Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/20/2017 2:14:57 PM EDT
This thread isn't about the current speculative wave hitting some of these cryptocurrencies, like bitcoin, or whether their current valuation is a financial bubble or not.

No, here I'm interested in people's thoughts about what happens if one day cryptocurrencies move into the mainstream for banking and financial transactions.

There are powerful interest that would like to make sure that never happens.    Not the least of which are governments.   So, what happens?  What do governments do?  If this is a chess game what's the 'end move', how is it played?

Your thoughts on this subject are appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 2:16:06 PM EDT
[#1]
The day that happens, man will truly be free.

Big govts don't like that, so don't expect it to happen without things getting bloody.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 2:16:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Fedcoin and outlaw all of the rest of them. 90% of people are too retarded to figure out how to store them on thumb drives, etc. so it'll be relatively easy to just legislate exchange sites out of existence.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 2:18:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 2:18:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a lot of canned goods. I will trade some for a night with a hungry man's wife.  And when I am done with her, I use my guns to take back my canned goods. Then I ride off on my motorcycle wearing a purple Mohawk and football pads with spikes through them. Eventually I will be put down by a man with a need for justice in a lawless world.

The Apocalypse will be my time to shine.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 2:20:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Freedom for humanity is the most important thing.  It's our chance to break from the existing paradigm.

BTW, Andy Hoffman, late of Miles-Franklin precioius metals dealer in Denver, recently dumped all his silver to go pure digital.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 2:21:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Big govts don't like that, so don't expect it to happen without things getting bloody.
View Quote
yep.

Governments will never let that happen.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 2:21:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Seriously, what's to stop the government from intervening?
Sure, they can't control the markets, but they could regulate the access points (i.e. where USD is converted to BTC).

Like any wild beast that you cannot tame... you encircle it, cage it in.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 2:22:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a lot of canned goods. I will trade some for a night with a hungry man's wife.  And when I am done with her, I use my guns to take back my canned goods. Then I ride off on my motorcycle wearing a purple Mohawk and football pads with spikes through them. Eventually I will be put down by a man with a need for justice in a lawless world.

View Quote
Sometimes currency isn't just paper money. Spot on.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 2:22:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Freedom for humanity is the most important thing.  It's our chance to break from the existing paradigm.

BTW, Andy Hoffman, late of Miles-Franklin precioius metals dealer in Denver, recently dumped all his silver to go pure digital.
View Quote
No shit?  Maybe I want to put more into crypto...
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 2:22:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
This true freedom
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 2:25:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Wars. Wars are what happens when a government believes they are losing control of their money.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 2:26:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Don't forget the feather boa and lots of purple eyeshadow. Post-apocalyptic feathers and leathers.

Link Posted: 12/20/2017 2:26:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Fedcoin and outlaw all of the rest of them. 90% of people are too retarded to figure out how to store them on thumb drives, etc. so it'll be relatively easy to just legislate exchange sites out of existence.
View Quote
They can try to outlaw them but other places will recognize them.  For instant, Australia and Japan both recognize Bitcoin.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 2:27:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Never happen. If its one thing the government is about, it is control.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 2:33:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This thread isn't about the current speculative wave hitting some of these cryptocurrencies, like bitcoin, or whether their current valuation is a financial bubble or not.

No, here I'm interested in people's thoughts about what happens if one day cryptocurrencies move into the mainstream for banking and financial transactions.

There are powerful interest that would like to make sure that never happens.    Not the least of which are governments.   So, what happens?  What do governments do?  If this is a chess game what's the 'end move', how is it played?

View Quote
Much like gold and silver, the government will acquire it however it can and distribute it by force. If government were not in control of printing money, then we would see anarchy IMO. Robbery and theft would run rampant. Much of the civil society we live in today runs on the belief that the government guarantees and backs a single universal currency.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 2:34:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Could we get something like Executive Order 6102?

They'll just outlaw private ownership and force everyone to exchange their cryptocurrency for dollars, or perhaps a new official cryptocurrency, Fedcoin?

