Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/2/2018 7:01:55 PM EDT
So I just replaced another one of those retarded fucking curlycue fluorescent lightbulbs.  It has become an all too fucking common thing, remember how the envirotards kept insisting the stupid fucking things would last “at least” 4-5 years?  Bull fucking shit, maybe if you never fucking use them.  I have yet to get one of the retarded fuckers to last more than 6 months, and they usually don’t even make it that long.  I never had this problem with the old fashioned incandescent bulbs, and if they did burn out, who gives a shit?  They cost like 50 cents, if that.  LED bulbs work pretty well, but they are expensive and I resent paying for them.

Does anyone still sell the old fashioned incandescent bulbs?  Fuck the fucking envirowacko pieces of fucking shit.

And before anyone says it, yes the new bulbs are cheaper to run, but actual room lights are a minimum part of the electric bill, balance that against the higher cost of the stupid fucking politically correct light bulbs, the higher replacement rate, and the fucking aggravation of having to continually change the fuckers, I would rather just run the incandescents.  That it sticks a thumb in the eye of the enviro whackos is a bonus.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:04:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Just buy a $2 Cree or Phillips LED A LAMP.

Quality control on new incandescents is absolutely awful.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:04:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy CREE or Phillips LED and never look back.  Incandescent bulbs suck ass.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:07:04 PM EDT
[#3]
If you have CFL bulbs burning out in 6 months, something is fucky.

My initial thoughts are you have them somewhere where they are turned on an off often. If so, that could be the culprit, and you might be better off just leaving them on. Even then, 6 months this is odd.

We lived in our last house for 30 months, not one CFL I installed when we moved in - bedrooms, living room, high “on and off” areas - burned out while we were there.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:12:50 PM EDT
[#4]
LEds are cheaper long-term.

Especially in vehicles, as yo should never have to replace solid state electronics. Theoretically anyway. The stuff that fails is outside the bulb.

Incans consume 10 or 20 times as much mAh. Especially these high-powered xenon lights.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:12:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Got to Lowe's and find the no name brand LED bulb bulk packs. You can usually get 8-10 bulbs for $10-$15 bucks. That was the first thing we did when we moved into the house. We still have 3 bulbs that are incandescent but everything else is LED.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:15:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My initial thoughts are you have them somewhere where they are turned on an off often. If so, that could be the culprit, and you might be better off just leaving them on. Even then, 6 months this is odd.

We lived in our last house for 30 months, not one CFL I installed when we moved in - bedrooms, living room, high “on and off” areas - burned out while we were there.
View Quote
In my last house one of the incandescent bulbs in one of the light fixtures, which came with the house (who knows how old it was), lasted for a couple of years, then it finally burned out.  Unfortunately the lightbulb ban had struck by then so I had to replace it with a stupid curleycue bulb; it burned out again in about 2 weeks.  I replaced it again, another 2 weeks, and so on, eventually I just had to stop using that light because I got tired of constantly replacing the bulb.  The incandescent worked fine, but the CFLs were all complete shit.  Most other (CFL) bulbs in that house lasted 2-3 months, the original incandescents almost never burned out, eventually I started canabalising them from other areas of the house.

In this house, they last about 6 months.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:19:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I’m with you OP.

Yeah yeah yeah, LEDs blah blah blah.  Whatever.
What pisses me off is that I no longer have the CHOICE to use 100w incandescents if I WANT to.
Halogen equivalents are available, but those are still 2x the cost of what polar ice cap melting/rainforest destroying/baby seal clubbing incandescents used to run.

‘Cheaper in the long run’...IDGAF.  That’s not the point.
I don’t WANT to buy LEDs, but I no longer have that choice... now do I?
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:20:09 PM EDT
[#8]
OP,  on the CFLs that burn out, is there more than one on the same fixture or circuit?
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't screw the lightbulbs in as tight as they get. It fucks with that little square contact in the bottom of the sockets.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:21:20 PM EDT
[#10]
LEDs you cheapo
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:23:09 PM EDT
[#11]
You can get LEDs for a buck a pop all over Michigan... Costco, Lowe's, HD.  The power savings is not negligible, especially when you consider AC in the summer.  Double whammy.

They are superior to CFLs in every possible way.  Do not let the bullshit CFLs put you off from buying LEDs, as that would be a big mistake.  LEDs are awesome.

You do want to make sure you are getting the right color temp.  And ones that are dimmable where needed.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:24:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I’m with you OP.

What pisses me off is that I no longer have the CHOICE to use 100w incandescents if I WANT to.
Halogen equivalents are available, but those are still 2x the cost of what polar ice cap melting/rainforest destroying/baby seal clubbing incandescents used to run.

