Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2003 9:57:55 AM EDT
I'm ready to open carry, any thoughts? I'll be carrying a 1911 in an Uncle Mike's #5 belt holster.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:07:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm assuming Ohio has an open carry law.  Be veeery careful though.  I'm sure some of your cities have laws prohibiting you from doing so.  Here in Nebraska if you're open carrying and get into an automoble with the gun holstered on your belt, it's considered concealed. Believe this or not, the gun needs to ride on the dashboard.  It's stupid laws like this that can get you in trouble.  I'd do some research before starting open carry.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:11:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Check out the Ohio forum under the Hometown section.

Some are open carrying in Ohio.

I live in a suburb of Cleveland, so it is a definate no-go for me.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:17:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:15:25 AM EDT
[#4]
same thing up here in michigan campy, when the ccw laws were geared at people who knew someone people thought of open carry, and were told that they would be prosecuted for brandishing, or making the public afraid....
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:20:13 AM EDT
[#5]
The possible difference between Ohio and Michigan is that Ohio's constitution guarantees the right to bear arms for self defense.  This was affirmed by the Supreme court a few months ago, while they at the same time upheld a legislative ban on CCW.  Basically, in their decision they said "Ohioans can open carry, it's been that way forever."

Local ordinances against open carry are unconstitutional, tho I haven't challenged any of them....

And this is not legal advice.
Scott
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:34:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Not sure specifically what Ohio's constitution says, but since 1963 MI's Article I Section 6 states the following and we STILL had problems with "brandishing" until CCW reform a couple years ago. Hmmm, seems pretty unambiguous to me.

"Every person has a right to keep and bear arms for the defense of himself and the state."
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:43:13 AM EDT
[#7]
good luck dude
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top