Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2017 11:19:11 AM EDT
are we taking total PITA or something on the level of Bayou Bullet coating? Best place to get the powder?
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:20:10 AM EDT
[#1]
What the fuck?
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:21:59 AM EDT
[#2]
A couple of guy in my club does. Shake & Bake, and spray on. Seems like a lot of work when you can just buy Blue Bullets.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:23:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Its easy. BUy from powder by the pound, or Smoke on castboolits. I use a frankfort Arsenal tumbler I got off craigslist for $10, throw powder and bullets in and let them tumble for about 10 minutes while I heat up my toaster oven (another cheap CL find). Dump the whole thing into a wire basket I made from grill section at walmart. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes. Size after they cool.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:24:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Is there a point to powder coating outside of looks?
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:25:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Its easy. BUy from powder by the pound, or Smoke on castboolits. I use a frankfort Arsenal tumbler I got off craigslist for $10, throw powder and bullets in and let them tumble for about 10 minutes while I heat up my toaster oven (another cheap CL find). Dump the whole thing into a wire basket I made from grill section at walmart. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes. Size after they cool.
View Quote
dont need to stand them up?
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:26:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:26:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
yes it replaces the sticky nasty lube on cast bullets..
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:27:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Dryflash3 appears to powder coating everything now.

I decided I don't have time.
View Quote
so box them up and send to Dryflash for coating..
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:28:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Best place is Harbor Freight, use the red, it's the best.

It's not too much of a PITA from what I've seen, I have yet to get into though.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:28:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
It is done in place of regular lube for cast bullets.

The general concensus is the powder coating reduces the leading and/or will allow you to drive them faster.
Another benefit is reduced smoke due to no wax based lube being burned off.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:30:07 AM EDT
[#11]
The technology will probably take over from plated as far as cheap practice ammo.

Not sure if it can be adapted to rifle ammo velocity.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:30:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

dont need to stand them up?
View Quote
You can pick them out of the powder with pliers or hemostats and stand them up if you'd like. When you dump them, they do stick to each other a bit and arent as pretty, but they shoot just fine. Just shot some 55gr PC GC out of my AR yesterday. 0 leading and had a good time.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:17:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
are we taking total PITA or something on the level of Bayou Bullet coating? Best place to get the powder?
View Quote

Time spent on PC is less net time than cleaning a leaded barrel IMHO.

I've used Powder by the Pound for my PC. The "wet" series works best.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:22:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been using  Missouri Bulet Co Hi Tek bullets for years.  Love them. Their bullets come in a very wide variety of hardnesses for whatever application you're interested in.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:40:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I started a thread on it here a few years ago with a lot of photos.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/395802_Powder_Coating_Cast_Bullets_.html

I've moved onto using the Hitech Coatings from Bayou Bullets.  A quart will coat many thousands of rounds.  The Hitech coatings is a little quicker and sticks even harder than powdercoat.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:59:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I started a thread on it here a few years ago with a lot of photos.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/395802_Powder_Coating_Cast_Bullets_.html

I've moved onto using the Hitech Coatings from Bayou Bullets.  A quart will coat many thousands of rounds.  The Hitech coatings is a little quicker and sticks even harder than powdercoat.
View Quote
good to know.. I have a quart of it here.. and been using it..
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:11:38 PM EDT
[#17]
"You've got to be doing something..."  I love shooting old wheel weights, I stick mostly to the heavier handgun loads 38, 44, 45.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:30:03 PM EDT
[#18]
My brother powder coats 308 rounds in the oven, downloads the powder in the cases to subsonic levels, then shoots the shit outta his G.A. Optimus suppressed bolt gun.

That thing is so damn quiet and the group's are surprisingly good at 150 yards.

Things that make grown men giggle!
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:32:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What the fuck?
View Quote
Moly coating, not powder coating...
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:35:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Is it worth it? Depends on how much free time you have and how much value you place on that time. I just buy Bayou Bullets
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:36:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Moly coating, not powder coating...
View Quote
Definitely powder coating. I'll never shoot uncoated lead again. 
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:38:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:50:41 PM EDT
[#23]
I powder coat all of my pistol bullets.  Extremely simple and quick to do.  I do about 5# per rack, about 3 minutes in a small tumbler with 2-3 table spoons of  PC then dump them onto a wire basket I made that is the size of my toaster oven rack that is sitting on a container to catch the excess PC, couple shakes to even the bullets out and knock off the excess coating, then 10-15 minutes in the toaster oven.  I prefer to separate the bullets by hand about 1 minute after they come out of the oven.

For rifle I prefer the hi-tek coating.  More consistent coating thickness that has less chambering issues with my 300bulk bullets and the bore ride design.  Bit more time consuming to do though.

Do note though, different brand or color powder coats will net different speeds with the same load/bullet.  I used to do different colors but have now settled on only useing blue PC from Smoke.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top