Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/11/2017 1:18:37 PM EDT
"President Donald Trump on Monday will sign a directive aimed at sending Americans back to the moon and eventually to Mars, the White House said. Trump will sign “Space Policy Directive 1” that orders NASA “to lead an innovative space exploration program to send American astronauts back to the Moon, and eventually Mars,” spokesman Hogan Gidley said.

Gidley said Trump’s move is based on recommendations from the National Space Council.

“He will change our nation’s human spaceflight policy to help America become the driving force for the space industry, gain new knowledge from the cosmos, and spur incredible technology,” Gidley said in a statement."
https://www.reuters.com

ETA: Still not tired of winning
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 1:21:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I hope the US claims Mars
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 1:22:17 PM EDT
[#2]
About time.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 1:22:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 1:23:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I'd settle for a permanent Moon base first.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 1:23:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I am all for this. Funding for NASA was cut severely under the Kenyan. Space be important yo.

MAGA
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 1:24:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Clearly, The Man.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 1:26:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
+ the moon.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 1:28:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I hope that Trump does bring us back into space, but this order doesn’t really do anything by itself. He’s setting the right goal, but he needs to coordinate with NASA about what programs they actually need resources for in order to accomplish that and to secure Congress’ support.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 1:41:17 PM EDT
[#9]
So enlighten me as to what we are cutting in order to make this economically feasible? Adding more to the national debt in order to skip around on the moon is not what we need right now.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 1:42:20 PM EDT
[#10]
And then when the next democrat is elected they will shut down everything due to "cost" and nasa will be back to researching global warming.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 1:43:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Hopefully this plan follows the Commercial crew/cargo model rather than SLS.

Send out a bid for "Commercial Moon" and let SpaceX, Blue Origin, and ULA bid for it.

If it uses SLS this plan is already DOA.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 1:45:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So enlighten me as to what we are cutting in order to make this economically feasible? Adding more to the national debt in order to skip around on the moon is not what we need right now.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 1:45:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Is NASA even a good choice to give money to? It's wasteful and inefficient. Open up competition and stand back.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 1:48:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
You could probably cut SLS & Orion, and send out a "commercial moon" program without changing the budget at all.

We spend $4 billion a year on SLS + Orion, the rocket to nowhere.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 1:49:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 1:50:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Deport ALL Martians!  They have to go back.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 1:52:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hopefully this plan follows the Commercial crew/cargo model rather than SLS.

Send out a bid for "Commercial Moon" and let SpaceX, Blue Origin, and ULA bid for it.

If it uses SLS this plan is already DOA.
View Quote
Agree, throwing more money at SLS is a waste.

I don't think manned exploration should be our priority in space at this time either.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 1:55:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Moon first. Permanant base on Moon to facilitate Asteroid belt mining and processing of minerals then Mars.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:01:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
the moon is a much much more hazardous environment for humans than mars

absolutely no atmosphere
everything has to be a pressure vessel
extreme low gravity
radiation
temperature differentials
micro meteor hazards
regolith sticks to everything and is carcinogenic

just to name a few

a moon base would need to be under ground with minimal activity on the surface
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:03:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I am all for this. Funding for NASA was cut severely under the Kenyan. Space be important yo.

MAGA
View Quote
Actually it increased under Obummer $wise, holding steady %wise despite federal dollars being redirected elsewhere.

W shouted for Mars too while killing the STS replacement program.

Let's see if Trumps shouting is backed by actual funding. I doubt it. Congress doesn't give two shits about the NASA goal. They only care about $ spent in their district.

I don't really care about the moon.

I want to see NASA proiritize and achieve over the next 15 years:

1. Dusty Plasma Fission Fragment Propulsion
2. Nuclear gas core reactors to power VASIMR
3. Manned missions to asteroids and Mars (Requires #2)
4. Asteroid/Comet Redirect Mission (Requires #1/#2)
5. Launch landers for Europa, Callisto, Titan, and Enceladus (requires #1)

If NASA funded those missions while using private sector launch systems to get them out of atmo, that would be the optimal way to go. I'd support 2% of the federal budget for that instead of the 0.5% NASA has been getting.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:07:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Is it too soon to complain about Liberals screaming that we will cause "Climate Change" on the Moon and Mars?
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:08:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Is it too soon to complain about Liberals screaming that we will cause "Climate Change" on the Moon and Mars?
View Quote
Those places could use some climate change.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:10:10 PM EDT
[#23]
He should immediately declare his intention to immortalize Hilary Clinton by making her the first woman on Mars.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:15:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
He should immediately declare his intention to immortalize Hilary Clinton by making her the first woman on Mars.
View Quote
Your avatar is fitting.

Sometimes I picture GD posters sitting hunched over their computer in mom's basement with a bud light an two sticky notes on their aging CRT monitor. One reads "FBHO," the other reads "FHRC."

