Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 56
Posted: 8/31/2017 9:10:58 PM EDT
The story that keeps on giving

Police have released dashcam video of a head-on collision that killed one man and burned another last week near Wellsville, Utah. The driver appeared to disregard the officer's attempts to pull him over, seconds later, the black truck veered left into oncoming traffic and struck a semi truck loaded with sand. Police said the truck was speeding and at the point of impact there was a violent explosion, visible on the video from the pursuing police car. William Gray was driving the truck and exited the cab on fire, extinguished by a Utah Highway Patrol trooper. He was taken to a local hospital and then taken by air the University of Utah hospital. Marcos Torres, 26, of Brigham City, was driving the Chevy truck and will killed at the scene.
View Quote

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=446_1501540046

Footage from University Hospital and officer body cameras shows Detective Jeff Payne insisting to nurse Alex Wubbels that he be allowed to get a blood sample from a patient in the burn unit who had been injured in a July 26 collision in northern Utah that left another driver dead.

Wubbels responded that blood cannot be taken from an unconscious patient unless the patient is under arrest, there is a warrant allowing the draw or the patient consents. The detective acknowledges that none of those requirements is in place but insists he has the authority to obtain the draw.
View Quote
Utah nurse shares police video of 'crazy' arrest by Salt Lake officer

Shorter video here:
https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=deb_1504223561
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:14:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Here we go
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:14:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Cop needs to get fucked for this.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:16:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Is the nurse correct?
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:16:53 PM EDT
[#4]
hahahahaha
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:17:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Why couldn't they just arrest him? Surely there is sufficient probable cause.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:17:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Where was the doctor?
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:18:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Mmmkay
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:18:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Poor truck driver: tooling along making a living, minding his own business when some dipshit runs into him, setting him on fire.
He's lying unconscious in a Burn Unit when some cop insists his nurse stab him with a sharp object.
Then said cop hauls his nurse off for refusing to assault the patient.
Really bad day
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:19:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah,  fuck that.  

No way you get blood from my patient without meeting the letter of the law.   Not because I'm altruistic or a bad-ass, but,  simply because I don't want to embark on a new career as a nursing assistant......

Been there once in an ER setting.   They had to get a warrant.  I doubt they did and came back,  and I really didn't GAS one way or the other.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:19:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
If they arrest him, they have to pay for his care.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:20:32 PM EDT
[#11]
NVM. RIF
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:20:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is the nurse correct?
View Quote
Yes.

Fuck that cop.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:21:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Stop resisting!

TC

P.S.--Who gets in trouble if the Nurse relents and draws blood? The Nurse. Cop has no exposure.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:21:48 PM EDT
[#14]
He got off lucky.............

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/16/justice/new-mexico-search-settlement/index.html

A New Mexico man has settled with local authorities for $1.6 million after claiming police forced him to undergo "multiple digital penetrations and three enemas" on an invalid warrant and without finding any of the illicit drugs they were looking for.

Hopefully the Nurse gets paid.....
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:23:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Lol, "I have hospital administration on the way."  Like hospital administration gives a flying fuck about their employees.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:23:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Hope he gets to enjoy the unemployment line,kudos to the nurse.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:23:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They're talking about getting blood from the victim of this fiasco.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:23:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep
Sometimes they come in under arrest but they prefer not to arrest until discharge.
And they would then have to post an officer
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:25:24 PM EDT
[#19]
That cop's an idiot on a power trip and should be arrested, charged and convicted then personal held to monetary damages. The rest of the cops standing around should be fired for letting it go that far.

My wife's an ER nurse and problems arise over evidence collection from time to time. She would like to help but is restricted by a multitude of rules as to what she can do. I've never met an ER nurse who would refuse to do a draw if the legal conditions are correctly met. Hell, I've seen draws done when they knew the conditions would be met and releases to the LEO when the warrant arrived to get the sample as soon as possible, all on the down low of course.

Want a blood draw? Do your job and get a warrant, or whatever is required in your jurisdiction.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:25:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Unbelievable.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:26:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Did they call this detective from home and he had been drinking?

He clearly didn't understand that the guy in the hospital was the victim and the guy he wanted the draw from was in the morgue or still at the scene, smouldering.  There was no reason to even want the blood of the truck driver, the fleeing vehicle was the one who crossed the center line and plowed into him.

Also, is this still one of the justidictions that are so backward that they cant pick up a phone and get a judge and get a warrant? Here in Arizona pretty much all 15 counties now have 24hr initial apperance courts at their jails, and the judges there will give a SW over the phone.  Maricopa and Pinal counties are big enough that you will get a superior court judge or commissioner every time, they take the duty in rotation, but even the rural counties have this and they just rotate in JPs in addition to the judges/commissioners.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:28:14 PM EDT
[#22]
I am confused, the person they were trying to draw blood from was the semi driver that was not at fault?
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:28:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That cop's an idiot on a power trip and should be arrested, charged and convicted then personal held to monetary damages. The rest of the cops standing around should be fired for letting it go that far.

