Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/19/2017 11:34:20 PM EDT
Why don't we have a Nurburgring equivalent?  We have so much land, including mountainous terrain etc.  
And there's certainly a strong support of racing in this country.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:38:23 PM EDT
[#1]
In.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:40:10 PM EDT
[#2]
As a Mass"subject" you should know we can not have nice things here.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:41:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Lawyers
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:42:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Democrats lobby against such thing.

Europeans in General, commies and otherwise dont care.

American Liberals crusade against the most random things, big picture wise compared to other leftists.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:42:52 PM EDT
[#5]
No need we have Indianapolis.

the truth America is run by insurance companies & theycontrol what is allowed & is not.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:43:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lawyers
View Quote
This.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:43:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
I never suggested or dreamed it would in Mass  
I'm sure all the coastal states would object, citing safety hazards, pollution hazards, micro agressions etc.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:43:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why don't we have a Nurburgring equivalent?  We have so much land, including mountainous terrain etc.  
View Quote

Which race tracks do you already drive regularly?
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:44:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Third post nailed it. Lawsuits, lawyers, and ninnies who cant drive as it is.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:45:49 PM EDT
[#10]
No, but we have hundreds of drag strips, where you go fast in a straight line for a couple of seconds, oh how fun and exciting..
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:45:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
How do you explain the race tracks that we have all over the U.S.?
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:47:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well, the elevation changes are all natural. To recreate it would be a lot of money in landscaping alone. It would be easier and cheaper to find a hilly area and create a new custom track instead of copying another one.

The Motegi Twin Ring would be more feasible to replicate because the oval could be repurposed for NASCAR races and the rest of it is relatively flat, which is good for motorcycle racing.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:48:11 PM EDT
[#13]
but we have the Salt Flats so bite me Germany.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:49:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
None . I'm a spectator and a fan.  I do have friends who do a bit of racing though.
Just seems strange, the Nurburgring is considered the "gold standard" in the world and we have nothing comparable.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:49:38 PM EDT
[#15]

It'd make for bad optics
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:52:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
None . I'm a spectator and a fan.  I do have friends who do a bit of racing though.
Just seems strange, the Nurburgring is considered the "gold standard" in the world and we have nothing comparable.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have plenty of great tracks in the U.S..  Almost all of them are open to amateurs to drive at sponsored events.

The cost of building, maintaining and running a very large venue like the Ring is prohibitive.  Ask the owners of the Nurburgring.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:54:20 PM EDT
[#17]
We have some great tracks here though, just not the Scale of the Ring.

Road Atlanta

Willow Springs

Sears Point

Barber Motorsports (drove here)

Laguna Seca

etc. etc.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:55:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

We have plenty of great tracks in the U.S..  Almost all of them are open to amateurs to drive at sponsored events.

The cost of building, maintaining and running a very large venue like the Ring is prohibitive.  Ask the owners of the Nurburgring.
View Quote
Pretty sure the ring is owned by the German gov’t? Or I’ve been misinformed all these years.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:56:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Considering the state of repair that I've heard the 'ring is in these days, I don't know how much longer Germany will have it. 

It will be a sad day when they close it.  

Also, it's not owned by the gov't, it's owned by a Russian billionaire, one Viktor Kharitonin.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:56:47 PM EDT
[#20]
It was called Watkins Glen

Then a kid spectating was decapitated as he leaned over the hay bail to watch the cars go by.

Then it was sectioned off into a rolling hills track instead of dropping all the way to the valley floor and up main st like it used to be.

It is still the BEST track in the US
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:58:48 PM EDT
[#21]
We are near Vegas.  15 mile track is in the works.

Sounds to be much less accessible to your average car enthusiast though.  More of a rich mans playground.

Also looks like it's going to have almost no elevation change.  

link
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:58:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Pretty sure the ring is owned by the German gov’t? Or I’ve been misinformed all these years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is privately owned.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:58:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.
Nancy state + morons.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:00:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Then a kid spectating was decapitated as he leaned over the hay bail to watch the cars go by.

Then it was sectioned off into a rolling hills track instead of dropping all the way to the valley floor and up main st like it used to be.

View Quote
I have to say that I agree, Laguna Seca probably scares me more, but the Glen is the most fun place in the country to watch or participate in a race.  

Really, the only con about it is that it is in New York or all fucking places. 
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:00:28 AM EDT
[#25]
It's the road up to Pikes Peak.

Fastest Pikes Peak Run Ever - Sébastien Loeb in 875HP Peugeot 208 T16 - GTChannel
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:01:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This.
Nancy state + morons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.
Nancy state + morons.
How do you explain the recent opening of Palmer Motorsports Park?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:02:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Why don't we have an autobuan for the same reasons?

Car ownership is cheaper here also.

Oregon has declared war on speeders/street racing.

