Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2003 5:11:34 PM EDT
I just fried up some venison steaks in flour and butter for dinner.

Well,  it tasted fine but now I have a slight bitter after taste in my mouth.

My buddy brought this whitetail doe back from upstate New York.  

Do you think he hit the piss bag or is a little after taste normal??
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:21:30 PM EDT
[#1]
is that Keystone Light you're drinking ?
[:)]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:22:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:27:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
He gave you the "taint meat."  [}:D]
View Quote

No shit?  Should I throw this stuff out?

I was going to take a venison roast from the same deer to my mom's house tomorrow.  I don't want to take it is tainted.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:30:20 PM EDT
[#4]
It aint gonna taste like beef no matter how you cook it. Chicken doesn't taste like pork, does it?

A lot of the gamey taste in deer is because it's not handled and butchered properly. If you ride a beef around on the hood of a Jeep for half a day it will taste funny. You have to make sure that the musk glands are removed from the hams, shoulders and neck asap. Some people mistakenly remove the tarsel patch from the legs and think they took out the glands. WRONG. There are many tricks to butchering deer properly. I know many of them.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:33:22 PM EDT
[#5]
The backstraps taste great to me.
I had the same deer processed into some mild Italian sausage and my whole family spit it out.

Venison is light years away from beef. IMHO.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:37:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I talked to my buddy and he said the took the deer to a professional butcher.

He should have known what the hell he was doing.

Anyone else get a slight bitter aftertaste???

It tasted wonderful going down by the way.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:38:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:39:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Soak the meat in cold water with a pinch of table salt in the fridge, Change the water every couple of hours untill it's only very slightly pink. That should solve the problem.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:02:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Soak the meat in cold water with a pinch of table salt in the fridge, Change the water every couple of hours untill it's only very slightly pink. That should solve the problem.
View Quote

Thanks,  doing it right now!!!!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:29:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
He gave you the "taint meat."  [}:D]
View Quote

Yep, flying right over the head...!

[BD]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:54:05 PM EDT
[#11]
The drive from New York to Nevada with the deer on the roof might have something to do with it.

Soak the meat in milk overnight.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:39:40 PM EDT
[#12]
"Taint"
That area between the pussy and the asshole.
Taint pussy and it Taint asshole.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:41:12 PM EDT
[#13]
... spit out the bullet
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:06:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
... spit out the bullet
View Quote

[rofl2]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:12:39 PM EDT
[#15]
DUDE thats the Gameeeee taste everyone talks about since nobody is listening I'll give you the secret.......soak it in BEER for say 5-10 min....Then cook.... tastes great.....less filling if you use miller lite

Carhlr
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:14:05 PM EDT
[#16]
If there is ANY fat on it, remove it.  THat could be a bit of the cause.  Deer fat is very strong, it doesn't add to the flavor like in beef...
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 12:39:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Like has been said, it's all in how you prepare/take care of the meat. We clean our deer ASAP, put the meat in giant coolers, pour ice over them, then salt on top of the ice (and keep putting ice/salt in as it melts), tip the coolers, and open the drains*. It works pretty well IMHO.
I eat the backstrap as is, the rest I take to the butcher and have made into sausage.

*When the water runs out clear, not red, we pull the meat out.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 1:01:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Like has been said, it's all in how you prepare/take care of the meat. We clean our deer ASAP, put the meat in giant coolers, pour ice over them, then salt on top of the ice (and keep putting ice/salt in as it melts), tip the coolers, and open the drains*. It works pretty well IMHO.
I eat the backstrap as is, the rest I take to the butcher and have made into sausage.

*When the water runs out clear, not red, we pull the meat out.
View Quote

Yep, have to agree on this one. This is the way I do it also and never had any funny taste to any of my venison. Matter of fact have three on ice now, waiting to be butchered. Was a good week hunting.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 1:27:53 AM EDT
[#19]
The biggest mistake most people make in proccessing wild game is that within 48 hours after the kill the meat is wrapped in the freezer.
There are natural bacteria in the meat that will break down that gummy substance you speak of and tenderize the meat if the deer is allowed to hang in a cooler for at least 12 days before butchering, The same proccess is applied to beef.
Like Pangea said, there are musk glands in the deer that you want to remove even before hanging the deer.
Other methods do help, like some said to soak the meat in milk/beer, this also introduces the bacteria.
If you harvest and process beef the same way people do with deer, it comes out much the same way.
IMO, proccessed properly, Elk is the best meat on the planet.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 3:04:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Remove the fat, and the bone before cooking.
A lot of the Game flavor resides there.
Don't overcook i, it quickly gets dry and nasty if overdone. Cook it just  a tad more rare than you would beef.  And provide some "fat" or liquid to make up for what  isn't there to start with (don't over-do it.)
Some of it does require more than this, I've eaten some meat from a big old buck that I could never get right. An old timer told me that this comes from what he was eating,  which could have been something like pine, or cedar.
(This was an Adirondack's deer, they eat whatever is in the mountains. Most of what we get in upstate N.Y. is corn fed and pretty tasty.)
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 5:42:48 AM EDT
[#21]
It's the fat. Deer fat is very nasty.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 5:54:02 AM EDT
[#22]
If it don't taste good -- don't eat it, how hard is that ?  How many ways you guys  [b]going to try and make it taste good[/b] .
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 6:01:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:03:36 AM EDT
[#24]
What was the deer eating? The deer we get around here taste like quality beef because they are corn and soybean fed. You get one that's been eating pine needles or some such and it's gonna have an off-taste.
Handling the deer is important too. You need to have it gutted within an hour of it's death. You have to do that without letting any of the guts or bladder leak. Leakage will give it a bad taste for sure. That's why it's so bad to gut shoot one. You need to get it hung up soon after that. Then the skin should be off as soon as possible after that. The whole key is to get it cooled. Deer can lie in the snow without melting it, that's how good an insulator deer hair is. It must be quickly removed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top