Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2003 3:57:23 AM EDT
Anybody know anything about the United Way?
There is a big contribution drive at work here and I always try to donate to the needy around Christmas.
Someone here mentioned they were very liberal and since I don't give money to commy organizations, I thought I'd see if you guys knew anything. Did they have a problem with the Boy Scouts?
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 3:58:26 AM EDT
[#1]
United Way? NO WAY!

They support planned parenthood
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 4:27:26 AM EDT
[#2]
They are very liberal.  Also, a HUGE portion of your donation is used for their administrative fees.  There are much better charities out there.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 4:32:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I know people they have refused to help. I consider them to be a rip off.

IMHO I'd tell them to kiss my ass.

Link Posted: 11/18/2003 4:35:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Our company tries to shove it down our throats here. I resist.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 4:44:46 AM EDT
[#5]
They support the homosexual/lesbian community. I wouldn't do it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 4:45:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like a lot of opinions here are without total understanding of the United Way.  Having First Hand knowledge I can say that my local United Way's administrative costs are less than 15%.  That is way below the national average.  In the Suwannee Valley area our United Way goes above and beyond on a daily basis.  

Bryan
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 4:48:56 AM EDT
[#7]
yes, they support planned parenthood
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 4:53:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I guess I should back up what I say. In my area a local Boyscout Troop leader announced that he was gay. The Troop removed him from his position (in my opinion rightly so). The United Way then dropped the Troop from it's funding claiming that the Boyscouts were being discriminatory. The local community and churches chipped in to help fund the Troop.  

Not saying they don't do some good, but if they support that lifestyle I can't support them.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 4:57:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I posted this last week, but the Capital Area UW in Austin, Texas has announced that they are ending funding for the Boy Scouts.  (Pressure from the gay/lesbian groups)  If these kind of decisions trouble you, you can always contribute directly to the charity/church of your choice.  As others here have said, there is less overhead for "administration" that way.   Yes, UW's administration is reasonably efficient, but less is less...
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:10:11 AM EDT
[#10]
i get serious pressure from my comapny as well. I refuse to donate to anything that exercises extorsion against me.

If you have a charity you want to help give the money directly to them. 15% for admin costs are WAY below the norm. a study a few years ago was spouting numbers in the 60+% range.

I'd be much more inclined to beleive that.

mike
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:14:50 AM EDT
[#11]
As I thought, There are to many conflicts for me to support them. The biggies being unsupportive of the Boy Scouts and planned parenthood......no donation from me!

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:20:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Again, The United Way like any other organization, is only as good as the folks that staff the local office.  If your local United Way is made up of people that are not of top notch character, their effectiveness will be sub-par.

I would advise against categorically trashing such a large organization over a relative few bad apples.

The same advice could be applied to the Largest Healthcare provider in the country...The Department of Veterans Affairs.

Nuff Said.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:20:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
a study a few years ago was spouting numbers in the 60+% range.

I'd be much more inclined to beleive that.

mike

Yes, this is more in line with the figures we were given several years ago.  However, I have no current data to back that up.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:22:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Finally, RAVYN, to answer your original question...evidently VERY FEW people here know ANYTHING about the United Way!
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:26:21 AM EDT
[#15]
UW stinks. It has a history of corruption, bloated administration, and support of groups you probably would never give a nickel on your own. You should be given a list of the organizations they support. Read it, & find out what each one is. If workplace politics require your participation, check the box that lets you target your donations. When I was stuck doing it, I directed mine to "Eddie Eagle," which is the NRA Foundation.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:30:01 AM EDT
[#16]
They supply money to some anti-gun organizations. If you must contribute, make sure you designate where it should go.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:35:23 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Sounds like a lot of opinions here are without total understanding of the United Way.  Having First Hand knowledge I can say that my local United Way's administrative costs are less than 15%.  That is way below the national average.  In the Suwannee Valley area our United Way goes above and beyond on a daily basis.  

Bryan

Give your money to the Salvation Army instead- your money will go farther to helping the poor and not support white-collar welfare AKA "administrative staff".

Two words: William Aramony. Look him up on Google.

