Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/21/2017 12:32:31 AM EDT
Which one is better as a fuel system cleaner, and why?
Or are they both snake oil?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:53:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Techron CONCENTRATE is good stuff.
Regular Techron will help maintain a clean system. It won't do much for a really dirty one.

ETA - Amsoil PI is also a very good fuel system cleaner. It and Techron concentrate have similar formulations.

Seafoam is Mineral Spirits, Alcohol, and naphtha. Read the MSDS for it and then Google the ingredients.
Some people swear by it, though.
DO NOT put it in the fuel system of a diesel engine. The alcohol is bad sh!t for the expensive fuel pump & injector parts.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:56:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Regular Techron will help maintain a clean system. It won't do much for a really dirty one.

ETA - Amsoil PI is also a very good fuel system cleaner. It and Techron concentrate have similar formulations.

Seafoam is Mineral Spirits, Alcohol, and naphtha. Read the MSDS for it and then Google the ingredients.
DO NOT put it in the fuel system of a diesel engine. The alcohol is bad sh!t for the expensive fuel pump & injector parts.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:04:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I put Seafoam in through my vacuum hose, in my oil, and in the fuel tank... I didn't notice one bit of difference. The plume of smoke coming from the exhaust when you fire the vehicle up 30min later is fun though.

BG supposedly makes good stuff.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:04:27 AM EDT
[#4]
BG 44k, the Glock 19 of fuel system cleaners
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:04:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
FPNI.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:11:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Depends if you have a direct injected engine or not.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:19:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I use berrymans chemtool and bg 44. Spendy, but good. Iirc, i tried seafoam in  some lawn equipment. Didn't seem to help fix their issues.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:27:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Of those 2 I would choose Techron becsuse it contains polyetheramine (PEA). You want to find the fuel system cleaner with the highest % of PEA. Gumout all in one and Regaine also have a high % of PEA.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:34:29 AM EDT
[#10]
How about RXP?

Anyone know anything about it?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:47:20 AM EDT
[#11]
It has been proven that tap water literally works just as well as sea foam.

Don't waste your money.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:58:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Liqui Moly Jectron and BG 44k are the only two I've found to be worth a shit. 
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:01:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Don't waste your money.
View Quote
bullshit ...utter bullshit
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:04:12 AM EDT
[#14]
I can't tell you why but I've had good luck with Techron. My '07 Chevy has 190K on it and it runs smoother after I run a bottle of Techron in the tank. 
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:10:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Zmax
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:12:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Don't waste your money.
View Quote
Proven by whom, and when used in what manner?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:25:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

bullshit ...utter bullshit
View Quote
Oh okay. Plain old water cleaned the head AND increased compression.

Seafoam--can't believe what it did to my engine episode 5--cylinder cleaning test using water!!
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:26:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Usually a spray. Don't need/want big droplets of water. The more atomized, the better.

And there have been more than a few tests done that show the benefits of water ingestion being on par with sea foam. There's some on youtube, a lot on forums, etc.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:27:51 AM EDT
[#19]
I've been using Sea Foam for a few years now on my small engines.  It does help with the inevitable varnish that builds up in small engine carbs that see only occasional use.  That, and a fuel stabilizer on things like my generator, keeps things running mostly smooth.  

My two stroke engines have improved remarkably since I transitioned to Stihl two stroke oil.  I believe it's one of the secrets of Stihl longevity and low maintenance.  

Using a cleaner on a car engine is pretty much a waste of money.  Times have changed since the days of the old two barrel carb.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:30:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Saw a guy on the internet drizzle water into his running lawnmower over a couple of hours, then pull the head to inspect the carbon deposits. How much more proof could you want?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:35:22 AM EDT
[#21]
I just use STP.  I've been using it since the glory days of "The King" (#43).
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:40:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Anecdotal, but; one of the first credit cards I ever got was a Chevron gas card, so I got in the habit of buying all of my fuel on it and paying at the end of the month.

My Ford Ranger was at 170k and running like a top when I wrecked it in 1998. The 1995 F-150 I bought to replace it is still going strong with 314k on it. My daily driver has 140, the wifes car has 130. 90% of the fuel through them was Chevron with Techron.

