Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/20/2016 12:52:30 PM EDT
My daughter parked her car this morning in her boyfriend's mom's driveway.  The mom hit it while backing up, scraping the fender and the bumper.  My daughter's car is a 2009 Toyota that I paid cash for and have liability on.  I don't know the specifics of her car other than the Geico insurance policy number.  My kid didn't take a picture of her insurance card, but the mom texted her the policy number.

My understanding is that I should call my insurance, State Farm, to report the accident.  They will contact her insurance, Geico, and go from there.

The mom texted my daughter this:

I don't even know what that means.  I think she works for a lawyer.  I had a bad experience long ago with "getting it fixed outside of insurance", and who cares what my deductible is because it is her insurance that will pay.

An issue is that they are having financial problems.  Mom is injured and didn't work for a bit.  They almost lost their house.  Mom spends money on cigarettes and extravagant Christmas presents, while living paycheck to paycheck.  They look at me as someone who has money, because I paid cash for her car, I paid cash for a recent trip to Europe, etc.  I am not rich, but because I handle my finances like a sane person and don't struggle, they think I'm Richie Rich.

With all of that, I want nothing to do with drama.  Just call my insurance right?

Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:58:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Call your insurer with her policy info.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:58:41 PM EDT
[#2]
If you only have liability coverage then I don't think your insurance is going to do anything for you.  If you had full coverage then you could put in a claim against your policy and your insurance company would then go after theirs.  Regardless, your policy probably has a requirement that you report all incidents.

My guess is you will have to file a claim against her Geico policy and deal with them yourself if you want the car to be repaired.  You shouldn't have to deal with a deductible because it's not your policy.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:59:54 PM EDT
[#3]
You're raising a kid but don't know how insurance works?

ETA: Your understanding is correct. Your insurer will go after her insurance.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:00:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Call Geico and file a claim with them.  They should make an appointment to send an adjuster or give you a local place to get an estimate on repair cost.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:03:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I just want to make sure, because I feel like the drama lama is acoming.  I can feel it in the air, like how animals flee before an earthquake.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:06:48 PM EDT
[#6]
You don't even need to call your insurance. Call Geico start a claim against her policy number and they will take care of it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:06:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you only have liability coverage then I don't think your insurance is going to do anything for you.  If you had full coverage then you could put in a claim against your policy and your insurance company would then go after theirs.  Regardless, your policy probably has a requirement that you report all incidents.

My guess is you will have to file a claim against her Geico policy and deal with them yourself if you want the car to be repaired.  You shouldn't have to deal with a deductible because it's not your policy.
View Quote

This is the correct answer. Just call Geico and let them know what happened. Shouldn't have any issues with Geico.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:07:08 PM EDT
[#8]
whatever you do please get a 2 million dollar under insured uninsured rider on your daughter's car
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:07:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I just want to make sure, because I feel like the drama lama is acoming.  I can feel it in the air, like how animals flee before an earthquake.
View Quote

I think the first step is to bring it to a place you trust to get it looked at to know what you're dealing with first. Then go from there filing a claim. A good shop will spot everything before the adjuster even looks at it to make sure the adjuster gets everything. 

I too would be weary of someone pushing to have it fixed outside of insurance because she knows someone. 

Because it's her fault you won't have to pay your deductible and you can go where you're confident they will do a good job. 
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:08:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Just fuck her and call it even. 
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:08:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can feel it from here. Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:12:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
whatever you do please get a 2 million dollar under insured uninsured rider on your daughter's car
View Quote

I'll get right on that.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:12:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Call Geico and file a claim with them.  They should make an appointment to send an adjuster or give you a local place to get an estimate on repair cost.
View Quote

i don't know about your state, but here in ohio, the insurance company cannot tell you where to get it fixed or steer you to anyone. You get it fixed where you want to. They may/will send an adjuster to verify the damage. Our insurance adjuster was just here looking at the wife car for killing deer with her toyota.

Tell your insurance company and they will defend you,,not because you are sweet or anything,,but because if it is the other insured persons fault, they do not want to pay the bill.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:12:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You don't even need to call your insurance. Call Geico start a claim against her policy number and they will take care of it.
View Quote

You were right.  I called State Farm and they didn't want to know shit about it.  Said to call Geico.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:14:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Also taking it to a shop before filing the claim gives you a chance to make it a little easier on her. Say she has a $1000 deductible and did that amount in damage plus or minus a little bit.  You can go to her with the estimate and give her a chance to write you a check for that amount instead of her taking a hit on her insurance. 

