Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2003 4:39:40 PM EDT
I have been seeing the comercials for the Cat in the Hat for a while now, & my 6 yr old son want's me to take him to see it. I said yes, but I have my own personal resevations about it. You see,,,,, I have always been creeped out by Dr,Suess books, & his charecters. Some are tolerable, but most just seem creepy to me. I don't know why, but maybe it's what influenced me to become a cerial cat killer. I don't know for sure, but I think it might have it's roots in my childhood, & reading the Cat, & the Hat books.
Is anyone else creeped out by Dr.Suess books/charecters?
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:45:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm biased.

I come from a family of star-bellied sneeches.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:47:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't forget Myrtle the Turtle.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:52:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm biased.

I come from a family of star-bellied sneeches.

That is really funny.

I always liked Cat in the Hat when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:57:48 PM EDT
[#4]
When I was a young lad we had a record of Myrtle the Turtle, & Bartholomew Cubbins, & the Ubleck. Shiiiiiveeeer.
Star bellied sneeches are sonnies of beaches!
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:03:55 PM EDT
[#5]
My alltime favorite is 'the 500 hats of Bartholomew Cubbins'.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:35:49 PM EDT
[#6]
im still partial to "Green eggs and Ham" ...

sam I am

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:55:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I dunno, I always loved the cat in the hat, but a few months ago when I saw mike myers dressed as the cat in the hat in the grocery store I was emotionally disturbed.  I don't know what it is, but he looks freaky.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:55:33 PM EDT
[#8]
In the second grade I play Horton in "Horton hatches an Egg", in the school play.

Bobwrench
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:53:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I always loved Dr. Seuss's books and still do. However, I'd go see the movie solo before telling little ones I'd take them to see it, given the likelihood that the movie will either 1) ruin the book one way or another or 2) be filled with snide, precocious sexual or commercial references you wouldn't want them to see. Also, given the storyline, it'd be pretty easy (and for Hollywood, tempting) to remake the theme of the story into "Parents are Stupid Shitheads."
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:53:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
...Star bellied sneeches are sonnies of beaches!

Obviously, some of our members have no stars on thars.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:56:43 PM EDT
[#11]
The cat character in the movie looks creepy.  Id rather run into leatherface in an alley then that thing.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 9:14:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Before he wrote children's stories, Dr. Seuss was an ardent interventionist - pushing for more US entanglement in WWII.

June 23, 1941.

June 27, 1941.

See more here: Political Cartoons By Dr. Seuss

Yeah, he was a pinko.

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 9:37:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I thought it was Yurtle the turtle, not Myrtle...
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 10:13:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd like to see Picolo's & the SEC's review of the flick first.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 10:14:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 10:34:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
"The pale green pants with nobody inside them" scared me pretty good when I was a kid. I can still picture the drawing of the pants rowing a boat across a lake. [shivers]

What's that from? It sounds familiar but I can't place it.

BTW, for creepy but somehow lovable (and burned into my brain) how about "Dr. Goat put on his coat and went out to make some calls. . . .?"
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:19:34 AM EDT
[#17]
The Cat in the film looks kinda creepy.
But I grew up on those books big time.
I think the LoAx carryed a strider.
NoKArma
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:35:17 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The cat character in the movie looks creepy.  Id rather run into leatherface in an alley then that thing.

ditto. +1
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 5:44:18 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

You are correct...it IS Yurtle the Turtle.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:51:26 AM EDT
[#20]
LSD
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:58:42 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are correct...it IS Yurtle the Turtle.  

Yup
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:49:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 10:03:41 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Before he wrote children's stories, Dr. Seuss was an ardent interventionist - pushing for more US entanglement in WWII.

June 23, 1941.
orpheus.ucsd.edu/speccoll/dspolitic/pm/10623cs.jpg

June 27, 1941.
orpheus.ucsd.edu/speccoll/dspolitic/pm/10627cs.jpg

Yeah, he was a pinko.

I see nothing pinko here. The guy was pro U.S. involvement in world affairs. In the 2 you posted, he was obviously supporting our involvement in WWII. The America First crowd (Republicans primarily) was an isolationist bunch. That was who he was poking fun at.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 10:16:56 AM EDT
[#24]
I really would like to read "Horton Stomps a Who".