I'm pretty lackadaisical about maintenance , keep the oil changed, fix stuff that quits working, not a big additives guy or fuel filter changer....

Count me as a believer.

Never had a fuel issue in any of them.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:46:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ySSEzqEa_k
View Quote
Water injection is the old school carbon cleaner. We did that all the time when I turned wrenches and raced in the late 70's and early 80's.

Carburated cars were MUCH more prone to carbon build up in the combustion chambers back in the day.

Little bit O' steam will blow it right out.....

We also used to drizzle ATF down the Carb to " Lubricate the top end". Still haven't figured out how that was supposed to work exactly, but it would make a lot of ticking noises go away....
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:29:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Gumout regane or anything with PEA, which is redline S-1, or techon.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:29:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Chris Fix on Youtube has tested several in the fuel tank cleaners and inspected the cylinders with a camera. I don't think any have made a significant difference.The seafoam spray that you spray into the intake worked best.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:32:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Pretty happy with BG 44k
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:36:08 PM EDT
[#27]
I've had luck with both and sometimes pour in a bottle of each together.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:37:56 PM EDT
[#28]
... have to say; I bought a new Cummins diesel (Dodge Ram 2500) way back in 2004. Still have her to this day. That motor performs phenomenally, and I'm an old guy that has been around awhile. I've never fed her anything other than the standard oil I buy locally. Reluctant to feed her anything other than, based on past performance
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:31:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:43:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Techron for me. Ive used in 2 cycle motors like my weed eater or chainsaw and it cleaned the carbs up quick. You could actually hear the engine smoothing out with just a cap full in the tank.
I used it in my boats with great success. I use it periodically in my cars to keep things clean.

My friend was going to get his injectors replaced on his car. I told him about Techron. He put a bottle in the tank and drove it on the interstate. Cleaned it right up with no injector work needed.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:54:31 PM EDT
[#31]
I work in a refinery that adds Techron to our refined gasoline.  There is a one cylinder combustion engine that runs on a slipstream of preblended gasoline as it's being pumped to a storage tank, used to record knocks, basically verifying octane in the gas.  Pre Techron, this engine was taken out of service yearly to rebuild it and clean out the carbon deposits.  After Techron was developed and put into use, the first year it was noticed the engine looked like new.  It was put on a two year schedule and after two years, it still looked very good.  It's now on a five year cycle but could easily go longer.  Techron is good stuff.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:58:32 PM EDT
[#32]
BG44k made a huge difference in my engine performance (Mazda 6 w/98k mi---smoother, fixed surging issue, more power)
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:03:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Chris Fix on Youtube has tested several in the fuel tank cleaners and inspected the cylinders with a camera. I don't think any have made a significant difference.The seafoam spray that you spray into the intake worked best.
View Quote
i saw that too.  the problem with those tests is that the main benefit of these cleaners is in the injectors and that's not as easy to see visually like those cylinder tests
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:04:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ySSEzqEa_k
View Quote
I am just curious...why would you want to remove the normal carbon layer on the combustion chamber and piston crown?  You do realize that you want that there to help protect the engine from detonation right?  You do realize race engine builders spend a lot of time and money  doing just that with coatings to act just like a carbon layer?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:08:33 PM EDT
[#35]
[b]Quoted:[

I am just curious...why would you want to remove the normal carbon layer on the combustion chamber and piston crown?  You do realize that you want that there to help protect the engine from detonation right?  You do realize race engine builders spend a lot of time and money  doing just that with coatings to act just like a carbon layer?
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:08:57 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote
IMHO.......

I haven't seen either one or any of them do a darn thing for any engine I used them on.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:14:45 PM EDT
[#37]
People with old civics seem to like seafoam for the smoke cloud effect when doing burnouts.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:15:00 PM EDT
[#38]
I've put Chevron gas in my car since I drove it off the lot in 2006 and never anything else. I've put Techron concentrate in it a few times since then, and BG44K once. Has less than 40K miles on it (I don't drive much) but I do near redline shifts often enough so they're not grandma miles. Also only ever used Mobil 1 oil from the second oil change. I bet if I took apart the engine it would look new.

