Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2017 12:26:04 AM EDT
Maybe some parallels to our current situation considering we're at full employment and we're seeing worker shortages in both the Construction and Farming sectors.  If not robots, you know the answer will be importing low wage immigrants.

https://www.the-american-interest.com/2017/06/30/japans-labor-shortage-will-change-world/

Japan’s labor shortage continues to climb and has reached its highest point in 43 years, Financial Times reports:

The ratio of open jobs to applicants in Japan hit a 43-year high in May, as labour shortages in the world’s third-largest economy become ever more extreme.

The closely watched indicator of Japan’s market rose 0.01 points to a reading of 1.49, the highest since February 1974, as companies struggle to fill positions from an ageing and shrinking workforce. The indicator covers all jobs, permanent and temporary. […]

Another landmark is close, as the jobs-to-applicants ratio for regular, full-time workers rose to a high of 0.99.

That implies there will soon be a full-time position with benefits and some job security for every applicant — a transformation in the Japanese labour market.

The consequences of Japan’s labor shortage will change the world. Coping with the labor shortage caused by falling birth rates and resistance to immigration in Japan will accelerate robotization. Because of the worker shortage in affluent Japan, there will be a rich market for labor-saving devices that will accelerate the development of the “post-human” workforce.

The implications are already visible. Years ago I saw the first beer-pouring machines in the lounges at Narita Airport, with no human bartender needed. That was tech nobody would bother to invent in a country with lots of poor young people looking for jobs, but in Japan it made sense.

And what happens in Japan won’t stay in Japan. New tech is relatively expensive to develop for the first time, but once it is invented, it can be replicated cheaply. So machines developed in the unusual Japanese market can and will be cheap enough to use in labor markets where workers are much cheaper than Japan.

Worker shortages in Japan will lead to worker surpluses elsewhere. Winter is coming.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:27:55 AM EDT
[#1]
At least if the new robot overlords are made in Japan they will likely be well made.

God help us if the Chinese build them.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:35:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Depending on the viability of existing networks is huge gamble backed into the pie.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:38:50 AM EDT
[#3]
The only thing we have a surplus of is social entitlement leeches.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:39:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only thing we have a surplus of is social entitlement leeches.
View Quote
We could send them to Japan and solve two problems.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:40:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm thinking this.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:41:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm thinking this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm thinking this.
Unfortunately, the robots work far better than the leeches ever would
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:43:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Maybe some parallels to our current situation considering we're at full employment and we're seeing worker shortages in both the Construction and Farming sectors.  If not robots, you know the answer will be importing low wage immigrants.
View Quote

What are you smoking?

WE are at full employment?  Hardly.  WE are busting ass to pay taxes to feed the leeches.  

Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:43:42 AM EDT
[#8]
The solution is easy. Invade Japan and force all of our illegals upon them.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:44:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm thinking this.
The Japanese are remarkably good at motivating workers... or at least they used to be.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:51:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
WE are at full employment?  Hardly.  WE are busting ass to pay taxes to feed the leeches.  
View Quote
Depending on which economists you follow, we hit full employment somewhere back in May.

BTW, here's one of the robots that Japan has developed in their nursing homes.  Apparently, they are still very reticent to accept trained nurses from outside their country (i.e. immigration) so they're going the Blade Runner route.

Another one that just talks to people:

Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:53:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The Japanese are remarkably good at motivating workers... or at least they used to be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm thinking this.
Only if they could figure out how to treat women as first class citizens and procreate.

Women there would literally throw themselves at you. They just want attention.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:57:39 AM EDT
[#12]
When am I getting my gundam robot!
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:06:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Aside from tje lack of guns, I would love to live there.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:21:57 AM EDT
[#14]
They have self-destructed their future without knowing it. Money, cultural norms, and reputation. You don't want to get married if you cannot support your wife. If you have the money to get married, you do not want to have a child if you cannot afford to raise him or her. If you have one child but want more, you don't do it if you cannot afford it.
If you don't have a good job, you can't even think of asking a woman on a date, not even getting to the point of marriage. If you are a single woman, you don't ask men on a date. If you have a solid job and good pay, you might not have time to date if getting promoted requires working more hours. There are a lot of heterosexual bachelors in Japan. Not surprised at the volume of pron coming from a tiny country. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top