Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2017 6:01:38 PM EDT
I have a set of Blizzak tires on my Outback DD I've ran for two winters 2015 and 2017. Would you swap these out with another set of all season radials for this summer or continue to run these then replace them in the fall? Do you think the tread life good enough to run in 4-6" of snow next winter?

Attachment Attached File

Tires are 3 years old, I didn't use them winter of 2016 because the tires I swapped them with two summers ago were cheap Walmart tires I got at a good deal and they were snow tires.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:02:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Keep for the winter.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:03:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Run them, re-evaluate before winter.

No point in short changing the mileage out of a tire, they cost more every year.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:13:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Snow tires are only really effective until 50% wear.
Yours look like you can get at least another year out of them.

You could also consider keeping a separate winter set of good snow tires on crappy wheels, then use your good wheels for the summer.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Run them until fall and then re-evaluate the tread depth.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:15:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I can get a set of AS radials from Walmart for $57 ea, which would be cheaper than buying new Blizzaks next fall. Hate to run the Blizzaks thru the summer if the tire tread depth is still reasonable and I can still use them next winter.

(BTW, a local tire shop I use is closed and I will try them first if they have the tires cheap enough, if not it's off to Walmart I go)
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:17:38 PM EDT
[#6]
FPNI

Why ruin a set of snow tires by using them in the summer? Not to mention your mileage will suck. If it were me I'd buy a set of LRR tires and mount them on your OEM wheels then buy a set of steelies for those Blizzaks.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:21:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Local shop, if I go thru them, will swap the tires back and forth.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:22:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Driving on those tires in the summer is a really bad idea. Save them for winter.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:27:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Driving on those tires in the summer is a really bad idea. Save them for winter.
View Quote
You are correct, that last set of snow tires I ran in the summer got to be a real challenge driving on Rte. 219 in the rain. But they were not Blizzaks, I swear by this tire for winter driving.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:40:45 PM EDT
[#10]
as everyone has said, I would take em off and save for next year.

I used General Artic Max on my wifes AWD Lancer and they were awesome.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:49:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Snow tires are for snow and ice. Put on some summer or all season tires and run those until it's time for snow and ice again.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:42:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
as everyone has said, I would take em off and save for next year.

I used General Artic Max on my wifes AWD Lancer and they were awesome.
View Quote
I had these on my Subaru, they are like truck tires but they work great
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:56:13 AM EDT
[#13]
why are you using a penny?  just look at the wear bars.   If flush with tire, replace.  

If not flush, keep on truckin.

Link Posted: 4/16/2017 7:12:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Because most dedicated winter tires do not have wear bars.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top