Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/13/2003 6:43:29 PM EDT
...because of their policy on NOT handling transactions that deal with firearms. When I closed the account, they asked for a reason why and I told them it was because of their policy.
It's the only thing they will understand. If you agree, tell your friends and help change their policy.  

edited to add the url  Sam

www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/ua/use/index_frame-outside&ed=firearms
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 6:45:15 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
...because of their policy on NOT handling transactions that deal with firearms. When I closed the account, they asked for a reason why and I told them it was because of their policy.
It's the only thing they will understand. If you agree, tell your friends and help change their policy....

Good for you,  I'm thinking about doing to the same.  I brought this up yesterday because it pissed me off.

How do you handle money transfers?  The old fashioned way I guess?
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 6:46:58 PM EDT
[#2]
There are other payment services like PP out there.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 6:47:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Opened my account and after about a week I found out about their anti gun policy and I shitcanned it the next day. Fuck 'em!
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 7:00:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Fuck 'em!

Likewise.

Just closed my account and told them why.

Link Posted: 11/13/2003 7:03:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Whoa. . . I've never heard this crap before!

I just went and looked at my Paypal account and thier policys and I can't find the anti-gun stuff. (?)

Before I cancel my account, can someone direct me to this section?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 11/13/2003 7:23:02 PM EDT
[#6]
my comment in the dialogue box:

"your policy on firearm related transactions is retarded. solve world hunger with your own money."

*CANCEL*
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 7:42:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Yous folks might want to take a look at www.paypalsucks.com.  There are a number of PPal alternatives listed there as well as a wealth of other info.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 7:58:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Whoa. . . I've never heard this crap before!

I just went and looked at my Paypal account and thier policys and I can't find the anti-gun stuff. (?)

Before I cancel my account, can someone direct me to this section?

Thanks.

Firearms, Ammunition, Replicas, and Militaria Policy
You may not use PayPal to sell any firearm manufactured after 1898. Certain related items and high-capacity ammunition magazines are also prohibited, as described in more detail below. In addition, it is the responsibility of users to abide by all applicable laws when dealing with the sale of permitted antique firearms, ammunition, replicas, militaria and other associated items.

What is not permitted?

Firearms
You may not use PayPal to sell or advertise any firearms produced after 1898. This includes all "pre-ban," sporting, collectible, and curio and relic (C&R) firearms, regardless of their present capability to fire a shot.

Related items
In addition, you may not use PayPal to sell or advertise kits (that can be used to create a firearm) or illegal firearm components such as silencers, converters (which converts a firearm to automatic capability), and short barrels.

Ammunition
You may not use PayPal to sell or advertise high capacity magazines (magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds). In addition, sellers of other ammunition with propellant (such as gunpowder) are responsible for abiding by all laws and postal regulations.

Ordnance
In general, you may not use of PayPal in conjunction with the sale of ordnance (military weaponry, ammunition, and related parts) unless you can provide official documentation from the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) stating that the item is unserviceable or demilitarized. Contact your local ATF office for more details on obtaining such documentation. You can also visit the ATF website for general information about firearms laws.

Grenades
You may not use PayPal to sell grenades, including metal military practice grenades, rifle grenades, dummy grenades, grenade launcher attachments, and mines. However, such items will be permitted if they are a relic, curio, memorabilia, or display item that is filled with a permanent inert substance or that is otherwise permanently altered in a manner that prevents ready modification for use as a grenade.

Replicas without proper markings
You may use PayPal to sell firearm replicas, look-alikes and imitations as long as they comply with Federal and state laws that require such items to have clear markings permanently affixed to the weapon. The most common requirement is a blaze orange plug inserted in the barrel of the item. This law applies even to novelty items, such as cigarette lighters, that are designed to look like firearms.

What is permitted?

You may use PayPal to sell antique firearms (before 1898) and most legal firearm components. This includes firearm related accessories, such as holsters, scopes, and ammunition without propellant.

Blank guns, replica or imitation guns, paintball guns, and "airsoft" guns may be listed provided that:

* The item does not, and cannot be readily altered to, shoot a lethal projectile

* The receiver is not a firearm as classified by law. See U.S. Code Title 18, Section 921

* The replica or imitation gun has the legal markings required by law AND blank ammunition is not included in the sale. See U.S. Code Title 15, Section 5001

Even if the above conditions are met, PayPal does not permit the advertisement or sale of antique firearms or legal firearm components products on websites listed in PayPal Shops.

Related Acceptable Use Policies:

Fireworks

Return to Acceptable Use Index

About | Accounts | Fees | Privacy | Security Center | User Agreement | Developers | Referrals | Shops

an eBay Company

Copyright © 1999-2003 PayPal. All rights reserved.
Information about FDIC pass-through insurance
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 8:05:53 PM EDT
[#9]
who cares what they say? they have no business knowing what i'm using it for, i always just click 'goods other' no matter what i'm using it for
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 8:08:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
who cares what they say? they have no business knowing what i'm using it for, i always just click 'goods other' no matter what i'm using it for

I don't think thats the point here.

The point is Paypal is making money off of gun owners when they obviously are anti-gun.

It's called principle.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 8:21:28 PM EDT
[#11]
You gave them exactly what they want. No gun customers. I on the other hand do gun payments buy/sell behind thier backs all the time. They have no need to know what the item being bought/sold is about.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 8:39:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You gave them exactly what they want. No gun customers. I on the other hand do gun payments buy/sell behind thier backs all the time. They have no need to know what the item being bought/sold is about.