My wife's an ER nurse and problems arise over evidence collection from time to time. She would like to help but is restricted by a multitude of rules as to what she can do. I've never met an ER nurse who would refuse to do a draw if the legal conditions are correctly met. Hell, I've seen draws done when they knew the conditions would be met and releases to the LEO when the warrant arrived to get the sample as soon as possible, all on the down low of course.

Want a blood draw? Do your job and get a warrant, or whatever is required in your jurisdiction.
View Quote
We gave cops benefit of the doubt.  We would draw (iodine--no alcohol prep!!) or if not we would
Order a tox  screen on our own for our own reasons.
Make sure to mention it in chart so it's discoverable

But Florida law at that time at least allowed wide lattitude
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:29:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I am confused, the person they were trying to draw blood from was the semi driver that was not at fault?
View Quote
That's my understanding.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:29:27 PM EDT
[#25]
The driver of the Semi?

He did nothing wrong...
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:29:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Wait....WTF......this cop was trying to draw blood from the victim?  

That cop is fucked
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:32:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Have the court subpoena the guys blood, done. The hospital has it already anyways.

I don't know how their state law works when it comes to blood draws so I'm not going to comment. In my area the nurses refuse to draw blood even if it's within the statute. They still demand a warrant or consent even if your fully within the law.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:33:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Edited ~ medicmandan
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:34:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That's my understanding.
View Quote
Is that for sure? My level of disgust depends on that.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:35:02 PM EDT
[#30]
So he arrests the nurse for doing her job and complying with the law? And all his other cop buddies just stand there and let it happen? 

Protected and served...
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:35:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The driver of the Semi?

He did nothing wrong...
View Quote
What if his Tox comes back positive as well ?
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:35:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Compel a random hospital employee to provide a service under threat of arrest?

That detective just compelled his taxpayers to give her a fantastic early retirement.

Dude is in the wrong line of work. Guaranteed this is not his first foray into the stupid.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:35:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Cop was doing the blood draw and not the nurse. Nurse was refusing access.

Cop said he was using implied consent which ended a decade ago in Utah AND SCOTUS dumped the law a few years ago.

This was the victim. Cop is an idiot.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:35:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Why are they wanting to draw blood from the guy in the semi? What the fuck did he do, other than end up on the receiving end of an asshole running from the cops?
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:36:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Is that for sure? My level of disgust depends on that.
View Quote
Appears the semi was the vehicle burning, he's not the one that veered and I'm sure that crash would be more survivable for him, so I'm willing to be that's what the deal is.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:37:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That cop is fucked
View Quote
He's a DICKtective, asshole should have known better. I bet he did know better. Double-fucked, and I bet he lies at the deposition.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:38:07 PM EDT
[#37]
That trooper is clueless.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:38:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Why are they wanting to draw blood from the guy in the semi? What the fuck did he do, other than end up on the receiving end of an asshole running from the cops?
View Quote
That's kinda the point......
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:38:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Wife has been an OR RN for 37 years.  Showed her the video.  She says that cop needs to lose his job, his career and freedom.

He is unfit to be a good LEO.

Fuck him!!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:41:11 PM EDT
[#40]
The only thing I could remotely think of would be if there is some procedure to draw automatically for a CDL holder involved in any accident, BUT if this were the case, the nurse would have known about it and the cop would have gotten his sample....  

wow just watched that aggressive arrest.....  WTF is that guys problem?  

sounds and looks like a power hungry Detective Fife....  hope he gets busted back to meter maid civilian, the rest of those clowns should be meter maids for a few years for not stepping in.  That was the shit that makes people hate cops.   
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:41:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Go fund me page for truck driver

go fund me
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:41:37 PM EDT
[#42]
That cop is cruisin' for a bruisin'!

Or at least some paid administrative leave and a letter of reprimand.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:41:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That cop is fucked
View Quote
This.

Is there a source not from liveleak on this?
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:43:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Officer Respect Mah Authoritah needs his ass kicked, if everything posted is accurate.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:44:23 PM EDT
[#46]
STOP RESISTING
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:44:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The driver of the Semi?

He did nothing wrong...
View Quote
Then he should have nothing to hide.

Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:44:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:45:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Is the nurse correct?
View Quote
Yes. There is no exigent circumstance.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:45:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Lol, "I have hospital administration on the way."  Like hospital administration gives a flying fuck about their employees.
View Quote
I'll bet they give a whole squadron of fucks about getting sued by the victim and the publicity surrounding it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 56
Top Top