Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2003 7:40:58 PM EDT
What can you say, except some people are hell-bent and determined on getting a rectal probing.  What a fkn maroon...

http://www.local6.com/money/2634288/detail.html

'Nigerian' Scam Robs Central Fla. Man Of $400,000
15 Deaths Linked To Scam
POSTED: 9:27 a.m. EST November 13, 2003
UPDATED: 7:20 a.m. EST November 18, 2003

ORMOND BEACH, Fla. -- A well-known e-mail scam has cost an elderly Ormond Beach man $400,000 -- his life savings.

Rupert Sessions, 73, thought taking a chance to get part of $7 million might "be a solution to some problems." But it wound up costing him $400,000.

The so-called "Nigerian 419 scam" has been around a while, according to investigators.

Bogus letters are sent all over the Internet, asking users to put up money to facilitate the transfer of a fake "fortune" to U-S banks.

The State Department has linked at least 15 deaths to the scam, as people are lured to Nigeria in search of their money. Sessions contributed $5,000 at a time, starting two years ago. He even wound up going to the Middle East in hopes of getting his share of the cash.

Sessions took out a second mortgage on his house and asked to borrow $140,000 from his son, who went to police.

Now he says he's "worse off financially" than he was when he was 20.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:42:50 PM EDT
[#1]
*smacks head*
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:44:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Umm

all I can do is shake my head.

Where are you when we need you Darwin?
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:49:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Why do old people get stupid? I though they were the "wise".
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:03:38 PM EDT
[#4]
greed
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:04:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I am constantly amazed at how people fall for this crap. There's a guy who has a website that he devotes to scamming the scammers - pretty humorous.

I get these almost daily on my work email and have devised a reply that has actually been slowly dropping the numbers of them over the last couple years. Feel free to borrow for a litle fun:

Dear Mr. Hambone Adonis, (insert humorous variation of scammer's name here)

I am vrey ivniogaretd by yuor new nwes. It is creatilny to be to yuor cderit
taht we can dsiopse of thsee mnoies in so cfnoditenail a way. I ralieze taht
sreccey is qiute ipmorantt and to fciailttae taht umotst  sreccey I hvae
tkean the leibrty to ecndoe tihs mseagse.

I tinhk the vrey bset and sceert paln wulod be to do the finwollog. Sned
yuor moiens via aiermacn eserpxs menoy oedrr in sraeevl dnereffit mnaiilgs
so as not to acarttt aiotttnen. Pesale sned aiotttnen rM. Stoct Hkae, c/o
P.O. Box 110, Apoletne, OR, 977xx, USA. Tihs is a sceert mlianig box I use
olny for the meartts msot in cnfodiecne. Pesale rmebeemr to gruad tihs
asderds msot sfealy and dleiesrcty. As soon as the meinos are sfleay
dposeteid in my mauutl anuocct I will bigen fwornidreg yuor srahe of the
loot to you.

I am amussing taht it is 100% lgael to hlod yuor meinos bfleiry for you and
tehn to rimet 80% bcak to you in sarevel menoy oerrds. I tinhk tihs paln
wlil wrok bset for all cocnnreed as I wlil hvae to tkae csidonlbaree tmie
form my raluger wrok for scuh an eomrnuos udnernikatg. Aslo, I usullay
cgrahe svreeal dnemcout fees for tihs arot of tihng. Heveowr, wtih
udnernidnatsg yuor msot dluciffit and dtaecile stoituian I tihnk a slpmie
fee of US$250 per ttoicasnarn will be msot fiar to you.

Yuor msot wllniig srenavt,

Stoct Hkae

To date I have had oly one person translate it and reply.

NMSight
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:07:36 PM EDT
[#6]
The old fart had $400,000 and felt he had money problems???

I vote GREED!

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:11:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I've gotten a bunch of these letters over the last 10 years. I recognize the address now and they just go in the trash.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:12:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I vote GREED!

Sgtar15

Also being a dumbass probaly had something to do with it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:20:21 PM EDT
[#9]
An accountant for a fish processing company was busted for embezzling $300,000 of the compny's money.  She claimed she lost it to Nigerian scammers, but no one believed that story.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:21:36 PM EDT
[#10]

The State Department has linked at least 15 deaths to the scam, as people are lured to Nigeria in search of their money.

