Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 99
Posted: 3/21/2017 7:23:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony]
I will try to respond to your question with a mention @
or if you need me, PM or @ me.

---

Number one things you should do to your kia

Change oil every 4000 miles or 6 months, or 3000 miles or 6 months if you have a turbo engine, most likely you fall under severe driving conditions so you can't go the full 8000 or 1 year, just change it, or bad things can happen.

Change your trans fluid every "60k severe" to "100k normal" with oem fluid, DCT and old school manuals are 75k, I don't care what the manual says, ignore it, i have seen to much shit first hand, "lifetime fluid is bullshit"

Differentials and PTUs vary a bit but 75k is a good rounded off number.

We ABSOLUTELY HATE aftermarket remote starts, i cant say for other manufactures, but are systems are sensitive anytime you tap in to something that was not designed to have any more strain on it, they can fuck up so much stuff its crazy, dash clusters, radios, power locks, freaking engine control problems, list goes on, OEM remote start or bust.

For god sakes if you're going to buy a Kia and you want one with the sunroof buy one with the sunroof and don't make some aftermarket company install one
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 2:16:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Stitches1974:

@LittlePony

Constant battery drain. In the shop 20+ times within 2 years of ownership. 2 of those times it was in the shop for 30+ days. Both of those issues alone each met the requirement of NY lemon law.

"Duty to Repair:

A reasonable chance for a manufacturer or its authorized agent to repair a problem for a new car is considered to be:

Four or more attempts to repair and the problem continues to exist; OR The car is out of service by reason of repair of one or more problems for a cumulative total of 30 days or more."

Even that being the case, KIA refused to take the vehicle back, so a lawsuit was filed and my mother won.

View Quote

Parasitic draw issue huh?

I bet I could have figured it out in a few days.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 3:22:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Inspected a couple of Pro Ceeds lately, the back end has that Porsche design language that I really like.

Goddamn, am I really considering a KIA for my next daily?
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 3:52:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By RX-78-2:
Inspected a couple of Pro Ceeds lately, the back end has that Porsche design language that I really like.

https://www.motoringresearch.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/5015.jpg

Goddamn, am I really considering a KIA for my next daily?
View Quote

Well we do have quite a few Germans on our design teams
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 4:36:36 PM EDT
[#4]
My wife is still loving her Cadenza Technology.  8000 miles and no issues as expected.  She raves about how comfortable it is.

I'm finally putting some miles on my Telluride.  So easy to drive with all the technology in it.  Very roomy and comfortable.  The A/C seats have been great this past month.  No issues.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 4:37:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Triggerstuck:
My wife is still loving her Cadenza Technology.  8000 miles and no issues as expected.  She raves about how comfortable it is.

I'm finally putting some miles on my Telluride.  So easy to drive with all the technology in it.  Very roomy and comfortable.  The A/C seats have been great this past month.  No issues.
View Quote

Glad to hear
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 4:46:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Looking for an inexpensive compact sedan for my elderly mom, the Rio looks good. Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 5:44:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#7]
Originally Posted By diggerwolf:
Looking for an inexpensive compact sedan for my elderly mom, the Rio looks good. Any thoughts?
View Quote

It's a great basic car that has very little to go wrong

It's a touch tinny because it's so light and small so it's a little noisy on the highway but it is a great Intown vehicle otherwise

It is however a little low to the I ground which bothers some people with bad knees or back issues so the soul is often preferred instead but that is also about 5 grand more

This is if we are talking about new cars of course

@diggerwolf
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 6:36:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By LittlePony:

It's a touch tinny because it's so light and small so it's a little noisy on the highway but it is a great Intown vehicle otherwise

It is however a little low to the I ground which bothers some people with bad knees or back issues so the soul is often preferred instead but that is also about 5 grand more

@diggerwolf
View Quote

Good to know. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 4:05:14 PM EDT
[#9]
@Triggerstuck

I wanted to let you know that the refreshed Cadenza is officially in the states finally and is already on the website

Just giving you an update since you inquired upon it a while ago
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 5:01:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Triggerstuck] [#10]
Thanks.  She loves her '19.  Probably keep it for about 3-4 years like normally.  That K5 though.  What a great looking car in person.
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 5:57:56 PM EDT
[#11]

@diggerwolf
View Quote

I feel like a Soul would be a better choice if she can swing the $$.
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 6:02:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#12]
So KIA has a new engine coming: The 2.5 Liter turbo, set to make 277 horsepower in the Sorento and 290 HP in the K5.
Going to be the top engine choice in the K5, helping it compete with the Honda Accord, Acura TLX, etc.

