Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 105
Posted: 9/13/2017 1:47:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Krauss]
I messed my back up this week so i've been home icing it.

Well I got sick of sitting in the house so I was waltzing around HF yesterday. End up grabbing one of the 2000 watt extra quiet little guy generators. $550ish out the door and they gave me a free 2 year full replacement warranty.

I stopped at my land to try and be productive. So fired this little guy up. Wow is it quiet.

I threw on 3 LED work lights and my radio. Ran for about 6 hours and barley came off full tank.

Who else is using one??? Anything else i should grab for it?

COUPON CODE FOR GENERATOR - 26168890

Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:46:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By OilfieldTrash78:

The extended plan was $99.  I am also curious if it is worth getting it at all.  I mean I normally don't get extended warranties, but being that this is HF, I wasn't sure.
View Quote
We never get the warranty for a product -ever...
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:49:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By WildBoar:

I only use Mobil 1 in my small engines and never used an additive. So far no problems but I guess I will look into it.
View Quote
I don't believe an additive is needed...
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:25:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I only use Mobil 1 in my small engines and never used an additive. So far no problems but I guess I will look into it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tojan19:

Bad Idea! Small engines need a lot of zinc addative (ZDDP), something that has been removed from typical car engine oils. You can use the mobile 1 but you need to mix in the additive first. STP has it.
I've got thousands of hours on my little champion 2000 watt invertor and change every 100 or so with full synthetic and no issues 
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:30:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GLHX2112] [#4]
UPDATE: Ordered mine on the 6th. Just checked my account, now it says "Back Ordered".  Must have happened in the last 3 or 4 days. Assholes.  Friend who ordered the day before me got his delivered on Wed.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:32:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By EXPY37:

I think we paid $1800 for a Honda EU3000i about 2004.

This makes me feel bad...

View Quote
I'm thinking about selling the honda 3000, buying the predator 2000 and 3500.... and still have money left over.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 2:53:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Zippy_The_Wonderdog:
It seems to me that the best option is to buy two 2kw peak load generators and run them in parallel.  Run just one when you need it for efficiency.  Run both when you need more load.  Run one if the other breaks down.
View Quote
Another strategy is to buy 1 nice, quiet, smallish inverter generator for powering small, long-runnig loads, and a second, cheap, much larger racket-maker for powering the occasional load that's too big for the inverter model.

This has the advantage of still being able to power small or large loads if the inverter model konks out.

Large loads tend to be operated infrequently, so even a cheap big generator can be expected to last a while.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 5:03:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By AKCory762:

I tried to use every coupon i could find and the manager told me all Predator Generators are excluded. I just tried to add yours online and it says the same thing. Either you got lucky or i got hosed  
View Quote
Bought one last night with the coupon. It knocked $100 off.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 5:13:27 AM EDT
[#8]
There is a coupon for the 2000 for $399 on Harbor Freight's Site.

I want to get the 3500, but nothing for that.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:55:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Skibane:

Another strategy is to buy 1 nice, quiet, smallish inverter generator for powering small, long-runnig loads, and a second, cheap, much larger racket-maker for powering the occasional load that's too big for the inverter model.

This has the advantage of still being able to power small or large loads if the inverter model konks out.

Large loads tend to be operated infrequently, so even a cheap big generator can be expected to last a while.
View Quote
I'm not following you. It seems the large, infrequent loads are usually A/C units. 13-15k for a camper. Those cycle on and off. The old 5500 watt genny I used to have  would run that with room to spare, but would just go from loud to louder with load.

Seems like it is either:

a) this is for a jobsite, so I don't care how much noise it makes and I am cheap. (Or I can't afford the inverter size I need. aka- ME)
b) this is for camping/hurricane use and I want as quiet as possible. My choice is either no A/C or light wallet.

A little one to run fridges and fans and stuff makes sense. But not coupled with a big one for A/C. Did I miss something?
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:37:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Desert_AIP:
It would be cheaper to get a HF inverter generator.

A pure sinewave intverter is going to be several hundred, and you have to feed it DC, so you'd need some way to rectify the AC coming off the generator.
By the time you built some Rube Goldberg contraption, you'd be better off buying the second genny.

ETA

I found this thread discussing this topic.

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/84659/How-to-Build-an-Inverter-Unit-for-a-Gasoline-Generator

Key quote here:
Now that is from an inverter generator, the AC from a standard generator should be more stable.

