Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2017 8:44:07 AM EDT
A buddy of mine has a tax office. He was showing up on page 3 of Google for our area and terms no matter what we tried. Always bumped down by Jackson Hewitt, H & R Block, etc. I created one of those free Google Business listings, threw some pics in the profile, did the map thing, put in hours, etc. A week later he is the number 3 result on page one.

If you have 10 minutes, go make one, it will do a world of difference for you. I literally did nothing else but that.

CSB for the day
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:53:09 AM EDT
[#1]
That is a great tip, worked for me a year ago, same result. A few you tube videos and some Facebook post's keeps it there it seems.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:08:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Excellent protip.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:13:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
A buddy of mine has a tax office. He was showing up on page 3 of Google for our area and terms no matter what we tried. Always bumped down by Jackson Hewitt, H & R Block, etc. I created one of those free Google Business listings, threw some pics in the profile, did the map thing, put in hours, etc. A week later he is the number 3 result on page one.

If you have 10 minutes, go make one, it will do a world of difference for you. I literally did nothing else but that.

CSB for the day
View Quote

If you are still logged into Google when you are doing your searches, it will affect them.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:18:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't want to be on the first page, too many people calling with what they think I should be able to help them with. My business is precision machining, not automotive machining or sewing machine repair or whatever else they think my shop does. Some will even argue with me when I tell them I don't do automotive machine work, they think that is all a machine shop does because they saw it on TV. The people I serve know how to find me and use more specific search terminology.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:23:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

CSB for the day
View Quote

OP, can you give more detail?  Maybe I am missing it but how do I find the section to create a business listing?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:29:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't want to be on the first page, too many people calling with what they think I should be able to help them with. My business is precision machining, not automotive machining or sewing machine repair or whatever else they think my shop does. Some will even argue with me when I tell them I don't do automotive machine work, they think that is all a machine shop does because they saw it on TV. The people I serve know how to find me and use more specific search terminology.
View Quote
This guy gets it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:33:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

OP, can you give more detail?  Maybe I am missing it but how do I find the section to create a business listing?
View Quote
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=set+up+a+google+business+account
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:33:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

CSB for the day
View Quote

Try a google search from a machine that's not his or yours, and see where his business shows up.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:35:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Try a google search from a machine that's not his or yours, and see where his business shows up.
View Quote
I have. Multiple times.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:36:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This guy gets it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This guy gets it.
He gets what works for him.
I would have to imagine the great majority of businesses would prefer to be on the first page of google.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:37:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:39:27 AM EDT
[#12]
A buddy told me about doing this. I was also told what helps is to open an Adwords account and run a one month campaign. I haven't tried it, but I have had several people tell me that works as well.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:41:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would have to imagine the great majority of businesses would prefer to be on the first page of google.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This guy gets it.
I'm with TinSpinner in that I don't want to be found by tire kickers.   I'm also probably in the minority of business owners in that.

Old roommate's buddy once came down to visit and he was a millionaire many times over from his company that focused on getting companies to the top of search results.  I'm not very tech savy but seemed like a never ending game to stay at the top of google search results and people are willing to pay alot to be there.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:54:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm with TinSpinner in that I don't want to be found by tire kickers.   I'm also probably in the minority of business owners in that.

Old roommate's buddy once came down to visit and he was a millionaire many times over from his company that focused on getting companies to the top of search results.  I'm not very tech savy but seemed like a never ending game to stay at the top of google search results and people are willing to pay alot to be there.
View Quote
Every year the company that built and hosts my website sends a flatbelly over to try and get me to buy all sorts of tags to get on the first page. They are in it for the money and don't understand my business at all, the quote is usually $10-14K per year for what they propose which is ridiculous in my opinion. If I were dependent on the general public for business I would manage my web presence differently though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top