Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/1/2018 7:11:36 PM EDT
Watching Ken Burns Vietnam series and some USA soldiers are wearing tiger stripes camo uniforms in pictures, they were never issued how did the soldiers get them and wear them (other than buy them in country), would they be considered out of uniform with them on? were their rules on who could wear them? very interested
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 7:12:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 7:12:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Dye job.  You know, like getting orange P-mags.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 7:13:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Bought them in Thailand.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 7:14:52 PM EDT
[#4]
From the same place they got the golf ball grenades and booby trapped chicom ammunition. Supply.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 7:15:22 PM EDT
[#5]
It’s Wikipedia but.....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tigerstripe

When the United States began sending advisors to South Vietnam, USMAAG advisors attached to the ARVN were authorized to wear their Vietnamese unit's combat uniform with US insignia.

Soon, many American special operations forces in the Vietnamese theater of operations wore the pattern, despite not always being attached to ARVN units: it became the visible trademark of Green Berets, LRRPs, SEALs, and other elite forces.

Tigerstripe was never an official US-issue item. Personnel permitted to wear it at first had their camo fatigues custom-made by local tailors, ARVN uniforms being too small for most Americans;
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 7:16:13 PM EDT
[#6]
They were likely acquired by acquisition.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 7:18:08 PM EDT
[#7]
deleted.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 7:26:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I think they got them from local tailors

They are very cool looking.

Link Posted: 8/1/2018 7:33:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Civilian shops there was a kind of mini mall on Dong Tam
Until the rockets took out half

Shit faded though and that made it worse....simple OD was best even when it faded it still worked.

Except in the areas that had no foliage
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 7:44:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Tiger stripes make you feel like preditor
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 7:45:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 7:49:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Same way I magically grew pockets on my DCU sleeves.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 7:59:55 PM EDT
[#13]
That’s classified.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 8:03:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
That’s why they went after Kurtz, he talked.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 8:05:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't know but my uncle wore them, he was with 5th special forces group.  I had a set of his years ago but they have been lost over time.
I had always thought he did 2 tours but I recently found out he did 3.5 tours in that shithole.  He retired in '86 but Agent Orange cancer got him in '89.
Retired CSM with 26 years Army, 2 years Navy.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 8:07:25 PM EDT
[#16]
@TX-Zen
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 8:08:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Same place the rest of us did; the flea market.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 10:51:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Dunno, but damn were they ever cool....
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 10:54:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 10:54:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Dunno, but damn were they ever cool....
View Quote
I never really wanted to stand out...before there was the Grey Man there was the OD man...
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 10:56:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Coolest looking pattern ever.  I had them when I was a little kid.   Not all that effective on the plains of sd though, haha.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 11:03:36 PM EDT
[#22]
pretty much my favorite pattern ever.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 11:06:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a set of my Dad’s.  He was a skinny bastard at 19.

Link Posted: 8/1/2018 11:09:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Amazon
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 11:10:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Watching Ken Burns Vietnam series and some USA soldiers are wearing tiger stripes camo uniforms in pictures, they were never issued how did the soldiers get them and wear them (other than buy them in country), would they be considered out of uniform with them on? were their rules on who could wear them? very interested
View Quote
Locals made not just uniforms but unit patches. Vietnamese...,,they can sew
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 11:12:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Its just like the bases we have today. Plenty of local tailors ready to make you anything you need. I read about them being made by the locals in one of the many SF books.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 11:12:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It was 'Nam man.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 11:14:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I never really wanted to stand out...before there was the Grey Man there was the OD man...
View Quote
My uncle that was killed in 69 at Marble Mountain had a bunch of odd uniforms in the pictures he sent to my Grandma. Anyway, no Tigers but he had EDRLs. I need to dig up those picks. I put them inside his burial flag. When I get back home I'll post them in a thread and see what you think. He's on a beach in most of them. My uncle kept the pics of the dead NVA in the concertina wire that his brother sent
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 11:15:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Local tailors & seamstresses in Vietnam could whip up anything you wanted most rikki tik, and for cheap too.

Same is true today, and also in Korea, the P.I., and a lot of other places in Asia.

"Hey GI?  You want tiger stripe?  I make you numbah one tiger stripe!  Two dollah!"

