Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2018 2:54:20 AM EDT
My new creepy windowless house has a custom built gun room. I'll be finishing it myself. I'm soliciting suggestions for what to use to hang the guns on the walls. It's black fire resistant drywall walls. Should I use 1/4" pegboard mounted on standoff spacers for modularity, or what? Pics of examples would be cool. It's a serious question, but good old GD "It's a dickfer" type farcical humor will be tolerated and lulzed.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 3:00:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know what kind of budget you're thinking about, but I have a couple walls with gallow tech panels and like the products a lot.

http://www.gallowtech.com/
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 3:02:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
but good old GD "It's a dickfer" type farcical humor will be tolerated and lulzed.
View Quote
Since you asked....

I heard from stories on GD that dildos work great to mount your stuff?   I have to take GD’s word on this since I don’t care to verify it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 3:58:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't know what kind of budget you're thinking about, but I have a couple walls with gallow tech panels and like the products a lot.

View Quote
Those look cool, but I was thinking less secure; the room itself is just a step under a safe. It has a steel studded frame and an outward opening steel, exterior (1¾") thick, w/ deadbolt door and no windows. So I'm looking for ideas to hang long guns on the wall. Does anyone make peghooks specifically designed for rifles? That sort of thing.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 4:03:11 AM EDT
[#4]
If anyone gets into the room, all bets are off, practically. Any kind of locker or cabinet is much less of an impediment than just getting inside at all.

And now they're inside, out of sight. They'll have time.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 4:06:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 4:10:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Since you asked....

I heard from stories on GD that dildos work great to mount your stuff?   I have to take GD’s word on this since I don’t care to verify it.
View Quote
I could mold my own silicone. Off to order latex and castable silicone...
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 4:32:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Those look cool, but I was thinking less secure; the room itself is just a step under a safe. It has a steel studded frame and an outward opening steel, exterior (1¾") thick, w/ deadbolt door and no windows. So I'm looking for ideas to hang long guns on the wall. Does anyone make peghooks specifically designed for rifles? That sort of thing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think you looked at that website very closely.

Heres a more specific link.

http://www.gallowtech.com/products/wall-mount

They make panels and hooks and mounts and from your question, EXACTLY what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 4:45:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their locking cabinets are secure, but all their wall hanging panels aren’t at all.

I want to put the last one on the back of a couple bedroom doors, fucking legit.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 4:47:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since you asked....

Careful, you'll see a wall of dicks and spend every spare minute trying to climb it with your hands tied behind your back.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 4:48:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Wait.

You have a black, windowless room in your house?

Does it have a door that only locks from outside and a drain in the floor?
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 4:51:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Wait.

View Quote
Look at the OP's other post about his new house.  He likely has a lot of black windowless rooms in his house.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 5:39:07 AM EDT
[#12]
I used peg board in mine.   With hooks from the hardware store.   It works well.   Those hung on the wall, well, are guns that I won't shoot very often, and they are out of reach.   Just be careful as the metal hooks can scratch the wood stocks.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 11:26:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I don't think you looked at that website very closely.

Heres a more specific link.

http://www.gallowtech.com/products/wall-mount

They make panels and hooks and mounts and from your question, EXACTLY what you are looking for.
View Quote
You're right, I didn't Thats exactly it. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 11:28:58 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd probably just use metal pegboard, or those horizontal panel things
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 11:29:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Wait.

View Quote
No drain, but otherwise yes. It was intended as a secure gun room from go. It's black drywall, which is fire resistant, but the walls are painted off white just like regular drywall. It's only black when new. More like a dark charcoal gray.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 11:31:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Peg board is a wood product, no? You worried about combustible materls in this room?...
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 11:31:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Metal & modular. Cool...
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 11:33:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Look at the OP's other post about his new house.  He likely has a lot of black windowless rooms in his house.
View Quote
If you had to sleep as much when other people are running chainsaws, lawnmowers, motorcycles, and their chins in their outside voices as I do, you would value darkness and silence to a vastly greater degree than windows.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 11:35:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Peg board is a wood product, no? You worried about combustible materls in this room?...
View Quote
I can use a diammonium phosphate/sulfamic acid retardant on anything wood. Likely ignition sources would be external, anyway.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 11:37:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Howard Roark wouldn't care what other people thought of his odd architectural ideas, you know.
I'm just saying.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#21]
How about some military armory style rack/cabinets? They offer some security, and some visibility so you can admire your collection some.

