Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/12/2017 1:21:13 AM EDT
Just got to wondering, between the two Marine Legends, which is the most beloved?  Has Mattis replaced Puller in song and legend?
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 1:26:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Chesty, but give Mattis the same amount of time and we'll see.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 1:30:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Different times, different wars, different world.

I'm guessing no WWII era president would have shit all over Mattis like the Halfrican did.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 1:42:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 1:47:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just got to wondering, between the two Marine Legends, which is the most beloved?  Has Mattis replaced Puller in song and legend?
View Quote

Do you have any idea how many poor marines' heads exploded after reading that question?
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 1:48:41 AM EDT
[#5]
This is equivalent to asking the question "Who's more loved: Cecil the Lion or Harambe?"
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 2:13:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Nobody will replace Chesty.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 2:19:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Audie Murphy?
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 2:19:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Chesty was awarded *5* Navy Crosses.

If you're not familiar with the Navy Cross, it's the highest ranked medal awarded by the USN, and second only to the MoH (which is awarded by the President as approved by Congress).

ETA Chesty's also the most decorated Marine in USMC history.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 2:20:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Recruits and candidates don't chant and do cadence about Mattis yet.

Yet.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 2:21:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you're not familiar with the Navy Cross, it's the highest ranked medal awarded by the USN, and second only to the MoH (which is awarded by the President as approved by Congress).

View Quote

I always wanted to read his son's book. I was always heartbroken by his story and wondered how it would have been for him going in with his father being who he was.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 2:35:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I always wanted to read his son's book. I was always heartbroken by his story and wondered how it would have been for him going in with his father being who he was.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't read that and need to. Thanks for the reminder.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 4:36:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Nobody will replace Chesty.
View Quote

I mean never say never but 5 navy crosses is really hard to beat.  Hell one is a fucking huge huge accomplishment let alone 5.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 4:48:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Audie Murphy?
View Quote

Yeah he was a complete bad ass but not a Marine.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 5:36:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Good night Chesty where ever you are
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 5:41:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Chesty had a world war!

Mattis had a desert. Mattis didn't have enough opportunity. But he is still a badass.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 5:43:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Not how it works. 
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 5:44:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Good night Chesty where ever you are
View Quote
Good night Dan Daley where ever you are
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 6:08:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Chesty Puller isn't dead he's just sleeping until we need him again
Along with Dan Daily and Smedley Butler
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 6:36:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Chesty Puller isn't dead he's just sleeping until we need him again
Along with Dan Daily and Smedley Butler
View Quote

Well, wake his ass up, give him what he needs and send him to Iran ASAP!
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 6:58:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Puller, they should upgrade one of his Navy Cross to MOH.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 8:42:58 AM EDT
[#21]
You need to read Marine.  Lot's of good Chesty Puller stories of him in combat between WW1 and WW2 and in Korea.

He and his two "body guards" used to hunt Japanese snipers at night in front of the Marine lines on Guadalcanal (I think, it's been many years).  One body guard carried a Thompson SMG and the other carried a Win. M12 with 00 buckshot.  Chesty carried a match.  He'd light a match (as if lighting his pipe) and then drop/roll.  If a sniper shot at him the bodyguards would move to the tree and shoot the sniper out of the tree.  Sort of like coon hunting with no light and heavy armament.

When he got to Korea and Army officer told him the Marines had it made.  He asked why and the Army officer told him that the "word was out" among the North Koreans not to attack the guys that wore the yellow leggings around the top of their boots/bottom of their pants.  He went back to his staff and told them to order the men to remove the leggings.

When the Chinese/North Koreans surrounded them at Chosin Res. he was reported to have made the comment, "Well, we've got them right where we want them now.  We can shoot in every direction."

One more story (reminded by the pipe lighting) about some men replacing his pipe tobacco with finely chopped up brown rubber bands one time.  They said he lit the pipe and sat there puffing on it like there was nothing wrong.  Ruined that practical joke.

If you haven't read the book.  You need to.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 8:47:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yeah he was a complete bad ass but not a Marine.
View Quote

Yeah. I knew that, Topic headline or poll just doesn`t say that it had to be "bíggest Marine legend".  

Anyways ....
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 8:52:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Mattis combat experience is no where close the Chesty's. Chesty experienced combat as a junior officer, field grade officer, and as a general officer.