So KIA will then have:
1.6T - 201 HP
2.0T - 255 HP
2.5T - 290 HP
3.3TT- 375 hp

Kind of makes me wonder if the 2.0T will be retired.

One can only assume that the new 2.5T will be the new base engine in the Kia Stinger...
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 6:33:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By djkest:
So KIA has a new engine coming: The 2.5 Liter turbo, set to make 277 horsepower in the Sorento and 290 HP in the K5.
Going to be the top engine choice in the K5, helping it compete with the Honda Accord, Acura TLX, etc.

So KIA will then have:
1.6T - 201 HP
2.0T - 255 HP
2.5T - 290 HP
3.3TT- 375 hp

Kind of makes me wonder if the 2.0T will be retired.

One can only assume that the new 2.5T will be the new base engine in the Kia Stinger...
View Quote

It will retired totally after the new generation Sportage comes out to my knowledge

And yes the new 2.5 T is in the soon-coming refresh Stinger which I have some nice little improvements which includes a 10 and a quarter inch screen now
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 7:40:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 8:36:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:

i learned to drive in a 75 toyota celica gt. those wish they had the quality of the early kias...lol
View Quote

indeed

and most of my fav cars are from 75 to 85

i know all about how shitty cars were back then
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 10:06:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wmagrush] [#16]
As a Kia owner, I got a class action lawsuit notice today about short block engine trouble, including 2019 and earlier Sportage. States many options about joining or not joining the lawsuit. Bottom line is get new engine management software update and the engine will have a lifetime warranty.

Anyone else get this notice?
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 8:51:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#17]
Originally Posted By wmagrush:
As a Kia owner, I got a class action lawsuit notice today about short block engine trouble, including 2019 and earlier Sportage. States many options about joining or not joining the lawsuit. Bottom line is get new engine management software update and the engine will have a lifetime warranty.

View Quote

You just now got that?

That's been around for a little while.

Bottom line is you are totally covered

What I speak of is the PI1802/1803

The annoying thing is is that it is not even Kia's fault, it's Hyundais
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 9:29:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wmagrush] [#18]
I got the software update a while ago, but did not know it was attached to, or the result of a lawsuit. The sportage is at 142k miles and except for the cruise control having reset problems at about 50k, only normal wear items so far.

I’m still waiting on the ‘fix’ for GMC airbags.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 10:23:14 AM EDT
[#19]
I got the software update a while ago, but did not know it was attached to, or the result of a lawsuit. The sportage is at 142k miles and except for the cruise control having reset problems at about 50k, only normal wear items so far.

I’m still waiting on the ‘fix’ for GMC airbags.
View Quote

Yeah having a shaped charge in your steering wheel is not nice, we don't use Takata for our airbag so we don't have that giant recall
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 2:47:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#20]
I just saw a story today that claimed the 2021 Kia Stinger will have the 2.0T, 2.5T, or 3.3TT all as engine choices. I'm not sure if that's true.

They also said the 2.5T will be rated at 300 hp in the Stinger, and the 3.3TT is being upgraded with a variable exhaust valve that increases the HP by ... 3 but also makes it sound meaner at WOT.

The funny thing is, the 3.3 V-6 feels nice in the Sorento at 4500 lbs, in the 4000 lb stinger it's gotta be even nicer with the turbos. I kind of wish they would shrink the stinger down just a little though.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 6:18:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I just saw a story today that claimed the 2021 Kia Stinger will have the 2.0T, 2.5T, or 3.3TT all as engine choices. I'm not sure if that's true.

