Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2017 12:41:02 PM EDT
There's a camera app installed that is not visible in the app drawer. I noticed this after I installed Titanium Backup and was skimming through the system apps. The app looks like the standard Google Camera app and oddly enough it was listed under the "running apps" menu. Of course I froze the app with TiBu but I'm still a little wierded out. Next step will be taking the box apart to see if there's a camera on the board. Common sense is telling me the app was there because it comes in the standard Gapps package but still...

Am I being spied on by Chinese? Luckily we haven't had sex in that room since I bought it.

The box is the Vorke Z1
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:50:51 PM EDT
[#1]
All your sex are belong to us.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:54:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Tape over the camera. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:55:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Good God man put some damn clothes on........my eyes my eyes
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:58:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tape over the camera. Problem solved.
View Quote
I don't think you read the Op and understood what you read. There's not supposed to be a camera. No where on any spec sheet is a camera listed yet there was a camera app loaded on the device and the app was running.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:01:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Fire up wireshark and see if there is any odd outbound traffic. Could be steaming audio or what ever is on your screen even if there is no camera or some other nefarious stuff or absolutely nothing.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:02:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I don't think you read the Op and understood what you read. There's not supposed to be a camera. No where on any spec sheet is a camera listed yet there was a camera app loaded on the device and the app was running.
View Quote
Have you disassembled the box to see if there is a camera hidden somewhere?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:03:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Are there options to add a camera like the Pi? If there is, it was probably running in the background in the event of a camera install.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:07:47 PM EDT
[#8]
It's android. They just left the camera app in the OS
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:10:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Are there options to add a camera like the Pi? If there is, it was probably running in the background in the event of a camera install.
View Quote
Nope. These boxes (there's tons of them, they are often referred to as "kodi" boxes) are not upgradeable. They are like cheap versions of the Nvidia Shield. If you go to Amazon and search "android box" you'll see a bunch of makes and models including the one I bought.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:11:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Fire up wireshark and see if there is any odd outbound traffic. Could be steaming audio or what ever is on your screen even if there is no camera or some other nefarious stuff or absolutely nothing.
View Quote
looked up wireshark. Only works on windows or linux. Anything like that for android?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:12:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It's android. They just left the camera app in the OS
View Quote
The device maker would have had to compile a ROM to run on this device. You can't just take "android" and load it onto a device. It doesn't work like that.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:14:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Have you disassembled the box to see if there is a camera hidden somewhere?
View Quote
Not yet. I'm at work. When I get home that is my plan.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:15:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Good God man put some damn clothes on........my eyes my eyes
View Quote
Damn.  I thought we had fresh Sasquatch footage.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:37:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
looked up wireshark. Only works on windows or linux. Anything like that for android?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
bitshark.

Bitshark
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:05:24 PM EDT
[#15]
netstat for android also works
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rinacode.android.netstatplus&hl=en

it will also show you which app is making what requests. you'll want to do this anyway - there are many stray connections by random apps. you'll probably need adaway if you want to run a host file block. host file obviously requires root, dunno if you're interested in rooting.

if you want to take it a step further, you can host redirect to local 127 0 0 1. then run a web server to respond. adaway will do advertisements here for you, like a 1x1 clear pixel for images. however, if it's expecting a response for uploading camera video, it might freeze your os until it gets a 'video received' signal, you can copy that signal and simulate it with a webserver.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top