Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 72
Posted: 6/22/2018 8:10:26 PM EDT
In this thread we will document the progress of the SpaceX man rated crew vehicle...Crew Dragon.  

Launch date projection as of  28 September 2020:

a.  Uncrewed Demo 1 - 2 March 2019.    Successful
b.  In-flight abort test - 19 January 2020 around 800 AM EST.  Successful
c.  Crewed Demo 2 -   30 May 2020.  3:22 PM EDT.  Launch successful.  Crew Dragon docked with the ISS on 31 May.  Undocking at 734 PM EDT on 1 August 2020.  Pensacola site sea splashdown successful.
d.  Crew-1.   First operational mission - 31 October 2020  2:40 AM EDTNext up
e.  Crew-2.   Second operational mission - 30 March 2021

Note:  Docking with the ISS is around 1027 AM EDT on Sunday, 31 May 2020.

Overview of the 30 May 2020 manned launch  (Demo-2).  SpaceX streaming is here as well.  SpaceX streaming to start about 1100 AM on 30 May.

NASA TV coverage starts at 1100 AM, 30 May 2020

NASA Live: Official Stream of NASA TV

NASA TV Schedule:  NASA TV schedule

May 31, Sunday
10:27 a.m. - Docking of the SpaceX/DM-2 Crew Dragon and NASA astronauts Doug Hurley and Bob Behnken to the International Space Station - Hawthorne, California/Johnson Space Center (All Channels)
12:45 p.m. - SpaceX/Crew Dragon hatch opening to the International Space Station - Hawthorne, California/Johnson Space Center (All Channels)
1:15 p.m. - SpaceX/Crew Dragon and International Space Station crew welcoming event aboard the International Space Station (All Channels)
3:15 p.m. -  SpaceX/Dragon DM-2 post-docking briefing (All Channels)
4:30 p.m. - Video file feed of SpaceX/DM-2 rendezvous, docking, hatch opening and welcoming ceremony (Media Channel)

SpaceflightNow coverage

Archived posting

Engine test anomaly early report here

Watch on NASA TV (all times ET): https://go.nasa.gov/2IW7vYt  
March 7 12:15pm Hatch Closure
March 8 2:00am Undocking
March 8 7:30am Deorbit Burn & Splashdown

Hatch closure soon (now 1236 PM EST)

My initial guess as to where the capsule will be in the fiery (plasma) portion of re-entry (and overhead) is a little southeast of Columbia SC, near Spartanburg SC, up to Waynesville NC. Since I have seen a shuttle re-entry about twice this distance, I will extend the range to a short distance north of Knoxville TN, past Monticello KY towards Elizabethtown KY.

If you run a pass for the ISS to include daylight passes, find the one around 830 AM EST. If the elevation of the pass is high (70 degrees or so), you can use the predictions with reasonable validity for azimuth and elevation.

For Spartanburg SC, The ISS passes overhead at 838 AM EST.  30 seconds later is passes over Columbia SC.  The Capsule may be several minutes later so allow five minutes or so.

Since the spacecraft will be much lower that the ISS, as you get away from this line and the highest elevation of the pass gets lower (roughly 50 degrees and lower), you will have to look below that path in an attempt to see it if it is visible during daylight. I am guessing that by this point it will be five minutes or so behind the ISS passage.

If there is a sonic boom, that may occur closer to the South Carolina coast.

There will also be a portion of the Crew Dragon assembly called the trunk that should be jettisoned after the re-entry burn. Looking at the Soyuz entry, the trunk may fall behind the Crew Dragon capsule once they enter the Earth's atmosphere.  Update:  The trunk does not re-enter at the same time so will not be visible.  It enters from natural orbital decay at a later date.

People in the northwest might be able to see the ISS, Crew Dragon and trunk in visually semi-close position. I would plan on using binoculars for the capsule and trunk. You may have to scan a little lower than the path of the ISS and before and after it.

This information is the best that I can derive at this time. Later position information from SpaceX or NASA would override my guess.

Here is the pass for Seattle
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 9:56:32 PM EDT
[#1]
...where it is?
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 9:58:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
...where it is?
View Quote
I take that back, it's west of Cleveland, in Sandusky

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_Research_Center#Plum_Brook_Field_Station
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 10:00:36 PM EDT
[#3]
In!
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 11:13:31 AM EDT
[#4]
OST
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 11:14:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
OST
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 5:06:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 6:43:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCJM5eHn9OA
View Quote
Came here to post this
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 8:09:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 8:39:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Do they have an ascent abort test scheduled yet?
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 8:51:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Currently not scheduled but assumed to be in between the September DM1 uncrewed flight and the January DM2 first crewed flight.  I assume those dates be will slip as well.

Any bets on whether SpaceX or Boeing launches Crew first?
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 8:55:35 AM EDT
[#11]
According to wiki the tentative launch date for the first manned flight is the 17th of January 2019, I'm sure it'll get pushed back but I can't wait.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 8:58:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
According to wiki the tentative launch date for the first manned flight is the 17th of January 2019, I'm sure it'll get pushed back but I can't wait.
View Quote
So am I. I'm ready for us to start manned missions again.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 8:59:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Meanwhile NASA is still years away from flying their SLS, which is still billions from its first test flight.  Oh, and it's just a collection of parts that our nazis designed.  Sigh.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 9:25:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
In other news, both Blue Original and Virgin should be flying paying customers on suborbital hops next year as well.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 9:29:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Is there any plan for it to have a launch escape system?
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 9:34:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Is there any plan for it to have a launch escape system?
View Quote
Yes.  It uses a pusher system integrated into the capsule itself vs the launch escape tower tractor systems historically used and used on the Orion and Starliner.