And plus you could fuck his sister for "five dollah."  (Or his mom if all you had was "three dollah").
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 11:15:33 PM EDT
[#30]
It is the coolest looking camo.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 11:17:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Hollywood wardrobe Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 11:24:12 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 8/1/2018 11:27:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Good GPC team in the unit.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 11:27:53 PM EDT
[#34]
My B company CSM Carlson was in the 173rd in Vietnam. He was such a dick. I've only met a handful of asshats while I was in SF and he was one of em. Every time I see the flying bong patch, I remember Carlson griefing me about checking out my own wife's bikini pics on my own laptop in the day room after COB
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 11:33:16 PM EDT
[#35]
That specific pattern (now called “John Wayne”) was a foreign contract run for SOG, I believe. They had them made in western sizes and are stamped inside.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 11:37:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That pattern was a foreign contract run for SOG, I believe.
View Quote
One thing I should know but i can't remember for sure is the French originally designed it in the 50s
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 11:40:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Some of my collection...

only one questionable set in the bunch

Link Posted: 8/1/2018 11:41:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Dye job.  You know, like getting orange P-mags.
View Quote
I have none dyed ones.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 11:42:45 PM EDT
[#39]
My best friend's dad was a Marine Recon or LRRP one, can't remember right this second. He found some pics of him in the tiger stripes last week when he and his brother were cleaning out their dad's home. He had him at home caring for him until a month ago and had to put him in a nursing home. His mom died two years ago and his dad just went downhill from there really fast, and his dementia has totally taken him over. He was shot in the back of both legs twice each trying to get to the helicopters to exfil.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 11:43:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

One thing I should know but i can't remember for sure is the French originally designed it in the 50s
View Quote
They designed “lizard” pattern. The South Viet Marines I think were the original adopters of tiger stripe. There are like 64 different patterns...gold, tadpole, John Wayne,etc...

Gold is actually pretty fuckin sweet. Occasionally Asian repop manufacturers will do material pattern runs for re-pop uniforms and some of the fabric ends up in fashion lines in Asia. I’ve seen some of it make it to places like JC Penney cargo shorts..

Somewhere I have a really rare theater made 6 panel “ball cap” in John Wayne, likely made from a cut up jungle top.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 11:45:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Laundry chicks.

Just like Iraq
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 11:48:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Local tailors & seamstresses in Vietnam could whip up anything you wanted most rikki tik, and for cheap too.

Same is true today, and also in Korea, the P.I., and a lot of other places in Asia.

"Hey GI?  You want tiger stripe?  I make you numbah one tiger stripe!  Two dollah!"

And plus you could fuck his sister for "five dollah."  (Or his mom if all you had was "three dollah").
View Quote
"Number one cherry girl, never before, my mother!"
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 11:50:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"My mother!  She virgin!"

Link Posted: 8/2/2018 8:25:29 AM EDT
[#44]
QQuoted:

@TX-Zen
View Quote
Before my time
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 10:25:44 AM EDT
[#45]
The problem with "Tiger Stripes" was that they screwed the pattern up as it was supposed to be vertical stripes not horizontal.
When it faded the dark splotches kinda of melded together making it easier to spot and no longer "camo".
When the OD faded it was more effective...
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 10:36:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The problem with "Tiger Stripes" was that they screwed the pattern up as it was supposed to be vertical stripes not horizontal.
When it faded the dark splotches kinda of melded together making it easier to spot and no longer "camo".
When the OD faded it was more effective...
View Quote
Today's Army uniform is like that.The multicam has vertical branches but the Army's scorpion does not
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 10:44:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Today's Army uniform is like that.The multicam has vertical branches but the Army's scorpion does not
View Quote
Multicam is actually designed to fade too. I remember an article with Caleb Crye in I.D. magazine back when they first introduced the pattern.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 10:46:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It's Wikipedia but.....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tigerstripe

When the United States began sending advisors to South Vietnam, USMAAG advisors attached to the ARVN were authorized to wear their Vietnamese unit's combat uniform with US insignia.

Soon, many American special operations forces in the Vietnamese theater of operations wore the pattern, despite not always being attached to ARVN units: it became the visible trademark of Green Berets, LRRPs, SEALs, and other elite forces.

Tigerstripe was never an official US-issue item. Personnel permitted to wear it at first had their camo fatigues custom-made by local tailors, ARVN uniforms being too small for most Americans;
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 10:54:31 AM EDT
[#49]
I've said this before, but these guys are for the most part still capable today. If you add better radios and maybe armor, they would be pretty capable and probably better than a lot of the world today.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 5:31:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Just asked my girl's dad... 1st ID vet 68-69.  He said "mama san" could make you anything on the cheap... and command usually didnt give a fuck what you wore.  Hell,  they'd wear cutoff fatigue shorts and tees as often as possible .
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top