Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2003 5:57:19 AM EDT
"Well, too bad! We're in this for the species, boys and girls. It's simple numbers. They have more. And every day I have to make decisions that send hundreds of people like you to their deaths."
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:01:57 AM EDT
[#1]
"It's my arm sir. I think it's broken..."

"[b]MEDIC[/b]"
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:38:53 AM EDT
[#2]
damn, I haven't watched that movie in a while.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:42:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
"I only have one rule. Everybody fights, nobody quits. You break my rule, I'll shoot you myself. You get me?"
View Quote

In unison: "WE GET YOU SIR!"
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:44:11 AM EDT
[#4]
" I`d expect anyone in this unit to do the same for me"!
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:47:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
"Well, too bad! We're in this for the species, boys and girls. It's simple numbers. They have more. And every day I have to make decisions that send hundreds of people like you to their deaths."
View Quote

Ah yes. Great line from The Movie That Should Not Be.

Abomination. Curses on you for quoting it.[;)]

Link Posted: 11/25/2003 7:02:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Ah yes. Great line from The Movie That Should Not Be.

Abomination. Curses on you for quoting it.[;)]

View Quote

Ya know I've never gotten around to reading the book.

For some reason I just love that movie (and not just mostly for the co-ed shower scene either) - and I hate the idea that I'd hate the movie after reading the book - so I've been putting it off.  But I still can't ignore how great everyone says the book is...
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 7:07:11 AM EDT
[#7]
The best part of the book is the Armored Powered Suits.  This isn't even touched in the movie.

The book is 10 times better than the movie.  Don't put it off.  Read it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 7:09:27 AM EDT
[#8]
"One day someone like me is gonna kill you and your whole FUCKIN' RACE!"
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 7:18:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Painless is almost right.  The book is at [b]least[/b] 20x better IMHO.

The movie was good eye candy and fairly well done, but the book + imagination is much better and has quite a few subtle comments/criticisms of society that I agree with.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 7:22:54 AM EDT
[#10]
[url=http://datacore.sciflicks.com/starship_troopers/sounds/starship_troopers_bug_hole.wav]Shoot a nuke....[/url]

[url=http://datacore.sciflicks.com/starship_troopers/sounds/starship_troopers_live_forever.wav]You want to live....[/url]

[url=http://datacore.sciflicks.com/starship_troopers/sounds/starship_troopers_naked_force.wav]Naked force.....[/url]

[url=http://funwavs.com/wavfile.php?quote=4201&sound=328]Need a new LT....[/url]

[url=http://funwavs.com/wavfile.php?quote=4202&sound=328]I need a Cpl....[/url]

[url=http://funwavs.com/wavfile.php?quote=4204&sound=328]More than two legs...[/url]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 7:31:41 AM EDT
[#11]
READ THE F($%*$ BOOK! [:D]

I saw the film before I read it.  I still love the movie for what it is, a good SciFi, blow shit up, wave the flag, we're the good guys flick.

The book will make you think.  A Good Thing™... and you'll love it.

If I had read the book and then saw the movie, I'd probably hate it like a lot of people do.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 7:50:03 AM EDT
[#12]
I look at the book and the movie as totally unrelated. They happen to have the same name. That's the only parallel, even the names are wrong for the most part. There isn't a problem with watching the movie then reading the book. The bad part was reading the book then watching the movie expecting the movie to be like the book.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 7:59:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The best part of the book is the Armored Powered Suits.  This isn't even touched in the movie.

The book is 10 times better than the movie.  Don't put it off.  Read it.
View Quote

I was looking forward to seein gthe Power Armor in the movie. I was VERY disappointed that they didn't put that in. They might have been this movie's one saving grace.....

Overall, I thought it was terrible and I never read the book....
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:37:47 AM EDT
[#14]
The movie was, for the most part, crap.  But it did have one thing the book did not....

Dina Meyers...NAKED! [banana]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:51:48 AM EDT
[#15]
If you see the movie before you read the book, you can enjoy both.