Link Posted: 6/27/2018 9:42:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yes.  It uses a pusher system integrated into the capsule itself vs the launch escape tower tractor systems historically used and used on the Orion and Starliner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_FXVjf46T8
View Quote
Was originally going to be the landing system as well.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 9:43:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Was originally going to be the landing system as well.
View Quote
Yep!

Dragon 2 Propulsive Hover Test
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 9:49:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Currently not scheduled but assumed to be in between the September DM1 uncrewed flight and the January DM2 first crewed flight.  I assume those dates be will slip as well.

View Quote
Supposedly the bottleneck for both now is NASA certification paperwork.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 9:55:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
I can certainly believe that.  Supposedly certifying the RD-180 has been a giant pain in the ass due to getting the needed information from Russia.

SpaceX still has to successfully fly Block 5 seven times before they can fly crew.  First launch that counts towards the 7 will be DM1 as it is the first Block 5 that will fly with the COPV 2.0.

ETA:  I don't think NASA has officially given the green light to SpaceX doing "load and go" on crewed launches as well.  But, once again waiting on NASA certification.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 9:57:31 AM EDT
[#21]
It needs some windows.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 9:59:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Comparison of Dragon 2 with other capsules

Link Posted: 6/27/2018 10:00:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It needs some screen windows.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 10:00:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I can certainly believe that.  Supposedly certifying the RD-180 has been a giant pain in the ass due to getting the needed information from Russia.

SpaceX still has to successfully fly Block 5 seven times before they can fly crew.  First launch that counts towards the 7 will be DM1 as it is the first Block 5 that will fly with the COPV 2.0.

ETA:  I don't think NASA has officially given the green light to SpaceX doing "load and go" on crewed launches as well.  But, once again waiting on NASA certification.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Half the problem is that there's almost nobody left in the agency that has ever done the man-rating process so it's almost like we've never done it before.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 10:01:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It needs some windows.
View Quote
It's 2018 - cameras >>> windows
A window is a hole in the hull. Don't want those...
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 10:01:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
AA-2 for Orion will be cool to watch, will activate at about 30k feet
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 10:06:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Neat  Is it scheduled yet?
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 10:06:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It needs some windows.
It's got windows

Link Posted: 6/27/2018 10:08:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It needs some windows.
View Quote
Can be seen on the capsule during EMI testing.  Same capsule shown in OP, just the opposite side.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 10:12:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Around Aug 2019 I think.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 10:20:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SpaceX.  I don't even think it will be that close.

Of course, I could be wrong.  The Elon Musk haters have assured me that everything he does is smoke and mirrors.   We'll find out any day now that he hasn't actually been launching payloads for the last several years.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 2:39:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It needs some windows.
View Quote
And a hatch with explosive bolts.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 3:32:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Meanwhile NASA is still years away from flying their SLS, which is still billions from its first test flight.  Oh, and it's just a collection of parts that our nazis designed.  Sigh.
View Quote
from what it sounds liek they are stuck in a paralysis by analysis loop with the RS25's.  Yes, they work.. you dont need 4 times more tests than planned.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 5:36:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

And a hatch with explosive bolts.
View Quote
No bucks...
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 5:39:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Boeing's suit makes me think of the Gemini 7 suits... at least that soft helmet does, anyway.

On Starman over there, I still want to see the hookups for air, thermal control, etc.

Link Posted: 7/5/2018 5:47:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
In other news, both Blue Original and Virgin should be flying paying customers on suborbital hops next year as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What a great time to be alive.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 6:00:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No doubt!!!
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 7:41:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

SpaceX.  I don't even think it will be that close.

Of course, I could be wrong.  The Elon Musk haters have assured me that everything he does is smoke and mirrors.   We'll find out any day now that he hasn't actually been launching payloads for the last several years.
View Quote
Some people can't tell the difference between Musk's businesses, and they look at the Gov't money that SpaceX gets, and forget that the Gov't gets something - launch services - for that money with SpaceX. (And very reasonably priced Launch services, at that)

Tesla and Solar City, on the other hand, take tons of Gov't money and return nothing to the taxpayer. Those businesses (1 now, but still) are specifically structured to maximize gov't handouts. People see that, and say 'Musk is a Huckster'. They're right... but that doesn't mean that everything he does is that way.

People can't split the actions from the man or company. SpaceX is the real deal. Tesla/Solar City are subsidy factories.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 7:48:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
No way you are staying awake under that g-load!
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 7:57:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Absolutely!
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 7:58:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

No way you are staying awake under that g-load!
View Quote
May not want to be awake if you're taking that ride
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 8:31:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

May not want to be awake if you're taking that ride
View Quote
I'd rather be alive than conscious if the main motor catastrophically fails.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 10:02:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It needs some windows.
View Quote
What, like Bezos' "big beautiful window" on his flying dildo?
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 10:06:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Behindtheblack.com

Yea dragon!
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 10:38:44 AM EDT
[#49]
My plant is a SpaceX supplier.  They have really ramped up their supplier audits in preparation for manned flight.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 7:00:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Next stop, the Cape!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 72
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top