Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/20/2018 8:51:52 PM EDT
I am looking at new push lawn mowers.  I see the new engines from Briggs have no prime starting and never change oil, only check and add.  (That how I did it anyway.)   Are these engines better then before or did they make a couple minor conveniences and lower the long term reliability?

#2 Are the Honda engines that much better ?

#3  Never had a self propelled before.  I never really felt like it was much work to push.   What is the life of this system before it needs a belt or other service?   They seem to be single speed, is it a good speed?
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:54:53 PM EDT
[#1]
1) Probably a ball bearing main/crank bearing
2) Honda all the way for small power equipment
3) Depends on what brand you buy. Most new ones are like a CVT and you control the speed. The self propelled systems will last longer than you will as long as you're not deliberately trying to break it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:55:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Never change the oil? What kind of madness is that?

I got a self propelled few years back, worth every penny.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:55:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't speak for now, but forty years ago my father purchased a self propelled "Push Mower"  I remember we got tired of putting the chain back on the spocket so many times that we ended up disconnecting it altogether.  I am rocking a "Weed Eater" brand push mower I bought at Walmart for $60 a few years ago.  I would recommend that you stick with a conventional push mower.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:57:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can't speak for now, but forty years ago my father purchased a self propelled "Push Mower"  I remember we got tired of putting the chain back on the spocket so many times that we ended up disconnecting it altogether.  I am rocking a "Weed Eater" brand push mower I bought at Walmart for $60 a few years ago.  I would recommend that you stick with a conventional push mower.
View Quote
Never had a problem with mine. Had it for 5 years now.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:58:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Never change the oil? What kind of madness is that?

I got a self propelled few years back, worth every penny.
View Quote
The body will probably rust or fall apart before the motor fails.

Honda motors on lawn mowers are harder to kill than Steven Segal.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:58:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I would never not change oil in any engine. That seems asinine to me.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:00:35 PM EDT
[#7]
They dont last long enough to have to change the oil, which is probably synthetic.  LOL.  If you can afford and want something that lasts, honda would be a good choice.  You can go to your local power dealer, not home cheapo! and get something good there as well.  Most people dont as those options cost more up front.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:02:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't think I've ever changed the oil on a vertical crank engine.  Just top up as necessary.   The engines have all long outlasted the rest of the mowers.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:02:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Read the owners manual. Its not just check and add. You either suck it out through check and fill hole or turn it completely over and pour it out.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:03:40 PM EDT
[#10]
it's more of an Oil Refresh iirc of what the JD dealer told me, it's quick and easy.

Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:04:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Had the same decision today. Bought a self propelled Honda to replace a husqvarna that didn't have a bagger and left behind too much grass clumps. Self propelled is worth the small amount extra.  Never had one fail in the 25 years or so I have mowed lawns. Motor will go out maybe, or just starts rusting apart.  I was unsure on the no oil change Briggs as well, and spent the extra 50 or so for the Honda.

Also said the hell with gas powered weed eater and bought a 20volt black and decker. Should be enough for my sized lawn and fence.  The gas ones weigh twice as much and are a constant pain.  I wanted the dewalt fo match the pile of batteries I have but the reviews are beyond terrible.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:05:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't lawn mowers already have no oil change engines
Ive never changed the oil in a lawn mower. Never even checked it
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:05:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I have never changed the oil in my huswvarna push mower, I check it and it looks fine.  It's probably 7 years old now and does not have a drain plug.  I'm not tipping it over to drain the oil.  I'll buy a new one when this one dies (still looks and runs like new)
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:05:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Oops.  Need to edit this:

I've got an 11 year old Toro with a Briggs & Stratton Tecumseh engine.  The self-propel gears stripped after a few years, but the engine still runs great.  I ended up ripping out the self-propel gearbox because it was a lot of resistance to push through.  Now it's just a plain old push mower and I actually prefer it that way.  Went 10 years without changing the oil.  Still runs.

The Briggs & Stratton engine is on the snowblower.  That has gone 9 years without an oil change and it still runs fine.

Hmm...looking at the above makes me realize that I should probably change the oil more often.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:05:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Would you trust the oil in any Hecho en China engine?
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:06:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Have a Briggs no prime now for 9 years, doing great!
I do change the oil every other year or so by dumping the old out of the dipstick tube.

I was just mowing the yard today thinking how fortunate I was with the purchase
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:07:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Read the owners manual. Its not just check and add. You either suck it out through check and fill hole or turn it completely over and pour it out.
View Quote
I read the big sticker on the engine.  It says never change oil, just check and add.   No small print  disclaimer
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:08:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've run mowers over 10 years never changing the oil.  One I ran over and replaced and the other I gave to my neighbor since I hired a lawn service.  Neither ever had the oil changed, both still ran fine when I got rid of them.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:09:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I don't think I've ever changed the oil on a vertical crank engine.  Just top up as necessary.   The engines have all long outlasted the rest of the mowers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just seems creepy to me. I’ll keep tipping my mower yearly.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:09:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Haha!

I don't change the oil in mine.  I just add. There's no need to change, as the mower uses oil.

Self propelled still works. Side discharge still works. Mulching still works. Engine starts with a spray or two of starting fluid.

The deck has a rust hole in it. Once it clogs with grass, everything is good to go.

Thing has to be getting close to 25 years old, but I can't really justify getting a new one because it won't die.  Eventually, the engine is going to fall through the deck, and at that point, I'll just load it onto my trailer and haul it to the recyclers.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:10:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

OP, had a honda mower for 5 years, starts on 1st pull everyime, even after the winter.  Never done anything but basic maintenance.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:11:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Don't lawn mowers already have no oil change engines
Ive never changed the oil in a lawn mower. Never even checked it
View Quote
This. ^^^
Just change air filter and blade once a year.