The movie was great.

Then I read the book.

Different, (but slightly related).  It was great.

If you try to compare one to the other, the movie is not true to the book at all.

But all by itself, the movie was great.

TXL
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 9:08:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The movie was, for the most part, crap.  But it did have one thing the book did not....

Dina Meyers...NAKED! [banana]
View Quote

What he said!  [wow]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 9:53:57 AM EDT
[#17]
"Starship Troopers" right?
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 9:54:15 AM EDT
[#18]
"Bug Wars"
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 10:15:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
"Starship Troopers" right?
View Quote
Would you like to know more?
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 11:47:32 PM EDT
[#20]
The scene near the beginning, in the classroom.  Casper Van Diem is sitting in the first desk in a row, talking to the teacher.  In a desk at the back of the room, just visible over Casper's shoulder, is a red-haired girl.

That red-haired girl is my sister-in-law.

She is an "actress". The only acting she has done is as an extra in this movie.

And I have to hear the f*cking story about how she was in this movie and earned $500 for two days of work EVERY SINGLE TIME THE FAMILY GETS TOGETHER!

I used to like the movie.  I don't anymore.

Dave
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 11:52:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

War made Doogie bitter.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:02:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The scene near the beginning, in the classroom.  Casper Van Diem is sitting in the first desk in a row, talking to the teacher.  In a desk at the back of the room, just visible over Casper's shoulder, is a red-haired girl.

And I have to hear the f*cking story about how she was in this movie and earned $500 for two days of work EVERY SINGLE TIME THE FAMILY GETS TOGETHER!

Dave
View Quote

Hell IF that makes you an actor then I am one too.

I am in 'the People vs Larry Flynt', I am in the courtroom scene near the back in a ugly ass leisure suit.  You can see me jumping up and yelling at one point during a courtroom 'disturbance'.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:55:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Kill them!  Kill them all!
got the movie the other day at walmart.  Book was much better.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:58:40 AM EDT
[#24]
"Dammit, Jim, I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!"

Whoops! Wrong movie! [shock]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:03:40 AM EDT
[#25]
You have to accept the fact that the book and the movie tell two different stories. They share a title and some characters, but that's about it.

The book is an outstanding treatise on the value and meaning behind the innocuous term "citizen."

The movie is a fairly standard sci-fi interspecies shoot-em-up.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 10:07:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The book is an outstanding treatise on the value and meaning behind the innocuous term "citizen."
View Quote

I blame it all on R.A.H.  If I hadn't read Starship Troopers in Jr High (along with Animal Farm & Fahrenheit 451) I would be a clueless, happy little sheeple today.  Reading the afterlogue of ST (Who was Rodger Young?)
put the exclamation point on the whole book.  [usa]

The movie is a fairly standard sci-fi interspecies shoot-em-up.
View Quote

The movie "Aliens" is probably closer to the spirit of Starship Troopers than ST the movie is.  "Is this going to be a stand up fight or another bug hunt?" & the powerlifter fight being the most obvious.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 10:42:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dave
View Quote

[red]Hell IF that makes you an actor then I am one too.[/red]

I am in 'the People vs Larry Flynt', I am in the courtroom scene near the back in a ugly ass leisure suit.  You can see me jumping up and yelling at one point during a courtroom 'disturbance'.
View Quote

Me too.  I never EVER thought about acting, but I got to be an extra in "The Grass Harp," which was filmed near where I live.  (Yeah, yeah, I know - it's a touchy-feely chick-flick [BD], but I got to meet several actors whose work I have always admired & it was fun...)  

I had the opportunity to be an extra in "Big Fish" (also filmed in Wetumpka, AL) but couldn't spare the time. [:(]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 10:44:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Heysuess Fuck!  

ST was a fun sci-fi popcorn kill the alien bug movie.  

Damn, it didn't have to have a stinking message or be like the book.  Just enjoy the fucker and move on.  It a damn movie for fuck's sake.  

Read Armor by John Steakley--that'a good ST like book too.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top