Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2017 7:33:09 PM EDT
I can't use my phone as a music player; not so bad as headphone sound is not so good with it. I have an old, about 15 years, MP3 player that is really showing its age. I know most of you probably just switched to using your phones for music, but any input is welcome. What would you get?

It's mainly for inside use, but will go outside too.

It should have an internal rechargeable battery. The longer the battery life, the better. Would be nice to be able to charge it with an USB or normal wall charger.

I would like it to be able to sort the files so I wouldn't have to press the forward key sixty times to get to the song I want. Some basic controls, like repeat and random too.

Supports some of the newer file formats other than MP3. What would you suggest it support? .WAV, .FLAC?

I don't want to get stuck with have to go through any one singular service to get music. If I rip some off a CD, or find some on line, I just want to be able to add them.

Changing songs should be as easy as connecting it to a computer and adding or removing files.

I was hoping for a price under $100.

Also, I have a question about my car radio. It's a 1999, and I don't see a jack. All it seems to have is a CD slot. Is there a way to connect my music player to it? Local radio has gone downhill fast around here.

Also, where do you normally get your music? Just wondering if it is that different than what I do.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:39:19 PM EDT
[#1]
you need to get out of the 90's.

napster or limewire, bro
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:41:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Microsoft Zune
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:41:58 PM EDT
[#3]
You can find NIB and refurb IPods still. I buy cds and rip them, and also use Amazon music and pandora. I'm about to pull the trigger on a replacement for my aging iPod touch.

I'm sure there will be some other suggestions, so I'm going to hold off on the purchase until I see what the hive mind has to say.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:16:08 PM EDT
[#4]
put your $100 towards a better phone and use that

take another $100 and go buy a car stereo with bluetooth and then connect to car stereo with bluetooth.

I myself just listen to the radio in the car but
my son listens to nothing but his phone (currently S8) he streams most of his music off the internet and bluetooths in the house and in his car and truck.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:36:00 PM EDT
[#5]
You can't use your phone why? Your sentence doesn't make sense.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:37:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Get a cheap used android phone. Use it on wifi and for music only.

I have an old nexus I use for this. Works great.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:39:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
This.  Or a FiiO X5.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:43:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Be all you can be and thank me later.

Astell & Kern AK380 Copper HiRez music player...

Chris
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:44:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought one of these.

Amazon Product
  • High performance hardware configurations and certified electronic components:16GB internal capacity and supports up to 64GB micro SD card;Bluetooth 4.0 with BQB certification(Referenced Qualified Design ID:52837);Hi-Fi lossless sound quality powered by upgraded chip and endless Acoustic debugging.
  • Up to 50 hours audio playback,charge it with computer or general charger with output of "5V,0.5-1A".
  • Easy drag&drop file management;easy to connect with computer;easy to connect with speaker(Additional male to male AUX cable needed).

Bluetooth connectivity, rechargeable, works and sounds great with a set of bluetooth ear buds I have.
Also sounds good with a bluetooth speaker.
Not fancy, but it suits my purposes. I use it mostly when I'm mowing grass or grilling.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:49:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Buy a used Android phone with a bad ESN from eBay, add VLC or other media player and a big micro SD card.  

You can get in for under $35 total, most likely.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:07:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
I used the SanDisk Sansa up until two years ago when my last one finally died. Then I used my wife's old Nokia 521 Windows phone, and I'm currently using her old Nokia 635 Windows phone for podcast but it is close to dying soon so I'm going to pick up a cheap prepaid Android phone just to listen to podcast. The built-in speaker is a lot easier than using earbuds or some other speaker contraptions.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:59:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I bought one of these.

www.amazon.com/dp/B06XVPRWVCBluetooth connectivity, rechargeable, works and sounds great with a set of bluetooth ear buds I have.
Also sounds good with a bluetooth speaker.
Not fancy, but it suits my purposes. I use it mostly when I'm mowing grass or grilling.
View Quote
Looks interesting. Are the files organized, or just one big list you have to click through?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top