Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2003 6:56:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:08:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I've noticed that the Guest / User ratio has been at elevated levels the last month or two ... not sure of the reason for all the interest in the boards. Perhaps we're just one of the most entertaining destinations on the web! (Is that a metric for the quality of the posts found here, or a metric for the lack of quality found elsewhere on the web?) Perhaps it's due to the increased solar flare activity.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:40:45 PM EDT
[#2]
BATFE is watching, so they will know what to expect when TSHTF and martial law is declared.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:43:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Someone that understands the finer points of computers will have to answer that question. But something is wrong, no way that many "guests" are watching.By the way, what happned to spell check??
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:54:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Is this normal?

no,  and the number keeps going higher.
few weeks its been 1kish
past few days its been going up to 1700.
now it's almost 3k.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:07:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought I read a while back that the "Guest" cache needs to be purged every so often, and only Juan can do it. We all know that GB has a lot on his plate these days, and the creeping guest count is one of the things that indicates how busy he is.

Either that or all those John Allen Muhammed-wannabees just lookin' for the down-low one them phat Bushmasters.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:19:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Is this normal?

I don't know but I'm guessin' that alot of 'em (The guests) are like myself. I've been a member of this board for a couple of years and I've only got a handful of posts. I'm only showing up as a user now because I posted something a few days ago and the Army computer I'm on saved the cookie. 99% of the time I'm here I'm not logged in and am just checking on what's new in AR's.

I HAVE noticed since I've been back that there seem to be alot of folks with the same 10-20 posts and 2-3 yrs board membership so maybe that's what's going on (?)
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:33:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Something is way off.  3k guests?  Sounds like DOS to me.  

I had to get in using the mirror site.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:00:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I would guess we don't have an automatic log off,and people just don't log out as they leave!

I know on FA one time my computer locked up so I rebooted,then went out to do something and when I came back six hours later was still logged in!

I logged out and was told thank you, you are now logged out!

At CGUNNUTZ you are logged out as you leave!

Maybe this is the problem!

Bob
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:12:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Its cold outside now that's why I'm here more.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:25:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
267 (Paying) Users and 2756 (Lame-Ass Lurking) Guests...

For the humor impaired:  
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:52:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I would guess we don't have an automatic log off,and people just don't log out as they leave!

I know on FA one time my computer locked up so I rebooted,then went out to do something and when I came back six hours later was still logged in!

I logged out and was told thank you, you are now logged out!

At CGUNNUTZ you are logged out as you leave!

Maybe this is the problem!

Bob

No, thats not the problem, it would have happened years ago if it was.

There have been DOS attempts on this site. This is most likely another. The DUhers don't like this place.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:54:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Is this normal?

Are you kidding? Till just a couple months ago this site would shut down if it passed 2k total users. That its still running, even slowly, at 3k is a major improvement. I don't think I have ever seen 3k total users here before tonight...
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 10:01:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I've posted this before. The counter is screwed up, and has been for 2 years. There are not that many guests on board, just like there are not over 200,000 members. When it resets, there will be about 32,000 members and you'll notice that the guests will average under 200. A couple of days after the counter resets, the membership will be over 50k and the guests will have tripled. A couple more days later and the numbers will be over 100k members and about 1000 guests. And so on till it resets again.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:37:40 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I thought I read a while back that the "Guest" cache needs to be purged every so often, and only Juan can do it.

And why would this be the case?  This is not rocket science.  Surely GB could delegate some of this stuff.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:42:39 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought I read a while back that the "Guest" cache needs to be purged every so often, and only Juan can do it.

And why would this be the case?  This is not rocket science.  Surely GB could delegate some of this stuff.

Goaty gets off on the technowizardry.  No way would he delegate it
It also keeps all of us on the site staunchly loyal to one person instead of whoever has the coding abilities.  He is the king, we are the faithful serfs
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:43:30 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The code you see on this site was written entirely by GoatBoy himself. This is not commercial software. If you're unhappy with the way GoatBoy administers the site, I'm sure you can ask him for a full refund of your membership fee. Oh, wait ...
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:21:45 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
267 (Paying) Users and 2756 (Lame-Ass Lurking) Guests...

Excuse me but just because you don't UPGRADE your membership does not make you a Lame-Ass Lurking Guest. I have been a MEMBER of ar15.com since before the UPGRADE became available. And it was never meant to seperate users into two catagories one of which being a Lame-Ass Lurking Guest.

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:46:19 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Excuse me but just because you don't UPGRADE your membership does not make you a Lame-Ass Lurking Guest. I have been a MEMBER of ar15.com since before the UPGRADE became available. And it was never meant to seperate users into two catagories one of which being a Lame-Ass Lurking Guest.

Hunter out...

Sorry...trying to be funny.  The paying/nonpaying comes up a lot.  I guess I should have put a smiley for the sensitive.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 7:11:08 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't know but all morning and last night I was only able to go to certain area...Hometown and Team areas and that was it...another thing was no search feature was available and no IM's were working.  The only thing I would get was that "this page cannot be displayed" message.
This is my first post this morning after trying to get into GD since like 7AM.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 7:17:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Let's boot the guests and make them register!
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 7:19:24 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hunter out...

Sorry...trying to be funny.  The paying/nonpaying comes up a lot.  I guess I should have put a smiley for the sensitive.

Non-paying members are still users. Guests are non-logged in. Right?
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 7:37:40 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hunter out...

Copy that.

^5

Mental note to self: Relax Francis!

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 7:48:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:37:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:39:41 AM EDT
[#25]
.. .Al Queda trying to get a feel for what they're up against.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 10:39:11 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
.. .Al Queda trying to get a feel for what they're up against.

Well by all means let me be the first to cordially invite them to………
COME GET SOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top