Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2017 3:10:15 PM EDT
Thinking about getting one of those cheap $50 wireless backup camera kits off of Amazon to put on the back of my camper so I can see what's going on behind me as I'm driving down the road.  How do those wirless kits work?  Any info would be great.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:27:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I've done wireless and have moved to a wired system and I love having it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CTLGSZO?tag=vglnk-c102-20
Hopkins Camera

Have heard good things about the I Ball system, but I wanted a full time system.

ETA The wireless I had was a cheap one and didn't even have a UV coating on the lens, which is what caused it to be useless after a year or so on the truck.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:21:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Are there no wireless ones that work well?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:37:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I had a cheap wifi one from ebay on my last truck that used my iphone for a monitor.  I hooked it up with a switch to turn it on instead of using the reverse light to activate it.  The picture quality was better that the factory back up came in my 2014 chevy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:01:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Peak wireless system on my truck.

The only downside is that I have to unplug it when my truck is parked at home.  The WiFi picks up my home WiFi and the monitor runs (displays nothing, but is on), so over a day or two it runs the battery down.

I installed it as a back up camera (only comes on when shifted into reverse).  I wish I'd done it as a full-time camera.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:14:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I picked up a $50 kit on ebay last summer and put on my motorhome, works just fine while driving down the road and backing to you don't run over something and I can monitor if I am towing the boat, I just have it hooked up so I can plug into the power jack in the cab and see what is going on, just make sure to turn it off when not in your vehicle or it could run down your battery.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:39:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a Peak wireless system on my truck.

www.amazon.com/dp/B01341WUYAThe only downside is that I have to unplug it when my truck is parked at home.  The WiFi picks up my home WiFi and the monitor runs (displays nothing, but is on), so over a day or two it runs the battery down.

I installed it as a back up camera (only comes on when shifted into reverse).  I wish I'd done it as a full-time camera.
View Quote
I put a Peak wireless one in my van back in 2008.  Love it.  I ended up wiring it to a circuit powered off the ignition switch because it would suck my battery down. 

Back when I installed it there wasn't as much wireless stuff around so it was rare that it would trigger unless I actually shifted into reverse.  Nowadays there are so many wireless signals floating around that it triggers all the damn time and I end up just turning it off if I'm not backing up.  One of these days I'm going to just hardwire it.

Every couple months it will not show the picture when I go to back up.  I have to get out, pop the hatch, jiggle the wires connecting to the wireless unit, then it starts working again.

Mine is also wired into my dvd/stereo so I can play movies on it.

I noticed in the reviews on Amazon someone mentioned it won't work if your vehicle has bluetooth.  I have an aftermarket Pioneer headunit with bluetooth and I haven't had any issues.  Before that I had an aftermarket bluetooth box that plugged into my factory stereo that worked fine too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top