A thread about going back to space and the replies we get are, "the Kenyan was a bad bad man" and "what if instead of locking her up, we shot her into space?"
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:18:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Praise Kek, heavy judger of evil cucks.

I must go groom this MAGA boner some before it is the death of me.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:19:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You could probably cut SLS & Orion, and send out a "commercial moon" program without changing the budget at all.

We spend $4 billion a year on SLS + Orion, the rocket to nowhere.
View Quote
THIS

I grew up around the STS. I remember when I was anti-SpaceX and anti-Blue Origin and was pissed about Orion/SLS .gov cheese not being a real priority after each STS-follow-on was cut by each admin.

I was WRONG.

Lift systems should (now) be private sector.

Deep space should be .gov (for now)

We have seen where .gov investment helps society is payoff of long term advanced R&D... both in terms of tech trickle down and market creation. The result of .gov lift systems in the past is that there is now a market for lift systems! Imagine what the market will be for deep space if we actually get out there?
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:23:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Actually it increased under Obummer $wise, holding steady %wise despite federal dollars being redirected elsewhere.

W shouted for Mars too while killing the STS replacement program.

Let's see if Trumps shouting is backed by actual funding. I doubt it. Congress doesn't give two shits about the NASA goal. They only care about $ spent in their district.

I don't really care about the moon.

I want to see NASA proiritize and achieve over the next 15 years:

1. Dusty Plasma Fission Fragment Propulsion
2. Nuclear gas core reactors to power VASIMR
3. Manned missions to asteroids and Mars (Requires #2)
4. Asteroid/Comet Redirect Mission (Requires #1/#2)
5. Launch landers for Europa, Callisto, Titan, and Enceladus (requires #1)

If NASA funded those missions while using private sector launch systems to get them out of atmo, that would be the optimal way to go. I'd support 2% of the federal budget for that instead of the 0.5% NASA has been getting.
View Quote
Might as well go full torchship and see if the Zubrin Nuclear Salt Water Rocket + Magnetic nozzles, or something along those lines, is realistic.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:25:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.  It's a total waste of money and the original moon landings were more to score political points and bragging rights.   There was never any real scientific reason to send humans there or anywhere else.

All the necessary science and and should be done by robots.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:26:14 PM EDT
[#29]
I like the idea of a permanent base on the moon, which can then be used to launch further into space. Plus I want star wars back and I want some secret but serious weapons on the moon

But I do support the private sector being able to bid on launching all of this, plus I'd love to see the private sector for space industries majorly grow.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:27:50 PM EDT
[#30]
I fully support the President in this endeavor.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:30:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think there's an agreement in place that no country can do that sort of thing. Though I think that's dumb ass fuck.  If a American vessels travels there, lands, a human gets out and plants a flag, why the fuck shouldn't it be ours? And if someone else does it, same to them.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:34:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This.  It's a total waste of money and the original moon landings were more to score political points and bragging rights.   There was never any real scientific reason to send humans there or anywhere else.

View Quote
In the 1400s the wealthiest world power, the Chinese, built a giant exploration fleet larger than all of the European navies combined to explore the world, soon thereafter they thought it a 'waste of money and discarded it.

After a few hundred years, European powers, who decided that such an endeavor wasn't a waste of money began landing on Chinese shores and setting up colonies at will after conquering most of the known world with their navies and advanced technology.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:34:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Might as well go full torchship and see if the Zubrin Nuclear Salt Water Rocket, or something along those lines, is realistic.
View Quote
We have lab experiment level dusty plasma.
We have testbed space reactors, although not gas core.
We have a working testbed VASIMR.

NSWR is an interesting idea, but research is not as advanced and it is a harder to sell and much costlier. NSWR uses extremely expensive combined fuel/reaction mass. If we wanted to go interstellar, it might be the ticket, but we have a lot of stuff to do in the solar system first.

VASIMR and FFRE at lower estimates of Isp are >= a NSWR at theoretical max Isp.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:35:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

absolutely no atmosphere
extreme low gravity
radiation
micro meteor hazards

just to name a few

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

absolutely no atmosphere
extreme low gravity
radiation
micro meteor hazards

just to name a few

Correct, which means lots of mining and other construction that's just not realistic imo. Mars makes more sense, there is an atmosphere, closer to Earths gravity and a small amount of water left. My question is what happened to the Martian core? What caused the planet to lose it's magnetic field? (As I understand it, it has and that's why the solar winds are slowly but continuously stripping away it's atmosphere)
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:37:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Good.  Our instinct to explore is part of what keeps us advancing as a species, and really doesn't need any justification beyond "we wanted to see what was there".

Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:37:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Moon first. Permanant base on Moon to facilitate Asteroid belt mining and processing of minerals then Mars.
View Quote
I have serious doubts about the profitability of a government-directed lunar base to jump start asteroid mining.