You literally would be better off driving around with multiple ounces of cocaine in your possession then running another car through a few gears at a stop light.

Weed is now legal. Shooting heroin in your homeless tent on public property is ok.

I want ofd this planet, watching the mars missions carefully.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:02:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have to say that I agree, Laguna Seca probably scares me more, but the Glen is the most fun place in the country to watch or participate in a race.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have raced both cars and bicycles at Laguna Seca. It is a fun course once you figure it out. Bicycles hurt regardless of line.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:03:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This.
Nancy state + morons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.
Nancy state + morons.
No the answer is really money.  Although we do have some impressive tracks that have recently been built so there goes that argument.

But really the reason these things are hard to get going is money.  It's hard to get investors excited about a project that probably won't turn a big profit.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:04:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
We have some great tracks here though, just not the Scale of the Ring.

Road Atlanta

Willow Springs

Sears Point

Barber Motorsports (drove here)

Laguna Seca

etc. etc.
View Quote
Barber is amazingly fun on a bike!  I had more fun on it than at Circuit of the Americas.

Laguna Seca is on my bucket list
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:04:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:05:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Germany is roughly the size of Montana.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:05:32 AM EDT
[#33]
U.S. Highway 395.

North to South.

Way better than Nurburgring.

WAY BETTER.

Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:43:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Lawyers
View Quote
also if you race here you have to put your window down in Germany you keep it closed

much better to race that way

also they are so anal about Helmets here in the US - In Germany / the Ring you do not need a Helmet only when you ride a Bike
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:48:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I have raced both cars and bicycles at Laguna Seca. It is a fun course once you figure it out. Bicycles hurt regardless of line.
View Quote
I spent a year at Laguna Seca in the 90's.  The elevation change between turn 6 and 7 is quite deceptive in a car.  I was really surprised how steep it was when I walked the track.  I'd hate to do too many laps on a bicycle there.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:05:09 AM EDT
[#36]
It was a great day

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:07:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:12:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Considering the state of repair that I've heard the 'ring is in these days, I don't know how much longer Germany will have it. 

Also, it's not owned by the gov't, it's owned by a Russian billionaire, one Viktor Kharitonin.
View Quote
That sucks.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:19:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGP2Vk4OuXs

It'd make for bad optics
View Quote
That's the Norisring.

Nürburg =/= Nürnberg/Nuremberg

One is in the Eiffel region of Rhineland Pfalz and the other is in northern Bavaria.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:23:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
It was perfectly fine [physically] the last time I was down there in late 2013.  They've put a lot of work into the place lately.

Management can't get any worse since the Richter/Lindner and Beck years. 
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:40:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:04:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Well, the elevation changes are all natural. To recreate it would be a lot of money in landscaping alone. It would be easier and cheaper to find a hilly area and create a new custom track instead of copying another one.

The Motegi Twin Ring would be more feasible to replicate because the oval could be repurposed for NASCAR races and the rest of it is relatively flat, which is good for motorcycle racing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Boring!
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:21:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We have The Corkscrew.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:22:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It's the road up to Pikes Peak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZlcRezBFXA
View Quote
That's a hell of a road.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:23:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:23:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Americans seem to be turn averse.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:44:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Completely different to yours and ours.

It's a toll road anybody can drive up, pay and go on.

Japanese tourists who can't drive for shit is some shit low powered rental car being overtaken by 220 bhp motorbikes and 800 bhp cars

The mixture of bikes,cars drivers ability all on the 'track' is what makes that place unique.

You don't get in anywhere else in the world.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 3:01:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Completely different to yours and ours.

It's a toll road anybody can drive up, pay and go on.

Japanese tourists who can't drive for shit is some shit low powered rental car being overtaken by 220 bhp motorbikes and 800 bhp cars

The mixture of bikes,cars drivers ability all on the 'track' is what makes that place unique.

You don't get in anywhere else in the world.
View Quote
Yep.  No helmets, safety briefs, mandatory club memberships to take part, instructor ride-alongs or any other restrictions.

Show up and pay your 27€/lap, that's it.  Just follow the StVO, stay to the right, and don't crunch your car...  That doesn't happen anywhere in the US.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 3:12:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yep.  No helmets, safety briefs, mandatory club memberships to take part, instructor ride-alongs or any other restrictions.

Show up and pay your 27€/lap, that's it.  Just follow the StVO, stay to the right, and don't crunch your car...  That doesn't happen anywhere in the US.
View Quote
Anywhere legally. But it does happen.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 3:15:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because of two things:
1. A large portion of the racing supporters in this country support drag races, which is straight line and all power.
2. A large portion of racing supporters in this country are perfectly content to watch grown men in neutered cars drive in a fucking circle for 500 laps.

Things like F1/Indy/rally/autocross/offroad racing just aren't as popular here.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top