Then if you're unfortunate enough to be caught owning cryptocurrency they make an example of you, to scare the public.  It wouldn't take much, just a few well publicized cases.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 2:35:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Keep in mind something.  If I sell my crypto and get cash, I will be responsible for capital gains. If I can
buy something with a crypto coin, I don't.  This is where this is going.  Business is going to start accepting
bitcoin for payment and that is going to fuel this thing.  I was at a business meeting this morning and one of
the guys brought a large window sign.  We accept Bitcoin.  That's what we are going to see in the future.
The Guberment ain't going to like it but fuck them.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 2:41:56 PM EDT
[#18]
The moment their is any talk from gov officials/politicians about the need to eradicate crypto it will plummet and become worthless.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 2:43:16 PM EDT
[#19]
It's happening now.  Slowly but surely.   Starting to trend on social media and mainstream.

It is the wild west right now so get your groove on before the regulations and restrictions become a reality.

Places that already accept Bitcoin today:
4chan
Steam
Microsoft
Overstock.com
Virgin Galactic
Lionsgate Films
Tesla
Square
Subway
Whole Foods
Shopify
New Egg
RE/Max

And the list grows.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 2:43:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

They'll just outlaw private ownership and force everyone to exchange their cryptocurrency for dollars, or perhaps a new official cryptocurrency, Fedcoin?

Then if you're unfortunate enough to be caught owning cryptocurrency they make an example of you, to scare the public.  It wouldn't take much, just a few well publicized cases.
View Quote
Seems to work for NFA firearms. Hell there are a bunch of people on Arf that are ATF wannabes. I'm sure a significant enough portion of the public would toe the line to rat out their neighbor.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 2:44:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The moment their is any talk from gov officials/politicians about the need to eradicate crypto it will plummet and become worthless.
View Quote
Or it will be outside of their control and it will be a revolution of wealth transfer.  They best squash it soon and get on the same page to do so the globe over.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 2:45:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Interesting thought.

The government already doesn't have control of vast segments of the underground economy. Losing more would cause them to lose more power and they'll not let that happen quietly.

Private money that can't be traced on a massive scale that can be securely traded across the Internet ... there have to be government plans to reel that shit in.
View Quote
@Paul
I don't see how governments can allow it.   Right now, it's fine.  It's not a very big piece of the market.  But it's growing.

They'll just keep running stories demonizing it.   Getting the public to believe it's dirty money, used by terrorist, neo-nazies, drug dealers, and organized crime.   But while that isn't working it will provide them the excuse for their next move   ....should (or when?) a next move become necessary.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 2:47:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Wars. Wars are what happens when a government believes they are losing control of their money.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
This.

Quoted:
That.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 2:53:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Gov's love all this crypto stuff. Who do you think invented it back in the 70's? Sure it can be relatively anonymous if you do it right but 90% of people don't do it that way. So it's very good for data aggregation.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 2:55:39 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm speculating that the "fedcoin" or whatever it will be called will be the authorized coinage of the US banking system and you won't be able to go into it without registering your current coinage (like a market equalizer with centralized control that allows conversion of outside market coinage)
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 2:57:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Ever heard of Liberty Dollars?  It was a private currency consisting of physical coins and certificates backed by warehoused precious metals.  Key word is was.  Feds dropped the hammer on them in 07'-09', seized all the gold and silver and convicted the owner of counterfeiting - although the whole point of Liberty Dollars was that they were a privately operated alternative to the federal fiat currency system (which the owner and 250,000 users considered unconstitutional and doomed) and none of their users ever mistook them for US currency.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_dollar_(private_currency)

If cryptocurrencies threaten the system the system will dick them hard.  If the system finds a way to benefit from them, like Venezuela is trying to do in their desperation but on a much larger scale, then maybe cryptocurrencies will be let alone or promoted.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 3:00:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Good things happen.  Free market things happen.  Things that aren't possible when fiat currency is manipulated by a central bank.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 3:01:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Ever heard of Liberty Dollars?  It was a private currency consisting of physical coins and certificates backed by warehoused precious metals.  Key word is was.  Feds dropped the hammer on them in 07'-09', seized all the gold and silver and convicted the owner of counterfeiting - although the whole point of Liberty Dollars was that they were a privately operated alternative to the federal fiat currency system (which the owner and 250,000 users considered unconstitutional and doomed) and none of their users ever mistook them for US currency.