Arfcom Fire Mission?
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:35:29 PM EDT
[#11]
If the elderly gentleman is affected by senility or Alzheimer's, then I'm very sad for his loss.
If he's an old fart with all his mental capacities intact, then he's a greedy sucker that got fleeced, and I don't care.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:37:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I get them every day. They're annoying. Prince of Poogapooga wishes to send you blah blah blah money just send him your life's savings etc.....

wouldn't be surprised if it was some terrorist group out there doing it. Some African rebel group.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:45:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I have mixed feelings about these scams.

It may be that they actually serve a beneficial purpose to the human race.

A sort of financial Darwinism, as it were.

Stupid people need to be discovered...and this is one sure-fire way to do exactly that.  And once their stupidity is revealed, I'd LIKE to see that stupid person's relatives step in and take control of his or her finances for his or her own protection.

My best friend's stepfather died a few years ago...on the exact night Princess Diana died, as a matter of fact.   His mother (real mother) was sort of a dingbat a la Edith Bunker, almost.  She was susceptible to anyone with an angle.  Tarot readings, psychotherapy, feng shui, herbal this and crystals that, all that new age crap...and the gypsies got to her.  

She'd received a death benefit from her husband that was closer to a million dollars than half a million.

Last I heard, the fucking gypsies had scammed her out of damned near every penny of it.

I don't know what's worse:  heartless scum who prey on the gullible,  or being so gullible that heartless scum can prey upon you.

I could cheerfully shoot every one of these scamming gypsies dead and sleep very well that night, knowing I had truly done nothing wrong.

CJ
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 9:13:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I was almost lured into that scam in a most deceitful way.

I was attempting to sell my motorcycle on autotrader.com.  A person contacted me an made a legitimate offer which I accepted.  A CERTIFIED CHECK arrived at my house in an amount about $5000 more than we had agreed.  He instructed me in an email that I can pay the agreed amount into my account and forward him the remainder via wire transfer.

This sent up the BS flag and the check, along with all the emails etc were given to the bank.  Last I heard was that it was going to be impossible to track down anything because the scams are SPONSORED by the Nigerian government and central bank.

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 9:32:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I was attempting to sell my motorcycle on autotrader.com.  A person contacted me an made a legitimate offer which I accepted.  A CERTIFIED CHECK arrived at my house in an amount about $5000 more than we had agreed.  He instructed me in an email that I can pay the agreed amount into my account and forward him the remainder via wire transfer.

This sent up the BS flag and the check, along with all the emails etc were given to the bank.  Last I heard was that it was going to be impossible to track down anything because the scams are SPONSORED by the Nigerian government and central bank.

That's a new twist.  Did you keep the extra $5k???
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 9:55:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The kicker with this method is the "certified" check turns out to be on a phony bank note. The bank comes looking for you to recover the funds, and if you have already wired the remaining 5000 you are out that much.
tony
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 10:42:41 PM EDT
[#17]
The 'Reverse 419' involves foreigners looking to buy vehicles or other parts with counterfiet bank checks.

AS for more 419 stuff, http://www.theregister.co.uk/ (TheRegister is a british IT webzine. The reporting ranges from 'Better than anything here' to 'Did I accidentally go to www.star.co.uk instead?') used to sell a 419 tee-shirt, and did a few articles on the subject a while back...
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 10:55:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I vote GREED!

Sgtar15

$400,000 doesn't go very far when you're retired.  I hope to have a minimum $25 mil when I retire.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:47:53 AM EDT
[#19]
here's what's funny.....these same old fucks, will drive to 3 different stores to save 4 or 5 cents on a product, and use up more in gas.....then when somebody comes along with a get rich scheme, they see dollar signs, and are greedy and stupid  to fall for it.

I just love seeing these old fucks, on one of those news magazine shows, telling how they got ripped off, and cry.....they cry and I laugh my ass off.

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:45:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Check this site out....

www.419eater.com/
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 5:51:43 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The kicker with this method is the "certified" check turns out to be on a phony bank note. The bank comes looking for you to recover the funds, and if you have already wired the remaining 5000 you are out that much.
tony

That's not THAT new a twist.  It has been reported many times and even my local newspaper has run articles on it.

If you try to get a personal meeting with the "buyer" (thief) and have him hand over the check or money to you, it won't happen.

The stuff I do sell is usually small ticket stuff, not worth such a complex scam, but despite that, as a matter of course, I won't release merchandise until even a cashier's check has completely cleared the banking system.  It's the only way to be absolutely sure.

CJ
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top