Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2003 12:43:14 PM EDT
Specifically looking for online store that sells those 12 foot sections of OD rope the military uses to make rappel harness from.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 12:55:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think anyone will sell you just 12' of rope. Most places sell it by the 150' or 600' as far as I've seen.

Instead of a rope Swiss seat, go to REI and buy a length of good stout flat nylon strap and have them sew it in a loop for you. You'll have to play with the length a bit to get it right. Put the loop behind your back and pull it in from the sides to it meets in front, then put a carabiner through the two loops. Then pull the other end up between your legs and put that loop on the biner as well. It should fit snug at this point. You now have a great field expedient harness.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I just checked out REI. They have tubular webbing cut to order. That should work just fine. I have used the way you described before so I know what you mean. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:13:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Learn to tie a waterknot and you can keep the webbing loose to be used for whatever up to it's full length.  Waterknots are the standard knot for tying webbing anchors in climbing.  It is essentially a rethreaded overhand knot.  Leave long enough tails that you can tie a safety knot in them as a just in case measure. Waterknots are self tightening though so unless you really foul it up, it will never give way on you in use.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:26:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Jeez, man, come on. For $25 I bought a Black Diamond climbing harness to use with my safety strap when hunting out of treestands. Sure, you can MAKE a Swiss seat, but why take a chance and complicate matters when you can just BUY a complete, totally safe harness?

Link Posted: 11/25/2003 1:58:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I would go to CAMP. They make awesome harnesses. Get the Numbat. Thats what I'm using for recreational and SAR stuff.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 3:32:31 AM EDT
[#6]
REI, Mountion Gear. Not sure if they sell short ropes to make a Swiss Seat.
They do have harness's, figure 8's and the rest of the climbing gear.
A harness is alot better than a Swiss Seat.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:35:05 AM EDT
[#7]
CAMPMOR

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/CategoryDisplay?cgrfnbr=232&cgmenbr=226
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:59:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I will say that a properly sewn (and padded) harness is FAR superior to a field expedient swiss seat, but my assumption was, based on context, that a harness was not what the original poster wanted.

I use a Black Diamond Bod harness myself.  It is comfortable and secure.  In the winter, on moutaineering trips, I have worn it loosely over my clothing and tightened it up when needed for actual protection.  The alpine bod is a version that does away with the gear loops and padding on the assumption that it will be used over heavy alpine mountaineering clothing anyhow.

Mountain Gear is a great online and catalog outlet.   I buy much of my stuff through brick and mortar businesses though.  I like to put my hands on stuff before laying out money, especially climbing gear where my life would be on the line.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 11:49:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Black Diamond Equipment rules!!! www.bdel.com
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 1:45:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Mountain gear is a great place to find this type of gear
[url]www.mgear.com[/url]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 3:20:23 PM EDT
[#11]
[url]www.campmoor.com[/url]
[url]www.rei.com[/url]
[url]www.ems.com[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top