If cryptocurrencies threaten the system the system will dick them hard.  If the system finds a way to benefit from them, like Venezuela is trying to do in their desperation but on a much larger scale, then maybe cryptocurrencies will be let alone or promoted.
View Quote
I have a whole bunch of those and at one time was a licensed dealer
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 3:14:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
One trend I've noticed over the last 30 or so years, is the decline of blind faith in the government.   When I was young, the default assumption seemed to be that people arrested by government were all dirty criminals, if the government made something illegal, it must be 'evil' or 'bad'.   The law was our morality, and the government our god.   If you violated the law, or transgressed against government, you must be an 'evil' person.    But, legal isn't the same as moral.   We don't have a justice system, we have a legal system.

While most people still act they believe in a justice system, and that laws are the moral good, I get the impression that more and more people are waking up, and realizing that 'government' isn't really all good.   Often it does things just to preserve it's own power and control, and to protect the interests of the wealthy that support it.

Government and the central banks can't lose control of money.   If or when cryptocurrency starts to go mainstream they will move against it.   Allowing it to become mainstream would bring down the government and central banking game.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 3:14:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Shocking news: The United States government delegated the power to create money to a privately owned organization more than a century ago.

It "lost control" of the money at that time.

It will never regain that control.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 3:23:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Seriously, what's to stop the government from intervening?
Sure, they can't control the markets, but they could regulate the access points (i.e. where USD is converted to BTC).

Like any wild beast that you cannot tame... you encircle it, cage it in.
View Quote
No, they can't.  You can meet up with someone at a park, they can give you cash, and you can transfer crypto to them.  So long as you have internet access you have a means to send and receive crypto.  As a matter of fact, you can even print paper wallets and exchange crypto with no electronics whatsoever.  You do not have to use an exchange.

I can send .5 bitcoin to a new wallet, and print it out as a paper wallet.  I can give that piece of paper to whoever I am trading with, and they now control that .5 worth of bitcoin.  They can then take that paper and send those coins to their own wallet or do whatever they want with it.

The exchanges are just the most legitimate and convenient way of purchasing/selling crypto.  It can certainly be bought and sold face to face outside of the exchanges.  That's actually the entire point of crypto currency, it can be bought and sold without fear of any government intervention or manipulation.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 3:24:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Then you just buy a place overseas and Mohave your stuff there and continue business.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 3:24:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

They can try to outlaw them but other places will recognize them.  For instant, Australia and Japan both recognize Bitcoin.
View Quote
I don't think any industrialized nation, running a debt scheme, with a central bank, will allow cryptocurrencies to take over.   Australia, Japan, and any other country that currently recognizes bitcoin as a legitimate currency, would reverse course quickly, if it started making their borrowing and spending scheme, harder.

In fact, it will probably ultimately be some international treaty that kills it.

I guess my point is, while the investment risk might be high, it's not the greatest risk to cryptocurrency 'investing'.  Regulatory risk is the greater risk.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 3:38:55 PM EDT
[#34]
They can always ratchet up the anti money laundering laws.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 3:41:04 PM EDT
[#35]
China has tried.

Isn't exactly working.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 3:52:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
China has tried.

Isn't exactly working.
View Quote
Interesting early test.

Forbes article on China's attempt to ban bitcoin.

But you know governments have top men working on this problem.  

Here's an interesting thought.  China's move, might in part, be driving current prices.  China bans it, and the price goes through the roof, because people don't trust their governments.   So they're buying stores of value, outside of their governments control.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 4:02:57 PM EDT
[#37]
I am more concerned what happens when the world abandons the US dollar as the standard for world currency value. https://www.thebalance.com/world-currency-3305931

Most Americans retirement and investments is in US Dollars quantity of stocks.

What will happen if / when the rest of the world goes to a standard crypto value?

What will happen when the US can’t just print more dollars to prop up the economy?

If you had 100k of stock and the US dolllar is no longer the worlds currency how much stock will you really own?

Answers are way beyond my sphere of thinking anything other than Oh, shit!
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 4:05:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I am more concerned what happens when the world abandons the US dollar as the standard for world currency value. https://www.thebalance.com/world-currency-3305931

What will happen if / when the rest of the world goes to a standard crypto value?

