Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 8/21/2017 3:52:29 PM EDT
I have finally decided to buy a 911. I have a plan to make it fairly custom, so the idea if buying one with some actual value (993, 997, 946...) to it, is a bad one.

The plan includes things like spray paint, tagging, bike rack, dents, dings, and over all does not require a perfect cosmetic car. It will however need one that is mechanical sound.  I'm calling it my Trashy 911 project.

My search for said car had brought me a couple of cars that seem to fit the bill in the LA area, but I'm in Seattle, so that's going to make things a little difficult. I'm not sure how to go about getting a PPI, not sure I'd just have it shipped or just fly down and drive it back (cost is about the same).  Last time I bought a CA car was 10 years ago and I didn't not get a PPI. I flew down and drove the car back. 10 years later, I'm replacing that car and buying a Porsche, but I'll not forgo PPI this time.

I am aware of the IMS bearing issue, RMS issue and the fact that the maintenance on it will be a little more expensive than my BMWs or VW.  But, What else should I watch out for?

The real question here is, who has purchased cars sight unseen and had PPI done remotely. Shipping cars? things to look for watch out for and such?

Eta:

Got it!

Purple coming off in the morning!
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:32:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Nobody?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:34:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I would say, generally speaking, most Porsche owners are at work...
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:34:30 PM EDT
[#3]
The chink in your plan is cosmetics damage and mechanical neglect go hand and hand with high end German car most times.

If your plans are really custom you might want to look at a compilation of wrecked vehicles and beaters with blown engines.

Low miles,perfect maintain but totaled car then pull engine trans and install in a blown up beater.

I love me a rally 911
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm a former dealer Porsche Tech and have owned a bunch of 911's.

Do not buy a 996.

More money but find something between 1978-1998

Edit: the 996 is plagued with catastrophic engine problems.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:38:31 PM EDT
[#5]
OP, Seattle is not far from LA.  don't be dumb and pay to ship it.

1. Yes you can have a PPI done when you aren't there.  You find the best Porsche place in LA and YOU call and make appointment for the car in question, then you have the BUYER just drop it off.  The shop calls YOU back with details

2. If it passes you fly your ass down there and drive that mutha fucka back.  WHy? because it will be one of the most fun trips you've taken in a while and while you're down there you can get some sun light to reverse all the brain rot from living in Seattle.  

My personal experience though is a beat to fuck performance car on the outside equals and EVEN BIGGER beat to fuck car on the inside aka engine, trans, driveline.  If Skippy McFuckstick lets his shit get beat to crap on the outside do you think he gives a fuck to do the maintenance right, nope nope nope.

Buy a well taken care of but high mileage version and you'll be WAY better off.   Also buy it from a private yet rich individual who has multiple Porsches.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:38:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I've never bought any of my used Porsches with out a PPI. I have also never shipped them.  I always flew to where they were when a deal had been made following the PPI and it was also pending my inspection on arrival.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:40:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I have one with 86K on it.

Purchased it about 6 years ago with 72K or so.

Runs and works well for me.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:53:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Tagged for rally edition 911
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:03:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would say, generally speaking, most Porsche owners are at work...
View Quote
Only the suckers.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:46:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Do not buy a 996.

View Quote
The internet tells me its a non issue on the 1999-2000 cars.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:48:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The chink in your plan is cosmetics damage and mechanical neglect go hand and hand with high end German car most times.

If your plans are really custom you might want to look at a compilation of wrecked vehicles and beaters with blown engines.

Low miles,perfect maintain but totaled car then pull engine trans and install in a blown up beater.

I love me a rally 911
View Quote
Although I didn't really think of that, I know there have to be others out there who, like me, are meticulous maintainers of the mechanics of their cars, but don't worry too much about cosmetic stuff. I just have to find the right one...
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:49:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Let me ask you this.  With 911s selling at all time highs and targas coming back en vogue for some reason, why are you choosing a 911 to make a budget trashy car?