They'd offer an extra couple minutes security after your alarm goes off so the boys in blue can hopefully make it in time.

If I was you I'd want to harden that room up some if you're not going to use some other form of security inside.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 11:54:52 AM EDT
[#22]
It's hardened. No windows, outward opening exterior steel door with steel studs in the doorframe, double deadbolt and non removable hingepins.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 11:56:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I can use a diammonium phosphate/sulfamic acid retardant on anything wood. Likely ignition sources would be external, anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wut? ...
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 12:00:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It's hardened. No windows, outward opening exterior steel door with steel studs in the doorframe, double deadbolt and non removable hingepins.
View Quote
Walls? You mention steel studs in the doorframe. I assume CMU block walls, fully steeled with rebar. If metal stud walls, what hardens them?
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 12:01:34 PM EDT
[#25]
I found a Blockbuster type video store going out of business and got about 20 4'X8' sheets of "Slantboard" .for free. I did the whole inside of my gun room and part of my garage with it. Ordered all the baskets and pegs from a online supply story and it turned out great
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 12:07:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Walls? You mention steel studs in the doorframe. I assume CMU block walls, fully steeled with rebar. If metal stud walls, what hardens them?
View Quote
Blackboard. They'll be distracted from their sawing through the walls with the Lab and the Dane chewing on their asses. It makes it harder to hold the saw correctly.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 12:12:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Wallcontrol
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 1:17:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Wut? ...
View Quote
I have a proprietary formula based on a solution of ammonium phosphate, dibasic, and a bit of ammonium hydroxide, titrated to neutral with sulfamic acid, and buffered with a wee dab of boric acid. I developed it twenty years ago when I worked for Chemco, from a Forest Service retardant. It's non toxic, odorless, paintable, and virtually invisible on wood. When treated surfaces are heated to ignition, they will not burn, but develop a thick layer of insulating char and will not sustain combustion after the ignition source is removed.

You can dip half a sheet of paper in it, let it dry, and it looks exactly the same except a bit of moisture effects, light it on fire and it burns right up to the dip line and then just....stops. Like you cut it with scissors.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 1:41:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Chemically, it converts the surface of cellulosic materials to the same compound that's in A B C extinguishers. Which is dibasic ammonium sulfate. Heat the surface and it turns into dry chemical extinguisher.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 7:38:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Howard Roark wouldn't care what other people thought of his odd architectural ideas, you know.
I'm just saying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm just saying.
Wasn't judging, just going with the odds after seeing the other thread.

What you do with your house is your business.

But now that you're saying that the room is gray, and you're going to hang guns on the walls, does it look anything like this?

Link Posted: 5/13/2018 7:40:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Grid wall is what you seek.  That's what I did in my vault and I've been very happy with it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:04:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Slat board panels,available at Lowes & Home Depot. You can get gun hooks/holders/racks for them.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:55:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Blackboard. They'll be distracted from their sawing through the walls with the Lab and the Dane chewing on their asses. It makes it harder to hold the saw correctly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

10-4...
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:58:19 PM EDT
[#34]
If you just inherited some money:

SecureIt wall kits
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 9:02:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Chemically, it converts the surface of cellulosic materials to the same compound that's in A B C extinguishers. Which is dibasic ammonium sulfate. Heat the surface and it turns into dry chemical extinguisher.
View Quote
Very very cool
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 9:10:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Take a look around here. The question is asked at least every month:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Safes-andamp-Home-Security/46/
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 9:13:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have a proprietary formula based on a solution of ammonium phosphate, dibasic, and a bit of ammonium hydroxide, titrated to neutral with sulfamic acid, and buffered with a wee dab of boric acid. I developed it twenty years ago when I worked for Chemco, from a Forest Service retardant. It's non toxic, odorless, paintable, and virtually invisible on wood. When treated surfaces are heated to ignition, they will not burn, but develop a thick layer of insulating char and will not sustain combustion after the ignition source is removed.