What will happen when the US can’t just print more dollars to prop up the economy?

If you had 100k of stock and the US dolllar is no longer the worlds currency how much stock will you really own?

View Quote
This is really why you should diversify your wealth into multiple facets...Be it USD, gold, real estate, guns, Bitcoin...
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 4:11:27 PM EDT
[#39]
OP is asking scary questions.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 4:11:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Interesting early test.

Here's an interesting thought.  China's move, might in part, be driving current prices.  China bans it, and the price goes through the roof, because people don't trust their governments.   So they're buying stores of value, outside of their governments control.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
China has tried.

Isn't exactly working.
Interesting early test.

Initially the prices tanked due to the previously high Chinese volume being absent from the markets. Everyone was uncertain what it would mean without them in the market, but everything just shrugged it off and carried on.

One interesting angle is governments getting caught out in the cold years later following bans, etc. At this point they almost have to hedge to some degree as purely a long shot contingency. This is especially important as it concerns government supported mining operations.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 4:13:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's beautiful, man!
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 4:15:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Equity is still equity.   It's worth what other people are will to pay you for it.   Debt securities, like bills, notes, and bonds, are another matter.

A move into cryptocurrency would be incredibly disruptive.   Especially for all the unfunded liabilities, like social security, medicare payments, government pensions, and entitlements.  ...for those it would be a huge problem.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 4:16:19 PM EDT
[#43]
our gov can ban bitcoin and other cryptos with the stroke of a pen. Will it completely eliminate it? no.

But it will make it MUCH less desirable of a currency if you no major retailer is able to accept it and if US based exchanges are shut down.

IMO enjoy the fun while you can as there is likely some profit to be made still but for those that invested early its probably a good idea to sell a little here and take some profits off the top to make sure you arent left holding a worthless digital currency.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 4:17:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

What will happen when the US can't just print more dollars to prop up the economy?

View Quote
Stocks represent an asset with value.  They will still have value even if the dollar heavily inflates or cryptos take over.  Cryptos aren't taking over anytime soon though.  None of them can handle the daily volume required to be the worlds prime currency.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 4:18:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
if it was a  relatively clean transition to bitcoin (and not a catastrophic event) those stocks as part ownership still hold value. just instead of thinking about how you have 100k in apple stock, you have 5.7BTC in apple stock.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 4:25:05 PM EDT
[#46]
The US losing the dollar as the main currency of exchange would be catastrophic to say the least. Digital currency backed by Asian governments might seal it's fate.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 4:28:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The US losing the dollar as the main currency of exchange would be catastrophic to say the least. Digital currency backed by Asian governments might seal it's fate.
View Quote
Chinese already run Bitcoin town.  You'd think they'd be all for it rather than banning it.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 4:33:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Chinese already run Bitcoin town.  You'd think they'd be all for it rather than banning it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unless the US goes to war with cryptos today its almost inevitable.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 4:34:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
No, they can't.  You can meet up with someone at a park, they can give you cash, and you can transfer crypto to them.  So long as you have internet access you have a means to send and receive crypto.  As a matter of fact, you can even print paper wallets and exchange crypto with no electronics whatsoever.  You do not have to use an exchange.

I can send .5 bitcoin to a new wallet, and print it out as a paper wallet.  I can give that piece of paper to whoever I am trading with, and they now control that .5 worth of bitcoin.  They can then take that paper and send those coins to their own wallet or do whatever they want with it.

The exchanges are just the most legitimate and convenient way of purchasing/selling crypto.  It can certainly be bought and sold face to face outside of the exchanges.  That's actually the entire point of crypto currency, it can be bought and sold without fear of any government intervention or manipulation.
View Quote
You will be able to point and say yep our society is truly lost if it ever becomes common for police to do undercover sting operations to bust people selling "unregulated crypto currencies," the same way they do for drug dealing now. The sad thing is that I wouldn't find that far fetched, I've heard of police in some places doing undercover sting operations to ticket people for doing Uber against local ordinances.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 4:36:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nothing, gov will just invest into the crypto to maintain a dominating trade stance and diversify its portfolio.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top