Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2017 7:54:28 AM EDT
Why do I eat other people's food at potluck  
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 7:56:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Poop hands thread.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 7:59:55 AM EDT
[#2]
You need to increase the levels of good bacteria in your gut.  You'll be less susceptible in the long run.

I ingest a fair amount of raw and rotten meat thru the nature of my job. I get some rocking farts but that's about it.
I also eat fermented foods and drinks. I drink alot of kombuncha. Eat a fair amount of bagged sauerkraut and eat alot of yoghurt.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:01:07 AM EDT
[#3]
FPNI

Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:01:17 AM EDT
[#4]
My mother in law believes that eating small amounts of raw meat will help to improve your immune system.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:03:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Could be a gall bladder attack.  For years I thought that I was getting food poisoning periodically because something I ate disagreed with me.  Turns out I had gallstones.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:13:21 AM EDT
[#6]
It can be pretty serious for some;

I remember where I used to work we had a potluck and the boss made spaghetti afterwards he put the leftovers in the break room refrigerator and forgot about it. About three weeks later I walked into the break room and one of my colleagues had the pot of spaghetti out which had a layer of mold on top of it and he was scraping it off. I said you are not going to eat that he said what was below the molds was still good, dipped a bowl, microwaved it and against my advisement, he ate it, all of it.

We did not see him for a week after that due to food poisoning.

I had a good friend eat some chicken his sister made and he ended up in the hospital for more than two weeks, it damn near killed him.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:20:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My mother in law believes that eating small amounts of raw meat will help to improve your immune system.
View Quote
I rarely get stomach/gi illness.
Nothing better than raw beef with a little salt.  I try not to eat raw chicken but it ends up in my system by default.  When you cut and pack 1000lbs on a sale day it'll happen.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:26:21 AM EDT
[#8]
That's the "Luck" part of pot luck.  If they called it e-coli roulette no one would come.  Good luck, I have had that put me down for a few days.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:43:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I avoid potlucks like the plague. I never know how things were handled or made. Worst story I know of is a lady in my wife's book club. She made "cat paw" cookies.  Just a basic cookie with a paw impression in it. The lady talked about how she made them, and yes, she pressed the paw of her cat onto each cookie

I also avoid buffets since I don't know how many disgusting hands were on those serving utensils.

Food poisoning does suck and I try to avoid at all costs!
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:47:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I got food poisoned on a potluck Thanksgiving several years back. I was nearly naked, lying on the cold tile bathroom floor thinking this is how I'm going to die.
The host was offended and said it was a bug going around, but my vegetarian wife never caught the bug.

This past weekend I was either food poisoned at a restaurant or I caught norovirus. I still feel shitty.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:49:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Last time I spent the night shitting water and vomiting simultaneously into a trash can was after a Subway Italian in Kiel Germany. What made it nice was the heated tile floor in the bathroom. My 20 minute naps in between fluid rapidly exiting my body were toasty warm. Did not eat few a few days. Good times.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:50:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I avoid potlucks like the plague. I never know how things were handled or made. Worst story I know of is a lady in my wife's book club. She made "cat paw" cookies.  Just a basic cookie with a paw impression in it. The lady talked about how she made them, and yes, she pressed the paw of her cat onto each cookie

I also avoid buffets since I don't know how many disgusting hands were on those serving utensils.

Food poisoning does suck and I try to avoid at all costs!
View Quote
I never eat potluck either, unless it's at the family reunion like yesterday.  And I'm still very selective in what I eat. There was some catered sliced brisket that tasted a little off.  I knew I shouldn't have kept eating it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:51:27 AM EDT
[#13]
My doctor told me that about 75% of so-called "stomach flu" or "24-hour stomach bug" is actually food poisoning.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:54:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Caught it once by eating in a restaurant that did not use water hot enough to clean the dishes properly.
They were closed for a week, I missed several days of work, and I have never eaten an open face hot beef with mashed potatoes again.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:59:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I got food poisoned on a potluck Thanksgiving several years back. I was nearly naked, lying on the cold tile bathroom floor thinking this is how I'm going to die.
The host was offended and said it was a bug going around, but my vegetarian wife never caught the bug.

This past weekend I was either food poisoned at a restaurant or I caught norovirus. I still feel shitty.
View Quote
Descriptions like this brings on flashbacks. Cold tiles on the floor or ceiling, cold sweats, dizzy, cramps so bad 
you get nauseous just from them, cramps that feel as if some hand was on your colon trying to squeeze out
every bit of fluid they are so intense. Oh, and thinking if you don't survive, that might not be so bad. 
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:00:48 AM EDT
[#16]
I got it 2 years ago from a salad at Wendy's and so did my wife. I had it shooting out of me for 18 hours. Couldn't keep water down or in either, finally made the hospital trip and all was better after some meds.

That has been the worst I've ever had. I think I lost 8 lbs. On the bright side my pants fit great for a few days.

Edit:  I have not eaten at a Wendy's since and I miss the spicy chicken sammich but not enough to risk food poisoning again
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:07:31 AM EDT
[#17]
The crazy thing is, I've handled foods in all manner of ways that many would consider questionable.  Too long in the danger zone, deliberately under cooked seafood and chicken, fermented things at room temperature for days etc. and never once have we gotten sick from it. WTF are these places doing to give people food poisoning?

Worst thing I've seen is a neighbor forgot some deer meat out in the sun for something like 9 hours.  She was afraid to eat it so she gave it away
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:13:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The crazy thing is, I've handled foods in all manner of ways that many would consider questionable.  Too long in the danger zone, deliberately under cooked seafood and chicken, fermented things at room temperature for days etc. and never once have we gotten sick from it. WTF are these places doing to give people food poisoning?

Worst thing I've seen is a neighbor forgot some deer meat out in the sun for something like 9 hours.  She was afraid to eat it so she gave it away
View Quote
Seinfeld - Hand Washing Fail
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:23:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Who doesn't like to shiver in bed, moaning, under the covers in the fetal position for 24 hours?  
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:23:40 AM EDT
[#20]
I absolutely refuse to attend company potluck's.  You're a nasty SOB...God only knows what your kitchen looks like.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:18:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Descriptions like this brings on flashbacks. Cold tiles on the floor or ceiling, cold sweats, dizzy, cramps so bad 
you get nauseous just from them, cramps that feel as if some hand was on your colon trying to squeeze out
every bit of fluid they are so intense. Oh, and thinking if you don't survive, that might not be so bad. 
View Quote
It's the cold ceiling tiles that really makes the whole ordeal so much worse, and gives one the feeling that just falling into a coma would be 'fun'.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:50:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It's the cold ceiling tiles that really makes the whole ordeal so much worse, and gives one the feeling that just falling into a coma would be 'fun'.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ahhh.. my bad. *wall tiles*.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top