I've got to admit, Jim Carrey and the movie "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" was a VERY remarkable, and FAITHFUL, adaptation of the book.   Well done.

But possibly my favorite:

{excerpt]

Very well, then Mr. Knox, sir.
Let's have a little talk about tweetle beetles....

What do you know about tweetle beetles?
Well...

When tweetle beetles fight, it's called a tweetle beetle battle.

And when they battle in a puddle, it's a tweetle beetle puddle battle.

And when tweetle beetles battle with paddles in a puddle, they call it a tweetle beetle puddle paddle battle.

And when beetles battle beetles in a puddle paddle battle and the beetle battle puddle is a puddle in a bottle...

...They call this a tweetle beetle bottle puddle paddle battle muddle,
and...

When beetles fight these battles in a bottle with their paddles and the bottle's on a poodle and the poodle's eating noodles...

...They call this a muddle puddle tweetle poodle beetle noodle bottle paddle battle,
and...

Now wait a minute Mr. Socks Fox!

When a fox is in the bottle where the tweetle beetles battle with their paddles in a puddle on a noodle-eating poodle.
THIS is what they call...

...A tweetle beetle noodle poodle bottles paddled muddled duddled fuddled wuddled fox in socks, sir!

Fox in socks, our game is done, sir.
Thank you for a lot of fun, sir.

CJ
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 10:28:08 AM EDT
[#25]
In addition to childrens' books and political works, "Dr. Seuss" also published some erotic illustrations.  I saw the book at the local Barnes and Nobles a few years ago.  Not bad.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 11:11:08 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

June 23, 1941.
orpheus.ucsd.edu/speccoll/dspolitic/pm/10623cs.jpg

June 27, 1941.
orpheus.ucsd.edu/speccoll/dspolitic/pm/10627cs.jpg

Yeah, he was a pinko.

I see nothing pinko here. The guy was pro U.S. involvement in world affairs. In the 2 you posted, he was obviously supporting our involvement in WWII. The America First crowd (Republicans primarily) was an isolationist bunch. That was who he was poking fun at.

He was Pink I do think,
and I think he was Pink.

He was Pink in a sink,
He was Pink with a mink,
He was Pink like a fink,
who had drank too much drink!

He was Pink with a wink,
He was Pink in the clink,
He was Pink like a rink,
that was covered in ink!

He was Pink I do think,
and I think he was Pink!!

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 12:37:27 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
[
He was Pink I do think,
and I think he was Pink.

He was Pink in a sink,
He was Pink with a mink,
He was Pink like a fink,

He was Pink with a wink,
He was Pink like a rink,
that was covered in ink!

He was Pink I do think,

That's damn funny. I'd really like to see something better than the link to the cartoons on his views. The only thing I could find was his communism cartoons. They are hard to judge. a few are borderline in my mind, but I have no real knowlege of the DIES commitee or anti-red activities of the time. If they were witch hunts like Mcarthy in the 50's that's one thing. If they were really honest attempts to fight communism, thats another. Thanks again for the grin.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 12:42:12 PM EDT
[#28]
I never liked Dr. Suess. I preferred Babar and George of the Jungle.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 1:01:47 PM EDT
[#29]
I wont be seeing it. I have been banished to the pointless forest.
"me and my Arrow, wherever we go....."

Obleo.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:48:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Little known Dr Seuss books...

Who shat in the hat?
The flesh eating lorax
Mavin K Mooney, get the fuck out!
Your colon can moo, can you?
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

He was Pink I do think,
and I think he was Pink.

He was Pink in a sink,
He was Pink with a mink,
He was Pink like a fink,

He was Pink with a wink,
He was Pink like a rink,
that was covered in ink!

He was Pink I do think,

The evidence of these rhymes,
proves you have too much time!!

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 10:56:56 PM EDT
[#32]
I saw Dr. Suess's grave when we went to Boston on our 5th grade class trip.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 11:32:17 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I have been seeing the comercials for the Cat in the Hat for a while now, & my 6 yr old son want's me to take him to see it. I said yes, but I have my own personal resevations about it. You see,,,,, I have always been creeped out by Dr,Suess books, & his charecters. Some are tolerable, but most just seem creepy to me. I don't know why, but maybe it's what influenced me to become a cerial cat killer. I don't know for sure, but I think it might have it's roots in my childhood, & reading the Cat, & the Hat books.
Is anyone else creeped out by Dr.Suess books/charecters?

