Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2003 8:27:18 PM EDT
story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=816&ncid=816&e=1&u=/ap/20031119/ap_on_re_us/no_senior_year

Colorado Studying Eliminating 12th Grade

Tue Nov 18, 8:41 PM ET

By STEVEN K. PAULSON, Associated Press Writer

DENVER - High school without seniors? Colorado lawmakers have asked education officials to study the possibility of eliminating the 12th grade and establishing a year of preschool instead. They said it would better prepare students for college by giving them an early start and possibly save money.

"I'd really like to see if we might change the model," Republican state Sen. Ron Teck said Monday. "We've been operating under the same education model for the last 100 years."

Colorado is the first state to discuss the elimination of the senior year to replace it with preschool, said Jennifer Dounay, a policy analyst with the Denver-based Education Commission of the States.

Florida has adopted a plan to let seniors skip their senior year by graduating with 18 credit hours instead of 24.

Hoang Nguyen, a 17-year-old senior at suburban Arvada High School, said it would be a mistake to eliminate 12th grade. He said colleges might hold it against students who fail to complete a traditional high school curriculum.

"The senior year is the next step to going to college. It's a year when you find out who you are," he said.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:31:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Seriously, around here all the smart kids dont do shit their senior year and all the ahh... "un motivated" kids just hang on for one more year.

Luckily I can be either a senior or junior. Odd birthdays are the shit.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:53:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd just eliminate high school all together.  

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top