My experience is just based on owning 9 of them
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:53:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
What? Intermediate shaft failure, water pump impeller grenading into the head jackets or cylinder walls coming apart?
Seriously, there is a reason they are $15,000 cars and the generation prior to it are 60-150,000 cars.

I love 911's. kick in an extra $15,000 and buy a old SC. You will sell it for what you paid, even after beating on it.

Mine,
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:00:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Do not buy a 996.

View Quote
+1
Former Porsche monkey also
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:30:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What? Intermediate shaft failure, water pump impeller grenading into the head jackets or cylinder walls coming apart?
Seriously, there is a reason they are $15,000 cars and the generation prior to it are 60-150,000 cars.

I love 911's. kick in an extra $15,000 and buy a old SC. You will sell it for what you paid, even after beating on it.

Mine,
http://i.imgur.com/wDKqX77.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine,
http://i.imgur.com/wDKqX77.jpg
The IMS failure were not an issue on the 99-00 engine. it was during the mid 00' production that they switched it to a new part and that's when the problem started.
Water pump issues seem to be a 996 and 997 issue that seems to be solved by replacing the water pump every 50k. A for the cylinder walls coming apart, Similar to the IMS failure, that is somehtign that was an issue with the post 00' cars and in 3.6 and not the 3.4.

As much as I would love a 993 or 964, I'd hate to do what I'm going to do, to one of those.   I'll get one someday, but for now, I have an idea and I'm not going to let it die.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:35:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have finally decided to buy a 911. I have a plan to make it fairly custom, so the idea if buying one with some actual value (993, 997, 946...) to it, is a bad one.

The plan includes things like spray paint, tagging, bike rack, dents, dings, and over all does not require a perfect cosmetic car. It will however need one that is mechanical sound.  I'm calling it my Trashy 911 project.

My search for said car had brought me a couple of cars that seem to fit the bill in the LA area, but I'm in Seattle, so that's going to make things a little difficult. I'm not sure how to go about getting a PPI, not sure I'd just have it shipped or just fly down and drive it back (cost is about the same).  Last time I bought a CA car was 10 years ago and I didn't not get a PPI. I flew down and drove the car back. 10 years later, I'm replacing that car and buying a Porsche, but I'll not forgo PPI this time.

I am aware of the IMS bearing issue, RMS issue and the fact that the maintenance on it will be a little more expensive than my BMWs or VW.  But, What else should I watch out for?

The real question here is, who has purchased cars sight unseen and had PPI done remotely. Shipping cars? things to look for watch out for and such?
View Quote

If you don't have to deal with emissions where you live, try to find something that won't pass California's draconian emissions testing. Non smoggable cars can be a nightmare to Californians and sold cheap but no big for those who live in non smog states.

ETA: If you are doing some kind of faux patina/beater look, look in places where hailstorms are common. Might find one that was an insurance write off due to hail damage.
You will probably get a smoking deal on something with bad or missing catalytic converters or somebody's stalled track day project that they de-smogged.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:39:29 PM EDT
[#17]
1. Buy Porsche
2. Rip engine out
3. Install Something not made by them.
4. Enjoy.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:40:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Op, all these guys telling you not to buy it aren't wrong. Buying a 996 at this point is about the same category as "find a woman you hate and buy her a house"

The only way to own a 996 is to find a low mileage one that's been meticulously attended to. The ims issues are only the surface of the problems that these cars have and as age plays more into them new and exciting problems will surface to eat your money.

You'll get all the shitty parts of owning a p car with none of the good ones.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:41:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I have nothing to add that hasn't already been stated about the 996.  I really miss mine in spite of some of the headaches.  The 993 I had before that was even worse with the carbon build-up that required engine rebuilds.  The PPI should uncover most of the challenges and give you what you need to make an informed decision.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:41:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

2002+ are the better years to buy performance wise.  Look better, and faster.  I came so close that I made an offer on 2 Carrerra 4s's last year but they each fell through.  I would not get one without maintenance records.  Good news is that most have had the IMS issue fixed.  

Do the PPI, AND GET THE IMS FIXED.  Do not skimp on either of those.