View Quote
They still make them. We get ours at the dollar tree type stores. Right next to the no name brake fluid.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:25:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thank you. anyone retarded enough to actually want incandescent bulbs can suck up the stupid tax at 10X the electricity cost.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:25:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:26:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought a bunch before the ban.

Buy cheap, stack deep.

Wonder if there is a market in selling them?
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:26:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Big Lots stores in this area still carry regular incandescent bulbs.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:26:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Wal-mart. Check the bottom most shelves, in almost unlabeled boxes.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:27:58 PM EDT
[#18]
LED bulbs are expensive? They are like 1.88 or 2.88 at wal mart, can't remember which ones.

That's not expensive, also they last longer and are more efficient.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:28:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Put on your big girl panties and buy LED bulbs as replacements. They cost more but last YEARS.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:28:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thank you. anyone retarded enough to actually want incandescent bulbs can suck up the stupid tax at 10X the electricity cost.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.
The curly compact fluorescents were a shitty midterm option but LED are better in damned near every application.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:29:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I’m with you OP.

View Quote
Troll post?
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:29:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Dolla tree, 2 for a dolla
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:30:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Drop light blubs ftw.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:30:55 PM EDT
[#24]
I clicked on this thread and time-warped back to 2006?
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:32:06 PM EDT
[#25]
"But muh filamentz"
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:32:12 PM EDT
[#26]
I just got a 4-pack of "100W equivalent" LED bulbs, daylight color, for my exterior lights. It's so much better than the CFLs that I replaced- brighter and better color. And the CFLs used 18-23 watts, these LED bulbs are 13W each.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:32:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Did you hire someone to replace the bulb or did you have to find a manual to read and overthink it for 2-3 weeks before hiring someone to do it?
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:33:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Why the fuck would you not want LEDs?   They are awesome.

CFLs have always sucked, dont let that cloud your opinion of LEDs
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:36:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Now if someone would just make an economical LED replacement for 1000 W metal halide high bay lights with 480 V drivers rated to 528 V
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:37:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Does anyone know where I can find a local telegraph office?

Yeah, yeah. Emails, faxes, phones, and all that liberal hogwash. I'm just mad I don't have the CHOICE to use dead technology.

Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:41:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't think that's that uncommon. Had multiple brands of CFLs burning out within 6 months. Sure some in the pack would last for the estimated lifespan but most didn't. CFLs were a rushed stopgap measure to banning incanesents. LEDs are the true successor and would have won out over time even if incandescents weren't banned.

OP just give LEDs a try. I have some of the older ones (back when the price was higher) and they're still going strong years later. Whole house is LED at this point. You also have a choice of color temp now and various wattages and dimmable bulbs.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:42:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Surf Craigslist ... likely you find someone who just replaced all theirs and will just give away the incandescent ones

I wish I had OPs problems ... Look Here

I've got some Tier 1 infiltrator in my Tay Tay Tuesday thread trying to bully me around

I gotta go ...
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:46:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yeah, yeah. Emails, faxes, phones, and all that liberal hogwash. I'm just mad I don't have the CHOICE to use dead technology.

View Quote
That technology was killed by the market, not the law, there is a difference.  We have literally come to the point where the government is so bloated and intrusive that they can dictate what kind of lightbulbs you are permitted to use in your own fucking home.  You don’t see a problem with that?  The government, and the envirowhackos who run it, have no fucking right to tell me what kind of lightbulbs to use.  They don’t want me to use incandescents?  Fuck them I want to use incandescents just as a fuck you to them and their fucking communist agenda.  Also, as I said, CFLs blow ass and last no where near as long as incandescents yet cost more, and LEDs cost much more and for a light which is not on all the time I just do not see the cost savings.

If I had the choice I probably would just buy LEDs and just eat the cost and be done with it, but they want to deny me the choice, so that makes me want incandescents even more, because fuck them.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:47:16 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm 100% led accept for some decorative crap. I had problems with the Home Depot lines so went to Phillips, two years with zero issues so far. Dimmable's aren't as dimmable as the old incand's though.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:53:16 PM EDT
[#35]
I only replaced CF bulbs because I was upgrading to LEDs.

I have yet to replace an LED.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:55:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Several online lightbulb stores still sell regular incandescents. I just checked bulbs.com and they have a fair variety.