I hate cutting grass.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:17:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Ha. No change? Shit.......

People don't think viscosity be like it is, but it do.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:20:21 PM EDT
[#24]
No oil change has been around for a long time.

It's called 2 stroke
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:20:21 PM EDT
[#25]
An old lawnboy 2 stroke is the way to go. Especially on hilly areas
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:20:48 PM EDT
[#26]
I never knew so many people didn't change oil on their mowers. No wonder there are so many on the curbs waiting for garbage trucks every week. It's just 15 minutes a year to do it.

The Hondas are highly recommended if you have the money. Self propelled systems are durable as long you don't but the cheapest of cheap.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:21:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Ha. No change? Shit.......

People don't think viscosity be like it is, but it do.
View Quote
Rotella T1 SAE 30
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:26:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
An old lawnboy 2 stroke is the way to go. Especially on hilly areas
View Quote
I wish they could start making them again. Mine is almost worn out from decades of use.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:26:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Toro personal pace with a B&S engine or go the commercial one with the Kaw engine. I will not buy any other push mower again.
I do change my oil after the first 5 hrs of run time and every 2 to 3 years. Oil still looks fresh. My Zero turn once a year because of
the amount of time and how hard I run it. I have become a fan of 15/40 Delo oil for my air cool engines.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:31:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Yeah, hondas rock but my 3 yr old HRX217 just shit the bed on the self propelled system. Just a belt, but lord help ya, gotta tear down half the mower to replace. Suxed ass.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:34:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I never knew so many people didn't change oil on their mowers. No wonder there are so many on the curbs waiting for garbage trucks every week. It's just 15 minutes a year to do it.

The Hondas are highly recommended if you have the money. Self propelled systems are durable as long you don't but the cheapest of cheap.
View Quote
I've replaced a few mowers over the years and yet it's never once been as a result of a non-functional motor.  I've also.....not once.....changed the oil.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:35:10 PM EDT
[#32]
My Ryobi just needs a fresh 40v battery and I am good to go...no oil or gas..

Then again my lawn is not that large...just a standard 70 foot house lot...I can mow it with one full large battery.

No need to store any gas in the garage which I was never a fan of these days with the heat in TX.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:40:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Never had a problem with mine. Had it for 5 years now.
View Quote
I have a Briggs and Stratton “John deer” self propelled mower going on 10 years. I don’t know if the oil has been changed or not. I have changed air filters as needed.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:02:01 PM EDT
[#34]
I didnt know people didnt change lawn mower oil. interesting.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:07:13 PM EDT
[#35]
I just can't  wrap my head around never changing the oil, it's so cheap and easy and lubrication so critical to the engines lifespan.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:09:35 PM EDT
[#36]
I've seen more broken Honda engines on push mowers than I can count, GX series if I recall.

I have a Briggs never change the oil model, I've had it for a couple seasons - doesn't use any oil and it's still clean as day one.

I never changed oil in my mowers anyways outside of a rider.

No primer, so after it sits all winter it takes a couple pulls, otherwise it's a one or two hit wonder.

Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:09:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I just can't  wrap my head around never changing the oil, it's so cheap and easy and lubrication so critical to the engines lifespan.
View Quote
QFT.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:14:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I didnt know people didnt change lawn mower oil. interesting.
View Quote
It sounds insane
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:17:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
QFT.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
QFT.
I quote myself for truth
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:20:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Some people will never be able to let themselves do that.

Same as the guys who change their oil every 2500 or 3000 miles still, or let their car warm up for 10 minutes because "their grandfather taught them to".

Facts, logic, engineering don't matter. Just whatever folklore is wedged in their head by some well-meaning person.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:21:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Guarantee you it was Cleetus or Billy Joe from the refurbish shop said (while standing around like King of the Hill) "Hey, these motors burn so much oil you don't even need to change it." Then it went from a bug to a feature.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:22:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I don't change the oil in mine.  I just add. There's no need to change, as the mower uses oil.
View Quote
...and the longer you go without changing, the more oil it'll use.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:22:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The Hondas are highly recommended if you have the money. Self propelled systems are durable as long you don't but the cheapest of cheap
View Quote
More like there's no product support for parts after a year or two, drive systems break, and it's cheaper to buy a new mower.

Bought a year old, mint $600 push mower one day at a garage sale for $75 from a couple in their 30's.... asked them why they were selling it.... they wanted one with electric start.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:22:58 PM EDT
[#44]
I change my riding  mowers oil and fuel filter every year.  It costs 20 bucks and fakes 15 minutes.  That no change shit is for women.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:23:39 PM EDT
[#45]
I have an 18-year-old Lawnboy runs great and cut great as long as the grass is not too tall and the self-propel works great. I just bought a used Toro this weekend and its a beast through the high grass but I am not used to the front wheel drive.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:28:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:29:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I wish they could start making them again. Mine is almost worn out from decades of use.
View Quote
One of my most prized possessions is my grandpas old lawnboy that's older than me.  It starts on the first second pull every time.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:29:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Forty years ago......
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:33:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Guarantee you it was Cleetus or Billy Joe from the refurbish shop said (while standing around like King of the Hill) "Hey, these motors burn so much oil you don't even need to change it." Then it went from a bug to a feature.
View Quote
Total loss oiling system
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:36:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Briggs and Stratton ain't what it used to be. Lots of made in China engines.

I replaced the briggs engines on my old Snappers with HF Predator engines when the briggs started smoking. One engine is about 7 years old now and the other is about 5. No problems out of them and they run great.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top