Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2003 4:27:28 AM EDT
PRESIDENTIAL CAMPAIGNS: Clark opposed to concealed-weapons laws
BY ROBERT IMRIE
Associated Press

GREEN BAY, Wis. — As thousands of gun-touting hunters roam Wisconsin in search of deer, Democratic presidential hopeful Wesley Clark said Tuesday he opposes concealed weapons laws like the one recently passed by the Wisconsin Legislature.

The retired four-star general from Little Rock, Ark., said he doesn't think people need concealed weapons for protection.

"If we need protection, we need other means of protection than concealed weapons," said Clark, explaining he owned 20 guns and has been shooting since boyhood. "I shot a lot of big guns and a lot of little guns. If you like big guns come into the Army."

Last week, Gov. Jim Doyle, also a Democrat, vetoed a bill that would have allowed qualified Wisconsin residents to carry concealed weapons in public. The Republican-controlled Legislature had earlier approved it.

Clark made his first campaign trip through Green Bay on Tuesday, the fourth day of Wisconsin's nine-day gun deer hunt. Clark hosted a town hall meeting for about 350 people at the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay.

Like other politicians visiting Titletown, some of the first words from Clark's lips invoked the name of the hometown favorite Green Bay Packers.

"I love this football team. I hope Brett Favre's thumb gets better," Clark said, drawing laughter from the crowd.

At the end of his 40-minute forum, a UW-Green Bay student presented Clark with a Favre No. 4 jersey. Clark put it on, posed like a quarterback and pretended to throw a pass.

'100 PERCENT' AGAINST MEDICARE BILL

Clark said he was 100 percent opposed to the sweeping Medicare changes approved Tuesday by the Senate and said they are bad for the country.

He agreed with a 76-year-old woman who said she was appalled the AARP supported the bill.

"It won't help the people who really need it. But it will destroy Medicare. It gives a big bonus to the HMOs," Clark said. "It is a Republican Trojan Horse bill, and when I become president, I'm going to fix it."

The measure, which both of Wisconsin's senators opposed, includes a prescription drug benefit for 40 million older and disabled Americans and would give private insurers a large new role in health care for seniors. The Senate's vote sends the bill to President Bush, who is expected to sign it into law.

Wisconsin's presidential primary has moved from the first week of April to Feb. 17, making it one of the earlier states to cast ballots in the race and promising repeated visits from candidates like Clark, who campaigned Monday in Milwaukee.

A poll released Nov. 13 showed none of the nine Democratic candidates for president has a clear lead in Wisconsin.

Clark promised Tuesday to make repeated trips to Wisconsin, calling it a "microcosm of America" that provides a good testing ground for his ideas.

Clark repeatedly attacked President Bush for what he said was his lack of leadership on almost every major issue — job creation, the war in Iraq, the fight against terrorism and tax cuts for the rich.

"This is an election, not about jobs, not even about Iraq. But about democracy. I stand for it and he doesn't," Clark said.

TINY STEPS IN IRAQ

Clark called the war in Iraq to oust Saddam Hussein from power a "$150 billion distraction" in the fight against terrorism.

Clark, a former supreme allied commander of NATO forces in Europe, said the key to peace in the Middle East was American leadership that calls for Israeli security and a Palestinian homeland.

He said before President's Bush's "grand visions of a road map" for peace can ever become a reality, there must be "little slender ideas" that both sides can accept and tiny steps to restore trust.

"The key to Middle East peace is American leadership, in the area, on the ground, working again and again and again to make a conceptual road map a reality. I did it in the Balkans," Clark said.

Norman Rupp, 42, of Green Bay, was impressed by Clark, especially his guarantee of health insurance for every person in America age 22 or younger and his plan to go to Canada to buy prescription drugs at much lower costs.

"He is a very intelligent guy," said Rupp, a Democrat. "I like what he had to say. I wish I would have heard a little more about his health issues. I am sure going to give him some serious consideration."
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 4:30:42 AM EDT
[#1]
"If we need protection, we need other means of protection than concealed weapons," said Clark
View Quote

Like WHAT?
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 4:34:40 AM EDT
[#2]
The police of course.  

We are very good at taking the report after the crime has been committed.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:02:23 AM EDT
[#3]
he is a dork
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:09:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
"If we need protection, we need other means of protection than concealed weapons," said Clark
View Quote

Like WHAT?
View Quote

A whistle [%|]
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:14:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:18:13 AM EDT
[#6]
The "General" is as big of a fuck-stick as I've seen in a while.  Wishy-washy no principled assclown.  Hey, that pretty much describes the rest of the field too, come to think of it!
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:22:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Not that I support Clark, but was his dismissal politically motivated?
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:26:59 AM EDT
[#8]

[b]"If we need protection, we need other means of protection than concealed weapons," said Clark, explaining he owned 20 guns and has been shooting since boyhood. "I shot a lot of big guns and a lot of little guns. If you like big guns come into the Army."
View Quote
[/b]

Stupid comment/point of view from a hypocrite former general.  This dude is just a 'Democratic presidental hopeful', and that's all he's going to be.

Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:27:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:33:06 AM EDT
[#10]
More sage widom from Weasely Clark.  Yippee!!

Monty
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:33:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Wisconsin is full of sheep who will eat his shit up. Very real chance this guy could be our next president. Scary...
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:36:17 AM EDT
[#12]
"I love this football team. I hope Brett Favre's thumb gets better," Clark said, drawing laughter from the crowd.

At the end of his 40-minute forum, a UW-Green Bay student presented Clark with a Favre No. 4 jersey. Clark put it on, posed like a quarterback and pretended to throw a pass

I wonder what Favre thinks of being pulled into this idiot's campaign.  I grew up in the same place as Favre, and don't think he would share the same attitude towards RKBA.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:37:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Clark is a anti-gun, coke snorting, child molester.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:37:43 AM EDT
[#14]
well, MR CLARK, (he sure aint my genral) has made similar statements before...

you will all note that the dems arent looking too good for the next election... i wonder why..
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:48:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Clark is a anti-gun, coke snorting, child molester.
View Quote

Now just a minute, Cheat! How do you know he snorts coke?
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 8:13:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Have you guys ever tried to listen to this guy speak off the cuff??  He can read a speech but if someone catches him off guard with a question the guy panicks and complete and total nonsense starts flowing from his lips.

It is sad really that someone who has accomplished so much could be so fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 4:48:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 4:57:44 PM EDT
[#18]
How the hell did that asshat become a 4 star general?  Maybe he was bedding Hillary?  He is one dumbshit.  He steps on his tongue every time he opens his yap.  Hey, who threw him in the fray?  The Clintons!  
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 5:05:16 PM EDT
[#19]
If you like big guns come into the Army."
View Quote

Ahem, [b]Suck my dick![/b]

is that plain enough for you?
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 5:18:18 PM EDT
[#20]
[url=http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/news/local/states/wisconsin/7350199.htm]Link[/url] to [b]sling438[/b]'s article
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 5:33:15 PM EDT
[#21]
"If you like big guns come into the Army."
View Quote

What a stupid f-ck.  That is his standard answer.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top