Here's a handy schematic for reference
http://cr4.globalspec.com/PostImages/201306/RevCounter_04FB878B-EF0F-54C3-1440A88BCFE3C74A.PNG

ETA 2
Maybe a Power Conditioner or "Online Datacenter UPS?
Still pretty spendy.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Desert_AIP:
Originally Posted By Bones45:
Is there an external inverter available for old school generators?  I have a HF 4000 watt peak unit I got as a refurb for $125.  Runs great but I'd like to get cleaner power for electronics and stuff.
It would be cheaper to get a HF inverter generator.

A pure sinewave intverter is going to be several hundred, and you have to feed it DC, so you'd need some way to rectify the AC coming off the generator.
By the time you built some Rube Goldberg contraption, you'd be better off buying the second genny.

ETA

I found this thread discussing this topic.

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/84659/How-to-Build-an-Inverter-Unit-for-a-Gasoline-Generator

Key quote here:
As you've discovered the inverter is a black box that accepts a variable frequency, variable voltage AC input that varies with engine speed, reverse engineering that will make the AVR project look simple. A major problem is the fact that PMG's are load regulated, not field regulated like your other experiment. That means no AVR is possible, and the generator puts out a variable frequency voltage that varies with speed and the load. To overcome this you need to convert that to DC, then feed it into an inverter that will accept the noisy swinging DC voltage and provide a well regulated AC output.
Now that is from an inverter generator, the AC from a standard generator should be more stable.

Here's a handy schematic for reference
http://cr4.globalspec.com/PostImages/201306/RevCounter_04FB878B-EF0F-54C3-1440A88BCFE3C74A.PNG

ETA 2
Maybe a Power Conditioner or "Online Datacenter UPS?
Still pretty spendy.
I am screenshotting that schematic so when the power goes out, I can print it out and build one for myself.  Problem solved!

The unit has a cigarette lighter type 12 vdc outlet.  I have a HF inverter I bought to connect to the car in the event that I need an extra power source.   Does this type of inverter produce clean power?  I could make an adapter to plug it into the 12v outlet on the genny.

Another question - what's the best way to hook this up to the car engine?  Positive lead to battery positive and negative lead to engine block?
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 9:02:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Mine was backordered too.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 10:59:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By EXPY37:

I don't believe an additive is needed...
View Quote
Thats what I though as well. I am going to keep on using syn with no additives. Its been doing great so far @ 500 hours
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:08:30 AM EDT
[#13]
FYI. I pulled up the coupon in the OP on my Ipad and was able to use in in store yesterday. Nice little generator! Thanks again ARF.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:27:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoseCuervo] [#14]
I went to the store to take a look, appeared SOL.

Attachment Attached File

Asked at the desk if they had more in the back, and they did. Nice, took the original coupon from the OP for the $100 off and saved the $7 shipping. Called HF and cancelled my backordered one.

Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:32:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Engineer5] [#15]
It's listed on sale at $399 right on the front page of their website.  About 3/4 of the way down on the right hand side. Sale $399.99 with coupon 49881461

Harborfreight.com
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:15:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By JoseCuervo:
I went to the store to take a look, appeared SOL.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/79749/IMG_6690-308149.JPG

Asked at the desk if they had more in the back, and they did. Nice, took the original coupon from the OP for the $100 off and saved the $7 shipping. Called HF and cancelled my backordered one.

View Quote
Boom! Glad it worked out for you.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:25:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Additive is only so the ethanol doesn't gun up your carbs.

Guys very important, if you fill your tank and let it sit in the garage add an additive, will keep the gas good........if you test run it wait a bit after you turn it off and drain the carb, I am sure there is a screw that needs to be loosened inside to drain it......more than likely will only be about a shot glass amount.  Do it and ESPCIALLY if you DONT use an additive........the ethanol gums up those lines and your new shiney genny is gonna
Be useless.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:33:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Mech2007:

There is a coupon for the 2000 for $399 on Harbor Freight's Site.

I want to get the 3500, but nothing for that.
View Quote
Here is one for $50 off ($649 vs 699)

coupon
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:51:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By AKCory762:

Snip: A conventional generator is nothing more than an engine connected to an alternator and run at a speed that produces the desired AC frequency, regardless of the load on it (as the load increases the engine throttles up to keep the engine speed the same). The output of the alternator is connected directly to the load, without any processing.

