Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2003 6:50:24 AM EDT
Just started it and am about 1/2 way through.  Israelis had a spy in the Egyptian inner circle but nevertheless didn't take his warning to heart.  Hussein makes a secret trip to see Meir and warn her.  Good stuff, plus a love story and some miracles of survival.

If anyone has some recommendations on books on this war I'd like them.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 9:15:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Does he cover Israel getting so worried that they ordered their nuclear weapons assembled and redied for delivery?
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:28:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Does he cover Israel getting so worried that they ordered their nuclear weapons assembled and redied for delivery?
View Quote

Yes, there is the "Temple" weapons decision where they stood the missiles up and loaded 4 atomic bombs on jets.  Damascas and Cairo were targeted as Meir agreed they should suffer if Israel was destroyed.

The spy in the Egyptian government who was informing so well for the Mossad was actually a double agent.  Sure he gave them great information because his only role was to keep the date of attack secret.  He claimed the Egyptians were readying an attack in Feb and the Israelis  called up reserves, a VERY expensive undertaking.  Nothing happened and this only made if more likely that the Israelis would ignore almost any level of military buildup and activity.  Then the double agent warns them too late to try and keep his cover.  

It was almost unvelievable that the Israelis thought their fixed defense in the Sinai was adequate.  Their actions in denial of the massive buildups were pretty unexcusable but of course some of the worst came out smelling like a rose and the lone voices in the wilderness warning of the imminent were cast out, their careers destroyed.  All in all it left me with a lower opinion of the Israeli generals and the same high opinion of the field officers and soldiers.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:43:48 AM EDT
[#3]
If you are looking for interesting reads on the Arab wars on Israel, I recommend a biography of Moshe Diane.

I believe there are two published. One is an autobio, the other a bio.

-Z
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top