That said OP, while I shared your opinion of LEDs five years ago they have come a long way in the past few years. One year ago I replaced the most used bulbs (about 15) in my house with LEDs and it resulted in an immediate savings of about $20 per month on my electric bill. I used the highest wattage/ highest lumen LED bulbs that would work. They lie about bulb equivalencies-- the LED (or fluorescent) bulbs they say are equal to a 60 or 75 watt incandescent bulb will produce nowhere near the same light output. Roughly speaking a 100w equivalent LED makes about the same light as a good 60 watt incandescent, but it is still only using 8 or 10 watts.

I have the same issue with curlicue fluorescents. They almost never last more than six months however I use them.

And I am 100% with you on government regulating everything. Most people would be shocked ( I Hope) on how much in their home is regulated. Amount of water flow in the shower, how much water the toilet uses, how much water washing machine and dishwasher use, allowable temperature for washing machines and dishwashers, allowable soap you can use, and on and on and on.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:58:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Snicker!
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 8:02:18 PM EDT
[#38]
I have enough incandescent bulbs to last the rest of my life. I bought them cheap and stockpiled them. Guess what? I don't use them anymore. I have a small desk light in my office that I used to replace the incandescent bulb every 5 months. I bought a few LED bulbs on sale and the LED bulb has been that same little lamp for over a year.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 8:04:11 PM EDT
[#39]
LED is the shit to git and the bonus is they work great in the garage...way better than the old floro crap in the cold. And there's no lack of that these days.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 8:05:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Philips Hue

Screw conventional lighting.  Get Internet connected LED's.

All of my lights, save one, turn off automagically when I leave the house, and a select few turn back on when I come home.  My bedside lamp turns on it's dimmest setting and gradually gets brighter about the time I need to wake up in the morning, and my kitchen light is already on.

What's even cooler than that, I tell my phone, "Hey Siri, set the lights for watching a movie," and the lighting in my living room get set appropriately.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 8:06:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not so fast. Bad things can happen if those LED's are placed in an inclosed fixture.

For most lamps LED's should be fine, but if you have a small inclosed fixture you're gonna want an incandescent.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 8:07:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Back when the evil incandescents were banned, a couple companies found a loophole which allowed them to still be manufactured and sold. The result...

Rough Service Bulbs

Basically, they are identical to traditional bulbs but have added protection to resist damage to the internals. The link above will give you much more info than I can recall.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 8:08:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Hey man I got just what ya need. How many REAL lightbulbs ya want and what watt do ya need?
Just keep it on the downlow mang because the man don't like REAL lightbulbs. Are you the fuzz?
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 8:08:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I’m with you OP.

View Quote
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 8:13:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
So I just replaced another one of those retarded fucking curlycue fluorescent lightbulbs.  It has become an all too fucking common thing, remember how the envirotards kept insisting the stupid fucking things would last “at least” 4-5 years?  Bull fucking shit, maybe if you never fucking use them.  I have yet to get one of the retarded fuckers to last more than 6 months, and they usually don’t even make it that long.  I never had this problem with the old fashioned incandescent bulbs, and if they did burn out, who gives a shit?  They cost like 50 cents, if that.  LED bulbs work pretty well, but they are expensive and I resent paying for them.

Does anyone still sell the old fashioned incandescent bulbs?  Fuck the fucking envirowacko pieces of fucking shit.

And before anyone says it, yes the new bulbs are cheaper to run, but actual room lights are a minimum part of the electric bill, balance that against the higher cost of the stupid fucking politically correct light bulbs, the higher replacement rate, and the fucking aggravation of having to continually change the fuckers, I would rather just run the incandescents.  That it sticks a thumb in the eye of the enviro whackos is a bonus.
View Quote
I get mine from the local Dollar Tree stores.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 8:15:50 PM EDT
[#46]
My how times change. I was almost run out of GD when I recommended LED bulbs a few years ago
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 8:18:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Go to Lowes and look on the bottom of the third or so bay of bulbs.

They still make incandescent rough service 100w, 150w and 200w. Plus 60 watt incandescent garage door opener bulbs that are exempt due to the vibrations they need to withstand.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 8:23:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I get mine from the local Dollar Tree stores.
View Quote
Hey that's enough of that you're cutting into my business
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 8:23:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
If I had the choice I probably would just buy LEDs and just eat the cost and be done with it, but they want to deny me the choice, so that makes me want incandescents even more, because fuck them.
View Quote
You could pretend...

Link Posted: 1/2/2018 8:25:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have nothing but incandescents in my house because fuck enviros and the nanny state. My highest 2016 SUMMERTIME electric bill in FUCKING PHOENIX was only ~$180 (1400 sqft single level)!

Enjoy your shackles!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top