Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2003 3:19:24 PM EDT

i remember reading here a while ago that prices were going to go up

too bad i only have an economy size fridge/freezer or i could have stocked up

i had a steak craving tonight, so i went to the store ... new york strips were 13 bucks a pound

shit

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 3:35:50 PM EDT
[#1]

That makes me glad I can raise my own....

The live cattle market is in good shape right now, don't look for it to go down for a couple of years tho..

Last month we had feeder calves go thru the auction, $135/hundred weight  for 350# calves, and $100/hundred weight for 800# calves. That is up about $40.00... fullclip

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 3:37:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
home.wi.rr.com/antigov/beef.gif

i remember reading here a while ago that prices were going to go up

too bad i only have an economy size fridge/freezer or i could have stocked up

i had a steak craving tonight, so i went to the store ... new york strips were 13 bucks a pound

shit

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 3:39:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Where's the napkin?

They always forget the napkin.  

Go Infantry
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 3:46:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Last month we had feeder calves go thru the auction, $135/hundred weight  for 350# calves, and $100/hundred weight for 800# calves. That is up about $40.00... fullclip

Can you please translate the above terms into more layman terms. I know the cattleman in the past took it in the shorts a few times, so I guess this a little payback.

I've switch to pork & chicken myself.

Red_Beard: only 1 mag  for your 45? That's not enough ammo buddy.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 3:47:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I read where it will be 2005 beforwe the beef prices go down, now would be a good time for all of you guys to go veg only.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 3:49:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Where's the napkin?

They always forget the napkin.  

Go Infantry

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 3:50:59 PM EDT
[#7]
New York Strip, fine cut of meat.

1911, fine handgun.

Surefire, fine light.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 3:54:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Pork...the other white meat.

Nothing beats a roasted pork loin!

(except an Angus steak!)
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 3:55:52 PM EDT
[#9]
You can thank the import ban on canadian cattle due to the mad cow scare and the poor feed crop from last year.

Beef has gone up 18% in the last 30 days.

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 3:56:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you please translate the above terms into more layman terms. I know the cattleman in the past took it in the shorts a few times, so I guess this a little payback.

I've switch to pork & chicken myself.

Red_Beard: only 1 mag  for your 45? That's not enough ammo buddy.

Basically, It means $1.35 and $1.00 per pound. As they get bigger the price goes down. The smaller ones are ready for the wheat pasture this fall, wher the larger ones are being shipped to feedlots to finish off and gain weight. With about a 50% loss for bone skin, and potted meat and the other industry shares, trucking, slaughter plants, meat market markups there is the reason for the high prices... fullclip
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:01:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Deer tags are cheap and deer meat has very little fat, plus you get to kill stuff
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:02:52 PM EDT
[#12]
For $13 a pound, that better be dry aged beef. Is it?

I can get wet aged beef for about $6.99 around here.

You didnt FRY that did you?

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:03:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

shit

Where do you live?  I know I'm in slaughterville but we are only shelling out 6.99lb for NYS.

I buy in quantity, butch it and vac it.  There will be a slight drop in prices in a few months before the next surge.

We were going to by half a cow this year but our friends dad finally retired from raising beef after being 80 something trapped under his atv last november for 2 days in a ravine with a broken leg.  He went out looking for a missing calf.  His bud offered us a deal but it was higher then we wanted to pay.

Btw: Get a real steak knife.  That pearing knive is pathetic.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:04:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Did your cat throw up next to that steak?  
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:10:15 PM EDT
[#15]
had to ruin it with the mushrooms :(
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:11:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice pistol mag!  Those are my favorites for fit and the little 'pinky grip' they provide.
Need more Mec-gar mags!!
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:14:54 PM EDT
[#17]
... You can thank the Dr. Adkins diet craze for the inflated prices. Seriously.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:16:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Nice pistol mag!  Those are my favorites for fit and the little 'pinky grip' they provide.
Need more Mec-gar mags!!

it is a mec-gar 8 round

i need a few more of them as i've only got 5 mags for the 45 and only one is an 8 rounder
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:20:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
had to ruin it with the mushrooms :(

bah, mushrooms are great

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:25:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
For $13 a pound, that better be dry aged beef. Is it?

I can get wet aged beef for about $6.99 around here.

You didnt FRY that did you?

no it wasn't dry aged beef

i did fry it

here's how my grill-less loser self cooks a steak:

put cast iron skillet on stove, high heat

turn on oven to 350

put spices on steak, rub steak with some olive oil

when skillet is grey hot, toss down a big pat of butter, once the water is melted out, sear one side of steak in it for about 2 minutes

plop down another pat of butter, sear other side for two minutes

if a thick steak, give the edges a little burning on the hot skillet to sear them shut

this makes a good crust on the steak. i didn't let the side you see in that pic sear long enough.

put seared steak on wire rack in 350 oven for 8-10 minutes

take out and let sit for a 5 minutes or so before cutting

here's an old pic to show what the inside looks like when you do it this way:

that's teh best way i've found to cook them other than grilling

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:25:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

shit

Where do you live?  I know I'm in slaughterville but we are only shelling out 6.99lb for NYS.

milwaukee, and i two different stores because the first one i went to was an upscale place and i thought they might be nuts, nope. they were 12.50 at the second place, and 12.99 at the first place. steaks at the first place looked better so i went back.

We were going to by half a cow this year but our friends dad finally retired from raising beef after being 80 something trapped under his atv last november for 2 days in a ravine with a broken leg.  He went out looking for a missing calf.  His bud offered us a deal but it was higher then we wanted to pay.

my dad used to fill our freezer once a year by buying a half a cow from a farmer friend of his

we'd kill and butcher it ourselves and get a good price

if i ever move back to ND and have a deep freeze i'll do that myself. with this pathetic freezer in my rented home now, i'm stuck with buying them five or six at a time at the store. blah.

Btw: Get a real steak knife.  That pearing knive is pathetic.

i don't have a steak knife

i had been using a big crkt hunting knife, but this works better
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:31:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:33:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

The live cattle market is in good shape right now, don't look for it to go down for a couple of years tho..

About time. Texas ranchers have had it rough for the past few years, haven't they?  Drought and all.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:33:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Properly sauteed, mushrooms are FANTASTIC with a steak.  

The beef prices...I didn't know we had a BEEF CARTEL!

There's plenty of dirt cheap beef to be had...BRITISH BEEF!  Canadian, too!

If you don't mind taking a chance on your brain liquefying and running out your ears, that is...

CJ
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:36:17 PM EDT
[#25]
I know what you are talking about fullclip. We went and sold a dozen calves last monday.

My grandmother has a beef farm that we go work on each weekend. (free 200+ acre shooting range!) We keep a freezer full of beef most of the time. When we have intrest we also try an sell halves of calves (ahhh, rhyming!) when we can. Good stuff. Teaches you alot too!
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:45:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Damn Red_Beard, I am coming to your house for dinner!

That is a nice looking steak!

Lose the mushrooms though.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:31:34 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

About time. Texas ranchers have had it rough for the past few years, haven't they?  Drought and all.

We are in a seven year drought now. Last week, Wichita Falls, Population 100,000 and home of Sheppard AFB went on restricted water usage, last step beore rationing. Our lakes have not been near full since '96. They figure the resivoirs are less than 50%.

Now with the prices up, we just need rain and good pasures.. fullclip

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:23:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top