With an inverter generator, the engine is connected to an efficient alternator, which produces AC electricity, just like a conventional generator. But then a rectifier is used to convert the AC power to DC and capacitors are used to smooth it out to a certain degree. The DC power is then “inverted” back into clean AC power of the desired frequency and voltage (e.g., 110-120VAC @ 60Hz). Regulation is very good and this system produces consistent power characteristics independent of the engine speed. The result is much “cleaner” power (“pure sine waves”) than is possible with a conventional generator, essentially the same quality of electricity that you typically get from your electric company.

Link
View Quote
Nice explanation. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 4:42:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Landshark9025:
I'm not following you. It seems the large, infrequent loads are usually A/C units. 13-15k for a camper. Those cycle on and off. The old 5500 watt genny I used to have  would run that with room to spare, but would just go from loud to louder with load.

Seems like it is either:

a) this is for a jobsite, so I don't care how much noise it makes and I am cheap. (Or I can't afford the inverter size I need. aka- ME)
b) this is for camping/hurricane use and I want as quiet as possible. My choice is either no A/C or light wallet.

A little one to run fridges and fans and stuff makes sense. But not coupled with a big one for A/C. Did I miss something?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Skibane:

Seems like it is either:

I think the infrequent loads Skibane is referring to is more like a sump pump, well pump, or water heater.  I get what you're saying about AC. You can power a 5k BTU window AC unit off a 2000 watt generator so you don't have to give up AC.

Check out the Champion 3500 watt digital generator. I run my 12.5k BTU AC off one. It has an eco mode too. I'd say it's fairly comparable to the Honda eu3000i, slight nod to the Honda still being quieter. I got mine off Amazon for ~$500.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 5:20:27 PM EDT
[#21]
So, what oil should I use in the HF generator?
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 5:30:53 PM EDT
[#22]
So, what oil should I use in the HF generator?
View Quote
Why not read what the owners manual suggests?
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 5:32:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By phatmax:

Stopppppppp.... you aren't helping!!!
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 6:16:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Seems like it is either:

View Quote
You're not going to be able to power your central air conditioning system with a pair of small inverter generators connected in parallel anyway - Most of them are way too small to provide enough power, and none of them have 240 volt outlets.

However, there are plenty of large, cheap racket-makers that have 240 volt outlets - many of which will power a central air system.

Some examples of large, infrequent loads:

1. Water well pumps
2. Clothes washers & dryers
3. Electric water heaters
4. Electric stoves
5. Welders, table saws & other large power tools

Note that most of these loads also require 240 volts.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 6:24:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Banditman:

Why not read what the owners manual suggests?
View Quote
Yes, I know that.  I was asking if there is a certain brand that people prefer...
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 6:36:17 PM EDT
[#26]

Yes, I know that.  I was asking if there is a certain brand that people prefer...
View Quote
I don't pay much attention to "brands" anymore just weights, which is somewhat confusing reading the manual.   I saw both 10/W30 and /40 mentioned at least. I went with O'Reilly brand 10W/30. $5 a quart is bullshit anyway for whatever brand you go with. I remember $1.25 / qt, and occasionally bought it at the grocery store.  Best price is best price..

Some folks go synthetic, and I might with a higher dollar item, but since I declined the add on warranty (being a cheap bastard), I went with dino squeezings.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 6:41:49 PM EDT
[#27]
FYI, the EU2000i extended run kits in the picture won't work with the HF generator. It doesn't have a fuel pump like the EU2000i does so it needs to be gravity fed. I made a cap and tried it today.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:07:57 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote
That is like asking a 45v9mm or beans no beans question. Usually taboo on vehicle
forums.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:47:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Harbor Freight just hit my credit card. Hopefully that means I'm in luck. 
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 9:50:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MRW] [#30]
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 9:53:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By survivorman:

Guys very important, if you fill your tank and let it sit in the garage add an additive, will keep the gas good........if you test run it wait a bit after you turn it off and drain the carb, I am sure there is a screw that needs to be loosened inside to drain it......more than likely will only be about a shot glass amount.  Do it and ESPCIALLY if you DONT use an additive........the ethanol gums up those lines and your new shiney genny is gonna
Be useless.
View Quote
Been there done that, fixed it by opening up the main jet a tad.  Worked amazingly well.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 10:52:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Do I still need an additive if running ethanol free fuel?
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 2:57:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By survivorman:

Be useless.
View Quote
Lol! No...
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 6:18:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Do I still need an additive if running ethanol free fuel?
View Quote
If you are going to let it sit for a while, then it would be a good idea.  I plan on running mine after storm season is over until it runs out of gas, then leave it dry.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 6:25:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Back-ordered online, went to local HF and they honored the coupon code so i bought 2
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 9:55:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Igloo87] [#36]
I ordered online, and FedEx said a tracking # has been created...

