Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/23/2018 10:19:10 AM EDT
In a tragic case of the ultimate selfie gone wrong, three young men in India who were poor swimmers set up a mobile phone to film themselves swimming in a deep pond. The camera then recorded them as they drowned.

As The Daily Mail, which obtained the video, reported, Chetan Khatik, 28, Sudarshan Chandel, 22, and Radheyshyam Khatik, 27, were taking a bike ride through Rajsamand city in Rajasthan, western India. While in the city, they decided to get into the deep pool at Gauri Dham Kund.

Setting up one of their mobile phones on the side of the pond, they started by splashing each other at the edge of the pond. But then one man jumped into the pond and started to struggle to stay afloat. The other two men jumped into the deep end in a effort to rescue him.

Within moments, the three men, all struggling to stay afloat, tried to climb on top of each other to stay above the surface. One by one they got submerged under the water, while the camera kept recording as the three-minute video was created.
View Quote
Read the rest @ https://www.dailywire.com/news/30980/selfie-gone-wrong-three-men-film-themselves-hank-berrien

Pics and Vid @ http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5761601/Three-men-accidentally-film-drowning-pond-India.html
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:20:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Death is tragic, but Darwin is smiling.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:22:03 AM EDT
[#2]
That’s weapons grade Darwinism taken to the MAD level.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:23:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Something about 1st post.

crazy as the water did not look like it was moving. You would think you could still make your way towards the shallows.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:23:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll have a Coke, please.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:23:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I think they were a few steps down from "poor" swimmers
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:23:55 AM EDT
[#6]
How can a grown man not know how to swim?
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:24:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:25:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Story time.

In college, one of my jobs was lifeguard at the university pool.  90% of our rescues (and there was a lot of them) was Indian and Asian students who would come to the main Olympic lap pool (shallowest part was 7ft), and just jump right in!  With NO, ZERO, NADA swimming ability!  Most would quickly be on the bottom, some would flail, and some would successfully make it over to a lane rope.

There are signs everywhere, but I was always amazed how it continued to happen, time after time.  The pool was obviously deep.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:25:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Would have been better to take of one's pants and toss the leg to the victim and pull him ashore.  RIP.  KwikeeMart/Telemarketeer/IRS hiring.  3 positions open.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:25:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Problem solved. Problem staying solved.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:25:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Didnt watch. Did they end up killing each other in the panic ?
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:26:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:28:27 AM EDT
[#13]
It looks like they're right next to the mud bank? Like almost within arms reach
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:28:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Would have been better to take of one's pants and toss the leg to the victim and pull him ashore.  RIP.  KwikeeMart/Telemarketeer/IRS hiring.  3 positions open.
View Quote
Reach, Throw, Row, Go
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:29:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I was taught to always whenever possible approach a struggling swimmer from behind and wrap them up. If you come from the front, they'll try and climb you and drown you.

Seems that's the case.

Grabbing them from the side seems to mostly work, but I can agree that from behind works pretty well.

Got my nose busted twice when rescuing people. Both were front approaches.
View Quote
Yes, the middle guy was in full panic and began pulling the others down. When my kids were pre-school I made sure they could swim.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:29:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Reminds me of the guy who jumped in quicksand to show how to escape quicksand. Didn't end well for him.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:29:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:31:55 AM EDT
[#18]
What a shame.

If they had gone in the Ganges instead they could have just walked back to shore on the corpses.

Oh well. Only about a billion more where they came from.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:32:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
We have men drown in the river here about once every 3 years, tubing.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:35:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Don't understand why they would go into a pond if they couldn't swim.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:36:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Reminds me of the guy who jumped in quicksand to show how to escape quicksand. Didn't end well for him.
View Quote
As a kid I was convinced quicksand would be a much greater danger to every day life than it has turned out to be so far.

Those dudes were only like 10 feet from the phone, holy crap.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:37:52 AM EDT
[#22]
I bet they wont do that again
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:37:53 AM EDT
[#23]
One does not simply "swim" in the waters of India
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:38:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Classic climbing an invisible ladder.

There's a reason lifeguards are taught how to approach and separate if needed.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:41:21 AM EDT
[#25]
I have never been able to fathom how any adult has never learned how to swim.

I just don't even know it's possible as a functioning adult to not wake up one day and think "you know what, I should probably learn how to fucking swim since I am 25 years old and will drown if I fall in the kiddie pool".
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:41:25 AM EDT
[#26]
That's sad.  It's hard to believe that a grown man wouldn't know instinctively how to paddle/push against water, just in a general sort of way.  They looked very near to rocks or the side or whatever too.  Weird and sad.

Hey, at least a gun didn't kill them. jk
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:41:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Am I going to hell for laughing
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:44:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
As a kid I was convinced quicksand would be a much greater danger to every day life than it has turned out to be so far.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was terrified of quicksand as a kid. I always hoped I would find some in the woods.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:46:20 AM EDT
[#29]
None of them wanted to  flail themselves to the edge that was only like 10 feet away?
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:50:26 AM EDT
[#30]
I have never seen a human sink in water like that.... Part of me thinks this is fake and the other part tells me that no one can be that terrible at swimming.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:50:47 AM EDT
[#31]
damn
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:59:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
I had a “Kung Fu” lunchbox that had a quicksand scene painted on it for some unknown reason. Scared the fuck out of me.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 11:01:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have never seen a human sink in water like that.... Part of me thinks this is fake and the other part tells me that no one can be that terrible at swimming.
View Quote
I grew up swimming in fresh water in upstate New York.  My parents made sure me and my sisters had a basic grasp of swimming.  I then went to summer camp in the early 70's and learned to formally swim.  These days, living near the ocean, I bike 10 miles to a nearby bay and swim in salt water which provides much greater buoyancy then fresh water.  Still I am surprised so many people do not even know the basics of floating.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 11:01:26 AM EDT
[#34]
I used to build docks with a guy who couldn’t swim. THE JOB REQUIRED SWIMMING EVERY DAY. He would leap/flail from piling to piling. If he got stuck out somewhere where he couldn’t push off to get to another thing to grab onto, he’d shout for us to throw him a rope.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 11:01:57 AM EDT
[#35]
If you are a grown man and can’t swim you have serious fucking issues........period end of story.  Fuckin pathetic
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 11:03:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Like someone flushed the toilet and they went down.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 11:03:37 AM EDT
[#37]
I've seen a lot of terrible things on video thanks to the internet.