They also said the 2.5T will be rated at 300 hp in the Stinger, and the 3.3TT is being upgraded with a variable exhaust valve that increases the HP by ... 3 but also makes it sound meaner at WOT.

The funny thing is, the 3.3 V-6 feels nice in the Sorento at 4500 lbs, in the 4000 lb stinger it's gotta be even nicer with the turbos. I kind of wish they would shrink the stinger down just a little though.
View Quote

The two liter turbo that there are probably talking about this actually the crdi aka the turbo diesel option which is really only available in Europe, Korea and a few other places

@djkest
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Some what based on this thread I just got a used 2020 Sportage. I'll have to check in with the local dealer to get my car on their system.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 11:20:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AR15Texan] [#23]

View Quote

Just got that last week for my 2012 Hyundai Sonata.  The engine was replaced under warranty for the death rattle this February.  Still fighting Hyundai for reimbursement of rental, Uber, and tow.  I planned on selling it once it hit the 10-yr warranty expiration but might keep it now if I get lifetime short block replacements.  I'm gonna run WOT more than usual now.
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 2:07:24 AM EDT
[#24]

The two liter turbo that there are probably talking about this actually the crdi aka the turbo diesel option which is really only available in Europe, Korea and a few other places

@djkest
View Quote

The current base engine is a 2.0T in the Stinger, no?
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 7:58:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Stitches1974] [#25]

View Quote

It is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kia_Stinger

I think he's thinking of the 2.2 motor.

"For the European and Korean markets, the Stinger is offered with a base 2.2-liter CRDi diesel I4 that produces 197 horsepower (200 PS; 147 kW)."
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 8:05:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By AR15Texan:

Just got that last week for my 2012 Hyundai Sonata.  The engine was replaced under warranty for the death rattle this February.  Still fighting Hyundai for reimbursement of rental, Uber, and tow.  I planned on selling it once it hit the 10-yr warranty expiration but might keep it now if I get lifetime short block replacements.  I'm gonna run WOT more than usual now.
View Quote

Hyundai does not cover the tow or rental ... wtf?

At Kia we do

@AR15Texan
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 8:06:48 AM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

Yes but it should disappear after the refresh gets here I think
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 9:07:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Stitches1974] [#28]

Yes but it should disappear after the refresh gets here I think
View Quote

Multiple outlets are reporting that it will be staying.

"On Thursday, Kia said the 2021 Stinger will arrive in the US with three engine options -- with a 2.5-liter turbo-four the new kid in town. It joins the 2.0-liter turbo-four (the base engine) and the range topping 3.3-liter twin-turbo V6.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2021-kia-stinger-new-engine-turbo/#:~:text=On%20Thursday%2C%20Kia%20said%20the,%2Dliter%20twin%2Dturbo%20V6.

"The 2021 Stinger is keeping the entry-level 2.0-liter engine with 251 hp at 6,200 rpm and 260 lb-ft (353 Nm) from 1,400 rpm."

https://www.motor1.com/news/441100/2021-kia-stinger-engines-revealed/
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 10:34:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AR15Texan] [#29]

Hyundai does not cover the tow or rental ... wtf?

At Kia we do

@AR15Texan
View Quote

No, they claim they do but Hyundai corporate is making it difficult and the service writer at the dealership has given me the "we can't do anything for you".  

Hyundai makes you use a website to upload the receipts.  Then weeks later they email me a message saying that receipts are not enough, they want to see your credit card statements with each line item charge on it.

Then they make it impossible to add documents to your original claim.  No real person to talk to about it.  Online is the only way to deal with it through their automated process.  I guess I will be seeking reimbursement through the class action lawsuit now.

They are also kicking back on the car rental.  They said I need to explain why I had a 2-week rental period when the car was repaired within 12-days.  I bought the rental for 1-week but the dealership did not have the parts yet (long block and turbo) and they needed the car longer.   I discussed with the dealership contact and I told him after 4-days a week rental contract is less money.  He agreed to get another week as they were still waiting for the parts.  So I saved Hyundai $70+ on the rental and they want an explanation why.
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 11:33:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Thinking about getting my girlfriend a 2014>2019 Soul.  Probably going with the ! because I like her.  What's the best motor?  Are there any mechanical issues to look for?

