Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2016 12:40:58 PM EDT
I recently paid off all my credit cards and wanted to start using a good rewards card for all my purchases then paying it off every month.

What do you guys recommend?

I have a Capital 1 Quick silver card that gives  1.5% cash back not sure if thats good.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:43:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you use Amazon to make purchases?  They have a couple different types of reward cards.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:45:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Citi 2% cash back card.

1% on purchases
1% when you pay off the balance

No limits, no categories.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:45:38 PM EDT
[#3]
We use capital one venture. %1.5 cash back on any purchase adds up. No limits, no categories
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:27:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Citi 2% cash back card.

1% on purchases

View Quote

This one for all around purchases.  Amazon Card if you do a lot of shopping on there.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:35:42 PM EDT
[#5]
There's not a single "best" rewards card.

Much of it depends on what type of rewards you value.

For me, I do a lot of travel, so the Chase Sapphire Reserve provides the best rewards in my case.

If you haven't already, check out sites like nerdwallet and thepointsguy.  They'll point you in the right direction.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:42:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Citi 2% cash back card.

1% on purchases

View Quote

This one, also no membership.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:43:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Got the Chase Sapphire, we are interested in using points for travel so it made the most sense to us.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:46:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:50:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Guys with travel cards, do your points ever expire for travel or do they just keep building?

I have some years where I don't travel at all then some where I might go 10 different places in a year...
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:09:19 PM EDT
[#10]
There are really 2 reasons to get a rewards card.  Travel, or cash back.  Decide which one is more important to you.  Citi Double Cash, BofA Cash Rewards or the Capitol One card are probably the best for cash.  BofA is even better if you have an account with them.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:17:10 PM EDT
[#11]
We have a Hilton Honors card through Citi. We have yet to pay for a Hilton hotel when we go on vacation. Works out nice. We just made Gold level as well.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:21:10 PM EDT
[#12]
NRA Visa card.

It gives them the rewards.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:21:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:22:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Guys with travel cards, do your points ever expire for travel or do they just keep building?

I have some years where I don't travel at all then some where I might go 10 different places in a year...
View Quote

Capital Ones never expire
Ive been using them since about 2005 or so.
In fact I just got back from last week in Vegas with air and hotel taken care of with reward miles.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:35:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Marriott VISA and United VISA.

Wife and I are flying back to Virginia for Xmas for free.

Next year we're going to London and staying in a Marriott for free.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:36:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I recently paid off all my credit cards and wanted to start using a good rewards card for all my purchases then paying it off every month.

What do you guys recommend?

I have a Capital 1 Quick silver card that gives  1.5% cash back not sure if thats good.
View Quote

I've looked around at a bunch of them, and it seems like they are all about the same.  

Just watch out......as long as you pay your card down each month it's a good deal, but if not...those rewards cards all seem to have really high rates compared to the non-rewards cards.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:43:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I just got the Amazon Rewards Visa + $70 amazon credit. I do lots of shopping there, so it made sense. Im phasing out using my old citi cash back and cabelas card.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:23:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There are really 2 reasons to get a rewards card.  Travel, or cash back.  Decide which one is more important to you.  Citi Double Cash, BofA Cash Rewards or the Capitol One card are probably the best for cash.  BofA is even better if you have an account with them.
View Quote

The B of A card is the best for me.  If you keep over $50k ("platinum member") in your accounts with them the give an additional 75% when you redeem your rewards.  So if I spend $100 on gas I get $5 rewards, plus an extra $3.75 as my bonus.

The rewards are between 1% and 5%, but in my above example that's almost 9% cash back.  I have never heard of another card that offers that much back.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:23:51 PM EDT
[#19]
costco visa by citi
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top