You guys are missing the fucking point.

Obviously they don't know what the money is for,  obviously you aren't doing shit behind their backs because "they" don't have backs,  it's a computer.

The higher ups in Pay Pal don't like guns,  SO DON'T PAY THE BASTARDS, THAT'S THE POINT.

NOT IF YOU CAN GET AWAY WITH IT OR NOT.  GEESE
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 8:55:05 PM EDT
[#13]
PayPal is owned by Ebay. Ebay has policy not to sell high cap mags, or switchblade knives that are not to CA legal limits. So the sellers lie, and blatently in public make Ebay's policies look stupid as they are.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 9:32:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Thanks for the info.

And oh. . .

I'm done with PayPal! Fuck 'em! You got to hate the anti folk and all the crap they involve themselves with.

Link Posted: 11/14/2003 1:02:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I thought this policy related to PayPal affiliated stores, not buyers.

… You may not use PayPal to sell any firearm manufactured after 1898. …

Link Posted: 11/14/2003 1:58:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Yup, and use the anti's for the pro-gun agenda (mine)...Hell F'em and use them at the same time...SCHWEET!
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 2:08:41 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, and use the anti's for the pro-gun agenda (mine)...Hell F'em and use them at the same time...SCHWEET!

Schweet,  and pad their pockets too.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 2:10:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I actually got an e-mail from PP about this shit. I used them to pay the gunsmith who is building my bolt gun. The email was in reagrds to me using them and breaking their policy. I just responded back that I was paying him "consulting" fees for a book I was working on and that I was not paying for any guns or anything that would violate their policy. As soon as I make the final payment on the gun, I'm shitcanning my account with them.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 2:33:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You just don't get it...I'm going to pay someone.  I prefer my act of defiance to the inconvenience of the alternatives.  Obviously YMMV. I prefer to fight the battle I can win.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 8:01:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I also cancelled my account and made sure to tell them why...
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 8:04:02 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You just don't get it...I'm going to pay someone.  I prefer my act of defiance to the inconvenience of the alternatives.  Obviously YMMV. I prefer to fight the battle I can win.

I don't get it???  
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:00:36 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...You just don't get it...I'm going to pay someone.  I prefer my act of defiance to the inconvenience of the alternatives.  Obviously YMMV. I prefer to fight the battle I can win.

I don't get it???  

I think he's talking about something like this - from a post of mine in one of the MANY threads on this topic:

Making an online purchase during normal business hours with Paypal:
1. Place order
2. Go to www.paypal.com
3. Click, click, click, click...
4. Wait for order to arrive
NOTE: steps 2 & 3 can take as little as a minute and cost me nothing

Making an online purchase during normal business hours with a cashier's check:
1. Place order
2. Address & stamp envelope
3. Leave office, go to parking deck
4. Drive from parking deck to credit union
5. Get cashier's check
6. Drive from credit union to parking deck
7. Stop by mailbox to mail check
8. Return to office
9. Wait for check to get to vendor
10. Wait for order to arrive
NOTE: steps 2 through 8 can take 30 minutes or longer and cost me an envelope, postage, and mileage (if my credit union didn't provide free cashier's checks at my account level, I'd also have to pay for a CC or MO); step 9 takes DAYS

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:39:28 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
...You just don't get it...I'm going to pay someone.  I prefer my act of defiance to the inconvenience of the alternatives.  Obviously YMMV. I prefer to fight the battle I can win.

I don't get it???  

I think he's talking about something like this - from a post of mine in one of the MANY threads on this topic:

Making an online purchase during normal business hours with Paypal:
1. Place order
2. Go to www.paypal.com
3. Click, click, click, click...
4. Wait for order to arrive
NOTE: steps 2 & 3 can take as little as a minute and cost me nothing

Making an online purchase during normal business hours with a cashier's check:
1. Place order
2. Address & stamp envelope
3. Leave office, go to parking deck
4. Drive from parking deck to credit union
5. Get cashier's check
6. Drive from credit union to parking deck
7. Stop by mailbox to mail check
8. Return to office
9. Wait for check to get to vendor
10. Wait for order to arrive
NOTE: steps 2 through 8 can take 30 minutes or longer and cost me an envelope, postage, and mileage (if my credit union didn't provide free cashier's checks at my account level, I'd also have to pay for a CC or MO); step 9 takes DAYS

Thanks for that,  have you ever heard of a wire transfer,  it takes about the same amount of time to do a paypal transfer.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 11:27:59 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Thanks for that,  have you ever heard of a wire transfer,  it takes about the same amount of time to do a paypal transfer.

How many people (individuals, not businesses) selling here on AR15.com's Equipment Exchange (pretty much the only place I use Paypal) accept wire transfers?  Credit cards over the phone?  Etc.?  If they took it, I would use it.  Look at the ads - 95%+ say check, MO, and/or Paypal.  Of those options, the easiest and quickest by far is Paypal.  Like others who posted above, I couldn't care less what Paypal likes or doesn't like.  I don't have anything but the basic account so I don't pay them anything.

Point me to a viable alternative THAT IS JUST AS WIDELY ACCEPTED BY INDIVIDUALS and I'll be all over it...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top