Another reason not to give to the United Way. They are VERY anti-gun, and, despite their charter and tax-exempt status, give money to antigun organizations. Try telling the United Way you want your money to go to the Brady Campaign, and then on another day tell them you want your money to go to GOA or the NRA.

I guarantee you will get two different answers....
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:44:18 AM EDT
[#18]
I quit supporting the United way about 10 years ago. They were taken over by the COMMIES and the administrators stole most of the money anyway.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:49:27 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I posted this last week, but the Capital Area UW in Austin, Texas has announced that they are ending funding for the Boy Scouts.  (Pressure from the gay/lesbian groups)  If these kind of decisions trouble you, you can always contribute directly to the charity/church of your choice.  As others here have said, there is less overhead for "administration" that way.   Yes, UW's administration is reasonably efficient, but less is less...

The company I work for also borderline extorts money out of us, but they also support the boy scouts.  Do you have any supporting documentation or links for this story?  I'd like to send it up to see how they reconcile the two.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:56:36 AM EDT
[#21]
I know someone who sat on the local UW Advisory board and one of the things they did each year was to identify who got how much. First they would identify how much was targeted (check box) type donations.  Then they took everything that was left an gave it to whomever they felt was the most needy.  Check box will only work if everyone does it.  Otherwise they just give those organizations less of the general fund and achieve the same results.  It's mostly just a ploy to make you feel better about giving your money away.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:02:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Forget about what they stand for for a moment.  The big problem with the United Way is that it is not really a charity.  Its a "nonprofit" corporation that spends most of its money on bleeding-heart TV ads and huge salaries and perks for its executives.  It's a sham as far as I'm concerned.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:05:56 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bryan

Give your money to the Salvation Army instead- your money will go farther to helping the poor and not support white-collar welfare AKA "administrative staff".

Two words: William Aramony. Look him up on Google.

Another reason not to give to the United Way. They are VERY anti-gun, and, despite their charter and tax-exempt status, give money to antigun organizations. Try telling the United Way you want your money to go to the Brady Campaign, and then on another day tell them you want your money to go to GOA or the NRA.

I guarantee you will get two different answers....

my united way money goes to the Civilian Marksmanship Program, a fully eligible 501 (c) (3) non profit.  

edited to fix post
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:57:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Don't give your money to the United Way.  If you want to give money to BSA, then give to them directly.  Same for Salvation Army, and other charities you support.

I refuse to give to the UW when my company hands out the donor cards.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:34:29 AM EDT
[#26]
One poster is correct: there are a lot of people that don't squat about UW.
N_FL_M is one of them.
Some, but not all, UW chapters support Gays/Lesbians over the Boy Scouts of America.  Chapters include, IRC, Seattle, San Fran (there's a big surprise!),several in the NE and now Austin.  I don't buy the "all chapters aren't the same" argument.  Tough shit, all UW chapters should feel the heat for any of them supporting gays over the BSA.

UW punishes the BSA because they don't want gays around our Scout children.  UW must want our kids to molested and/or recruited into the gay community; why else would a faggot want to join BSA.

I haven't given to UW in over 10 years despite my company's yearly  arm twisting/threatning/extortion program.  I always politely accept their sign up form, write on it:  "I my support and money go to the Boy Scouts of America" and send it in.

They can KMA.

Regards,

Merlin

Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:15:21 AM EDT
[#27]
MissouriBob,

Here is the link you requested: http://www.unitedwaycapitalarea.org/
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:21:48 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
UW must want our kids to molested and/or recruited into the gay community; why else would a faggot want to join BSA.

Well, maybe he wants to join because he enjoys scouting, likes to teach, and enjoys being around kids. Pedophilia & homosexuality are not the same thing. As for recruiting, remember that every time you talk about homosexuals recruiting, you are claiming that it is possible to persuade or teach a boy or man to prefer sex with men over sex with women. Maybe your sexuality is subject to change by persuasion, but mine (and most people's) isn't.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:23:58 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

15% for admin costs are WAY below the norm. a study a few years ago was spouting numbers in the 60+% range.

mike

N_FL_M states ".......local United Way's administrative cost are less than 15%.