Perhaps the most disturbing, lasting video I can remember is the guy that filmed himself jumping straight into a pit of quicksand.

He set a camera on a tripod, then casually jumped in like someone entering a pool.

Well, it ended about as well as you can imagine.

Slowly he stopped trying to clear the muck off his face, and the bubbles stopped coming to the surface.

The nonchalant nature of the video, and his total lack of panic...bothered me.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 11:03:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
That's sad.  It's hard to believe that a grown man wouldn't know instinctively how to paddle/push against water, just in a general sort of way.  They looked very near to rocks or the side or whatever too.  Weird and sad.

Hey, at least a gun didn't kill them. jk
View Quote
There's a lot more to it than most people think.  Build a robot with the same buoyancy and lung displacement as a human, and see what controls are necessary to keep it afloat.  Breathing control and lung displacement are critical, and that stuff falls apart fast the more panicked one becomes.  That's a lot of stuff to come to grips with for a non-swimmer, and usually an impossible learning curve for someone in a panic.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 11:03:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
I was smiling watching it.  It looked like they were having fun.

A foot from the shore
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 11:04:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 11:07:15 AM EDT
[#41]
They appeared to be drowning.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 11:08:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
They don't even teach attempting to physically help the drowning victim.

Its Reach/Throw/Row. No more Go.

Going is for recovering the body. The reality is even a trained lifeguard should be taking something buoyant to the drowning person, and then tow that person to safety. Unless its a small child, going is making more victims.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 11:11:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If you are a grown man and can't swim you have serious fucking issues........period end of story.  Fuckin pathetic
View Quote
Swimming is a skill that is taught to you.  If you are raised in a poor, urban environment where pools are rare you are not likely to know how to swim. Maybe as an adult a non-swimmer should pay for lessons but it's not something most non-swimmers would think to do.  Most just stay away from water.

8nBAIT
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 11:11:49 AM EDT
[#44]
For some reason I noticed how peaceful and beautiful the sounds of nature were after they were gone with the birds chirping and stuff, beautiful place just keeps being beautiful after the tragic drownings.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 11:13:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
None of them wanted to  flail themselves to the edge that was only like 10 feet away?
View Quote
As a lifeguard and Aquatics Director at a Boy Scout Summer Camp for years, I have seen this hundreds of times. People who aren't comfortable in the water panic and go blind to whats around them. The arms go out to the side, as you can see in the video, and move up and down. If the arms don't contact the side of the pool or something else then they will drown right there. I have had kids panic and start to do it less than a foot from the side of the pool, but since they were facing it and arms didn't touch it since they were out to the side they just kept flailing.  You just reach down, grab an arm and pull them to the side.

And always approach from the rear if you are trying to save someone. Talk to them as you approach, arm goes over shoulder, across chest and hand goes under other armpit. Pull them up onto your side and start swimming with a side stroke using free arm. They should settle right down, and if they don't use hand under armpit to pinch the axillary nerve in the armpit till the stop squirming. Classic cross-chest carry technique. Doing anything else is asking for a fight in the water.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 11:14:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
I could swim until I was about 10. It eventually started getting harder and harder. My form and speed where good, but I could not keep myself from sinking. I really noticed it when I was 15 and had to thread water in the track and field practice. I could not. Twice I had to drop to the bottom and launch myself towards a wall before I went into a panic. This earned me extra attention from the coaches but none could help stay afloat. Today, with a breath full of air, I still sink a couple feet before I reach neutral buoyancy in the ocean. More in fresh water. The shitty thing about that is I love being on the water. I had a swim coach as an adult. No luck. Blamed it on my body density. I've done what I can to help myself. I've trained holding my breath and underwater meditation along with pushing myself to swim laps in the pool underwater... trying to go as far as I can without breathing.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 11:14:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

They don't even teach attempting to physically help the drowning victim.

Its Reach/Throw/Row. No more Go.

Going is for recovering the body. The reality is even a trained lifeguard should be taking something buoyant to the drowning person, and then tow that person to safety. Unless its a small child, going is making more victims.
View Quote
I was told by a lifeguard it's safer/easier to let them drown and then save them.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 11:14:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Third world.

Every body of water is more or less a sewer.

No knowledge of what happens when you don't know how.

The three of the non-swimmers in there must have been like crabs in a bucket.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 11:15:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
They appeared to be drowning.
View Quote
In before:  The died doing what they loved
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 11:16:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I had always just assumed it was second nature for humans to at least know how to dog paddle. I mean, you can take an infant in a pool, and they kick and stuff like a frog.

I quickly got that out of my head while watching black guys doing drown proofing in the Army.
View Quote
One of my friends next to me in drownproofing was a decathlete, Hispanic guy, super low body fat.  We'd rock climbed together, and what he lacked in skill, he made up for in sheer determination and willpower.  I remember watching him in the drown proofing, hands behind the back, feet together for however many minutes, maybe 30.  Damn that was painful to watch.  He got through, but without style points.  You're in the pool, clear water, you're calm and able to get your nose above water for occasional breaths, and in between, you're watching your friends, some of them seriously athletic, sinking like a damn rock.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top