Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2017 4:32:31 PM EDT
Coated with mustard than dry rub, wrapped in plastic overnight in the fridge.

Pulled them out for an hour before smoking at 250 degrees. I pulled the ribs at 190 degrees and the butt at 205 degrees. Once out I wrapped them in foil for 30 minutes. I used pecan wood.

Honestly the ribs are mediocre, I should have pulled them at about 160-ish. They have a nice flavor but the bark is too tough in most spots. I need to up my mopping game to help keep them more tender on the outside. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

The butt came out tender and falling apart, it was almost a pain to get it off the rack in one piece. Oddly enough, the bark on it is nearly perfect in texture and taste. The beer is a New Belgium Ale, Juicy Watermelon. I wanted to try something different from my typical summer shandy type brews.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:00:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I think I see your problem....there's a metal element a the bottom of that "smoker" where a baffle or smoke box should be........I'm an ass I know.
0331/8152
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:09:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think I see your problem....there's a metal element a the bottom of that "smoker" where a baffle or smoke box should be........I'm an ass I know.
0331/8152
View Quote
Could be an issue. OP maybe try setting a baking sheet on the bottom rack so there is less radiant heat hitting the bottom pieces.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:10:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:11:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:14:39 PM EDT
[#5]
That's an electric oven.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:18:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That's an electric oven.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:29:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Cook your ribs using the 3-2-1 method.
Virtually impossible to mess them up that way.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:40:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
I do baby backs for 3 hours @ 220 then another 3 hours @ 220 wrapped. I'm sure I'll be called an apostate for using foil but whatever. No one has ever complained.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:43:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think they look fine.

I don't check temps on ribs, too hard to get a good reading IMO because of the bones.  I smoke at around 250 degrees, and figure 3-4 hours for baby backs, 4-5 for St. Louis cut, and 5-6 for full spares depending on how thick the slabs are.  They're good when the exterior kinda crackles and tears when bending the rack. 

Butt looks good too, although butt is a big, easy, forgiving piece of meat to cook.  It'll almost always be good no matter what, especially if you're serving it as sammiches with sauce and slaw/pickles/whatever else.

How is the New Belgium watermelon ale?  I've been meaning to try it, but I had a bad experience with Shock Top lemon shandy, I've been scared to venture beyond like Belgian style wheat beers in that style.
View Quote

Not very good

Underwhelming in flavor
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:43:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is how I have been doing mine and they turn out great. Smoke for 3 hours or so. Wrap them in foil with honey, brown sugar, and butter for 2 hours. Then unwrap and sauce them in the last hour. I don't mop them or spray them with anything and they are always tender and juicy.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:48:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:52:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I usually do ribs for about 5 hours. Wrap in foil for the last 2 hours. They will stay tender and much more moist and the bark isn't so overwhelming on them.

And keep them out of direct heat. Any flames that lick up onto the meat will burn them.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 6:02:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

<snip>

How is the New Belgium watermelon ale?  I've been meaning to try it, but I had a bad experience with Shock Top lemon shandy, I've been scared to venture beyond like Belgian style wheat beers in that style.
View Quote
Not to derail the thread, but that shit is the nectar of the gods!
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 6:04:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 6:07:30 PM EDT
[#15]
You can save those ribs by steaming them for about ten minutes. That'll make the over done bark all supple and tender again.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 6:08:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Simple way to cook ribs is 3-2-1 method or 2-2-1 for baby back ribs.

3 hours in smoker at 225-250
2 hours wrapped tightly in foil with some apple juice or whatever is your preferred liquid
1 hour again in smoker with some sauce mopped on top.

Very easy.

Nothing wrong with electric smoker. But yeah keep heating element covered from juices and to protect food from hot spots.
Also read about AMNPS. Very convenient in electro smokers
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 6:12:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Could be an issue. OP maybe try setting a baking sheet on the bottom rack so there is less radiant heat hitting the bottom pieces.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
0331/8152
And a water pan on it...or in place of it....makes a good heat diffuser.    Pull the ribs when the meat starts to crack as you lift in the middle.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 6:15:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Water pan may reduce temperature to the point where electro smoker struggles to get up to even 225
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 6:28:51 PM EDT
[#19]
3-2-1 on the ribs.

Add a water pan.  

Hold smoker temp at 225.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 6:34:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
0331/8152
View Quote
Truth. It's an outdoor oven. 
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 6:41:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I never use a thermometer on ribs.  I go by aperance and how much they flex when picked up
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:45:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's an electric oven.

I like it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:48:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Not very good

Underwhelming in flavor
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think they look fine.

I don't check temps on ribs, too hard to get a good reading IMO because of the bones.  I smoke at around 250 degrees, and figure 3-4 hours for baby backs, 4-5 for St. Louis cut, and 5-6 for full spares depending on how thick the slabs are.  They're good when the exterior kinda crackles and tears when bending the rack. 

Butt looks good too, although butt is a big, easy, forgiving piece of meat to cook.  It'll almost always be good no matter what, especially if you're serving it as sammiches with sauce and slaw/pickles/whatever else.