If she refuses or pushes you to use a shop you're not comfortable with then you can open the claim. 
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:14:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not in my experience with an incident similar to the OPs. Insurers only do that when trying to avoid having to pay a claim, er, I mean assigning responsibility for the incident. As OP does not have collision or comprehensive, his insurer has no financial interest and likely won't bother getting involved.

He needs to contact the lady's insurance himself.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:14:57 PM EDT
[#17]
She hit you, why would you have to pay a deductible?
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:15:38 PM EDT
[#18]
If you have liability only on your car your insurance company won't do anything for you. You only have insurance on the other guy and are out in the wind for your car.

This is kind of foolish for a young driver.

Boyfriends mom hit a parked car. She is totally at fault and her insurance covers it.

SHE should call her insurance company and tell them what happened.  Don't know what she means by " if you have a deductible".  

I would call her and ask her if she got in contact with her insurance and if she didn't, is she going to or does she want you to contact them.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:20:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'll get right on that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll get right on that.

You really should. You are opening yourself up to a bunch of heartache if an under insured or uninsured driver hits your daughter. Medical bills pile up fast and right now all you have is liability insurance which is foolish.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:25:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I feel like the drama lama is acoming.  I can feel it in the air, like how animals flee before an earthquake.
View Quote

You aint shittin, Tex.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:30:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Sounds like boyfriend's Mom has made yet another poor life choice by choosing to operate a vehicle in a reckless manner.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:34:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Also taking it to a shop before filing the claim gives you a chance to make it a little easier on her. Say she has a $1000 deductible and did that amount in damage plus or minus a little bit.  You can go to her with the estimate and give her a chance to write you a check for that amount instead of her taking a hit on her insurance. 

If she refuses or pushes you to use a shop you're not comfortable with then you can open the claim. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
If you have liability only on your car your insurance company won't do anything for you. You only have insurance on the other guy and are out in the wind for your car.

This is kind of foolish for a young driver.

Boyfriends mom hit a parked car. She is totally at fault and her insurance covers it.

SHE should call her insurance company and tell them what happened.  Don't know what she means by " if you have a deductible".  

I would call her and ask her if she got in contact with her insurance and if she didn't, is she going to or does she want you to contact them.

I estimate damages to be less than $1000.  Here's the deal.  Everyone in this scenario sees me as Richie Rich.  If I try to get money out of her, it will flat out be an ordeal and I will be the bad guy unless I bend over and just forget it ever happened.

The "if you have a deductible" and "my employer owns body shops" stuff are red flags.

I called Geico and they took the information and are trying to contact her now.  I have not taken the vehicle for an independent evalution, and I really don't see the value in it.  The fender and bumper need a little body work and some paint.  Even a shitty insurance company shouldn't be able to screw me on that.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:37:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Doesn't sound like a big deal, just have the BF's mom pay to have it fixed. Her rates will go up more than the cost to fix the damage.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:40:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Doesn't sound like a big deal, just have the BF's mom pay to have it fixed. Her rates will go up more than the cost to fix the damage.
View Quote

Blood from a turnip, and if I somehow collect it then I will be a bad guy in everyone's eye.  

Insurance is easier, because sure her insurance will go up, but she will not ever actually hand me money and she won't see the insurance spike for a while.  I might be persona non grata for a bit, but it should be much better than trying to collect from a drama lama.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:47:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Upon further review this seems to be an excellent chance for you to give your daughter a lesson on who to voluntarily associate with. This entire situation is a result of being involved with people that make bad choices on the regular.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:52:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Blood from a turnip, and if I somehow collect it then I will be a bad guy in everyone's eye.  

Insurance is easier, because sure her insurance will go up, but she will not ever actually hand me money and she won't see the insurance spike for a while.  I might be persona non grata for a bit, but it should be much better than trying to collect from a drama lama.
View Quote

You keep stating that. You need to stop caring about that and start caring about your automobile. IIRC from previous posts, your daughter is still pretty young. She'll eventually dump the guy she's dating who's probably a tool anyway. You'll always be stuck with a messed up car if you don't fix it right. 

