Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2003 4:47:52 PM EDT
Would appreciate any help on this.  My (unheated) garage is 600 sq. ft, and is fairly well insulated except for the dog door.  I currently have a 27,000 btu kerosene heater in there (along with two ceiling fans to move the air around).  Problem is that it takes quite a while to heat to a comfortable temperature, and when it's pretty cold outside (7-8 degrees), it won't heat up to more than 60-65 degrees in a reasonable amount of time.

We live in western CO in the desert, so the winters are usually pretty mild, and I don't want to spend a fortune, just $200-$300 or so.  Just wondering if anyone has a suggestion other than a second kero heater - something that would heat the garage a lot quicker.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Edited to add - I do have a stovepipe in the garage, but wouldn't be able to use a wood stove very often as the cars would be within a couple feet of it when they're parked in there.  I'm looking for something to heat the garage quickly for just a few hours use at night.  Any suggestions on specific heaters would be appreciated.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:53:41 PM EDT
[#1]
[size=6][red]PROPANE!!!!!!!!!!!!![/red][/size=6]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:58:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I have used both of those. I have a woodstove in my shop though because it's easily replinishable(is that a real word) and doesn't stink as bad as kerosene. A wood stove aint real choosey either. You can get old wood pallets to feed it for free, just be careful where you dump the ash pan. My .02
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:08:27 PM EDT
[#3]
i would suggest a 150,000 BTU blower propane heater for that application, let me see if i can find one online for you...............
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:08:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have used both of those. I have a woodstove in my shop though because it's easily replinishable(is that a real word) and doesn't stink as bad as kerosene. A wood stove aint real choosey either. You can get old wood pallets to feed it for free, just be careful where you dump the ash pan. My .02
View Quote

Thanks, would like a wood stove, but it's not practical in my garage as we park our cars in there, and the stove would be a couple feet from each car.  Also, I'm a CPA, and during tax season I get home too late to babysit a wood stove for a few hours per night.  Thought about getting one just for the weekends when company comes over, though, and we park the cars outside.

Oh, and replenishable is a real word!
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:12:20 PM EDT
[#5]
[img]http://www.propaneproducts.com/images/lbwhite/lbw-forcedair.gif[/img]

that would be my suggestion but they want $438 for it................ill keep looking

[img]http://www.propaneproducts.com/images/mrheater/mrh-mh250c.gif[/img]

$192 for this one, which is a variable, up to 250,000 BTU only it doesnt blow the heat around, works like any other heater.  this one will draw the same amount of gas and will also require a 100# cylinder to run without freezing up
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:12:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
i would suggest a 150,000 BTU blower propane heater for that application, let me see if i can find one online for you...............
View Quote

Cool, that might be what I'm looking for.  One of those Salamander things?  I haven't looked for a couple years, and always had a couple questions - does the propane tank need to be stored outside, and the propane piped (hosed, whatever) in through the wall?  I could set one of those small propane tanks on the outside of the garage and drill a hole for the hose if necessary.

BTW, do you know Hank Hill?  [:D]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:15:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Cool, that might be what I'm looking for. One of those Salamander things? I haven't looked for a couple years, and always had a couple questions - does the propane tank need to be stored outside, and the propane piped (hosed, whatever) in through the wall? I could set one of those small propane tanks on the outside of the garage and drill a hole for the hose if necessary.

BTW, do you know Hank Hill?  
View Quote

with that size heater you could do it one of two ways, you could pipe it into an existing propane line in your house and run it off of your house tank if you have one or you would have to buy a 100# propane cylinder to run it off of (anything smaller will freeze from the amount of gas it burns)  yes you could put the bottle in the garage if you dont have a house tank.  those forced air heaters blow the heat a good distance and will warm up a small space very quickly and very effectively.  we use one at our shop to warm up the whole damn thing and its a good sized building
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:22:46 PM EDT
[#8]
maybe we'll get paired for the christmas gift exchange and i can get you one at my cost [;)]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:25:15 PM EDT
[#9]
"Some day, I'm going to sell propane and propane accessories.  If my grades are good enough."
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:25:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
with that size heater you could do it one of two ways, you could pipe it into an existing propane line in your house and run it off of your house tank if you have one or you would have to buy a 100# propane cylinder to run it off of (anything smaller will freeze from the amount of gas it burns)  yes you could put the bottle in the garage if you dont have a house tank.  those forced air heaters blow the heat a good distance and will warm up a small space very quickly and very effectively.  we use one at our shop to warm up the whole damn thing and its a good sized building
View Quote

Thanks for the info!  We don't have a household propane tank - we're on natural gas here (which has shot up 76% this year, so I don't want to use that for a heater).  I found one of the 100,000 btu L.B. White heaters for $202, which would probably do the trick.

