Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2017 11:54:46 PM EDT
Been planning out some motorcycle trips and would love to have a giant wall map that showed all the roads so I could plot them out. Thought about cannabalizing a couple of those big red map books but my luck is they wouldn't match up.

So what's out there. I use google maps when I am looking around but sometimes the big paper ones are better for planning. Mostly looking for Northern California or Nevada and California.

ETA

I am getting sent a lot of links to $150+ maps. I know about these as they are fairly easy to find. I'd love to find some under $50 but a little more would be ok if it was big enough and had the detail I needed.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:06:36 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are fire service, you can find a department with a plotter and print those maps yourself. Worst case scenario - make friends with someone in forestry and use theirs.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:17:29 AM EDT
[#2]
U.S. Geological Survey has all the maps. but it's kind of a rabbit hole and I don't really know about the pricing.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:26:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Fedex Print Stores have services where you can print anything huge on their poster-sized printers

http://www.fedex.com/us/office/online-printing.html
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:29:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Thomas Brothers supplies the maps at county EOCs and fire departments. They have huge county sized and state maps.
At least they used to, don't know about now. Worth a look at their website.
HERE
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:30:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are fire service, you can find a department with a plotter and print those maps yourself. Worst case scenario - make friends with someone in forestry and use theirs.
View Quote
Not for a long time. Need to change my avatar............and username

Good to know about the plotters though
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:38:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check things out locally first... I think the copy shops have plotters as well.

If you get in a pinch, shoot me an IM. My department has a plotter, but the fact that I would have to send them snail-mail might be a little tedious for you.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:30:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Amazon Product
  • Contains a 24" x 36" dry-erase map
  • Dry-erasable
  • Safe for walls, leaves no sticky residue

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:41:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Here ya go!  Raven Maps are awesome.  I have several.  They are laminated so you can use a grease pen or white board markers...

Raven Wall Maps

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:11:27 PM EDT
[#10]
ETA

I am getting sent a lot of links to $150+ maps. I know about these as they are fairly easy to find. I'd love to find some under $50 but a little more would be ok if it was big enough and had the detail I needed.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:12:58 PM EDT
[#11]
That size and price would be great if it were just Cali. That's what I'm hoping to find.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:15:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Here ya go!  Raven Maps are awesome.  I have several.  They are laminated so you can use a grease pen or white board markers...

Raven Wall Maps

http://www.ravenmaps.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/04_IMG_1468e_1_399x266.jpg
View Quote
$65 for their laminated California map. Certainly not a horrible price.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:59:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep they are cool and about 5' long if my memory serves me right (it's in my office).  Certainly not a super detailed map, but great for most roads and getting a general layout of a route.

For motorcycle trip planning, my go to maps are the Delorme Atlas & Gazetter series that are about 11 x 17.  Super detailed (down to almost all back roads) and portable.  I photocopy a single page down to two each 8 x 11 and carry those in my tank bag's clear map section.  I highlight areas I've traveled or will travel...  About $20 a book.

ETA - Newer versions are aparently capable of taking a grease pen now.  Haven't tried it on my new book - something additional to consider.

They used to have both a Southern and Northern Cali series.  Only seeing one now...

Delorme Atlas & Gazetter - California

Another option are the Butler Maps - a lot of guys speak highly of them.  I've never used them but here is a comparison...

Delorme Map Review and Comparison to Butler Maps ADV Riding
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:12:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yep they are cool and about 5' long if my memory serves me right (it's in my office).  Certainly not a super detailed map, but great for most roads and getting a general layout of a route.

For motorcycle trip planning, my go to maps are the Delorme Atlas & Gazetter series that are about 11 x 17.  Super detailed (down to almost all back roads) and portable.  I photocopy a single page down to two each 8 x 11 and carry those in my tank bag's clear map section.  I highlight areas I've traveled or will travel...  About $20 a book.

ETA - Newer versions are aparently capable of taking a grease pen now.  Haven't tried it on my new book - something additional to consider.

They used to have both a Southern and Northern Cali series.  Only seeing one now...

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61Pk%2B3ZVHhL._SX335_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Another option are the Butler Maps - a lot of guys speak highly of them.  I've never used them but here is a comparison...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5hDBA9zl0Y
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61Pk%2B3ZVHhL._SX335_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5hDBA9zl0Y
Obviously you're not up to my level of linguistics, The big red map book I was talking about cannabalizing is the DeLorme map books

that is what I am using now but want something bigger.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:17:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Who else liked big maps?

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:21:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Too bad you don't have access to the internet. Really good maps online.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:25:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I once had one of those fuzzy black light posters, it was pretty cool.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:30:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Try a BLM office.

I used to be able to buy maps for my county that were devided into about 4 seperate maps.

When you find the area you want off of whatever regional state map get a BLM map for trails beyond roads.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:36:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Try a BLM office.

I used to be able to buy maps for my county that were devided into about 4 seperate maps.

When you find the area you want off of whatever regional state map get a BLM map for trails beyond roads.
View Quote
BLM as in Bureau of Land Management, the terrorist organization that keeps people off public lands, not the terrorist organization that kills whitey.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:36:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Adds absolutely nothing to the discussion. Great post.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:52:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is always the risk of encountering jackasses when you step into GD.

I am absolutely not saying @boolzi is a jackass just that they are out there

You know the type. They don't read the post and have nothing intelligent to add but try and get a few words in edgewise so they can show off how cool they are to everyone.

That type of jackass you just can't hide from. Thankfully @boolzi isn't that kind of jackass
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:54:56 PM EDT
[#22]
No, I am.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top