Now ya wanna compare brain pans.... that probably another question. Still in a 100 years no one will really remember Mattis but Chesty will continue to live on.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 9:10:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Different time and place, but both had the ability to inspire Marines. I have much hope for the Trump/Mattis team to move the US military away from the social experiment CF they are in now and back to the business of killing/breaking things business when America requires them to do so. I check in on a French Foreign Legion forum and it is full of young USMC who are drawn to the Legion no bullshit approach to being a warrior. I hope that we will soon see a change that will offer the same for our own forces.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 9:14:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Audie Murphy?
View Quote

Don't bring up a Hollywood Elite that, while running from the IRS for
tax evasion, died in a plane crash.

Link Posted: 1/12/2017 9:29:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 9:38:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Puller, he was fighting most of his life, from the Bananana Wars in the teens through WW2 and Korea.  He was right there in the thick of things when the fate of thousands and even the entire world was in his hands.  As awesome as Mattis is, his accomplishments pale by comparison.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 9:42:30 AM EDT
[#28]
I like chesty because he had respect and admiration for the USCG

"As Munro has become an inspiration for so many who have served in the Coast Guard for his sacrifice, one of the men he saved, Lt. Col. Lewis B. “Chesty” Puller would go on to become one of the most decorated members of the Marine Corps. and inspire generations of service himself."

Link
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 9:52:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Puller.

It's hard to compete with 5 Navy Crosses.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 11:23:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Chesty's house was recently up for sale-If Mattis bought it and moved in, would it open a portal to another dimension?
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 3:52:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Our Master Guns re-enlisted in his house in 1993..... you could feel the badassness when you entered.... plus Ms Puller made a damn fine batch of cookies !!!!!

Goodnight Chesty.... and Mrs Puller.... wherever you are !!!!
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 3:58:31 PM EDT
[#32]
My grandfather "met" Chesty a few times in Korea. My grandfather was an ANGLICO and sometimes they'd go out with a recon unit to do recon things (they were attached in teams to whatever unit needed them, during Inchon he was attached to a regular infantry company). During debriefs and whatnot sometimes Puller was there.

One time I asked him if everything they said about Puller was true and he got a faraway look in his eyes and just said, "Oh, yes."
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 4:03:33 PM EDT
[#33]

FIVE Navy Crosses.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 4:17:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Fail for not having Smedley Butler or Daniel Daly in your poll
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 4:25:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Audie Murphy?
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/12/2017 5:12:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 5:15:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Well, wake his ass up, give him what he needs and send him to Iran ASAP!
View Quote

You do not wake Chesty for a shit pile like Iran. You wake Chesty for when the god damn Commie Chinese invade past Nevada.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 5:27:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 5:31:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Well, one's dead, the other alive....hmmmmm
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 6:09:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 6:17:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Guadalcanal, Peleliu, Chosin.

I rest my case, your honor.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 6:20:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 6:26:45 PM EDT
[#43]
I hope I don't step on any Devil Dog's toes, but General Mattis is a more refined, smarter warrior than Chesty ever was.

I voted for Chesty Puller, though.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 6:31:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Chesty Puller would fuck Mattis up and eat his liver while Mattis watched.

They don't make men like Chesty Puller any more
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 6:36:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I hope I don't step on any Devil Dog's toes, but General Mattis is a more refined, smarter warrior than Chesty ever was.

I voted for Chesty Puller, though.
View Quote

I was reading OP Smith's diary from Korea for a grad school project, and Smith mentions that he went to visit Chesty's HQ after Inchon on the may to Seoul and found it set up on a hill on the side facing the NK positions. Smith notes that this isn't correct, but that Chesty will do what Chesty is going to do and doesn't bother to correct him.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 6:42:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Chesty Puller would fuck Mattis up and eat his liver while Mattis watched.

They don't make men like Chesty Puller any more
View Quote
Probably not. 

They'd probably go to a bar and tell sea stories. 
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 6:46:55 PM EDT
[#47]
I like Mattis, but I'm sure Gen Mattis would be more than willing to humble himself at the feet of Chesty Puller to sit and hear the wisdom of the master Marine.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 6:58:31 PM EDT
[#48]
John Basilone anyone?
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 7:07:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Chesty Puller.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 7:09:01 PM EDT
[#50]
What did Mattis say when he was surrounded by the enemy?

Oh. Nevermind.

I'm on the Mattis fan-wagon, but let's not be ridiculous.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top