Do propane heaters need to be vented outside?  I know nothing about these things, but I'll certainly be looking into them more.  Thanks again!
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:38:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Do propane heaters need to be vented outside? I know nothing about these things, but I'll certainly be looking into them more. Thanks again!
View Quote

not for this size, not a problem, just stick it in the room, light it up and make sure your flame is right.  100,000 BTU should do the trick just fine, its the fan that does all the work for those type heaters really.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:53:38 PM EDT
[#12]
The only experience I've had with those was working in tents on Rose Parade Floats many many years ago and we didn't worry about Carbon Monoxide because there was a lot of air leakage in and out.

If I was to put one in a closed space like a garage, I'ld think a Carbon Monoxide alarm would be a cheap insurance policy.  Yeah they're supposed to burn clean, but the result of a problem is pretty permanent.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:56:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I suggest you hire a yardman with a green card and a house of his own. Then you won't have to worry about heating the garage.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:58:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Do propane heaters need to be vented outside? I know nothing about these things, but I'll certainly be looking into them more. Thanks again!
View Quote

not for this size, not a problem, just stick it in the room, light it up and make sure your flame is right.  100,000 BTU should do the trick just fine, its the fan that does all the work for those type heaters really.
View Quote

TexRdnec, thanks for all of the info.  I'm going propane for the heater.....just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to asphyxiate or blow myself up with a propane heater in the garage!

It's been below freezing for the last couple days here, and am getting fed up with the Kero heater in the garage.  We're having a bunch of guests over for Thanksgiving, and usually end up in the garage with cigars and looking at guns, so I'm planning on buying something in the next few days to warm it up in there.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:01:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If I was to put one in a closed space like a garage, I'd think a Carbon Monoxide alarm would be a cheap insurance policy.  Yeah they're supposed to burn clean, but the result of a problem is pretty permanent.
View Quote

Geez, I should have thought of that YEARS ago!  Excellent suggestion - I'm buying one tomorrow.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:10:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Get propane.  Less likly to have CO problems with propane.  And with the kero, if you don't have the flame right it will leak kerosene all over the place.  Plus you don't want the garage to smell like Sh@t, I'm mean Kerosene.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:26:35 PM EDT
[#17]
You are going to go DIE if you use propane or kerosene heaters inside!

Call your local fire dept. for the PROPER heater to use and how to hook it up so as not to kill yourself with "carbon monoxide" emissions.

Carbone Monoxide is odorless and it will put you to sleep as in DIRT NAP.

Every year people are killed by these gases and yet people keep making the same mistakes.

The heaters posted are for WELL VENILATED areas or outside.

Get info from fire department or DIE.

Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:35:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You are going to go DIE if you use propane or kerosene heaters inside!

Call your local fire dept. for the PROPER heater to use and how to hook it up so as not to kill yourself with "carbon monoxide" emissions.

Carbone Monoxide is odorless and it will put you to sleep as in DIRT NAP.

Every year people are killed by these gases and yet people keep making the same mistakes.

The heaters posted are for WELL VENILATED areas or outside.

Get info from fire department or DIE.

View Quote

TWHaz, well aware of those hazards - the heater is not used *in* the house, only in the garage.  The garage is insulated, but there are quite a few 'holes' in the insulation - garage doors with minimal seals, dog doors, etc, which is why I'm having a hard time keeping it warm.  It gets drafty at times.

Thanks for the concern.  I'm buying a CO detector to install in the garage just in case, though.

Edited to add that I've used the kero heaters in the garage for the last 9 years without dying, so there must be sufficient airflow for them.  If a propane heater is much more efficient, I'll probably open a window a bit as well, just for the fresh air (the garage is the "smoker's lounge").
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:37:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Propane is the only way to go if you don't want to burn wood.  You can get a 5,000-10,000BTU ventless propane heater at Lowe's for around $150 and a 100lb. propane tank for alittle under $100, that should heat a 600sp. foot garage just fine.  I've got a 10,000-20,000BTU natural gas heater in the center of a 1300sq. foot house and it keep the back end of the house nice and warm on low.  I've got a wood stove in the family room that's rated at 35,000BTU and it'll heat the whole house just fine.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:37:23 PM EDT
[#20]
[LOLabove]

[rolleyes]"you're gonna die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:44:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Why am I going to die??? These are home heaters that are ventless, they are made for using in a home.  The heaters like you suggested are for an open building and not for home use. If he'll get a good ventless heater like they sell at Lowe's or Home Depot he'll be fine.  We've been using ventless gas heaters for years with no ill effects.  But with gas prices going up I put in a wood stove so I could save some money this winter.  Don't have a clue what you're talking about with all this "going to die" stuff.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:44:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Propane is the only way to go if you don't want to burn wood.  You can get a 5,000-10,000BTU ventless propane heater at Lowe's for around $150 and a 100lb. propane tank for alittle under $100, that should heat a 600sp. foot garage just fine.  I've got a 10,000-20,000BTU natural gas heater in the center of a 1300sq. foot house and it keep the back end of the house nice and warm on low.  I've got a wood stove in the family room that's rated at 35,000BTU and it'll heat the whole house just fine.  
View Quote

We just had a Lowe's open up here in town last Friday, I'll check it out!
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:45:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Google is a wonderful thing.

Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:51:26 PM EDT
[#24]
The kero heaters I have in the garage are rated for ventless home use as well - I made sure of that before I bought them.  Personally, I'm not sure I would want to use them inside the home (due to the smell, and I'm not really into the idea of having flaming burners inside the house), but I think they're fine for the garage as it's more ventilated than inside the house.

Re the propane heaters, if they're also rated for indoors (ventless), I wouldn't have a problem using them in the garage.  Our house is heated by natural gas, which is cheaper than using propane out of the small tanks.  However, I wouldn't want to heat my garage 24/7 with natural gas when I only use it for a couple hours per night at most.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:52:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Russian Roulette

Edited to add that I've used the kero heaters in the garage for the last 9 years without dying, so there must be sufficient airflow for them. If a propane heater is much more efficient, I'll probably open a window a bit as well, just for the fresh air (the garage is the "smoker's lounge").
View Quote

In other words , You know there is a risk, but you are willing to risk your life on it.

Ask your family what they think?

Call the fire dept. please and get a professional opinion.

No slam intended, just honest concern.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:17:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Russian Roulette

Edited to add that I've used the kero heaters in the garage for the last 9 years without dying, so there must be sufficient airflow for them. If a propane heater is much more efficient, I'll probably open a window a bit as well, just for the fresh air (the garage is the "smoker's lounge").
View Quote

In other words , You know there is a risk, but you are willing to risk your life on it.

Ask your family what they think?

Call the fire dept. please and get a professional opinion.

No slam intended, just honest concern.
View Quote

Not slamming you either, but if I wanted to eliminate all risk, I'd live in a cave (and probably be killed by a stalactite [;)])  I also wear a seat belt, but that doesn't guarantee I'll survive an accident on the way to work (hmm, that's another risk).  And my home is heated by a natural gas furnace underneath the house - another risk there.  Looks like there's risks everywhere.....

Seriously, I picked the heaters that were approved for use *inside* a home, which I wouldn't do.  My garage lets in plenty of air....lots more than the household.  The dog door isn't one of those wimpy little things - I have two German Shepherds, and the door is the XXL size that lets in far more cold air than I'd like.

Not a bad idea to call the fire department anyway, but like I said in a previous post, if I get something that will heat the garage quickly, I'll have a window open for the air to replace the cigar smoke.  I might check with the fire department tomorrow for the helluvit.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 7:23:01 AM EDT
[#27]
TWHaz,

There are plenty of heaters, propane and kerosene, that are made to be used inside with no external venting. They are UL listed for interior use.  They are not rated by your local FD.

Even some of the heaters listed in this thread, Salamanders and tophat heaters can be used in enclosed areas, as per the manufactures instructions.

Is the sky falling, too?
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 10:53:50 AM EDT
[#28]
hell, im a third generation propane salesman AND ex volunteer firefighter.............[:D]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 11:36:24 AM EDT
[#29]
don't use a radiant kerosene heater. they work, but take forever to warm the shop up. you need one of the forced air kerosene heaters such as this one. [img]http://www.heatershop.com/images/K125_small.gif[/img]

this one in the pic is only $299 and 125,000 BTUs. my father in law heats his shop with one that is slightly larger(155,000 BTUs). his shop is a large 2 car, within 5 minutes we are shucking our jackets off. just have to make sure they are pointed in a safe direction. we had it pointed right at a vehicle we were working on and burnt the paint off of a small area.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:00:13 PM EDT
[#30]
[img]http://www.wvah.com/programs/kingofthehill/hankhill.jpg[/img]

[hank hill] ya know I could just go on and on about the wonderful things that propane can do you for you. it cooks food, heats your house and all that. but pardner you would be a dang fool if you use kerosene. propane is god's gift to man it's clean, it burns evenly and best of all it's cheap. that's a pretty important factor when you're raising a son who will turn out to be a loser and probably never leave home. or a niece who's a airhead slut that will end up living here forever as well....I'm sure you might want to save some money if you have a situation like mine. yep propane[/hank hill]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top