I expect he's correct about his 'local' costs.  But then there's always the 'NATIONAL' administrative costs to be added.

Best I can tell the United Way does nothing directly but gives to lesser charities who have their own administrative costs........... .

5sub
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:37:22 AM EDT
[#30]
FUCK UNITED WAY!!!
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:53:47 AM EDT
[#31]
FLALA1,

Sure those are all valid reasons why a gay would want to join the BSA.  I'm not willing to play the odds with my son or daughter and I suspect nor would most people who have kids and want to protect them.  

As far as pedophilia vs. homosexuals, almost ALL BSA violations are with homo's who are pedo's.  Same with priests, although you'll never see the 2 words together in the liberal media (i.e. "homo priest") even though that's what +95% of the violations are about.

I will never support an organization that supports gays vs. the BSA.

Merlin
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 12:04:44 PM EDT
[#32]
I work for my local United Way chapter and I'm pretty conservative.

First you need to know that each chapter is it's own entity, they just pay dues to the national organization to be called a United Way.  The national organization has no control over them.

My local chapters operating costs are paid by a generous organization, so 100% of the money individuals donate goes to local charities to help people.  United Way helps a wide variety of people in our community, they support a wide variety of organizations including the Salvation Army, Red Cross, and BSA.  

For any of you thinking of donating to the United Way I would suggest finding out what percentage goes to administrative costs and what organizations your local chapter supports.  In addition you can designate your money however you want, so you can make sure your money doesn't go to organizations you do not like.  United Way really is just a fund raising organization, so if you have something against them then just donate directly to whatever charity you like.  The bottom line is that if you are fortunate enough to have some extra money in my opinion you have a moral obligation to help those in your community who are less fortunate, so if there is some way you can do so (through the United Way or via some other way) then do it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 4:34:05 PM EDT
[#33]
From above:

First you need to know that each chapter is it's own entity, they just pay dues to the national organization to be called a United Way. The national organization has no control over them.

I've been told this for over 10 years and you know what?  I don't give a shit!

ALL UW's better get a clue:  When they pick the fags over the BSA, they are ALL going to pay a price.

And fuck you for supporting a pro-gay and anti-gun organization.

Now go back to DU, pissant!

Merlin
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 4:41:44 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
From above:

First you need to know that each chapter is it's own entity, they just pay dues to the national organization to be called a United Way. The national organization has no control over them.

I've been told this for over 10 years and you know what?  I don't give a shit!

ALL UW's better get a clue:  When they pick the fags over the BSA, they are ALL going to pay a price.

And fuck you for supporting a pro-gay and anti-gun organization.

Now go back to DU, pissant!

Merlin

While parts of this post clearly violate the board's COC, I agree with the legitimate point: the "separate entities" thing is meaningless. AFAIK, they all support a laundry list of causes most people on this board would pay money to defeat, they all encourage people to avoid just whipping out the checkbook and giving to an organization they know and trust, and worst of all, they all happily benefit from workplace extortion by management drones and suckups.

Oh, yeah: IBTL.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 4:50:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Florida state employees charitable campaign = pressure to contribute. At least one agency's leader used the state e-mail system to send out shaming notices describing which offices/facilities had 100% donation rates.

If you fail to donate, you hear about it.

Thankfully, there is an option every year for the NRA Eddie Eagle education program for elementary school kids.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:04:37 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Well, maybe he wants to join because he enjoys scouting, likes to teach, and enjoys being around kids. Pedophilia & homosexuality are not the same thing. As for recruiting, remember that every time you talk about homosexuals recruiting, you are claiming that it is possible to persuade or teach a boy or man to prefer sex with men over sex with women. Maybe your sexuality is subject to change by persuasion, but mine (and most people's) isn't.

Sure,and Michael Jackson is just the target of vicious, unfounded accusations.Not every Homo is a child molester but every child molester is a Homo(male on boy).I'm personally not going to risk my son on the "Chance" that the Homo is "Not" a child molester.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:05:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Here's how you tell if the United Way is crooked or not... find out how much the President and other top people make.