After you've done all that you should be good to go. 911's are pretty bulletproof when when you keep up with maintenance.  

In regards to the shipping I shipped my 328i because it had immaculate records.  I would not ship a 996 without looking at it.  Too many variables.  Go look at it and then ship it back.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:42:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Edit I mis-spoke.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:53:28 PM EDT
[#22]
If its low mile, go for it.

I bought my 957 S from TX, shipped to OR sight unseen. But the dealer promised a 7 day return garuentee if I didnt like it.

Ive also bought 2 NSXs out of San Fran/LA and flew down and drove back up too.

So it depends how big a deal the purchase is and what garentee you have.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:15:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Have owned a 2000 since new.  Was the wife's daily driver for five years, then my DD for 3 years, and then just a fun car.  

I've done a clutch, water pump, rear wheel bearings, a smog pump/air pump hose, an alternator, two (2) MAF sensors, and batteries.  I also installed aftermarket shocks/coils.  Up to around 125K miles by now.  

All in all, a great car.  My complaints include sticky radio buttons, the insulation falling off the defrost air supply tubes and blowing little pieces into the car, the sux ass stereo, and the constant tire replacement.  

I would buy again in a heart beat.  Still puts a huge grin on my face.  My only regret is not trading it in after 5 years on a turbo or GT3.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:21:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Have owned a 2000 since new.  Was the wife's daily driver for five years, then my DD for 3 years, and then just a fun car.  

I've done a clutch, water pump, rear wheel bearings, a smog pump/air pump hose, an alternator, two (2) MAF sensors, and batteries.  I also installed aftermarket shocks/coils.  Up to around 125K miles by now.  

All in all, a great car.  My complaints include sticky radio buttons, the insulation falling off the defrost air supply tubes and blowing little pieces into the car, the sux ass stereo, and the constant tire replacement.  

I would buy again in a heart beat.  Still puts a huge grin on my face.  My only regret is not trading it in after 5 years on a turbo or GT3.
View Quote
So, having this experience, would you buy a used one if you were looking today?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:24:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Let me ask you this.  With 911s selling at all time highs and targas coming back en vogue for some reason, why are you choosing a 911 to make a budget trashy car?

My experience is just based on owning 9 of them
View Quote
Because it would be fun. 996s will likely never have any real collector value, so I won't feel bad about it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:37:01 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd buy a lower mile one that's had a minor accident and or a rebuilt title of you want a beater. Should be cheap, and then you can repair the cosmetics to your liking.

Techs tend to only see the cars with problems. There are a lot of these cars still on the road with 150k plus miles. IMS bearing is a big one but you can fix that with an aftermarket solution.

Sounds like you want a 996 rat rod. Cool idea. 
The cabriolets are often priced lower than the coupes. Maybe get a cab and just totally remove all the folding top parts.
Go look at it in person though! 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:37:45 PM EDT
[#27]
LS7 Cayman S.

I just saved you $20k so can I borrow it once in a while?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:39:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Forgot to mention, look in Arizona and Vegas too. Lots of nice cars around those areas. 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:39:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The chink in your plan ...
View Quote
What did you just call me?

Just kidding.
OP. You are going to refurbish the entire 996: new paint, engine, tranny, carpet, seats, wheels, tires, etc.?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:41:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Because it would be fun. 996s will likely never have any real collector value, so I won't feel bad about it.
View Quote
Well then buy the cheapest local one you can find.    The money you save on PPI and shipping will cover some down the road repairs

Just because you get a PPI doesn't mean shit.   Not all are done by master mechanics.   Not all catch everything.  They are just like a home inspection and most folks know 996s are shit in terms of the major problems and price them as such knowing something will go wrong.   Hence most shops have a 996 crate engine laying around ready to go.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:49:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Yes.  Without hesitation.  Despite being an older model, the vehicle had fewer issues and trips to the mechanic than the wife's subsequent CL500 or her current E63.  

Look for a well maintained example with low miles.  A car with no wrecks.  Get a PPI from a legit place.  

