Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2003 11:29:33 AM EDT
I'm joining Army ROTC and I went into to ask some questions about it and the guy I was talking to was also a recuriter for the Guard.  We got talking about it and I have become sorta interested in joining, but don't want to be deployed while still in college.  So I asked him about that.  He told me that if I enlist in the Guard I would be a E-2 because I'm an Eagle Scout and the amount of college credit I have.  He also said that if I split Basic and AIP up between two summers that I would have a nondeployable status.  That is talking Basic this summer.  Going back to school for my sophmore year.  During this year I would have a nondeployable status.  Then I in May of my sophmore year signing the paper work to be an officer in the Army.  That summer I would take my AIP.  Because I signed the paper work in May I would still be considered nondeployable for my last two years in school.  I was wondering if anybody knew anything about this.  He is telling me the truth or is it some what a bunch of BS for me to enlist in the Guard.

Thanks for any help, Ben
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 11:36:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Total bullshit.  If you enlist in the Guard you'll be in SMP status, and if your Guard unit goes, you'll go too.  After you finish AIT , that is.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 12:15:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Total bullshit.  If you enlist in the Guard you'll be in SMP status, and if your Guard unit goes, you'll go too.  After you finish AIT , that is.

Errnnntt, wrong!  I'm the enrollment officer for an Army ROTC program.  If he joins the ARNG now and goes to BCT this summer under Split-Op, he'll be nondeployable for a year.  If he goes to AIT next summer and is MOSQ'd, he'll be deployable until he contracts with ROTC.  Once he contracts, he is non-deployable.  If he signs in May before he goes to AIT, he will not go to AIT.  He'll also not be eligible for all of his educational entitlements like MGIB and Kicker if he contracts before he completes AIT.   He needs to think about this before he signs the paperwork.  He might want to consider Leaders Training Course and then contract with ROTC.  He may also be eligible for a scholarship.

BTW, I am a reserve officer and have spent the last 13 years in both the Guard and Reserve so I'm not biased against the RC.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 12:47:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Errnnntt, wrong!  I'm the enrollment officer for an Army ROTC program.  If he joins the ARNG now and goes to BCT this summer under Split-Op, he'll be nondeployable for a year.  If he goes to AIT next summer and is MOSQ'd, he'll be deployable until he contracts with ROTC.  Once he contracts, he is non-deployable.  If he signs in May before he goes to AIT, he will not go to AIT.  He'll also not be eligible for all of his educational entitlements like MGIB and Kicker if he contracts before he completes AIT.   He needs to think about this before he signs the paperwork.  He might want to consider Leaders Training Course and then contract with ROTC.  He may also be eligible for a scholarship.

BTW, I am a reserve officer and have spent the last 13 years in both the Guard and Reserve so I'm not biased against the RC.

A few more questions. I haven't gotten use to all the abbreviations yet so what is MSOQ'd?  I was specificly talking to him about jump school and AIT.  If I contract with ROTC am I able to to still go to those, but though ROTC?  That's just how it sounded to me.  Maybe I should have said that in the first place.  The guy said just the opposite about the educational entitlements.  That since I would have SMP status that I would have benefits from both. (not sure if benefits is the word I really want to use)  I may sound like I'm taking his word, but I would like to know all I can about it before I make any decision.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 12:49:28 PM EDT
[#4]
xj9598, IM me and I'll give you the skinny on all the details.  IM me your number and I'll call you with all the details.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 12:54:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
He also said that if I split Basic and AIP up between two summers that I would have a nondeployable status.  
Thanks for any help, Ben

Ben I joined the Guard about 6 months ago so far its going well. Were I live we do a program before basic training, so after you sign you are drilling. Now it really seems to prepare you for basic but I amagine it would be REALLY boring to attend this program after you have completed basic, but you will still have to go.

Personally I would get Basic and AIT done then you can be with your unit.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 3:43:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A few more questions. I haven't gotten use to all the abbreviations yet so what is MSOQ'd?  I was specificly talking to him about jump school and AIT.  If I contract with ROTC am I able to to still go to those, but though ROTC?  That's just how it sounded to me.  Maybe I should have said that in the first place.  The guy said just the opposite about the educational entitlements.  That since I would have SMP status that I would have benefits from both. (not sure if benefits is the word I really want to use)  I may sound like I'm taking his word, but I would like to know all I can about it before I make any decision.

ROTC wont/cant send you to AIT if you contract.  They dont have the funds or authority to do that.  They can however send you to Airborne, Air assault, Scuba and a few other schools if you qualify.  All require a physical exam and Scuba requires you to attend a pre scuba session before you go to Key West.  You will probably have a much better chance for schools through ROTC than through the guard.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:43:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
A few more questions. I haven't gotten use to all the abbreviations yet so what is MSOQ'd?  .

Means you are Qualified(trained up) in whatever your Military Occupational Specialty(MOS, get it) is.

Please don't be one of those people who joins up for college and then balks at their call-up. The Guard gets enough of those as it is. Being deployed may put a crimp in your life, but if you enlist, its your duty.If you can't handle it, don't enlist.Good luck if ya do enlist. We can always use a few more good soldiers.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:52:46 AM EDT
[#8]
If I do enlist and get deployed then I get deployed.  The only reason I'm looking for a way to not get deployed during college is so that I can finish college as soon as possible.  I don't want to have time in between the years I'm at college.  I would like to college over with and not have to worry about having to come back and readjust to college life.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:53:48 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If I do enlist and get deployed then I get deployed.  The only reason I'm looking for a way to not get deployed during college is so that I can finish college as soon as possible.  I don't want to have time in between the years I'm at college.  I would like to college over with and not have to worry about having to come back and readjust to college life.

well then enlist active duty after college or dont enlist in the guard til you are done with college.  I am in that position right now where college will be broken up.  I get activated Monday.  Make a decision now because you will be stuck with that decision for the term of your enlistment.  You cant enlist, reap the benefits and then expect to be non deployable.  They will use you for the training you have undergone.  They dont send you to training and give you benefits without earning them through a deployment or activation
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:42:57 AM EDT
[#10]

...and not have to worry about having to come back and readjust to college life.

This made me smile.
Trust me, once you've gone through a deployment, readjusting to college life is cake.

All the sleep you want, girls, beer, girls, more sleep, and did I mention girls?

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 9:54:53 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

...and not have to worry about having to come back and readjust to college life.

This made me smile.
Trust me, once you've gone through a deployment, readjusting to college life is cake.

All the sleep you want, girls, beer, girls, more sleep, and did I mention girls?

Well, I'm glad that my thread brought joy to someone.  I agree with you on your list except the sleep part...I got to bed late and wake up earlier...I don't even plan to it just happens.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:33:42 AM EDT
[#12]
xj9598-
I didn't mean that I'm laughing at you.  I went to college after a hitch on active duty and I was just remembering how wonderful it was by comparison.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:41:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, I knew that you meant no harm...I just felt compelled to make a reply to your statement.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top