Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/23/2017 6:34:44 PM EDT
My Habaneros were starting to ripen yesterday, and this dick came and ate seven of them!

Obviously, I just picked him off, but what is he and are there good gardening methods to prevent his kind from coming back?

As you can see, I live in a condo (that's my deck) so I'm not exactly an experienced gardener.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:36:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Rephrasing as: Was it a tomato hornworm?  They seem to be completely immune to spicy peppers.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:37:11 PM EDT
[#2]
That looks like a tomato horn worm
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:38:01 PM EDT
[#3]
One that will be shitting fire.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:38:22 PM EDT
[#4]
It'll be the little critter with large testicles and fire shooting out of it's ass. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:39:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I dare you to eat the worm...I bet that bitch is hot.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:40:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rephrasing as: Was it a tomato hornworm?  They seem to be completely immune to spicy peppers.
View Quote
He must be!
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:40:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think you were right with Tobacco Hornworm.

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:46:16 PM EDT
[#8]
They are very closely related but I'm not sure if they eat tomatoes and peppers also. The best method of control is just picking them off of plants and squishing the little bastards. They will eat the hell out of tomato plants with a quickness. They lay their larve in the soil and tilling the soil takes care of most of them but OP has container plants.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:48:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Tomato Hornworm is pretty close to looks as well.

Found another on my Scotch Bonnets. No fruit (to speak of) so that a-hole ate all the flowers.

Damn I hate these things now!

Checked my Habaneros again... yep, he got the flowers too.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:48:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I firmly believe those were Ridley Scott's inspiration for the Alien model. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:49:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They are very closely related but I'm not sure if they eat tomatoes and peppers also. The best method of control is just picking them off of plants and squishing the little bastards. They will eat the hell out of tomato plants with a quickness.
View Quote
That sucks.

I eat the peppers, so I don't want to use poison.

That being said, I was inspecting my plants yesterday to see how they were coming along ripeness wise.

This sucker was big, no way I would have missed him.

They work quick!
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:50:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They are very closely related but I'm not sure if they eat tomatoes and peppers also. The best method of control is just picking them off of plants and squishing the little bastards. They will eat the hell out of tomato plants with a quickness.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
They eat things that would normally kill insects, including Jimson weed and Brugmansia, leaves of which contain atropine.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:51:50 PM EDT
[#13]
The tomato hornworm is a voracious eater.

Pro tip:  Never kill them if they have white eggs laid on their backs.  Those are trichogramma wasps eggs - the hornworm's chief predator.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:51:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Caterpillar type of thing.  Hornets devour them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:52:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That sucks.

That being said, I was inspecting my plants yesterday to see how they were coming along ripeness wise.

They work quick!
View Quote
Yep, as you can see, they eat crops very quickly. You have to check on the plants nearly every day and the little bugers camouflage themselves very well.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#16]
There's a biological control you sprinkle on the plants as a dust.  Makes the sick/die.  Safe and 'organic', I think.

This https://www.amazon.com/Safer-5162-Garden-Caterpillar-Killer/dp/B001A7RNB6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1503528893&sr=8-4&keywords=safer+bt+caterpillar+killer
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:54:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I've had problems with ants on mine.

A good dose of Sevin took care of them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:03:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That sucks.

They work quick!
View Quote
Try using some neem oil on the plants it is organic.

I had ants on my tomatoes and bell peppers it kept them away after using it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:04:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Pro tip:  Never kill them if they have white eggs laid on their backs.  Those are trichogramma wasps eggs - the hornworm's chief predator.
View Quote
Damn. Went to pick up my dog from my dad's house and found one on his Serrano plant.

Ignorantly assumed it was caterpillar larve, so picked him off and killed him.

Wish I started this thread earlier.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:07:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Try using some neem oil on the plants it is organic.

I had ants on my tomatoes and bell peppers it kept them away after using it.
View Quote
Just mix with water and spray?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:08:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Damn. Went to pick up my dog from my dad's house and found one on his Serrano plant.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The trichogramma wasp eggs hatch to larvae - that enter the hornworm's body through the attachment point and eat it from the inside-out.  Kind of Alien-esque.

Anyway - those eggs ensure next year's generation of trichogramma wasps - keeping the hornworm population in check.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:11:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
There's a biological control you sprinkle on the plants as a dust.  Makes the sick/die.  Safe and 'organic', I think.

This https://www.amazon.com/Safer-5162-Garden-Caterpillar-Killer/dp/B001A7RNB6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1503528893&sr=8-4&keywords=safer+bt+caterpillar+killer
View Quote
Cool, thanks!
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:14:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The trichogramma wasp eggs hatch to larvae - that enter the hornworm's body through the attachment point and eat it from the inside-out.  Kind of Alien-esque.

Anyway - those eggs ensure next year's generation of trichogramma wasps - keeping the hornworm population in check.
View Quote
Holy shit, these are fascinating. Thanks for posting!

They are commercially produced they are so effective.

"Although there are several groups of egg parasitoids commonly employed forbiological control throughout the world,Trichogramma have been the most extensively studied.[5] There have been more than a thousand papers published on Trichogrammaand they are the most used biological control agents in the world.[6] Trichogramma are unique in approaching the size limit of how small an insect can be, which would be determined by how few neurons they can fit in their central nervous system, yet exhibiting a complex behavior to sustain their life. Trichogramma have less than 10,000 neurons, which is a hundred times fewer than the next smallest insect.[7]"
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:15:10 PM EDT
[#24]
I've never had them eat our peppers, but they love our tomatoes.

