Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2003 4:20:54 PM EDT
It's a weird hypocritical world.  Byrd's history with the KKK, Russell's with White Supremacy, and the ceremonies were held at the Henry Wallace Center, named after the communist sympathizer Vice President circa Roosevelt.

Quite the pedigree, Russell mentors Byrd, Byrd mentors Hillary.........

I think Byrd got the medal for being the only voice against the Iraq invasion.      

Thursday,  Nov. 20, 2003   5:02 p.m. EST

Hillary Gives 'KKK' Byrd Freedom Award

In a little-noticed ceremony before she flew off to attend Iowa's Jefferson-Jackson Day Dinner Saturday night, Sen. Hillary Clinton presented ex-Klansman-turned-Senator Robert Byrd with the Franklin Roosevelt Institute's Four Freedoms Award.

Addressing the crowd in Hyde Park, N.Y., Mrs. Clinton praised Byrd as a mentor, saying he provided a wonderful example for her.

"When I think of the Senate, I think of Robert Byrd," the former first lady said, according to an account in the Hyde Park Townsman.

It was during Roosevelt's third presidential term that Byrd joined the Klan, saying he wanted to fight communism.   And though he left within a year, he continued to advise Klan leaders on how to expand the influence of the anti-black terror group.

In 1971, Byrd co-sponsored a measure to have the Senate's main office building named after Sen. Richard Russell, an unabashed white supremacist who led the fight against anti-lynching legislation in the Senate.

"He was kind of my mentor," Byrd said recently, noting that Sen. Russell was known as an expert on Senate rules, much like himself.

In 2001 Byrd was forced to apologize after he blurted out the "N"-word twice during a nationally televised interview.      
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 4:28:50 PM EDT
[#1]
That is a good way too cheapen an award.
Figures the Beast would be the presnter.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 4:29:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top