Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/17/2017 7:12:33 PM EDT
Congressman Says Corruption in Washington Is ‘Worse Than You Think’

Corruption on Capitol Hill is “worse than you think,” Rep. Ken Buck, R-Colo., insists.

“When you first get here, you think that you are in some sort of fairy-tale novel,” Buck said. “They wine and dine you and they show you just exactly what it’s like if you play the game. It’s a wonderful life.”

Things quickly change, however, if “you don’t play the game.”
“One of the things that I found startling when I got here is that you have to pay dues to be on a committee,” Buck said.

During the time he served on the House Judiciary Committee, Buck said he had to pay periodic dues of $200,000 to the National Republican Congressional Committee, the campaign committee of the House of Representatives.

Now, as a member of the House Rules Committee, Buck’s periodic dues are $450,000.

The obligation to pay dues, Buck said, forces members of Congress to hold fundraising receptions and encourages corrupt influences from special interest organizations who attend the fundraisers.

Who comes to those receptions with checks?” Buck said. “Lobbyists, special interests that want something in return.
View Quote
I always figured it was the lobbyists that drove the corruption, it is Congress itself that drives it, lobbyists and their benefactors simply benefit from it while the American people get screwed to the wall.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:13:29 PM EDT
[#1]
"Worse than you think".

No, not possible...
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:18:06 PM EDT
[#2]
It's always been bad  "cough Nixon cough ".
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:19:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Tar, feathers, bring out the gimp
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:20:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Congress itself has become hopelessly corrupt.

I say make every member spend no fewer than 270 days of each year within the geographical confines of his/her electing district.  We zap highest-level military commas across the world with satellites, we can do congressional voting the same way.  Put the power closer to the pitchforks.  Make representatives represent, not hobnob and party with other reps on our dime.

And at least 2/3 of current committees need the axe.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:20:40 PM EDT
[#5]
No it's not worse than I think.
I've always thought the Federal Government was one of the most corrupt organizations in the world.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:22:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"Worse than you think".

No, not possible...
View Quote
This. They are lowlife scum, whores in $5000 suits, totally immoral (NOT amoral, immoral), no honor, no sense of decency, and they truly do believe they are better than you.  They are royalty in their own minds and surround themselves with professional asskissers you would be stunned to see in action.  I mean, they literally bow and scrape and grovel and I truly believe they would eat a bowl of their master's shit if told to do so.  Until they lose the election, then they're gone like fleas off a dead dog.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:24:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's very short sighted. It's been corrupt since day one.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:25:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm very close friends with a congressman. It's true and fixing it will be damn near impossible. Term limits could help but, then you still may get the same breed in there based on the support from the .gov base.

Like for example, my term limit is up. So, I give my support to another junior rep that will tow the line. Nothing changes because they are handcuffed by all the bullshit that is held over their heads that got them there.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:25:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So you saying the founders?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:27:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Years ago (back in the 90's) when NW Florida sent Joe Scarborough to Congress he was sent to change things and right the wrongs. 

He came back beat up, defeated and basically said/admitted the same thing. 

It's worse than you can imagine and no one in Washington wants it to change. 

They corrupt you right off the bat and you are either "IN" or "OUT".

You could see that he tried and it hurt him to have failed.

Now you see him in the mornings on one of the liberal news networks.  I think it's his way of getting back at the republicans.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:36:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
3/5ths compromise?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:41:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Representative democracy  is an invention of man, so it is not perfect. I took a tour of the Capital Building in Wash DC, and tour guide said, it is full of "scoundrels and scalawags."
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:43:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I expect 98% corruption . I doubt there is much more
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:44:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Hang 'em all and let's start over.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:44:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
"Worse than you think".

No, not possible...
View Quote
Not. Fucking. Possible.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:52:49 PM EDT
[#16]
You absolutely have no idea of how corrupt the Washington DC cesspool is. The turds even come as church going, never swear, goodie two shoes that are for sale to the highest bidder at any moment.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:55:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Saw that he's been there since 2015 and asked why talk about this now and not before? Then saw he's selling a book... about corruption.

Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:02:13 PM EDT
[#18]
It sounds like what they are doing could be considered racketeering across not only all State lines but international lines as well.

I wonder if we had an FBI leader  that was not every bit as corrupt as congress if they could build a case to have the entire US congress arrested , tried and convicted?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:04:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
3/5ths compromise?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
3/5ths compromise?
Please elaborate.  Are you talking about counting slaves for determining representation in Congress?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:07:02 PM EDT
[#20]
No Shit?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:08:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Patrick Henry "I smelt a rat" ring any bells? Power corrupts, period.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:08:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Do we even have enough helicopters?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:09:38 PM EDT
[#23]
As a native of Chicago if it's anything remotely like here, I think I have a pretty good idea of how corrupt Washington is.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:10:19 PM EDT
[#24]
I think that when you get there they invite you to a party where you get roofied and the next morning video of you fucking a little boy exists.  The threat of that video going public should keep you in line, but if it doesn't the Clinton Suicide Squad does.
So if it's worse than that, damn.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:13:29 PM EDT
[#25]
The American people should cultivate a culture of seppuku for our elected officials. 
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:15:03 PM EDT
[#26]
You don't say?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:15:31 PM EDT
[#27]
I'll take 'term limits' for $1000.00 Alex.  Or as other memes I have seen, '...it's a big club and you aren't in it...'.  And never will be - but just keep paying your tax's serf - need to keep the wheels greased.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:16:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
A)  You would never hear G. Gordon Liddy say that shit.