If you are a Costco member, the six pack of Techron goes on sale time to time from $20 to $11. Hell of a lot cheaper than buying them one at a time from Vatozone. Cheap enough to use it at every oil change.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:15:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
In almost 40 years of building engines...normally what you see as "carbon buildup" that is causing issues is on the port side of the valves...not in the combustion chamber....although high mileage engines with worn  valve guides,  valve seals and rings can build up excessive deposits in the combustion chamber...it's not normal on low mileage engines..
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:21:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
@AKSnowRider
How does a coating, of anything, prevent detonation?

Explain to me what causes detonation also, so I can understand how making the combustion chamber smaller, or chemically coating it's surfaces, prevents detonation.

truly, i am curious as my knowledge is suck squeeze bang blow,  and no more.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:28:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Seafoam<Techron
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:32:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
@AKSnowRider

Explain to me what causes detonation also, so I can understand how making the combustion chamber smaller, or chemically coating it's surfaces, prevents detonation.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@AKSnowRider

Here is some basic reading, there is much, much more out there...top engine builders use coatings for a reason, and different coatings to accomplish different things.....

Coatings
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:34:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Ordered the techron concentrate from Amazon.
My DD has 117k+on it and has started having idle issues and feeling sluggish on acceleration.

Hopefully this helps.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:35:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Techron is what the auto makers recommend. I have been to GM, Ford , Volvo and dodge schools they all recommend Techron
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:36:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Anyone ever had fuel filter/pump issues after using Techron concentrate in a older (10 year old) gas tank?

Always hear people claim it will "break loose crap in the tank".
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:43:46 PM EDT
[#46]
I have used Seafoam with good results.
Going to try some Techron soon.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:47:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Without filling the crankcase full of water either.

I was waiting for the rod to ventilate the block on that mower.
It probably already has, but Bill Nye the Mower Guy would never post THAT video.

LOL
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:48:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Techron is what the auto makers recommend. I have been to GM, Ford , Volvo and dodge schools they all recommend Techron
View Quote
The gasoline used to set the MPG standard for each new car and truck is made at my refinery, which coincidentally uses Techron.  One particular batch each year.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:53:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It probably already has, but Bill Nye the Mower Guy would never post THAT video.

LOL
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL
Technically, it has always been the best way to remove carbon deposits short of a tear down, even GM has had the procedure in the old shop manuals...but eventually they even went to their own proprietary top end cleaner instead of water..which I always suspected was due to warranty claims from mechanics not doing the water deal right.....although what they charge now days to decarbon the new DI motors makes me laugh...considering what a little judicious use of water would do......of course, a lot of shops are making bank with walnut shells...
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:42:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Which one is better as a fuel system cleaner, and why?
View Quote

Never used techron, but I have had fantastic, meaningful results from sea foam.

One of my bikes sat for two years without being started. Van took a shit one day. Put plates on the bike, started it, wouldn't run on anything but choke-idle jets plugged from fuel evaporating in the float bowls-even Stevie Wonder could have seen it. I put the recommended amount of seafoam in the gas tank, took it for a ride around town, which was about seven miles. When I left it wouldn't idle at all and I had to blip the throttle to keep it running, when I got home it would almost idle without dying. Got up the next morning to ride to work, started and ran fine but still wouldn't idle normally. Rode 16 miles to work, half street, half freeway. By the time I got off the freeway at about 12 miles it not only idled beautifully, the normal lean stumble at throttle opening was gone and it had better driveability than in the entire time I owned it (got it with 14k, had about 20k at the time).

I also had a Jeep with a noise lifter. The normal amount of seafoam didn't fix it, so after I drained the oil (it gets really Black from all the crap it dissolves) I put a shitload in and within 100 miles the knocking stopped.

There is a video on YouTube of a guy that gives his Ford ranger a tuneup with seafoam and (I think) Techron or some kind of motor honey. It is pretty impressive with the results he got. You ought to look for it,
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top