But, if I was buying today in the used market, I'd get a turbo.  Maint is going to be considerably higher, but there is a significant increase in performance.  Perhaps not usable performance on public roads, but an increase in performance nonetheless.   The turbo's provide essentially supercar performance at an "affordable" price.  Affordable being a relative term, of course.  

The GT3 I drove was a bit "raw" for the road.  Basically a street legal track car.   While the turbo was silky smooth and crazy fast, the GT3 was less refined, more demanding, and semi-crazy fast.

Did I mention the stereo?  Truly the worst stereo available.  Horrible.  Next to the stereo in my Chevy PU or the subsequent 4Runner, the stereo in the 996 is like a portable am radio.  Of course, I've only planned to replace it for 16 years.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:58:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Turn it into something like this:

Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:07:47 PM EDT
[#33]
"Never meet your heroes" is how I explain my Porsche ownership experience.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:13:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Serious question for those recommending a 993.  If he gets a 996 and the engine explodes, he could buy another one and still have spent less money.  If the engine doesn't explode then he has saved a ton of money.  Could you purchase a warranty?  

Never owned a porshe, but the 996 seems like a huge bargain if it doesn't explode.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:43:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Already been looking at that one. Havent called on it yet, but I'm finding them as low as 11,500 in CA and TX. $700 in flight, fuel, and hotel to get it here. I can save $5000.

Though that has the turbo bumper and I like it. I also LOVE the interior.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:46:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'd buy a lower mile one that's had a minor accident and or a rebuilt title of you want a beater. Should be cheap, and then you can repair the cosmetics to your liking.

Techs tend to only see the cars with problems. There are a lot of these cars still on the road with 150k plus miles. IMS bearing is a big one but you can fix that with an aftermarket solution.

Sounds like you want a 996 rat rod. Cool idea. 
The cabriolets are often priced lower than the coupes. Maybe get a cab and just totally remove all the folding top parts.
Go look at it in person though! 
View Quote
YES! this is the plan. My last rat rod was a 72 super beetle that I chopped the top off of, painted flat black, and spraypainted some flames on....

Same idea here except it will be flat black with white accents and in nitro green "Trashy 911" sprayed painted on the side. I'll put a bike rack on it and make it as low as I can get away with.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:51:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
LS7 Cayman S.

I just saved you $20k so can I borrow it once in a while?
View Quote
Ive actually considered doing that conversion to my 987. Well, that and the turbo kits for the stock engine. If they engine ever went it would make it any easy decision.

What I should probably do is just sell the damn thing before it costs me a bunch of money
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:51:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Within the last year I bought an E46 M3 track car candidate in California and had it shipped to the East Coast.

The starting point is to fully grasp the Achilles Heel of whatever you are going to buy.  For a Porsche - I recommend that you find an indy shop that is a long-time advertiser in the local PCA chapter magazine.  They'll have the experience and the earned reputation for a competent PPI.  Do NOT use a dealer for a PPI.  I recommend that you find an exhausting PCA track Tech Inspection forum - and have the shop inspect to that standard as a minimum.  I also strongly recommend a compression test and a Blackstone oil test (I did both).  Have the shop express the oil sample to Blackstone to avoid losing time.  Blackstone will rush it if you are pressed for time.

I flew in, inspected the car and test drove it.

I had the shipper (enclosed shipping) pick it up within an hour (great timing!).  It took 2 weeks to the East Coast - same truck.

Shipping is a serious goat rodeo.  First - create a spam email for pricing inquiries.  You'll regret giving them your phone number.  I had to get an app on my phone just to block calls from them 8 months after the car arrived.  The overwhelming majority of shipping is a national auction system where one truck moves the car one segment - then it is dropped and awaits the next low bidder for the next segment.  That is how 80-90% of cars are transported.  Its a broker-based system.

I rejected that in favor of one truck for the full trip.

If you need a reference to the good broker I used - PM me.

FWIW - I would avoid the 996 in favor of another older model.