You can dip half a sheet of paper in it, let it dry, and it looks exactly the same except a bit of moisture effects, light it on fire and it burns right up to the dip line and then just....stops. Like you cut it with scissors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wut? ...

Right on, hope you earn income from that product. Regardless, the treated material reacts very similar to FR goods made from fabric from Westex. Salisbury used their fabrics in their FR clothing & still do as far as I know.

Overview video:
Westex Arc Flash Testing Overview

100% cotton:
Westex Arc Flash Simulation 100% Cotton Garment NFPA 70E

Westex 40cal suit:
Westex Ultrasoft 40 cal - HRC 4 - Arc Flash Suit on Ladder - Arc Flash 45.7 cal
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 9:16:08 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm with OP, screw giant-ass windows.

Link Posted: 5/13/2018 10:23:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuZIxjgwd98

BTW, I worked nights for a while and the thought of a windowless house seems like a good idea.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 10:30:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Have they installed the cell bars yet?

For some reason your house reminds me of the jail in "Support Your Local Sheriff".

Link Posted: 5/13/2018 10:33:40 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote
She's a brick.....house.

Congrats bro!

Can't even imagine my home burning down
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 11:30:16 PM EDT
[#42]
A good friend of mine is a dealer for Peglock and does hydro-dipping on the panels as well.

As far as the installation goes, I've never done a room with it but he says it's great stuff.

Feel free to PM or email me if you'd like his contact info.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 11:37:51 PM EDT
[#43]
If you're leaning towards pegboard, go with wallcontrol.com.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 1:03:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Great suggestions everyone. Hopefully two more weeks. I'll update as it goes.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 1:23:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Not a real gun room if the walls are gypsum
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 1:41:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Not a real gun room if the walls are gypsum
View Quote
But the sheetrock is on steel studs! ! !

Link Posted: 5/14/2018 1:43:07 AM EDT
[#47]
I vote something like this:
Attachment Attached File

http://www.garage-organization.com/Product/Gladiator-GAWP042PBY.aspx?f=gb&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsZ2Mu76E2wIVAZ6fCh052Qn0EAQYASABEgJGPPD_BwE

I have a friend that used something like these in his garage to hang stuff on, but he only did the middle of the walls and painted the inside lines dark grey and then had the face of the panels a light grey to match the rest of his walls. It looked pretty slick. I think they look a lot better than pegboard.

ETA: If you use these top to bottom, it looks too much like a pawn shop. This was more the manner in which my friend hung his:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 2:52:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

But the sheetrock is on steel studs! ! !

View Quote
It's fireboard, not gypsum drywall. it's more like concrete.

The door is what has the steel studs, and it opens out from the room, like a commercial door. Auxiliary security is provided by a Dane and a hyperLab.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 1:06:06 AM EDT
[#49]
15 days. I am taking bets with myself on the odds of an emergency lease extension at the last minute. My favorite quote from my teleconference:

"Is it going to be ready in two weeks?"
"Oh Sure, no problem. The painters should be done today. At least ready enough you can move, and stuff."
Let me just call time out here. The fuck is your precise definition of "ready enough to move"? Because that's kind of important.

The facking painters started ten days ago. But you are claiming you can do the floors, the countertops, all the plumbing fixtures, the appliances, the HVAC, in the next 14?

I'm going to be camped out like a squatter in Detroit...
I'm calling geico tomorrow. We have to do another month. I can't function in a campout situation. I work 60 hours a week and shit. Contractors can't come and be all up in my shit while I'm not home or trying to sleep. That's absolutely out of the question. The dogs will eat them, if nothing else.
Top Top