We shall see when it ships.  HFT say order status is completed...next page says shipped/track order...

FedEx says it is shipping on Monday and should be here Wednesday...
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:56:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By MRW:
$532 out the door with the coupon and extended 2 year warranty. 
View Quote
How much was the warranty?

My local store didn't have any but they have a truck coming in Monday. Couldn't tell me if there would be any, though. 
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 11:05:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By JaxShooter:
How much was the warranty?

My local store didn't have any but they have a truck coming in Monday. Couldn't tell me if there would be any, though. 
View Quote
The 2 year warranty is $99
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 11:11:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 11:34:20 AM EDT
[#40]
I've been looking at them for a while to supplement my larger generator in the RV. It'll be much nicer and quiter to run this for the TV and small appliances than the large one.

I order on Wednesday the 13th. I just received a tracking number from FedEx saying it'll be delivered by Tuesday the 19th. 
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 12:25:04 PM EDT
[#41]
I went to Spartanburg to get the last 3500 within at least 100 miles, but likely all of SC.

Got it home...and it had been dropped. Bent frame and popped cover.

Took it back to the Greenville HF and got my money back and got the 2000, which was their second to last one. 399

Thanks, ARF Bastards....forcing me to spend money.

Breaking it in now with the smoker

Busted 3500 first.  One wheel was off the floor it was so bent.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

2000 watt
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 12:25:25 PM EDT
[#42]
I ordered on the 13th. It now has a tracking # and is supposed to ship on Monday.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 12:32:14 PM EDT
[#43]
I bought a predator  2000  two weeks ago.so far its great.I have a  honda blackmax generator i bought years ago at sams,this will work great to run small things and not attract as much attention with the low noise
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 1:14:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:41:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Just ran it 8 hours straight.

CHANGE THE OIL AFTER 8 HOURS!!!

There is a lot of trash that came out.  I may change after another 8 hours of runtime, just to be safe.  I used full synthetic that I had laying around.  

Attachment Attached File

It was beautiful, clear, golden going in.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:51:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mitsuman47] [#46]

There is a lot of trash that came out.  I may change after another 8 hours of runtime, just to be safe.  I used full synthetic that I had laying around.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/38726/20170916_203343-309325.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/38726/20170916_202555-309327.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/38726/20170916_202537-309328.JPG
View Quote
Ouch. I think a 1 hour change, then an 8 hour, may be in order for these engines. That's a lot of crud/metal.

Edit: I bet it glistens if you shine a flashlight on it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:55:31 PM EDT
[#47]
What a crappy website.  I ordered one on the 13th.  Order says complete.  No idea if they're going to ship or if it's backordered.  If you add another one to the cart it doesn't say anything about backorders.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 9:49:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OilfieldTrash78] [#48]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/38726/20170916_203343-309325.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/38726/20170916_202555-309327.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/38726/20170916_202537-309328.JPG
View Quote
I just ran mine for 2 hours today...I guess I should go ahead and change the oil, and run it another 6!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 11:22:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By MRW:
On a whim I, stopped by Winter Garden (west Orlando) HF on the way home. All generators were gone, except this one. I was shocked, given that Irma was four days ago. $532 out the door with the coupon and extended 2 year warranty. I suppose anytime in the next 3 years if this craps out I drive it 2 miles up the road and get a new one. This is my biggest arfcom impulse buy to date.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/5205/IMG_0750_JPG-308650.jpg

But my elderly mom lives with us and is on constant oxygen from a dedicated machine that runs on 120v. During the hurricane our exit plan if we lost power was to evacuate her to the local hospital waiting room where she could plug her machine in. I tried running her machine on an old simple generator that I have, but the power fluctuations caused the machine to kick off every 5 minutes. The local news story today about 8 old folks dead at a nursing home due to power out pushed me over the line.

now I need to score a simple one-room air conditioner and I think I'm set.
View Quote
So that was the last one? I was going to stop by the Winter Garden store tomorrow to try and find one.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:16:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By TacticalHeater:
I'd really like to see side by side to a Honda.
View Quote
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/generator-honda-vs-predator.5807/
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 105
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top