Which minerals are currently cost feasible to extract that way? (significantly cheaper than earth-mining), where are they/which asteroids, and what does the price have to be to make them profitable for the level of risk involved?

Remember, there's a shit ton of oil on earth that oil companies know exactly where it is but don't bother extracting... yet.  The price dictates which oil gets extracted first.

We don't even have all the necessary technologies developed to perform asteroid mining.  I have no doubt we'll develop them when the time comes.   But who should decide when the time is right?  The market or government?   Government's track record at these kinds of things generally sucks ass.    Government is the only business in the world that gets to avoid going out of business by threatening to shoot you if you don't do business with them.

Well... almost the only business that does that.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:39:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Correct, which means lots of mining and other construction that's just not realistic imo. Mars makes more sense, there is an atmosphere, closer to Earths gravity and a small amount of water left. My question is what happened to the Martian core? What caused the planet to lose it's magnetic field? (As I understand it, it has and that's why the solar winds are slowly but continuously stripping away it's atmosphere)
View Quote
If we want to mine, asteroids are what we mine. You only mine in a gravity well if you plan to use that shit in the gravity well (or if you can't find something outside of a gravity well).

We think Mars's core cooled radiatively because the planet is smaller. (Unless you believe the  very center few miles of Earth's core is a giant U fission reactor in which case one could argue that perhaps Mars had far less U).
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:40:44 PM EDT
[#38]
No sense in worrying about space when we can’t even send the illegals back.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:42:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Horsefeathers.

Look at a picture of the Grand Canyon, then go there, stand on the edge and see it with your own eyes.  Then tell us again how there's no reason for man to experience things firsthand.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:43:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
We don't even have all the necessary technologies developed to perform asteroid mining.  I have no doubt we'll develop them when the time comes.   But who should decide when the time is right?  The market or government?   Government's track record at these kinds of things generally sucks ass.    Government is the only business in the world that gets to avoid going out of business by threatening to shoot you if you don't do business with them.

Well... almost the only business that does that.  
View Quote
In general, but where the .gov investment is useful is extremely long lead ROI R&D. The market sucks at long eyed R&D. By the time scarcity raised prices to push R&D investment into asteroid mining in a private sector that doesn't like to look more than 7 years ahead, the cost of materials require to initiate may have also risen above practical levels to pursue the R&D.

However, the government currently has other reasons to pursue R&D now. The ability to redirect an asteroid for mining means we can redirect a killer asteroid.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:43:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
No sense in worrying about space when we can’t even send the illegals back.
View Quote
This is Arfcom...

Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:46:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
X100,000

Moon base is a necessary step if we ever get off this rock. Also he who owns the moon controls earth as far as i understand. Sits at the top of our gravity well and can drop little presents down to us with impunity.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:50:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:51:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

In general, but where the .gov investment is useful is extremely long lead ROI R&D. The market sucks at long eyed R&D. By the time scarcity raised prices to push R&D investment into asteroid mining in a private sector that doesn't like to look more than 7 years ahead, the cost of materials require to initiate may have also risen above practical levels to pursue the R&D.

However, the government currently has other reasons to pursue R&D now. The ability to redirect an asteroid for mining means we can redirect a killer asteroid.
View Quote
Except that it's private companies currently doing the prelim R&D to do the things we're talking about.   Not government.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asteroid_mining

Scroll down to companies and organizations.   If NASA or the European Space Agency are doing any research in this area, they're being pretty quiet about it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:51:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

X100,000

Moon base is a necessary step if we ever get off this rock. Also he who owns the moon controls earth as far as i understand. Sits at the top of our gravity well and can drop little presents down to us with impunity.
View Quote
No

and

No
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:52:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
NASA's global warming research?
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:52:45 PM EDT
[#47]
He's gonna rerun the movie "Roots" backwards.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:52:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If we want to mine, asteroids are what we mine. You only mine in a gravity well if you plan to use that shit in the gravity well (or if you can't find something outside of a gravity well).

We think Mars's core cooled radiatively because the planet is smaller. (Unless you believe the  very center few miles of Earth's core is a giant U fission reactor in which case one could argue that perhaps Mars had far less U).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I only brought up mining as in to dig out tunnels and make large chambers deep under the moon's surface, not really mining, so excavating I suppose. I was just pointing out how unrealistic something like that is on the moon.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:53:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Except that it's private companies currently doing the prelim R&D to do the things we're talking about.   Not government.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asteroid_mining

Scroll down to companies and organizations.   If NASA or the European Space Agency are doing any research in this area, they're being pretty quiet about it.
View Quote
Mental masturbation by a few companies is more than the nothing that NASA/ESA are currently doing (especially since NASA cancelled the Asteroid Redirect missions).

ESA did do the Rosetta comet lander mission which as a necessary stepping stone.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:54:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
Spain claimed it back when Spain 1st saw it in the heavens.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top