His mother's inability to pilot an automobile on a driveway shouldn't make you the bad guy.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:56:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
She hit you, why would you have to pay a deductible?
View Quote

That's how it works in no fault states.

You pay your deductible, your insurance goes after the other driver's insurance (providing they were listed as the at-fault driver in the report, or it is determined that they were at fault) and they are made whole via the other driver's insurance.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:58:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You keep stating that. You need to stop caring about that and start caring about your automobile. IIRC from previous posts, your daughter is still pretty young. She'll eventually dump the guy she's dating who's probably a tool anyway. You'll always be stuck with a messed up car if you don't fix it right. 

His mother's inability to pilot an automobile on a driveway shouldn't make you the bad guy.
View Quote

I think what he is saying is by dealing directly with the insurance he is removing the personal drama from the equation, he is still getting the car fixed. There is nothing to be gained from dealing with the mother as she is already trying to deny responsibility in the text by mentioning the daughter having a deductible.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:01:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Tell your daughter to break up with him. You should encourage this because you don't want to deal with these people forever. Good luck bro
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:02:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I estimate damages to be less than $1000.  Here's the deal.  Everyone in this scenario sees me as Richie Rich.  If I try to get money out of her, it will flat out be an ordeal and I will be the bad guy unless I bend over and just forget it ever happened.

The "if you have a deductible" and "my employer owns body shops" stuff are red flags.

I called Geico and they took the information and are trying to contact her now.  I have not taken the vehicle for an independent evalution, and I really don't see the value in it.  The fender and bumper need a little body work and some paint.  Even a shitty insurance company shouldn't be able to screw me on that.
View Quote
I understand what you're saying but you're not trying to "get money out of her" you are getting her to pay for the damage done. Either way she will pay. She can pay you or pay the insurance company. If she has any smarts she would choose to pay you directly. 

Now if she she a $500 deductible and did $1,000 in damages then I'd suspect she'd want to use insurance. 

Again it is beneficial to bring it somewhere before even if you want to go through insurance because that shop will spot every little thing so you present the maximum amount to the adjuster.

For example just a couple weeks ago I pulled out of a drive way and caught a road sign and did a bit of damage. I brought it to a shop and he spotted a nick in the rim and tire I never even saw and I believed I looked everything over very well. 
While the adjuster was looking the car over he missed it too, it was only once I was able to point it out to him he added it. So because of the shop I got a new tire and rim added to the claim. 
The adjuster also didn't want to add time for things like dropping the headliner but the shop was able to explain why it was needed for the job and it was then added.

It very well might behoove you to get it checked out. 
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:04:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My daughter parked her car this morning in her boyfriend's mom's driveway.  The mom hit it while backing up, scraping the fender and the bumper.  My daughter's car is a 2009 Toyota that I paid cash for and have liability on.  I don't know the specifics of her car other than the Geico insurance policy number.  My kid didn't take a picture of her insurance card, but the mom texted her the policy number.

My understanding is that I should call my insurance, State Farm, to report the accident.  They will contact her insurance, Geico, and go from there.

The mom texted my daughter this:

http://i.imgur.com/IbQMcsQ.jpg

I don't even know what that means.  I think she works for a lawyer.  I had a bad experience long ago with "getting it fixed outside of insurance", and who cares what my deductible is because it is her insurance that will pay.

An issue is that they are having financial problems.  Mom is injured and didn't work for a bit.  They almost lost their house.  Mom spends money on cigarettes and extravagant Christmas presents, while living paycheck to paycheck.  They look at me as someone who has money, because I paid cash for her car, I paid cash for a recent trip to Europe, etc.  I am not rich, but because I handle my finances like a sane person and don't struggle, they think I'm Richie Rich.

With all of that, I want nothing to do with drama.  Just call my insurance right?
View Quote
Just have insurance deal with it. There's no way the mom is going to pay for it out of pocket.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:05:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You pay your deductible, your insurance goes after the other driver's insurance (providing they were listed as the at-fault driver in the report, or it is determined that they were at fault) and they are made whole via the other driver's insurance.
View Quote

Ah, it finally makes sense.  Texas is not no-fault, but the state she came from a few years ago is.  She is conflating the states.

