Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2017 10:07:12 PM EDT
My Suburban has been acting up. Takes several cranks to start up. It kicked these two codes. When it showed the P0108 (showed the P0342 a few days before the 0108 showed up), it started stumbling really bad upon start up. I changed the fuel filter last night(it was really clogged up and the fuel that came out was very dirty), and it seemed like the problem went away. Today its hard to start again, but it's only showing the 0342. Could the fuel pump be going out? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:19:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I just had to put a fuel pump in my 2003 Silverado, it didn't go out that way, it just died on the side of the road, never stumbled or stuttered.
I would think you have fuel pressure leaking down when it is shut off. catching air somewhere. Just my guess.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:20:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine was doing that and it ended up being the resister it the key.  Passlock or some shit like that.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:24:40 PM EDT
[#3]
How many miles on it?  Those fuel pumps tend to die around 100k-130k.  Mine whined for a few months before it died.  Fortunately, it died a half mile from home.

PITA to replace - you have to drop the tank.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:27:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you checked fuel pressure?  Offhand, it sounds like a bad camshaft position sensor(hopefully).
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:27:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How many miles on it?  Those fuel pumps tend to die around 100k-130k.  Mine whined for a few months before it died.  Fortunately, it died a half mile from home.

View Quote
Nonsense, just cut a hole through the bed and with a torch. Weld it back up later.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:39:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't think you can do this on the suburban, but on the truck line:
Pt.1 2007 Chevy Pickup Fuel Pump Replacement At D-Ray's Shop

Kind of surprised GM didn't put an access panel in the floorboard of the suburban, under the carpet/seats.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:51:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
161,000.  I know. When I was mechanic, I did a few.  Dumped fuel on my groin a few times.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:52:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Nonsense, just cut a hole through the bed and with a torch. Weld it back up later.
View Quote
A coworker would take the bed off small trucks. Way easier.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:53:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My Suburban has been acting up. Takes several cranks to start up. It kicked these two codes. When it showed the P0108 (showed the P0342 a few days before the 0108 showed up), it started stumbling really bad upon start up. I changed the fuel filter last night(it was really clogged up and the fuel that came out was very dirty), and it seemed like the problem went away. Today its hard to start again, but it's only showing the 0342. Could the fuel pump be going out? Thanks in advance.
View Quote

Buy a pressure gage and connect it to the fuel injector rail/manifold. If you don't get 40PSI the pump is bad.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:07:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Buy a pressure gage and connect it to the fuel injector rail/manifold. If you don't get 40PSI the pump is bad.
View Quote
Gonna try this.  I'm off Friday, good day to drop the tank and change the pump if it's bad.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:13:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Ground wire for fuel pump is left side,  near back door, little screw   disassemble, dress metal lug with file or wire brush, clean up frame, reattach, grease or paint over it.

Use a die grinder , cut a small access door under back seat, in prep for fuel pump failure, tape up the  door, and carry a spare  high quaility fuel pump.  having pushed through a shitt clogged filter will have thrashed most of the life out of your fuel pump.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:13:36 AM EDT
[#12]
P0342 is cam position sensor circuit low voltage. This will most certainly give you a hard crank or no start conditions. This is probably one of those things you should see a competent  mechanic about.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:24:01 AM EDT
[#13]
If you have an autozone or other store that loans out tools they usually have a fuel pressure gauge test kit.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:47:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I just had to put a fuel pump in my 2003 Silverado, it didn't go out that way, it just died on the side of the road, never stumbled or stuttered.
I would think you have fuel pressure leaking down when it is shut off. catching air somewhere. Just my guess.
View Quote
Yeah, thats how mine went out.

Just got off the highway qnd right on the ramp........puuh then nothing.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:34:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Stupid truck. 2-3 days after swapping out the fuel filter, it ran fine and has been doing so since.  The CEL shut off and it sometimes starts on the first try. Runs fine now, it doesn't shake and run shitty anymore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top