Not very good

Underwhelming in flavor
I like it but I wouldn't go out of my way to find it. I still prefer Leinenkugel (sp?) as my summer BBQ beer. I'll try sticking to a time instead of a temp in the future. They aren't trash but they weren't what I was looking to create. This was my first full rack of ribs so I kind of expected mistakes.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:50:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Water pan may reduce temperature to the point where electro smoker struggles to get up to even 225
View Quote
I'll try it anyway, mine can hit 325 in a hurry. Can't hurt, if it won't heat enough I can always pull it out.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:53:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Your beverage makes me more deebly goncerned than your meat.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:55:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Let me know when you graduate to beef.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:57:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Only one way to know for sure...you will need to send full samples for testing.  Purely scientific you know.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:01:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:01:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Let me know when you graduate to beef.
View Quote
I actually make a good brisket in what is apparently my outdoor oven. I spray it with a little apple juice and vinegar, seems to help but I'm not sure why.

Thankfully everything I've made is edible and I do like food.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:07:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not mine.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:10:40 PM EDT
[#31]
I  bought an electric smoker earlier this year after several years of using my charcoal side smoker.  I've done beef ribs, brisket, chicken wings, and whole chickens with good results and considerably less work.  On mine, the element has a metal heat shield with the water pan on the first rack.  I keep my pan filled, smoke ribs at ~220, cut the smoke for the last couple of hours and use foil if needed towards the end.  I'm not a big fan of marinades or wet sauces so I only use a dry rub of paprika, salt, and pepper on beef the night before.   
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:15:26 PM EDT
[#32]
I have this smoker, does an awesome job.  I used to smoke with charcoal but I like the electric better.  It's just a heat source, doesn't mean much to me if it's electric or charcoal/wood.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=68307136&KPID=21863740&cid=CAPLA:G:Shopping_-_Grills_-_NN&pla=pla_21863740&k_clickid=d2338d33-6209-4559-93a4-8248a37cc796
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:41:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
He put mustard on it.....that meat never had a chance
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:48:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I do baby backs for 3 hours @ 220 then another 3 hours @ 220 wrapped. I'm sure I'll be called an apostate for using foil but whatever. No one has ever complained.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's some after the 2 hour foil.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:50:57 PM EDT
[#35]
0/10 electric cheat box
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:52:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

He put mustard on it.....that meat never had a chance
View Quote
This..

Putting rub on overnight.. is way too long.

Add rb about 2 hours before going on smoker
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#37]
The problem is seasoning meat and ot cooking it right away.  Salt leaches moisture out of meat, you can marinate meat over night but not season.  You meat will end up dry and not very tasty except for the bark which will be very tough.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:56:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Here's some after the 2 hour foil.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/394844/IMG-0143-238898.JPG
View Quote
Looks like it should be in a magazine.
I do a full 3 in the foil to pull the meat back from the bone slightly. No sauce on mine until it gets off the smoker but that's personal preference.

Once I figured out how to smoke brisket, baby backs and whole chickens I felt like the learning curve was worth it. Of course over $100 worth of meat was wrecked to get there but so be it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:02:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
0/10 electric cheat box
View Quote
If you want to babysit a fire in a giant metal box for a day in TX heat be my guest. Seriously. More power to ya.

The process is just a means to an end to me. If I could get the same results out of a crock pot or a microwave I wouldn't mess with a smoker at all.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:04:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Coated with mustard than dry rub, wrapped in plastic overnight in the fridge.

Pulled them out for an hour before smoking at 250 degrees. I pulled the ribs at 190 degrees and the butt at 205 degrees. Once out I wrapped them in foil for 30 minutes. I used pecan wood.

Honestly the ribs are mediocre, I should have pulled them at about 160-ish. They have a nice flavor but the bark is too tough in most spots. I need to up my mopping game to help keep them more tender on the outside. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/100831/IMG-0849-238676.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/100831/IMG-0847-238675.JPG

The butt came out tender and falling apart, it was almost a pain to get it off the rack in one piece. Oddly enough, the bark on it is nearly perfect in texture and taste. The beer is a New Belgium Ale, Juicy Watermelon. I wanted to try something different from my typical summer shandy type brews.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:05:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Electric =Fail
Lock her down
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:08:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Electric =Fail
Lock her down
View Quote
Why does electric solicit such a response? I would think electric could result in the most consistent product.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:13:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Why does electric solicit such a response? I would think electric could result in the most consistent product.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Electric =Fail
Lock her down
Because it is immoral godamnit!
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:24:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
I can't speak to the consistency yet since I've only used it a few times but so far this thing makes me look better and smoking food than I likely am. Everyone that's eaten my meat raves.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:34:01 PM EDT
[#45]
I've smoked for years on a charcoal burning Ugly Drum that I built myself and it works great, but I got a small electric smoker for Fathers day to use when we take our camper to the lake or anywhere I don't want to lug around a 55 gallon drum sized smoker. 

Tried it this weekend with a brisket point and I'll be damned if it didn't do a great job.  Super consistent temps.  I did put foil over the bottom rack to prevent direct heat from the element from hitting the meat. 

Funny thing was, we didn't have electric hookups where we parked this weekend so I ran it off a generator.  Not the most efficient use of gasoline, I suppose
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:51:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Simple way to cook ribs is 3-2-1 method or 2-2-1 for baby back ribs.

3 hours in smoker at 225-250
2 hours wrapped tightly in foil with some apple juice or whatever is your preferred liquid
1 hour again in smoker with some sauce mopped on top.

Very easy.

Nothing wrong with electric smoker. But yeah keep heating element covered from juices and to protect food from hot spots.
Also read about AMNPS. Very convenient in electro smokers
View Quote
3 2 1 or 2 2 1 for smaller baby back ribs.

Here are some fall of the bone ribs I did last 4th of July

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1885033_Dinner_Pic_July_4th.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top