Now I understand what she is thinking.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:08:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Body shops work for the insurance companies so I'd recommend going outside of insurance if possible.  Otherwise, the shops will deal directly with her insurance company and you will get the cheapest fix they can get away with.

With that said, some shops will cut corners and not properly do a good paint job which you will notice a couple of years down the road.  Depending on the age of you car, this might not matter.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:09:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

correct

or call batman
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:10:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thats not how liabilty coverage works
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:11:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Body shops work for the insurance companies so I'd recommend going outside of insurance if possible.  Otherwise, the shops will deal directly with her insurance company and you will get the cheapest fix they can get away with.

With that said, some shops will cut corners and not properly do a good paint job which you will notice a couple of years down the road.  Depending on the age of you car, this might not matter.
View Quote

They are more likely to cut corners because the insurance company doesn't want to pay them their full rate. 
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:12:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Tell your daughter to break up with him. You should encourage this because you don't want to deal with these people forever. Good luck bro
View Quote

Telling 17-year-old daughters who they can and cannot date always goes over well.

The boy is actually a decent human.  I'm okay with him and hope he does well in life.  Most of his family is okay in my book, too.  

The mom could make better choices, but I think seeing how she lives is good for my daughter.  She contrasts it with how I live, and she sees where certain life choices tend to lead people.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:14:25 PM EDT
[#38]
jeesus people, the mom should pay for the damages to save you both the hit on your insurance, filing a claim for every little bump is the worst thing you can do
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:14:32 PM EDT
[#39]
She hit your car. She doesn't pay a deductible to get your car fixed. Liability covers other peoples damage up to their coverage limit.
If she has damage to her car that she wants fixed, that is were the deductible comes in.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:15:23 PM EDT
[#40]
All depends on how long they have been dating. If under six months then go the Ins route.
If over six months try to work it out for the sake of your daughter.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:15:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is all wrong.  No deductible for the liability side.  The amount of damage she did to your car vs her deductible means dick.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:15:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
jeesus people, the mom should pay for the damages to save you both the hit on your insurance, filing a claim for every little bump is the worst thing you can do
View Quote

Jeesus people, someone hitting your parked car isn't going to put a hit on your insurance.

NOTE: I used to do auto claims for USAA.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:16:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

This would probably be the easiest thing to do and the way i have always done it.

The one time I got my insurance involved (as they complained I never called them on previous claims against other people) it turned into a hassle.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:18:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

This is all wrong.  No deductible for the liability side.  The amount of damage she did to your car vs her deductible means dick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok. Yea I was think of her damage too. 
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:19:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

seems like a lot of people here don't know how auto insurance works.

since leaving USAA as an associate claims adjuster many many years ago I've told several people, 'just let insurance handle it; you don't want to do it under the table, it will come back to bite you.' Everybody who ignored my advice has come to regret it.
Just talk to Geico and let them get the adjuster out there and if they have a preferred shop, take it to their preferred shop.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:19:22 PM EDT
[#46]
I hope your daughter didnt like this guy too much, cause the relationship is done.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:22:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Ok. Yea I was think of her damage too. 
View Quote

Screw the damage to her car. Let her insurance cover it and let her cover the deductible on her damage. If she is in financial issues as you indicated she won't have the cash to pay for your damage AND her damage outside of insurance. YOU WILL GET SCREWED IN THE END.

ETA: now i'm just watching this thread for the stupid advice for the lulz
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:27:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Screw the damage to her car. Let her insurance cover it and let her cover the deductible on her damage. If she is in financial issues as you indicated she won't have the cash to pay for your damage AND her damage outside of insurance. YOU WILL GET SCREWED IN THE END.
View Quote

I agree now. I was thinking how to keep on semi good terms with her but that seems like the best advice for the OP. Especially with his kid so young chances are they won't stay together and if they do mom will have to get over it.

I still think he should bring it to a shop before the adjuster. It will give him a chance to check out a place or two ahead of time as well. At least at the place I went to their original assessment was free because I am using them for the repair as well.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:36:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Stop spreading this shit. No fault means that the other persons insurance is not responsible for your medical bills up to x amount (slightly more complicated but thats the gist of it). It has nothing to do with property damage.
@floridahunter07 @justa_TXguy
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:37:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Call your insurer with her policy info.
View Quote

Not preferable

Call the at-fault party's carrier. If they dick you, call your company
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top