Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/15/2018 8:30:47 AM EDT
Am I the only one who subtracts 50 IQ points from whoever is riding a bike with them?

75 points if they're above shoulder height.

ETA: My above OP was poorly phrased. Was not aware until the replies that people consider 15 inch extensions to be Ape Hangers. I am referring to the extreme Apes well above shoulder height.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 8:32:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been assured that it is a more comfortable riding position when in the OBGYN position.  I don't buy it, but that is what I'm told.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 8:33:09 AM EDT
[#2]

They're great for putting the criminal riders that use them into the "hands up, don't shoot" posture.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 8:33:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Because loud pipes.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 8:34:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Its for the same reason they cant run down to the corner store without putting on their Halloween costume first.

ATTENTION.

Hey Everybody! Look at ME!
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 8:35:15 AM EDT
[#5]
It is for looks, which is also the entire point of their choice of motorcycle in the first place.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 8:37:03 AM EDT
[#6]
My brother-in-law has a Sportster with hangers on it.

It's not even remotely comfortable and the mirrors are nearly useless.

So I don't know why, other than for looks.

Edit: every time I ask him to go on a ride, he always says he's still dealing with an oil leak
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 8:37:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Ape hangers.

Pants down below the ass.

Affliction T-shirts.

Larue Hats.

All minor variations of peas from the same pod.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 8:37:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Cured the neck and shoulder pain I had with heritage bars in my 09 RK. 17" Carlini's were perfect. Did 750 miles in 1 day and had no pain. YMMV
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 8:38:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Ape hangers are cooler than the fags in safety yellow jumpsuits with headlight modulators.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 8:39:49 AM EDT
[#10]
It's runs along the same category as drag queens, 22's rims,
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 8:40:36 AM EDT
[#11]
My old m/c did not allow them.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 8:41:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I would like to ride one just to see how it is.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 8:41:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Because their cool looking.......like upswept fishtail pipes.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 8:42:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 8:42:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ape hangers.

Affliction T-shirts.

Larue Hats.

View Quote
Dude.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 8:44:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Depends on the height.  Med or lower height apes can be very comfortable.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 8:49:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Ape hangers are cooler than the fags in safety yellow jumpsuits with headlight modulators.
View Quote
This.
Fags on fag bikes belong on fag bikes, Harley riders beat the fuck out of fags on fag bikes.

A warning for you fags, don't go and try to hang with real bikers and knock our bikes, if you don't like em we believe it, you don't belong on one anyway.

And don't come up for a hog roast on yer fuckin ring-ding pile of metric shit and start yelping about how great your bikes are.

We don't want to hear it, if you don't like apes, well fuck you, we don't care.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 8:51:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Almost as cool as the tacticool operators at the range decked out in all the tier one gear while they punch paper at 25 yards
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 8:52:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This.
Fags on fag bikes belong on fag bikes, Harley riders beat the fuck out of fags on fag bikes.

A warning for you fags, don't go and try to hang with real bikers and knock our bikes, if you don't like em we believe it, you don't belong on one anyway.

And don't come up for a hog roast on yer fuckin ring-ding pile of metric shit and start yelping about how great your bikes are.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.

I want to subscribe to your news letter
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 8:53:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
https://www.riderzlaw.com/motorcycle-blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Ape-Hangers-2.png

They're great for putting the criminal riders that use them into the "hands up, don't shoot" posture.
View Quote
Like anything else......people get carried away. I like them about shoulder height......
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 8:54:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Cured the neck and shoulder pain I had with heritage bars in my 09 RK. 17" Carlini's were perfect. Did 750 miles in 1 day and had no pain. YMMV
View Quote
That sounds terrible.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 8:56:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 8:56:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Bikers dont think mortorcycle handling be like it is, but it do.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 8:56:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Armpit cooling.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 8:57:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 8:57:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.

It's funnier when you read it in his Minnesoooota accent, don'tcha know.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 8:57:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Looks cool.

Depending on rider and how they are set up is more comfortable then any other type of bar.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 8:57:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Because they they yern for

Link Posted: 9/15/2018 8:57:51 AM EDT
[#29]
I don't buy the "more comfortable" explanation. Unless numb hands and arms from lack of blood flow is desirable.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 8:58:39 AM EDT
[#30]
For us 6'plus alphas, apes are much more comfortable.

Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:00:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It is for looks, which is also the entire point of their choice of motorcycle in the first place.
View Quote
Nothing but that.
If they were more comfortable then all the iron butt guys would use them.
If they made the bike handle better then the moto GP guys would use them.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:03:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Except for the rare medical reason, they are just retarded.
Especially when paired with a huge front wheel.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:05:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Depends on the height.  Med or lower height apes can be very comfortable.
View Quote
Very much this.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:07:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.

Not caring is not posting.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:07:51 AM EDT
[#35]

I have a picture of me next to that bike, somewhere. He came into Denney's HD in Springfield, MO, when I worked there, so that would have been something like 2000-2004. Considering the MODOT sign in the background of the other pic, he's regional to the area.

The bike was parked and I was standing next to it and the handlebars were over my head. I'm 6'2". I'm so glad I didn't have to push that thing onto a lift, not that our ceiling was tall enough to lift it much.

And people run ape hangers because it's like power steering for motorcycles.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:08:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
disagree with the second part of that statement. Crusiers have a completely different position thats really comfortable to cruise around at.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:10:35 AM EDT
[#37]
It’s a way to try and attract attention. Bikers weren’t hugged enough as children :(
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:13:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Ape hangers.

Affliction T-shirts.

Larue Hats.

View Quote
People get ape hangers for free?

Who knew.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:14:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:14:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Because of the fantastic ergonomics.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:16:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Because of the fantastic ergonomics.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:17:01 AM EDT
[#42]
So you think those people are somehow lesser than you are?
Post a picture if yourself, and your ride OP. Let us do the Christian thing, and judge you.

I'd chastise your typical brodozer moron with oversized tires a lot easier than an jdiot with ape hangers. Brodozer boy is just suffering from soy ingestion, has a small penis, was picked on as a boy, is hen pecked at home, probably cucked, and has to answer his boss with yes sir or maam at every turn.  ...but on the road, that sumbitch has authority!

Anyways, I digress. I find the high ape hangers ridiculous, the shoulder height are perfect, and quite comfortable.
Still though, there's no accounting for taste. Some people like no beans in their chili, some people like to ride their giant brodozers, some people like canned peas. Hell some people even like Korean beam sauce
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:17:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This.

View Quote
Lol. So triggered.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:18:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you look in the background, you can see her house. The yellow one. It matches the bike.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:19:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

This.

View Quote
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:20:09 AM EDT
[#46]
I think OP is referring to handlebars that have your hands and arms above shoulder level.  That is the way I know most people I know define it in their minds.  Bars that are high, but have the arms level or lower than shoulder level; I don't call them ape hangers, just high or raised bars.

The whole reason for the term is that the user looks like an ape.....hanging from a branch....  Racist, I tell you,....racist....

But seriously, folks...  The pic you posted above, I would never call ape hangers.

Unless I was riding it with my wee leprechaun size and had to reach up to them.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:20:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Ape hangers.

Affliction T-shirts.

Larue Hats.

View Quote
Or, as George Carlin put it....
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:21:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:22:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I've been assured that it is a more comfortable riding position when in the OBGYN position.  I don't buy it, but that is what I'm told.
View Quote
Properly sized ones are quite comfortable.  Anything over shoulder height is a fucking joke though.  I have a 99 road king.  I also have a ruptured disc in my lower back.  I changed out the stock bars for a set of 14 inch tall apes.  I'm right at 6 foot tall, and this places my hands right at heart level.  The bars at that height encourage me to maintain a semi reclined, yet upright riding position.  It basically makes slouching forward next to impossible.  I can cover quite a few miles on that old beast without any back pain.  Something I couldn't have said about the stock bars.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:23:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I think OP is referring to handlebars that have your hands and arms above shoulder level.  That is the way I know most people I know define it in their minds.  Bars that are high, but have the arms level or lower than shoulder level; I don't call them ape hangers, just high or raised bars.

The whole reason for the term is that the user looks like an ape.....hanging from a branch....  Racist, I tell you,....racist....

But seriously, folks...  The pic you posted above, I would never call ape hangers.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yup. I wouldn't consider those "ape hangers". They actually look comfortable and aren't even shoulder height, so they don't even come close to the "ape" posture that go with ape hangers.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top