Do warranties transfer to the new owner?
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 11:54:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By eodinert:
Thinking about getting my girlfriend a 2014>2019 Soul.  Probably going with the ! because I like her.  What's the best motor?  Are there any mechanical issues to look for?

View Quote

The second owner should have the balance of a 5yr*/60k mile warranty. Unless it's a CPO car IIRC. I got a used 2017 Niro and will be under warranty until Apr '22 or 60k miles.

*5yrs from date of original purchase by first owner

Link Posted: 8/28/2020 11:58:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By AR15Texan:

No, they claim they do but Hyundai corporate is making it difficult and the service writer at the dealership has given me the "we can't do anything for you".  

Hyundai makes you use a website to upload the receipts.  Then weeks later they email me a message saying that receipts are not enough, they want to see your credit card statements with each line item charge on it.

Then they make it impossible to add documents to your original claim.  No real person to talk to about it.  Online is the only way to deal with it through their automated process.  I guess I will be seeking reimbursement through the class action lawsuit now.

They are also kicking back on the car rental.  They said I need to explain why I had a 2-week rental period when the car was repaired within 12-days.  I bought the rental for 1-week but the dealership did not have the parts yet (long block and turbo) and they needed the car longer.   I discussed with the dealership contact and I told him after 4-days a week rental contract is less money.  He agreed to get another week as the were still waiting for the parts.  So I saved Hyundai $70+ on the rental and they want an explanation why.
View Quote

I don't know what to say

At Kia we don't have any of that nonsense

I'm sorry you're going through the hassle you are now, wish I could help.

We maybe both tied together but we are not as tied together as say GM is, so we both do some things differently from each other, over the years I have learned that we seem to treat our customers better you are a perfect example of that situation

@AR15Texan
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 12:00:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By eodinert:

View Quote

The model he want to look for are from 2017 to 2019, that's the refresh and has a bunch of little improvements that resolve some of the earlier issues so they are pretty much good to go

Most of the time the original 10/100 warranty doesn't transfer however there is some ppos that do have a 10/100 if the dealer is willing to pay extra for it, they typically do that for 3 year lease trade ins

@eodinert
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 12:33:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Cool.  Good to know.. Thx.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 10:51:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Was looking up prices for 2018 Stingers and I had no idea KIA offered them with a 2.2 liter diesel as well. This is really interesting for someone who commutes a lot of miles.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 12:26:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By RX-78-2:
Was looking up prices for 2018 Stingers and I had no idea KIA offered them with a 2.2 liter diesel as well. This is really interesting for someone who commutes a lot of miles.
View Quote

they are quite torquey but I just can't see having a diesel engine in a sedan, especially a sport sedan.

But perhaps that is due to my American upbringing, having nothing but a gasoline engine in a car in America is just ... sacrilege and weird.

Here in America diesel engines really are just a truck thing
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 12:38:15 PM EDT
[#37]
What all does the sport mode on my wife’s 2019 V6 Sorento modify? It sure makes it a lot more fun to drive than the standard comfort setting.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 1:30:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By southlak9cop:
What all does the sport mode on my wife’s 2019 V6 Sorento modify? It sure makes it a lot more fun to drive than the standard comfort setting.
View Quote

Throttle response, transmission shifting a bunch of  things.

Even I can't give you all the specifics on it, it's all software stuff after all, but I can tell you that Albert Biermann and his team have their hands in everything when it comes to making our cars more sporting.

@southlak9cop
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 1:36:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Hey LP, Mrs. FOGeologist and I are considering a Telluride for her car next year when we get some of our debts in order. We want something that can do a little light offroading and tow a half-decent trailer for park-camping. Can the Telluride actually go off road or is it just a glorified car-based station wagon for the mall?

@LittlePony
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 2:01:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By FOGeologist:
Hey LP, Mrs. FOGeologist and I are considering a Telluride for her car next year when we get some of our debts in order. We want something that can do a little light offroading and tow a half-decent trailer for park-camping. Can the Telluride actually go off road or is it just a glorified car-based station wagon for the mall?