Build thread(in progress):  https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/2007940_CWO-s-Track-Car-Build-Thread.html
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:51:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Already been looking at that one. Havent called on it yet, but I'm finding them as low as 11,500 in CA and TX. $700 in flight, fuel, and hotel to get it here. I can save $5000.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here ya go...

2000 996 for Sale in Auburn

The problem is the more I look at the interior on that thing the more I want to just call and go get it....
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:15:42 PM EDT
[#41]
I have a 2007 911C2S

and love it
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:45:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Within the last year I bought an E46 M3 track car candidate in California and had it shipped to the East Coast.

The starting point is to fully grasp the Achilles Heel of whatever you are going to buy.  For a Porsche - I recommend that you find an indy shop that is a long-time advertiser in the local PCA chapter magazine.  They'll have the experience and the earned reputation for a competent PPI.  Do NOT use a dealer for a PPI.  I recommend that you find an exhausting PCA track Tech Inspection forum - and have the shop inspect to that standard as a minimum.  I also strongly recommend a compression test and a Blackstone oil test (I did both).  Have the shop express the oil sample to Blackstone to avoid losing time.  Blackstone will rush it if you are pressed for time.

I flew in, inspected the car and test drove it.

I had the shipper (enclosed shipping) pick it up within an hour (great timing!).  It took 2 weeks to the East Coast - same truck.

Shipping is a serious goat rodeo.  First - create a spam email for pricing inquiries.  You'll regret giving them your phone number.  I had to get an app on my phone just to block calls from them 8 months after the car arrived.  The overwhelming majority of shipping is a national auction system where one truck moves the car one segment - then it is dropped and awaits the next low bidder for the next segment.  That is how 80-90% of cars are transported.  Its a broker-based system.

I rejected that in favor of one truck for the full trip.

If you need a reference to the good broker I used - PM me.

FWIW - I would avoid the 996 in favor of another older model.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/Eyesofsilver/M3%20Folder/Track%20Car%20Build/IMG_3804.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/Eyesofsilver/M3%20Folder/Track%20Car%20Build/IMG_3816.jpg

Build thread(in progress):  https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/2007940_CWO-s-Track-Car-Build-Thread.html
View Quote
Totaly made the mistake of using my real email for shipping quotes already...

An e46 was one of the cars I've been looking at as well. I've followed your thread. Cool stuff.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:51:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

An e46 was one of the cars I've been looking at as well. I've followed your thread. Cool stuff.
View Quote
Email was less of a problem for me than texts.  The texts were seemingly never-ending.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:52:08 PM EDT
[#44]
I bought a Lotus sight unseen (& without a ppi).  It was a bit nerve wracking, particularly wiring the money and hoping a car actually showed up a couple days later.
Worked out ok in the end, but for future out of state purchases I think I'll fly in to at least look at the car before purchasing.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:09:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I bought a Lotus sight unseen (& without a ppi).  It was a bit nerve wracking, particularly wiring the money and hoping a car actually showed up a couple days later.
Worked out ok in the end, but for future out of state purchases I think I'll fly in to at least look at the car before purchasing.
View Quote
Last time I bought a car I flew to San Diego for it. I had arranged for the dealer to pick me up from the airport. That was the most nerve wracking flight ever. I wasn't sure this little sleazy dealer would actually do what he said he would and also not sell the car out from under me!

I'm actually going to look at one tomorrow. If it's as nice and well cared for as the owner makes it seem, I'll have a PPI and make an offer if it checks out.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:10:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Email was less of a problem for me than texts.  The texts were seemingly never-ending.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, giving a shitty CA dealer my phone number was not a good idea either.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:13:35 PM EDT
[#47]
That looks just like the truck used to bring my Chevelle from CA to IN. Two younger Russian guys who made it here in about 3 days and cost me something like $1300. The truck was 75 feet long!
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 2:54:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Well, I've either made the best or worse automotive decision I've ever made...
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 2:59:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Well, I've either made the best or worse automotive decision I've ever made...
View Quote
Congrats! Pictures?
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 3:00:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you're gonna make a 1000-1500 mile road trip in a 17yo used German performance car that you just purchased, better get AAA Platinum first.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top