Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2003 7:58:22 AM EDT
Ortho-K and CRT (Corneal Refractive Therapy) refer to two similar procedures where you wear special contact lenses while you sleep but do not have to wear them during the day.

The lense reforms the cornea during the sleeping hours and then the cornea gradually returns to it's original shape during the day.

But during that period of time your vision is apparently much improved.

It sounds like an alternative for those who are not quite ready to let someone operate on their eyes.

Has anybody had any experience with this procedure?

Thanks,
DDC.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 11:21:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I tried Ortho-K many years ago when it was a relatively new procedure.  My flight instructor had used it and had good things to say about it.

The results were unimpressive in my case.  I'm not sure how the costs would compare, but you are buying a new set of hard contacts every few weeks as they reshape your cornea so I'm betting it's a significant fraction of the cost of Lasik by the time you are done.

With Lasik available for roughly $3k or even less from experienced and reputable outfits, I don't think I'd be inclined to try it now.

I'm currenly wearing soft contacts but plan to take the Lasik plunge soon.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 10:27:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the feedback.

Apparently CRT produces results faster than Ortho-K just going by the websites.... of course that's marketing talking....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top