@LittlePony
View Quote

Anything more than a gravel road with dips and potholes is asking a bit much I think, anything more than that and you need a 4Runner or Wrangler instead.

With the tow package it has self- leveling rear suspension with a ratcheting type absorber, it can pull 5000 pounds.

@FOGeologist
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 2:58:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Thanks, LP, you're the king.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 3:03:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Gotta say my Wife is all about the Teluride/Palisade now.  There's nothing like it on the market now that the Flex is out of production.  Everything else is too small or too big or not nice enough.  I'm all in for a Bronco once the ~$1400/mo in private pre-school and Kindergarten runs it's course over the next two years.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 3:05:46 PM EDT
[#43]
My wife has a 2019 Kia Forte, we bought it a year ago and it only has 3400 miles. Yesterday she got in it, and plugged her phone in. The screen changed and she couldn't get it to respond so she shut the car off and pulled the key out. The radio would not turn off. Starting and turning the car off multiple times would not turn the radio off. I unhooked the battery and it finally turned off. It hasn't done it again since. I found a video on youtube that is identical to what happened to her.

2019 Kia Forte Radio Problem

What's the fix?

- Clint
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 3:11:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 4:12:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Alaskacajun:
My wife has a 2019 Kia Forte, we bought it a year ago and it only has 3400 miles. Yesterday she got in it, and plugged her phone in. The screen changed and she couldn't get it to respond so she shut the car off and pulled the key out. The radio would not turn off. Starting and turning the car off multiple times would not turn the radio off. I unhooked the battery and it finally turned off. It hasn't done it again since. I found a video on youtube that is identical to what happened to her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx3cpDo0B4o

What's the fix?

- Clint
View Quote

Look for a small hole near the radio knobs. It's a reset button. push it with a pin or similar object. That should reset the system when it goes out.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 4:19:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By anothergene:
I just hit 13,000 miles on my '15 Soul.

My only problem is the dealership telling me my brakes are rusted & pitted and my engine air filter is dirty...$780 as I recall.

The brakes look like new as does the air filter !

The same dealership that screwed me out of the $500 "military incentive" they offered back then.
View Quote

This is why you should be glad you have some basic knowledge about mechanical things and can see with your own eyes that you are being BS'd. Someone less knowledgeable (most americans) would take that shady service manager on his word and hand over the cash. BTW tell that dealership to get bent and warn others to avoid.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 4:55:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Alaskacajun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx3cpDo0B4o

What's the fix?

- Clint
View Quote

Car electronics are quite reliable nowadays often more so than your phone or your home computer however they are not perfect

What you had was a simple glitch, somewhere on the head unit there should be a little tiny dot button just big enough to put a ballpoint pen in, that is the hard reset button which is the equivalent of turning your computer off and then back on, that typically fixed most of the, however if it keeps doing it you might need a new head unit or something strange with your phone is causing the system to crash constantly

To speed up the boot process audio units nowadays stay on in the background on a trickle of battery power that's one reason why it didn't turn off after you turn the car off

@Alaskacajun
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 6:23:15 PM EDT
[#48]

Car electronics are quite reliable nowadays often more so than your phone or your home computer however they are not perfect

What you had was a simple glitch, somewhere on the head unit there should be a little tiny dot button just big enough to put a ballpoint pen in, that is the hard reset button which is the equivalent of turning your computer off and then back on, that typically fixed most of the, however if it keeps doing it you might need a new head unit or something strange with your phone is causing the system to crash constantly

To speed up the boot process audio units nowadays stay on in the background on a trickle of battery power that's one reason why it didn't turn off after you turn the car off

@Alaskacajun
View Quote

Thanks, another video showed that reset button... if it happens again I'll have to give it a try.

- Clint
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 7:01:42 PM EDT
[#49]
I saw a Telluride Nightfall edition in person today. Looks better then I thought it would from the pictures I've seen.
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 7:08:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Can I get handjobs from women I don't even know in a K5?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 99
Top Top