B)  Anyone worth their salt that was a normal adult during that period would not say that shit.

C)  How painful was it for you to pick out a color for your bird house?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:21:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
"Worse than you think".

No, not possible...
View Quote
came here to post pretty much the same thing.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:24:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Saw that he's been there since 2015 and asked why talk about this now and not before? Then saw he's selling a book... about corruption.

View Quote
How else is he going to come up with the money to get on a committee?

P.S. I like your avatar. That's 1/7th of a ton of awesome.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:26:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'll take 'term limits' for $1000.00 Alex.  Or as other memes I have seen, '...it's a big club and you aren't in it.
View Quote
All term limits will accomplish is to make "the club" bigger.

De-centralizing the power is the only answer.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:29:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I expect 98% corruption . I doubt there is much more
View Quote
That's not so bad...

Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:31:40 PM EDT
[#33]
My old poly sci proff said it the best - the only way to get money out of politics is to get politics out of money.  You'd never end corruption, but to at least reign it in to predictable levels you would need to do the following:

1. Return federal government to a pre-1930s level.  Roads, mail, defense, and not much else.  Disband EPA and majority of federal agencies.  Flat tax or national sales tax without much, if any, deductions.
2. Corruption would flow down to the states, who have general police powers.  But with the FBI controlled by Congress and not the states, it could theoretically prune the corruption from time to time.  
3. Term Limits
4. Increase Congressional/Presidential salaries greatly, say $1,000,000 for Congress, $2,000,000 for Senate, and $4,000,000 for President.  The Founders set high public salaries specifically to lessen the temptation for corruption.

In other words, bet on the snowball in hell.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:31:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

All term limits will accomplish is to make "the club" bigger.

De-centralizing the power is the only answer.
View Quote
It may actually make the club smaller. If every congressperson is timed out just as they get the hang of it, there will be a cadre of un-elected mystery people who are "guiding" the freshmen.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:32:03 PM EDT
[#35]
First post absolutely nails it.

If y'all watched narcos on Netflix, when Escobar sets up in his own "prison" and trucks in whores and booze for his men, growing dope on the balcony... That's how I picture fedgov
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:32:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Government is and always will be as corrupt as it is powerful. The only way to stem the corruption is to limit their power.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:33:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
This. They are lowlife scum, whores in $5000 suits, totally immoral (NOT amoral, immoral), no honor, no sense of decency, and they truly do believe they are better than you.  They are royalty in their own minds and surround themselves with professional asskissers you would be stunned to see in action.  I mean, they literally bow and scrape and grovel and I truly believe they would eat a bowl of their master's shit if told to do so.  Until they lose the election, then they're gone like fleas off a dead dog.
View Quote
That's the closest to what I would post, but your post is a bit more articulate than mine would be.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:36:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It may actually make the club smaller. If every congressperson is timed out just as they get the hang of it, there will be a cadre of un-elected mystery people who are "guiding" the freshmen.
View Quote
Or instead of running again the jackass at the end of his terms uses all that clout and free shit to campaign for his hand-picked successor (who naturally is already hip to the DC scene).  Then the retired asshole takes a 7-figure "consulting" job and stays in the club.

The "un-elected mystery people" are a very large part of the problem.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:39:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The "un-elected mystery people" are a very large part of the problem.
View Quote
Agreed.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:42:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
First post absolutely nails it.

If y'all watched narcos on Netflix, when Escobar sets up in his own "prison" and trucks in whores and booze for his men, growing dope on the balcony... That's how I picture fedgov
View Quote

Fedgov isn't nearly that efficient.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:59:40 PM EDT
[#41]
FPNI
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:09:22 PM EDT
[#42]
How long before the whole thing implodes?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:19:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Wow. This is beyond repair.

What now??
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:19:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Do we even have enough helicopters?
View Quote
Possibly..

We do have plenty of fuel though.

"You can't just drop everyone in congress from heli...."

"That's where you're wrong kiddo!"
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:22:11 PM EDT
[#45]
We're just a first world banana republic.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:24:55 PM EDT
[#46]
And that's exactly why the people need to close it all down.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:26:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Perhaps if the voting majority of Americans weren't brainwashed by the MSM and pop culture these types of things would be a little more obvious. Sad...our founding fathers have truly died in vain. 
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:26:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Money talks, bullshit walks
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:26:43 PM EDT
[#49]
I believe it probably is worse than I think, since I suppose theres all sorts of ways to extort, lie and outright steal that I've never conceived.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:28:54 PM EDT
[#50]
"worse than you think"

He underestimates how bad most of us think it is.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top