If it's over $100K then I say screw them.  That is plenty to live a very nice life off of and THEY should be contributing anything they make above that to "help" others since they are so concerned about it.

Anyone have those salary #'s?
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:56:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Fuck that politically correct, legal mafia. In the Army we were forced to give (even though we ourselves were poverty level lower enlisted), my employer and our union leaders push us to give now("Everyone MUST fill out their form!"). Ya right, I have boys in scouting thank you very much.
The flaming faggot spokesperson they had this year just iced the fucked up cake.
Search for the string from last month on this if you want to read about more peoples experiences.
Not only don't give, see if you can stop a friend from giving.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:09:16 PM EDT
[#39]
I worked for a co. that put tremendous pressure to give to United Way. I didn't like that. I had supervisors talking to me on several occasions about why I didn't want to give and what problem I had with helping the community and so on. It got a little ugly. I told them it was my money and I would do what I wanted with it and they were not going to tell me what I was going to do with money that I earned. I do give freely to charities of my choosing. To this day I do not give to United Way- not for their policies (I don't know a whole lot about that) but because of the pressure years ago the co. put on me to give.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 1:49:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Btt, so more people can tell you about how screwed up UW is!
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 2:36:28 PM EDT
[#41]
I do not give money to or support the United Way. They are far to Liberal and support many things I do not believe in. They are very pro inmate with thier "Friends on the outside"
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 2:40:25 PM EDT
[#42]
When you work a"government job."the preassure to give your hard earned cash to UW is tremendous.All Dept.heads want to look good with their %'s of donators.Allso, every six months you are required to endure what is called"a service evaluation."This is no more than an opportunity for your higher-ups to grade your on the job performance.What these really are is when your boss lets you know if the head that you are/are not giving is good enough to make you a "team player."How much you do/do not give UW is a topic.Fuck UW.They dont like BSA,I dont like them.Why should anyone have their donations to/or not bought up in the workplace.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 3:26:29 PM EDT
[#43]
The UW tries to stay neutral on the gun control controversy, however they fund groups that are against gun violence.  The down side is that most anti-gun violence groups are strongly anti-gun.  My local branch gives to the BSA and is uses less than 15% for administrative purposes, however I prefer to donate directly (whether it's time or resources) to whatever charity I like.  Otherwise I give through the local conservation club to get boys and girls interested in shooting, archery, and fishing.  I think kids are better off if they know how to ride, shoot straight, and speak the truth.

Next time there is a UW campaign, bring a couple of boxes of .22lr, and see if they get to the Scouts' marksmanship program.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:39:06 PM EDT
[#44]
I dare not say the company I work for, but I will say that it is known in nearly every country in the world and one of the most recognized names on the planet.

With that said, they really push everyone to go in the system and change it so the UW gets money from each and every paycheck you get.

I personally validated my contribution last month for a whopping $0.  I can't afford to give much, but that which I do give to charities goes straight to those I like, not to the ones the company tries to force everyone to give to.

The Sr. VP's think it makes them look like more motivated leaders if their employees give more... screw them.

Now I can understand a company pushing more for employees to push for the lobbying stuff, that's the companies' survival, but charities?  that should be TOTALLY a personal call and no one else should even KNOW if you're giving or not.  

It's none of their d*mn business!!
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:40:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Realm,

Sounds like the "Lazy B"!!!

Here, they went to less pressure because of the backlash from people putting in their donation cards while the "program" was running, then those same people immediately after the program sending in the cancellation cards.  Ended up costing the company a lot of money.  Donation % were up, but total donation $ were way down.

Now, UW reps don't know who contributes and who doesn't.  I just politely listen, take the card and then shitcan it as soon as they leave.

I especially like it when they start talking about how each UW chapter is independent and "they" can't control what happens in other chapters; this shows me they're scared of the backlash.   With good reason.

Regards,

Merlin
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:20:09 AM EDT
[#46]
My Wife works for  NPO, the money from United Way comes a year after you donate and minus more than half!
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:35:27 AM EDT
[#47]
I donate my money to the Salvation Army.  Biggest bang for the buck.

Hoppy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top