Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2003 10:11:48 PM EDT

Just confirmed that the guy I work with and collaborate much with is an anti.

Working with him today he gets a page. He calls it and it's his son (18yo college freshman - he's a real good kid). I overhear him talking to his son:

"Where are you? In a GUN STORE!? What are you doing in a GUN STORE??? Looking??? Looking for what?! Jason, get out of the gun store. No. Get out of the gun store. I'll talk to you later."

He hangs up shaking his head.

He mumbles something to himself like he's seen enough of what guns can do to last the rest of his life, and then some (he's a Vietnam vet, ex-combat medic).

Not wanting stick my nose in his personal business I said nothing.

[:\]

He's a good guy otherwise.

Link Posted: 11/26/2003 10:28:36 PM EDT
[#1]
OH MY GOD, THE GUNS MIGHT LOAD THEMSELVES, JUMP OUT OF THE CASE AND SHOOT YOU JASON!

Go back into the streets where you're SURELY safe!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 10:30:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I know a few guys like that.  To each their own.  I think a guy like that is entitled to his opinion.  Fortunately, it sounds like his son has a mind of his own.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 10:35:12 PM EDT
[#3]
the ex-combat medic might have something to do with it. not only has he seen what they can do, his job was to try and "patch" it up.

the last job i would want in the millitary is a medic.

Link Posted: 11/26/2003 10:52:07 PM EDT
[#4]
When he's out of his office, go sit in his chair, rip a 7+/10 fart, rub it in, then leave, and tell your other co-workers how bad he stinks.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:10:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a co-worker who's mom had shot herself with a family gun when he was a young teenager. Sometimes a personal event in one's life can overcome all logic and actual understanding. Just cause an unrational fear. Being in heavy combat, I could understand how one could develop a distaste for it and want to put the blame on a piece of metal.

Best just to not go thier with them, because thier fears are deep seated and irrational and not worth changing.

Too bad for the son though who will have no one to teach him proper gun handling.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 1:20:25 AM EDT
[#6]
He mumbles something to himself like he's seen enough of what guns can do to last the rest of his life, and then some [red](he's a Vietnam vet, ex-combat medic)[/red].

He's a good guy otherwise.
View Quote

Nuff said.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 3:48:29 AM EDT
[#7]
my father was somewhat of an anti until fairly recently, but got his ccw last year and has bought 3 pistols since. He was pretty close to buying a really nice Colt custom shop .45 on tuesday as part of our all-day gun shopping spree, I'll find out today if he did go back and get it. He's also been out pheasant hunting with my brother so I lent him my mossberg pump. I may give it to him for Christmas.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 4:45:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I worked a guy like that also, he saw that I was reading a gun magazine one day during lunch, and he asks are you one of those gun owners? and then precedes to lecture me on how he survived a Viet Cong attack at night.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 8:06:22 AM EDT
[#9]
I guess that explains why EMTs hate cars and firemen are forever telling people they shouldn't own matches or lighters.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 8:18:19 AM EDT
[#10]
It sucks that he's a good guy otherwise.  I don't know about you, but I'm pretty inflexible when it comes to firearms.  I'm quite understanding with regards to other areas and am content to let my friends hold their personal opinions, but I could never befriend an anti.  I dunno though, if he's a good guy maybe you could show him guns aren't all that bad.  Even if he decides they aren't for him, he may come to realize that guns are important to others.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 8:35:57 AM EDT
[#11]
His son is 18 he was probably filling out the 4473 right then.

Hell Jason is probably a member here.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 8:41:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sometimes a personal event in one's life can overcome all logic and actual understanding. Just cause an unrational fear.
View Quote

Yeah, that's weird.  There's this kid I work with here who was into hunting (he was to hunt deer at my parent's farm this fall) but a close relative killed himself earlier this year and the kid is just totally turned off about any kind of firearms.  He won't go hunting ("at least for a long time" he said) and he recently told me that he sold all of his guns...he's a heckuva young man (anyone from a High School with "Fightin' Coon" for a mascot has GOT to be alright!) and hopefully someday he'll come back into the fold.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 9:17:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Not wanting stick my nose in his personal business I said nothing.

bingo we have a winner here.  Getting things stirred up at work will be counterproductive for both of you.  He has issues that you can't deal with and you need to go with the flow with him.  

Link Posted: 11/28/2003 5:27:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Best leave it alone. Changing people's views AT WORK is like attempting a religious conversion. Not appreciated. I respect other views even if they are different from mine to a point. As with any job, your purpose in being there is to earn the employer money. The number one reason for termination is not being able to get along with other employees. Keep focused on why you are there while you are there. I've learned to keep your guns like your religion- to yourself. After you leave your time is your own.

rk

Link Posted: 11/28/2003 6:01:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Fill a bag with empty tin cans, get a big box of 22 LR and a single shot 22 rifle and take him out plinking. Don't even talk 2nd amendment, just 4 safety rules and have fun.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:07:00 AM EDT
[#16]
My cousin shot himself with a gun my Uncle had forgotten he'd owned.

He was about 15, and I have about 20 other cousins, some closer to his age.  I worry about how some of them will view guns after this.

On the bright side, 5 of us have CCW's, and my uncle is an officer, has a CCW, and used to have an FFL, and constantly complains how cops can't shoot.  Said every class he goes to about 2/3's of them are failing and losing their guns for a time.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 10:58:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

He mumbles something to himself like he's seen enough of what guns can do to last the rest of his life, and then some (he's a Vietnam vet, ex-combat medic).
View Quote

So he says...
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 11:03:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
the ex-combat medic might have something to do with it. not only has he seen what they can do, his job was to try and "patch" it up.

the last job i would want in the millitary is a medic.
View Quote

Amen. Also, do we know how old the son is?

Granted, I don't follow the guy's logic as described here, but I wouldn't be so quick to judge him.

My mother didn't like guns, but neither did she believe that they should be banned, controlled, etc. There's more to being an anti than just not liking guns.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 11:04:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I worked a guy like that also, he saw that I was reading a gun magazine one day during lunch, and he asks are you one of those gun owners? and then precedes to lecture me on how he survived a Viet Cong attack at night.
View Quote

You should have answered, "Really? Did you call 911?"

Remember, anyone who brags about combat wasn't there...
Top Top