I hope the Spell Checker returns soon!
Thanks,
The Spelling Nazi

Link Posted: 11/23/2003 2:00:30 PM EDT
[#34]
I was watching the news last night, & they said some of the critics were kind of creeped out by the movie. One critic said he overheard a kid ask his mom in the middle of the movie, if they could go home now.
I also heard it's rated PG13. What's up with that? I don't remember any of the book's having that kind of a warning.
Of course Hollyweird has to take G rated stuff, & make it to racy for the kid's who are it's fan. I think it's part of their agenda to desenseatise children to sex, & liberal ideas. But hey,...that's just me.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 2:10:40 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I never liked Dr. Suess. I preferred Babar and George of the Jungle.

Babar over the Dr. here too.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 2:16:48 PM EDT
[#36]
www.katv.com/news/stories/1103/111510.html

'Cat in the Hat' Survives Bad Reviews To Debut With $40.1 Million

Sunday November 23, 2003 5:05pm

Los Angeles (AP) - Critics were cat-haters but "Dr. Seuss the Cat in the Hat" had families purring.

Starring Mike Myers as the whiskered trickster of Dr. Seuss' children's book, "The Cat in the Hat" overcame scathing reviews to debut as the No. 1 weekend movie with ticket sales of $40.1 million, according to studio estimates Sunday.

Halle Berry's supernatural thriller "Gothika" premiered in second place with $19.6 million while the previous weekend's top movie, "Elf," slipped to No. 3 with $19.1 million.

Playing in 3,464 theaters, "The Cat in the Hat" averaged $11,570 a cinema, compared to $8,237 in 2,382 theaters for "Gothika."

Critics were even more unkind to "The Cat in the Hat" than they were to the earlier live-action Dr. Seuss adaptation, "How the Grinch Stole Christmas." That movie had a $55.1 million debut weekend and survived bad reviews to become 2000's top-grossing flick with $260 million.

Reviewers called "The Cat in the Hat" visually overblown and bereft of story. Some called it "kitty litter."

Universal Studios, domestic distributor for both movies, does not expect "The Cat in the Hat" to rival the total for "The Grinch," whose saving grace even among harsh critics was a manic performance by Jim Carrey.

"The Grinch" also had appeal for teens and adults who fondly recalled the TV cartoon version, while "The Cat in the Hat" was made solely for young children, said Nikki Rocco, head of distribution for Universal.

"It's not about entertaining parents or reviewers. It's about entertaining kids, and that's what happened," Rocco said. "It's whether or not your audience was satisfied, and every time I saw the movie with an audience of kids, they loved it."

"The Cat in the Hat" may hold up well through the holidays, said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-office tracker Exhibitor Relations.

"Little kids, they want what they want, and they don't care about reviews," Dergarabedian said. "Parents do have some say in the decision, but most of the time they'll just go along with the kids."

For adult crowds, the drama "21 Grams" opened impressively in limited release. A film-festival hit, "21 Grams" took in $256,434 in just eight New York City and Los Angeles theaters, averaging a whopping $32,054. It expands to about 60 theaters Wednesday.

The film stars Sean Penn, Naomi Watts and Benicio Del Toro as strangers tossed together in a somber exploration of grief, vengeance and mortality. All three are potential Academy Awards nominees.

"The Matrix Revolutions" continued its box-office swoon, taking in $6.7 million, down 59 percent from the previous weekend. It likely will top out at barely half the $282 million gross of its predecessor, last spring's "The Matrix Reloaded."

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at North American theaters, according to Exhibitor Relations Co. Inc. Final figures will be released Monday.

1. "Dr. Seuss' the Cat in the Hat," $40.1 million.

2. "Gothika," $19.6 million.

3. "Elf," $19.1 million.

4. "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World," $15.2 million.

5. "Love Actually," $9.1 million.

6. "The Matrix Revolutions," $6.7 million.

7. "Brother Bear," $5.5 million.

8. "Looney Tunes: Back in Action," $4.1 million.

9. "Scary Movie 3," $3.3 million.

10. "Radio," $2.6 million.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top