Went down to the garden a couple months ago, and you could actually see worm poop on the ground around a couple of our plants.

They are very camouflaged. I alternate between stomping them and feeding them to the chickens.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:17:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
yup those are dicks... peeled one off of one of my stripped plants a couple weeks ago... took solace in seeing all the wasp eggs suck to his back... Karma is a bitch
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:17:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I dare you to eat the worm...I bet that bitch is hot.
View Quote
+1.... if you video tape it, I'll send ya $50... I'm sure we can get others to chip in too
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:19:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Mark your territory.  Piss on them.

Seriously though a bit of ammonia around the stalks of the pepper plant itself keeps some bugs away.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've never had them eat our peppers, but they love our tomatoes.

Went down to the garden a couple months ago, and you could actually see worm poop on the ground around a couple of our plants.

They are very camouflaged. I alternate between stomping them and feeding them to the chickens.
View Quote
Assholes.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:25:01 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm also pissed off they ate all the buds and flowers.

Will be awhile for the plant to recover, grow, bloom flowers, and produce peppers.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:25:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Just mix with water and spray?
View Quote
You can buy it already in a bottle at most places that carry garden chemicals.

You can mix your own if you want to do so with soap and water.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:27:49 PM EDT
[#31]
The kind you kill with RAID
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:39:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

yup those are dicks... peeled one off of one of my stripped plants a couple weeks ago... took solace in seeing all the wasp eggs suck to his back... Karma is a bitch
View Quote
Yep they are major little assholes. When I see the larve on their backs, I just leave them be. Otherwise, I just squash the assholes.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:43:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yep they are major little assholes. When I see the larve on their backs, I just leave them be. Otherwise, I just squash the assholes.
View Quote
Man they're destructive. Leaves too!

If I was out of town, I bet I would have come home to the stalk and a few stems.

When I see another with larvae, I'm leaving it be, for sure.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:45:08 PM EDT
[#34]
You better not let him hear you calling him a jerk OP.

He'll get Jal-a-peno yo face!
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:10:54 PM EDT
[#35]
If you get enough of them try roasting or deep frying them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:15:16 PM EDT
[#36]
As a young'en, I used to shoot those bastards with my pellet rifle.
Mom's garden.

She'd get pissed when I shot the tomatoes
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:15:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If you get enough of them try roasting or deep frying them.
View Quote
Um, no
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:19:19 PM EDT
[#38]
When I see another with larvae, I'm leaving it be, for sure.                                
View Quote
Pick it off your plants, but don't kill it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:23:10 PM EDT
[#39]
As others have said a product called "BT" because we have trouble saying "bacillus thuringiensis" is made for all types of caterpillars and safe for humans.

From most any garden store (not Walmart or Home Depot) that sells seeds and plants.

It is sold under trade names such as DiPel and Thuricide.

LINK
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:24:17 PM EDT
[#40]
A mean mofo. That's who.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:28:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
As a young'en, I used to shoot those bastards with my pellet rifle.
Mom's garden.

She'd get pissed when I shot the tomatoes
View Quote
Good old American boy, with American youth problems.

We had a crow problem when I lived in MN. Tried air horns, some other stuff, no luck.

One day, they started being really aggressive and more or less dive bombing my mom's GSD.

(GSD owners know they pick a person.)

My mom told me to take care of it. I did with my dad's AR7.

No further problems.

Actually read an article this year that said crows grieve, which reminded me of that story.

They were making all sorts of noise when I shot him and buried him. (I was 13)

After that though, they moved on. No further issues.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:42:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep, this stuff works. They sell it in liquid form as thuracide BT which is diluted for use in a sprayer
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:48:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yep, this stuff works. They sell it in liquid form as thuracide BT which is diluted for use in a sprayer
View Quote
Good info.

I'll try this year and carry forward to next.

Man, I'm just growing peppers in pots.

These things have to be a major problem in actual gardens.

(I'd assume commercial farming operations would have steps in place to prevent them)

Damn, they are destructive.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:04:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Look loke a horny tomato worm.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:07:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Where do those bastards come from anyway? Are they offspring that hatch to caterpillars from mm and dad that flew in as moths? I hate researching things I despise. It has been awhile since bology class. Maybe I do need to research this. Damn. 

I might need to look at my tomatoes, but my main problem is bottom/blossom end rot. 

Edited for partial clarity. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:18:54 PM EDT
[#46]
I feel for ya...Bambi murdered my last two plants a couple of nights back.

I've tried a lot of different things on the cheap to try to keep the deer away...this was the final straw.

Next spring I'm going to put up an electric fence, one that hopefully has enough charge to make Bambi glow in the dark for a week if he touches it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:24:07 PM EDT
[#47]
7-Dust those fuckers.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:50:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Looks like there are two of those bastids dining out.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:57:06 PM EDT
[#49]
I had them on my tomatoes last year, leaving the ones with the white eggs live just meant more time to eat plants, kill every fucking one. I sprayed with thuricide this year and havent seen a single one or any indication of damage at all.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:02:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Where do those bastards come from anyway? Are they offspring that hatch to caterpillars from mm and dad that flew in as moths? I hate researching things I despise. It has been awhile since bology class. Maybe I do need to research this. Damn. 

I might need to look at my tomatoes, but my main problem is bottom/blossom end rot. 

Edited for partial clarity. 
View Quote
The adult form is the hummingbird moth.  
Local species in VA

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top