Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2001 2:58:53 PM EDT
I got a nice deal on a S&W .40 preban earlier this year.  I have only put 100 rds through it. It shoots as well as a Glock and is light and reliable.  Other than the trigger safely, it feels like a Glock.  Does anyone else out there have one?  Any quirks?
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 3:54:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe there's a boycott on answering S&W questions as well as buying their guns.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 5:44:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a Sigma 40 for about 5 yrs, just sold it this past christmas so i could get a new 45.
i like the gun, all except the heavy trigger pull. i had put about 8000 rds through mine without a hitch.
sold it to my brother-in-law
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 5:58:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 7:03:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I had one for years, Actually I should say that various gunsmiths had mine for years. It went back to S&W 4 times for the same problems. It went to an authorized S&W gs twice and still jammed on everything. 3 new barrels and still pos. I finally sold the thing after Smith returned it last year.
Trigger slap is terrible also, try putting 150 rounds through it fairly quick.
Good luck, some folks say they are ok. I`ve met more that say they hate their STIGMAS.
I bought it because of the grip, I`ve yet to find a more comfortable grip, except the hi-power of course.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 7:26:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got a couple high-cap magazine springs with followerts that I will let go for 18.00 delivered CONUS.

Interested?

Link Posted: 5/6/2001 8:26:48 PM EDT
[#7]
deer: sounds like you wanted a glock?
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 9:43:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had the 9mm version for a few years. Right out of the box the gun was a turkey (the front sight was rattling loose in the box). It jamed, had lots of stovepipes, and the trigger broke several times. After the 4th trip to Smith&Wesson, the gun was finally fixed right and now functions flawlessly (have since put about 1000 rounds through it). It is now a great gun but if I had to do it over again I would have bought a Glock instead.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 9:51:11 PM EDT
[#9]
My uncle was on the special weapons team with our sheriff's dept. I had just gotten a H&K USP 40 S&W. I asked him about the sigma, as I almost had gotten that instead. He told me they were issued them on the team, and that he wouldn't use them. They opted for Berettas, bought with non-department funds. Tons of problems, not just with his, but several on the team. Jams being the most problematic.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 7:49:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Troy, a pre-ban is a weapon sold before the outlaw of high-cap mags.  This one came with 15 rnd mags.  In other words, I can legally put a high-cap mag in it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:10:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Deerslayer,
It doesn't matter when you bought the gun you can still legally put a hi-cap in it.  The law doesn't ban putting a hi-cap in a new pistol, but it does ban the manufacture of hi-cap magazines for civilians after 1994.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:29:32 AM EDT
[#12]
man a sigma is a glock wannabe.what a POS. I had one and it was nothing but problems.sent it back to smith twice for the same problem,hard trigger wouldnt fire.once the trigger was so hard i was trying to pull it well after a bit it fired,scared the crap out of me.sold it for 125 dollers and was glad to get rid of it.
no wonder you got a good deal ,people are getin rid of them by the bunches.keep using yours and youll ware the mechinisim out,youll see.the sigma was rushed into production to compete with glock ha ha ha no way,i dont think any police dept.issues them anymore.my glocks(g22,g17 and g21 are just so much better quality its not funny.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:39:20 AM EDT
[#13]
just chaulk it up to experiance.i bought my sigma before i knew any better.and the as you say(pre ban) ones are the worst .thats why they made the enhanced version.which i hear is a little better ,but ill never buy smith n wesson again because of that sigma.its a rooki mistake.they were made to carry alot and shoot very little.i think i was told by a knoledgable smith nut that they are purly a defensive gun and where never ment to last more than 5000 rounds max.ha i would have been impressed if i had gotten 1000 rounds off before it failed misserably
sorry to burst you bubble but you got taken if you paid any more than 100 dollers for it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:40:16 AM EDT
[#14]
just chaulk it up to experiance.i bought my sigma before i knew any better.and the as you say(pre ban) ones are the worst .thats why they made the enhanced version.which i hear is a little better ,but ill never buy smith n wesson again because of that sigma.its a rooki mistake.they were made to carry alot and shoot very little.i think i was told by a knoledgable smith nut that they are purly a defensive gun and where never ment to last more than 5000 rounds max.ha i would have been impressed if i had gotten 1000 rounds off before it failed misserably
sorry to burst you bubble but you got taken if you paid any more than 100 dollers for it.
p.s. i did like the grip.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 9:10:07 AM EDT
[#15]
I've had mine for 6 years and not a problem.

I have tritium sites and really like them, it shoots just fine. I bought it and have shot well with it.

[rail]Railgun...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top